Pulmonary/Critical Care 2010-2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pukhthun

One for the money
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I think that this may be a bit earlier than some years, but I think it's time to open the thread on the 2010-2011 application cycle.

In keeping with the spirit of SDN, here's my background info.

AMG M.D.
PGY-2 in a community-based program in the south
Step scores were all in the 90's or so
I've got some peer-reviewed research from my master's degree in biomedical engineering and a couple of poster presentations.
Working on finishing a degree in doctorate of health sciences online
I like triathlons, sleeping, and those cherries they give you on sundaes.

I'm planning on applying from the east coast to Texas only. I'm mainly interested in critical care medicine, and am still undecided on whether I want the pulmonary part for marketability.

Let the maniacal drama that is fellowship application begin!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are just looking for CCM, the Univ of Pittsburgh has an excellent two year program. Here's the link http://www.ccm.pitt.edu/education/adult/fellowship_imcc.html

However the program doesn't participate in the match.

Well, I think that this may be a bit earlier than
some years, but I think it's time to open the thread on the 2010-2011 application cycle.

In keeping with the spirit of SDN, here's my background info.

AMG M.D.
PGY-2 in a community-based program in the south
Step scores were all in the 90's or so
I've got some peer-reviewed research from my master's degree in biomedical engineering and a couple of poster presentations.
Working on finishing a degree in doctorate of health sciences online
I like triathlons, sleeping, and those cherries they give you on sundaes.

I'm planning on applying from the east coast to Texas only. I'm mainly interested in critical care medicine, and am still undecided on whether I want the pulmonary part for marketability.

Let the maniacal drama that is fellowship application begin!

Yea I have read really good things about UPitt. They seem to be leading the critical care pathway on the east coast as far as setting the bar.

When looking at the area that I'm applying to there're several programs that I know little to none about. Like the program in Maryland at the NIH and the Baylor CCM program.

While I think that I would be very happy with a practice that revolved around just the unit, I wonder about the ability to find a job that will be just that. I've met so many pulmonologists that wish they could get out of the unit and just do clinical practice. I figured that if I worked with a group like that I could do the unit and they could focus on clinic. But, I wonder if I would even qualify for joining a pulmonary group, since I have no training in pulmonary medicine.

Some people talk about clinic as being a backup for when you burnout. I suppose I'm not naive enough to think that burnout only applies to everyone else. But at the same time, I have a degree in internal medicine. I can always open a private practice or even just be employed by a local clinic/hospital for a 8-5 job if that's how it goes.

Anyone else have any info about pure critical care programs and how they're set up?

I'm not really planning on doing academic medicine, I'm a clinician at heart and I truly enjoy working with my patients and helping them in their time of need. I just want a program that will give me the tools I need to do the best I can for them. So programs that offer more clinical and less research are where I'm leaning towards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I have read really good things about UPitt. They seem to be leading the critical care pathway on the east coast as far as setting the bar.

When looking at the area that I'm applying to there're several programs that I know little to none about. Like the program in Maryland at the NIH and the Baylor CCM program.

While I think that I would be very happy with a practice that revolved around just the unit, I wonder about the ability to find a job that will be just that. I've met so many pulmonologists that wish they could get out of the unit and just do clinical practice. I figured that if I worked with a group like that I could do the unit and they could focus on clinic. But, I wonder if I would even qualify for joining a pulmonary group, since I have no training in pulmonary medicine.

Some people talk about clinic as being a backup for when you burnout. I suppose I'm not naive enough to think that burnout only applies to everyone else. But at the same time, I have a degree in internal medicine. I can always open a private practice or even just be employed by a local clinic/hospital for a 8-5 job if that's how it goes.

Anyone else have any info about pure critical care programs and how they're set up?

I'm not really planning on doing academic medicine, I'm a clinician at heart and I truly enjoy working with my patients and helping them in their time of need. I just want a program that will give me the tools I need to do the best I can for them. So programs that offer more clinical and less research are where I'm leaning towards.

