Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you do a Masters or post-bacc program? I had a 3.1 cGPA & 2.89 sGPA from undergrad - I also had to work but I did a MS with a 3.4 and was accepted after...

No, haven't done a post-bacc. If I don't get in this cycle I'll be doing the post-bacc at VCOM as a Plan B though, since I know that GPA is my major weak point.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted today. Interviewed about two weeks ago!

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted yesterday!!!! So happy. Im 99% sure I'm coming here :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 1/7, got an acceptance letter yesterday! I did cry over the phone talking to my parents... haha

Looks like we had a group of strong candidates on that day, now that I see at least 3 people being accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
II! Completed in August. In State.

Took them long enough. Hoping I have a decent shot.

Has anyone tried sending the technical standards form through the designated tech standards email? I keep getting a reply saying that the delivery failed and the tech standards email account does not exist...

Has anyone tried sending the technical standards form through the designated tech standards email? I keep getting a reply saying that the delivery failed and the tech standards email account does not exist...

Nvm, solved! Plz ignore me, and congratz for those accepted!

Hello!
For those accepted, has anyone started working on the MHQ?

I'm a little confused as to what is required for vaccinations. Is a history of immunizations enough or are titers mandatory?

I can obviously call and ask but I figured I'd see if anyone had the answer here first!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know what the average USMLE Step 1 is of PCOM students who elect to take it? If that data is even available.

Hello!

I'm a little confused as to what is required for vaccinations. Is a history of immunizations enough or are titers mandatory?

I can obviously call and ask but I figured I'd see if anyone had the answer here first!

I think I submitted titers and I had to redo vaccinations due to low titers.

Anybody know what the average USMLE Step 1 is of PCOM students who elect to take it? If that data is even available.

I don't think PCOM release board scores of any kind. I don't know if they even collect that data. From the upperclassman I have talked to it seems people are doing fairly well on all their exams.

Realistically, what chances do I have at an interview if I sent out my secondary in January? Also, what's the deal with the LOR? They don't officially acknowledge receiving them until the secondary is processed?

Hello!

For the ones that say OR, I put the dates of my last shots (no titers). However, I included documentation of the dates of the shots (I had a record from student health from undergrad and a vaccination history from childhood). If you don't have documentation, I think you'll need to get a blood test to test for reactivities. For the one that says AND (just the HepB I think), I got a blood test specifically for it and also documented when I had the previous chain of shots (again, including documentation for all). For that one you need both, although you can opt out of the vaccine!

Hope that helps :)

Realistically, what chances do I have at an interview if I sent out my secondary in January? Also, what's the deal with the LOR? They don't officially acknowledge receiving them until the secondary is processed?
The won't do anything until you pay the application fee. Then they bring in your app and start to work on it. This way they don't do the work unless they know someone is interested enough to submit the money.

For the ones that say OR, I put the dates of my last shots (no titers). However, I included documentation of the dates of the shots (I had a record from student health from undergrad and a vaccination history from childhood). If you don't have documentation, I think you'll need to get a blood test to test for reactivities. For the one that says AND (just the HepB I think), I got a blood test specifically for it and also documented when I had the previous chain of shots (again, including documentation for all). For that one you need both, although you can opt out of the vaccine!

Hope that helps :)

Thank you so much! That helps a lot :)

The won't do anything until you pay the application fee. Then they bring in your app and start to work on it. This way they don't do the work unless they know someone is interested enough to submit the money.

Already paid the fee and everything, the application portal says they've received my secondary. The only problem is that the "Requirements" part of the page says that my Committee letter hasn't been submitted. Is that normal? It was uploaded to AACOMAS a while back and other schools already got them.

Already paid the fee and everything, the application portal says they've received my secondary. The only problem is that the "Requirements" part of the page says that my Committee letter hasn't been submitted. Is that normal? It was uploaded to AACOMAS a while back and other schools already got them.

I would call and check. Everything in the Required section has to have a date next to it in order for it to be counted as received. I also ran into this issue in July (my committee letter was showing up in the Misc items with a date next to it), and after the 15 processing days, I emailed them about it. Never received an email response back, but my committee letter went from the Misc category up to the Required category (with a date next to it). If you're worried about it, just call. The worst they can say is they don't have an answer. It's already a little bit later in the application process, so do everything you can to make sure your app is complete and ready for review :)

Last edited:
Remember if the letter came into aacomas after they had your file you need to tell them to pull it and give them the name of the person who wrote the letter. They will get it in pretty fast but what they don't know they can't do

The application portal says they received the letter and gave a date too. And the wait begins...

Hey all so when I went to apply in the summer my 3rd professor (non-science) LOR bailed on me and PCOM said I couldn't apply. I was able to find another professor to write me one but not until December. My application has been complete as of two weeks ago but Im pretty worried about how late I applied. I really don't want PCOM to think they're not my priority. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to kind of show my interest or intent to go there? Also, do I even have a shot even with writing a letter? I was thinking of emailing the dean of admissions or something expressing how much I want to go to PCOM. cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.4 MCAT 515.

I sent them an update letter via email and never got any indication that they received it. Is that normal?

I sent them an update letter via email and never got any indication that they received it. Is that normal?
You can send updates but they only add the two things, transcripts and mcats I think. If you have not even interviewed don't do it, they are still processing new apps and now you want to add more work. They will tell you if they want something from you

Interviewed on 1/13 and am wondering if anyone from that date has received a letter. We were told that we would receive a letter regardless of the decision (yes, no, maybe). Do the 'no' and 'maybe's receive later letters or are all the decisions sent out on the same date? The waiting is killing me since this is my first choice:)

Interviewed on 1/13 and am wondering if anyone from that date has received a letter. We were told that we would receive a letter regardless of the decision (yes, no, maybe). Do the 'no' and 'maybe's receive later letters or are all the decisions sent out on the same date? The waiting is killing me since this is my first choice:)

I interviewed on the same day as you and my interviewer said that the committee would meet on February 2nd for the decisions, so we should expect to get a letter 5 weeks from the date of interview. Browsing through the past posts, some people received their letters earlier, so I guess it all depends.

I interviewed on 1/11 along with my roommate and my co-worker! We are all still waiting to hear. I wonder if we are also in the Feb 2nd bunch in terms of committee meeting. Has anyone in the 1/11 interview group heard? I am so anxious to hear. This is my top choice!

I interviewed on 1/11 along with my roommate and my co-worker! We are all still waiting to hear. I wonder if we are also in the Feb 2nd bunch in terms of committee meeting. Has anyone in the 1/11 interview group heard? I am so anxious to hear. This is my top choice!

anyone that interviewed after jan 8th won't hear back till Feb 10th i believe until committee meets on feb 2nd

PCOM is a great program. I'm hoping to apply this spring, unsure if I'm competitive. Would those accepted mind sharing their background and/or MCAT/GPA so I can better gauge my candidacy? Thanks!

OMG! I'm super ecstatic! Just got an II today!!!

Thanks! Im actually from Philly. 3.67 sGPA and 3.77 cGPA 504 MCAT, submitted late October so dont lose hope!

+1. On basically everything... I have almost identical stats/timeline haha. So excited!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone been complete since July and still not heard?

Reactions: 14 users