Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
to be fair, is that not representative of many of the kinds students who end up attending here then? cut throat...gunners..etc.. I dont mean to "prove your point" however it was concerning when I attended an event hosted by the school and a student told me (off to the side) the school is full of pretentious gunners. That won't deter me from applying but it is concerning because it is congruent with your first sentence to a degree.
No, it's a very small percentage of our class (I can't speak to the years above me). You'll find gunners at every school.

Members don't see this ad.

My LOR packet was uploaded to AACOMAS on 8/24 and ~5 weeks later it still hadn't been "received" on my PCOM portal so I emailed admissions about this and the response was: "pls allow 2-4 weeks for processing." So I figured I'd wait another week and see if my portal changed.... NOPE. Still no LORs. I'm going to call admissions tomorrow- but has anything like this happened/is currently happening to you guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, mine was received instantaneously but needed some processing

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten an interview recently? I got no news, and wondering if they have been sending it out at all the last few days.

To all my fellow underdogs out there, don't lose hope! I just received a II here, I couldn't believe it! Keep your heads up :)

Timeline:
Secondary Submitted: 7/8/15
Date Complete: 8/24/15
Interview Invite: 10/1/15
Interview date scheduled: 11/2/15

Stats:
In state
LizzyM: 61

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I feel like they are only doing IS right now..

Reactions: 1 users
i submitted my secondary for both campuses on 7/30 but i never got an email from the philly campus saying they received it (got one from the GA campus). my status for the philly campus says my supplemental was never received. i want to call and ask but when i emailed them, i received an automatic reply saying. so we can't contact them about our application at all? ? ? ?
"
Application status information is not provided at any time.

Please be advised that it takes at least 15 business days and possibly longer depending on volume for application materials to be added to an applicant record and accept this message as acknowledgment that your information has been received. We can not verify receipt of materials by phone or email."

I read that if all your materials were marked as received with a date next to it, then your application was under consideration.

I have a date next to everything required, with the last date being done on August 23.

I am assuming this is how people know when they are complete, as PCOM says they do not let people know.

I read that if all your materials were marked as received with a date next to it, then your application was under consideration.

I have a date next to everything required, with the last date being done on August 23.

I am assuming this is how people know when they are complete, as PCOM says they do not let people know.
what can i do then if they won't discuss it over phone and email...
upload_2015-10-1_17-36-41.png

I can't remember how long it took, but I received the secondary at the end of July, and I had a date finished next the supplemental application two weeks later.

If it has been more than 15 days, something is probably wrong.

i got email from PCOM saying that my app is completed... this is for PA campus

I got an email saying my supplemental was complete but not that my entire application was complete.

It said "We ask that you save this information for future reference and log in regularly until you see that all required items have arrived."

I saw that all my items had arrived because dates are next to everything. I never got an email saying my app was complete.

"We can not verify receipt of materials by phone or email."

Thus, I would assume they not notify by email when everything is turned in.

I ask shisong, was your email saying the supplemental was complete or the entire application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary around September 20th and had everything checked off wishin 3 days. No complete email, just one saying "we received your secondary, processing could take 15 days, etc" soon after submission.

Based on my understanding, once everything is marked "received" your app is complete. If it's been more than 2 weeks, I'd contact them.

That's two people with everything marked as received, only got an email for supplemental, did anyone else, like shisong, get an app complete? If not, I can stop my momentary paranoia lol.

I never received a complete e-mail from PCOM. What I think people are referencing is the "Supplemental Received" e-mail:
Dear himitsuda:

This message is to acknowledge the successful processing of your supplemental application to the Osteopathic Medicine program for Fall 2016 term at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine on our Philadelphia Campus.

Blah Blah Blah.

We ask that you save this information for future reference and log in regularly until you see that all required items have arrived. Please allow approximately 15 business days for the processing of items within the Office of Admissions once delivered.

Blah Blah.

Once your application is complete and the Faculty Committee on Admissions has determined if you are qualified, you may be invited to our campus for a personal interview. The invitation is extended via email, so please check your email account on a regular basis as candidates can be selected at any point throughout the application cycle. Application status updates are not available online or via phone/email as candidates selected to interview will be contacted when appropriate.

I just obsessively checked the portal until I saw that everything had a date in the 'received' column (which did take a bit more than 15 business days). After the above e-mail, the only e-mail I got was the II a month later.

Is there any indication they will take sub 25 MCAT? Any range of MCAT available for this school?

Praying to God they offer me an interview invite with a 3.75 Overall, 3.5 science. MPH degree but 23 MCAT. Have had two interviews and been accepted but this is the only school in nation that would/could make me change my decision.

Wow congrats!......do you mind sharing which two schools accepted you? My stats are somewhat similar. Thank you!

Well, I do know some OOS'ers that got II's here but the majority is IS. They haven't really moved here either from what I'm seeing and I'm sure the Pope has something to do with that lol

II this morning! OOS.

II!!!!! First one!

Last edited:
II nov 3! SO excited for this one! OOS applicant submitted 8/26.

Eek, what does it mean if I submitted earlier than people, IS as well, and heard nothing? You think they'd at least reject me first before moving on to IS who applied after me.

Do they review applicants in the order received?

Secondary complete 8/17, OOS. What do you guys think? Is it time to start panicking/calling them?

Are we even allowed to call? I was complete around then, IS, no news . . .