I know I fell in love with CC first, and came to really, really appreciate Pulmonary working with staff at my institution. By the time I applied I really wanted to do both. But if you approach the decision from a strictly cold and logical perspective coming from an IM perspective and HAVING the chance to train to get a double board certification for one more year, why not?

With that said . . . Pitt is like where the Gods of Critical Care live. If you want to just do critical care, then Pitt should be somewhere you apply. As mentioned above, they do not participate in ERAS, so found out what they want and send them an application.

A few other notables for critical care IMHO are Stanford, OHSU, SLU, and LSU.

Also Vanderbilt, UCSF, WUSTL if they have not been mentioned already. I guess someone mentioned UMinnesota before.

But if you approach the decision from a strictly cold and logical perspective coming from an IM perspective and HAVING the chance to train to get a double board certification for one more year, why not?

I agree, it seems like the more I think about it the more I think that spending that one extra year will make a big difference in my ability to secure a job and to be more marketable; read as: negotiate for a higher salary.

Truthfully, the reason why I enjoy unit work is not just because you get to see medicine on steroids and use all of your clinical acumen and skills to assess and diagnose illness, but also because the ability to plan a life around a critical care schedule is much easier.

Staff medicine and pulmonary schedules are too haphazard for me. I don't want to have 5 patients one day and worry that I won't be making enough money, and then have 40 patients the next day and worry that I won't be home until 9pm. I like the consistency of shift work in a closed unit so that I can work when I'm at work, and I can leave work when I leave work.

But, as I've learned throughout the years, if everyone tells you something there's probably some truth to it.

Does anyone have any experience with going through critical care medicine for 2 years and then adding a 3rd year of pulmonary at the end? I think that approach would probably lend itself to more critical care training and less research overall, but I would hate to place myself in a position where I don't have access to pulmonary training after I finish CC.

Also Vanderbilt, UCSF, WUSTL if they have not been mentioned already. I guess someone mentioned UMinnesota before.

I was referring to critical care ONLY programs. UCSF has one, and as they are UCSF I'm sure it a fine program, but UCSF's pulmonary is much more stand-out IMHO

EDIT: And yeah, in order to get Vandy's killer CC, you have to make the "pulmonary as well" deal with the devil

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with going through critical care medicine for 2 years and then adding a 3rd year of pulmonary at the end? I think that approach would probably lend itself to more critical care training and less research overall, but I would hate to place myself in a position where I don't have access to pulmonary training after I finish CC.

Well . . . the trouble is 1) there a very few pulmonary only programs left, and 2) I'm not sure they would let you only do one year. Going that route you might find yourself doing 2 + 2.

I was referring to critical care ONLY programs. UCSF has one, and as they are UCSF I'm sure it a fine program, but UCSF's pulmonary is much more stand-out IMHO

EDIT: And yeah, in order to get Vandy's killer CC, you have to make the "pulmonary as well" deal with the devil

They do have a pretty amazing division though. Given the span of critical care that they cover, its possibly one of the top 4-5 Crit Care programs in the country. May almost make the Pulm worth it. Having said that, their Chair has some good Pulm research going on, so there should be other goodies too.

UCSF has a decent CCM division, and the three different work sites may make for good training (SFGH, VAMC and Moffitt-Long)

Both the divisions seem to be pretty interdisciplinary, which is a good thing.

Well . . . the trouble is 1) there a very few pulmonary only programs left, and 2) I'm not sure they would let you only do one year. Going that route you might find yourself doing 2 + 2.[/QUOTE]

:thumbup:

I guess same issue with doing Crit Care followed by Renal, rather than the other way round.

They do have a pretty amazing division though. Given the span of critical care that they cover, its possibly one of the top 4-5 Crit Care programs in the country. May almost make the Pulm worth it. Having said that, their Chair has some good Pulm research going on, so there should be other goodies too.

UCSF has a decent CCM division, and the three different work sites may make for good training (SFGH, VAMC and Moffitt-Long)

Both the divisions seem to be pretty interdisciplinary, which is a good thing.

Not that I was saying Vandy pulm is some half-rate division and the pulm is definitely worth it . . . :D but . . .

Dollar for dollar, I doubt there is another place doing more relevant or better critical care research than Vandy right now, including Pitt.

Well . . . the trouble is 1) there a very few pulmonary only programs left, and 2) I'm not sure they would let you only do one year. Going that route you might find yourself doing 2 + 2.

Looking around at the different critical care fellowship sites, the NIH is the only one that mentions additional training afterwards. And even they are vague about who is eligible and for what:

"There are four positions available each year. The fellowship is a minimum of two years in duration, with additional years of training available for selected fellows."

I think that looking at it from that perspective, there's way too much uncertainty and risk that I'd be taking if I just did critical care medicine. I think I'd want to die if someone told me I had to do 2+2.

I think Vandy is a great program, but I don't think anyone will argue with me in saying that even competitive candidates have difficulty securing a program like that.

What about the program at East Carolina Univ?

Has anyone heard anything about them? I was browsing through different programs and it seemed like ECU was expanding its faculty and fellowship positions. If I'm going to maximize my chances of getting in, I need to apply to a couple of second tier programs as well as backup.

Looking around at the different critical care fellowship sites, the NIH is the only one that mentions additional training afterwards. And even they are vague about who is eligible and for what:

"There are four positions available each year. The fellowship is a minimum of two years in duration, with additional years of training available for selected fellows."

I think that looking at it from that perspective, there's way too much uncertainty and risk that I'd be taking if I just did critical care medicine. I think I'd want to die if someone told me I had to do 2+2.

I think Vandy is a great program, but I don't think anyone will argue with me in saying that even competitive candidates have difficulty securing a program like that.

What about the program at East Carolina Univ?

Has anyone heard anything about them? I was browsing through different programs and it seemed like ECU was expanding its faculty and fellowship positions. If I'm going to maximize my chances of getting in, I need to apply to a couple of second tier programs as well as backup.

ECU is the "other" North Carolina program (Duke and Wake being the other two). Much more clinical in orientation and the gossip has them with quite a high acuity ICU, which sounds more like what you are looking for, and newer for sure (which means you'll want to find out if they've got the kinks worked out yet).

And yes, Vandy is a difficult spot to land. They are VERY choosy. I know a guy who got an interview at Colorado, but Vandy completely snubbed him (I think a program should either say, "yes" or "no", but probably about 1/3 of places don't even seem to recognize that applicants exist if they are not interviewing you). If you're not interested in research and spending an extra year on a training grant, I wouldn't even send them Vandy application. They are looking to train academic/research types.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like the worst punishment for anyone is not to be rejected, but to be completely ignored. Rejection is at least some attention (albeit negative). Seems to me programs like Vandy, Colorado, and what the same are way too academic based. I doubt that they would even use my application from a community medicine program as toilet paper.

Hey guys. I'm a PGY-3 this year in Internal Med, applying to PCCM right now (a year late b/c I'm doing a chief year).
I was thinking about applying to CCM only, until I talked to several of the fellows and faculty at my program, and they all recommended doing the combined Pulm/CCM fellowship, because it's only an extra year and you get double-boarded.
I am in love with the ICU as well, but in the long run, it would be nice to have Pulm as a fall-back position; I will probably stay in academic medicine, and I think doing Critical Care alone would limit my ability to find a job in the long run. Plus I'm kinda a research nerd, and there are several areas of active research in Pulm.

P.S. I hope more than 3 people eventually find this thread. I'd like some other opinions about good programs in the South.

Hey guys. I'm a PGY-3 this year in Internal Med, applying to PCCM right now (a year late b/c I'm doing a chief year).
I was thinking about applying to CCM only, until I talked to several of the fellows and faculty at my program, and they all recommended doing the combined Pulm/CCM fellowship, because it's only an extra year and you get double-boarded.
I am in love with the ICU as well, but in the long run, it would be nice to have Pulm as a fall-back position; I will probably stay in academic medicine, and I think doing Critical Care alone would limit my ability to find a job in the long run. Plus I'm kinda a research nerd, and there are several areas of active research in Pulm.