Sure we are. Doesn't mean we'll get any meaningful info, but they'll answer the phone. I've had mixed experiences and heard mixed reviews. You probably saw a weeks ago there was a VERY angry person on this forum who was unhappy with the "customer service." I talked with someone who knew the DO I shadowed so she was really nice, and I talked to someone who couldn't get me off the phone fast enough so I guess it depends. I'm just hoping that calling will somehow jolt them to look at my application but I'm sure that's not how it works

I wouldn't. They have a lot of apps. Probably more than any other year. It's been 6ish weeks since you submitted, and they also may have a preference for IS. I'd give it some time assuming your portal shows everything is received. No call will bump your app to the top for review...

Its been a while since they received my app fee and my letters are still not marked as received. They specifically state to not contact them about this, so what do I do at this point?

Last edited:
They are going to tell you that once your application is complete it is sent to the committee for them to look at. Really that is all they know. Then they will either send out an interview notice or you have to wait until it is over when they send out the thank you for applying yada yada. All the office can do is work on your application then it is out of their hands. You can call but you won't get the answer you want.

Its been 20 business days since they received my app fee and my letters are still not marked as received. They specifically state to not contact them about this, so what do I do at this point?
It is best to email them and ask what is happening. Remember if anything was added to your application AFTER they got your information you have to tell them. This is causing a whole lot of problems for a whole lot of people and there is nothing they can do about it.

those who received II whom are out of state, would you mind sharing your stats and when you were marked complete?

Reactions: 4 users
Do any of you think it's somewhat late to submit my secondary to this school now? I'm hearing how this is one of the tougher DO schools to get into...

Do any of you think it's somewhat late to submit my secondary to this school now? I'm hearing how this is one of the tougher DO schools to get into...

Go for it. Only a few ii have gone out.

My LORs got updated and in their online portal next to "Pre-Health Advsr/Committee" it has the name of my Undergrad University. I didn't have a committee or advisor letter so I sent 2 science and 1 non-science letter. Does this mean they received all my LORs correctly?

My LORs got updated and in their online portal next to "Pre-Health Advsr/Committee" it has the name of my Undergrad University. I didn't have a committee or advisor letter so I sent 2 science and 1 non-science letter. Does this mean they received all my LORs correctly?
Contact admissions! Don't depend upon an answer on SDN for this. Everyone could be different! Too important not to go to the people in the know!

I also didn't have a committee letter, and my university name is in that column. I'm assuming it's a-ok, personally not calling about that. The form says they update as received -- I assume they would contact you or leave it blank if it didn't fulfill the rough criteria.

Lord Goro, the one true deity, the destroyer of all false gods, our savior...:bow: if you extend me an II by the end of this week I will sacrifice the dogs in @silvermecca's AV to a back alley oriental restaurant that "doesnt" have dog on their menu :bow: Thank you.

Slightly racist. Lol.

I have an important question.
So, I just added a bunch of achievements and activities that I didn't add once I submitted my primary. I pressed the "Update my application" button but don't know if PCOM will ever download the new application or just keep the old application on file without half my extracurriculars/achievements. If it makes a difference, I am still not marked complete here because they haven't received my LORs yet from Interfolio. Should I give them a call or email and let them know that they should download the new application?
This is my concern for all my DO schools but, given that PCOM is my first choice, I want to be absolutely sure that they have the updated application on file.

I tried to do that last year and was told all they accept in updates are transcripts and MCAT scores. Can't imagine the amount of work to pull one application let alone having to keep pulling for updates. Don't think PCOM will do that at all.

I tried to do that last year and was told all they accept in updates are transcripts and MCAT scores. Can't imagine the amount of work to pull one application let alone having to keep pulling for updates. Don't think PCOM will do that at all.
hmmm, I just called them and they said that the updates go directly to my file and they there was no need to download a new one because it's already on file. I don't know if they were being honest or if they were just trying to shut me up quickly. Should I send them an email? The updates literally have 10 achievements/experiences since graduation, summer, etc.

hmmm, I just called them and they said that the updates go directly to my file and they there was no need to download a new one because it's already on file. I don't know if they were being honest or if they were just trying to shut me up quickly. Should I send them an email? The updates literally have 10 achievements/experiences since graduation, summer, etc.
If it was me, I would send them an email. Better safe than sorry! Just my advice. I was very neurotic applying to med schools last year. I had no qualms in contacting them about concerns etc. You are only going to get one good chance with all of them this year. Make it your best effort. 10 achievements/experiences since graduation etc is a good addition to your profile. Just my thinking!

If it was me, I would send them an email. Better safe than sorry! Just my advice. I was very neurotic applying to med schools last year. I had no qualms in contacting them about concerns etc. You are only going to get one good chance with all of them this year. Make it your best effort. 10 achievements/experiences since graduation etc is a good addition to your profile. Just my thinking!

Yeah. What had happened was that AACOMAS was glitching and not letting me add anything in achievements/extracurriculars so I just left it aside and completely forgot about it. Then, a few days ago, I got an email from PCOM saying that they had received my primary and inviting me to send in my secondary and I remembered that my primary is still incomplete. I was able to fiddle around with AACOMAS until I got all my stuff in complete and now I'm worried the 3 schools I send my primary too have already downloaded the weak app. I'll send them an email tonight to let them know and, hopefully, they can make sure to put the new application in my file instead of the old one. In the mean time, I'm working with this secondary. I've heard how unsupportive the admissions staff of this school is so I hope they help me out. I'm significantly over their average stats for admissions. We'll see what happens.