P.S. I hope more than 3 people eventually find this thread. I'd like some other opinions about good programs in the South.

Are we using the mason-dixon line to delineate the "south" and are you considering Texas as "south"? :D

I've got plenty of suggestions for you.

By "the South" I am referring to just about anywhere except the Northeast and the west coast. My mentor went to Cleveland clinic, and he is exceptionally well trained, and I have heard and read a lot of good things about the program in Cincinnati, so I will definitely apply to those programs. And I definitely plan to include Texas in my applications, especially since I can drive to Dallas and Houston if I happen to get selected for an interview.
Any ideas about good programs would be appreciated... I went to LSU for med school and I've heard good things about the Critical Care program at Shreveport, but apparently the combined Pulm/CC fellows do most of their ICU months at the VA.

By "the South" I am referring to just about anywhere except the Northeast and the west coast. My mentor went to Cleveland clinic, and he is exceptionally well trained, and I have heard and read a lot of good things about the program in Cincinnati, so I will definitely apply to those programs. And I definitely plan to include Texas in my applications, especially since I can drive to Dallas and Houston if I happen to get selected for an interview.
Any ideas about good programs would be appreciated... I went to LSU for med school and I've heard good things about the Critical Care program at Shreveport, but apparently the combined Pulm/CC fellows do most of their ICU months at the VA.

OK. Just for information's sake, Colorado is generally considered #1 for pulm with national jewish there in Denver, and as such the #1 pulm/cc program. Pittsburgh is generally considered the top Critical Care program, and for this reason ALONE I personally rank them #2 of pulm/cc programs (pulm is excellent there too).

Now with that said . . . southern programs that I think I really good - some of these places are more academic and research orientated that others. If you'd like me to delineate which is which I can tell you. In no particular order . . .

Duke
Wake Forest
SWern
Baylor
San Antonio
A&M
LSU
UAB
Vandy
MUSC
Emory*
Florida (Gainesville)

*(I didn't interview there and I don't personally know anyone who is currently doing pulm/cc there, BUT I have not heard pleasant things . . . it's gossip, but just fyi . . . they are still a well respected program)

Since you'll apply in Ohio, what about some of the other midwest programs (in no particular order)? WashU, SLU, Indiana, UChicago, Layola, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Mayo.

A word about the Cleavland Clinc . . . they do alot of transplant, good interventional exposure (but I think they're starting a sub-fellowship), HIGH acuity ICU by APACHEII . . . BUT fairly rough and "malignant" place to work by most reports. I think the training is good, but it's not the kind of work environment I'd be excited to join.

Just from my personal experience, here's what I know about some southern pulm/cc programs:

University of Florida - I've met the pulmonary fellows there, and I have family members who have work with them on a regular basis. They leave their program without the skills needed to take care of patients. It seems that the program is more research based and does not maintain standards for clinical care.

University of South Alabama - split across 3 different hospitals, there is actually a lot of tropical diseases and pathology available to learn from. But the critical care/pulmonary program there is run by a group of people who have no business training anyone. The faculty is really not practicing evidence-based medicine, rather several of the core are running their own units there haphazardly and arbitrarily. Needless to say, the fellows leaving there are usually not happy with "Because that's the way I do it" as an answer.

UAB - Their program is on the larger side of programs out there with 5 fellows a year. And the program director is an ER doc turned CC, so the program and the program is designed for more CC than pulm. But, UAB has had some internal administration shifts, and now is actively pushing departments to recruit more grant money from NIH and produce more fellows interested in doing research. One pulmonologist told me that at least 2 fellows they accept each year must be dead set on an academic career, and should mention that they may want to spend more than 3 years in fellowship to expand their research.

I know tidbits about other programs around the south, and if you want info on any specific program, feel free to ask. I'm sure someone knows something.

Just from my personal experience, here's what I know about some southern pulm/cc programs:

University of Florida - I've met the pulmonary fellows there, and I have family members who have work with them on a regular basis. They leave their program without the skills needed to take care of patients. It seems that the program is more research based and does not maintain standards for clinical care.

University of South Alabama - split across 3 different hospitals, there is actually a lot of tropical diseases and pathology available to learn from. But the critical care/pulmonary program there is run by a group of people who have no business training anyone. The faculty is really not practicing evidence-based medicine, rather several of the core are running their own units there haphazardly and arbitrarily. Needless to say, the fellows leaving there are usually not happy with "Because that's the way I do it" as an answer.

UAB - Their program is on the larger side of programs out there with 5 fellows a year. And the program director is an ER doc turned CC, so the program and the program is designed for more CC than pulm. But, UAB has had some internal administration shifts, and now is actively pushing departments to recruit more grant money from NIH and produce more fellows interested in doing research. One pulmonologist told me that at least 2 fellows they accept each year must be dead set on an academic career, and should mention that they may want to spend more than 3 years in fellowship to expand their research.

I know tidbits about other programs around the south, and if you want info on any specific program, feel free to ask. I'm sure someone knows something.

My reviews of UAB and Southern Alabama from last cycle

I have a friend who is a first year fellow in CC at the Cleveland Clinic and he loves it. He says everyone is really nice and he is learning a ton. He comes from a really laid back program so he would let me know if they were veing malignant and from his first 3 months there he would definitely recommend the program.

When I interviewed at Duke one of the attendings that interviewed me said he was concerned they had a bad rap for being stuffy or malignant. He asked me what I thought and from my impression they were no where near being malignant or stuffy. Now granted this was all on interview day when the fellows are juiced up with happy pills so I always took what fellows said with a little grain of salt.

I will let you know a year from now if they are either :D

I have a friend who is a first year fellow in CC at the Cleveland Clinic and he loves it. He says everyone is really nice and he is learning a ton. He comes from a really laid back program so he would let me know if they were veing malignant and from his first 3 months there he would definitely recommend the program.

When I interviewed at Duke one of the attendings that interviewed me said he was concerned they had a bad rap for being stuffy or malignant. He asked me what I thought and from my impression they were no where near being malignant or stuffy. Now granted this was all on interview day when the fellows are juiced up with happy pills so I always took what fellows said with a little grain of salt.

I will let you know a year from now if they are either :D

Just goes to show you have to check this stuff out for yourself

Hey guys, I'm also getting ready to apply for PCCM fellowship and was wondering if anyone can tell me a good number of programs to apply to. One of my friends going for heme/onc was told to apply to 20-30 so that way you can go on about 10 interviews and have a high chance of then matching. I know people going for cards and gi apply to a bunch but they're more competitive.

It depends on your creds.

I applied to 30 programs and got 16 interviews and only went to 8 and matched at my number 1. You can look at my creds from last year's forum but all in all I don't feel that they were outstanding just good. It definitely helps to be an american grad I think (MD or DO).

Overall it doesn't hurt to overapply but it will hurt to underapply.

Look at last years thread and compare yourself to those of us who applied and see where you are at. Then apply to a safe amout of programs.

I did exactly what your friend did and it turned out great. I would not go to more than 10 interviews. That is just overkill and frickin expensive!!!

I was planning on going to 10 but the week before my 9th and 10th interviews I backed out because I was exhausted and felt my chances were good enough. Now I wish I had just stopped at my third interview (where I matched) and saved time and money but hindsight is 20/20.

It is super exciting when the interviews start rolling in but flying all over God's green earth starts to suck in a hurry.

Good luck and can't wait to see how you all do!!:luck:

Hey guys, I'm also getting ready to apply for PCCM fellowship and was wondering if anyone can tell me a good number of programs to apply to. One of my friends going for heme/onc was told to apply to 20-30 so that way you can go on about 10 interviews and have a high chance of then matching. I know people going for cards and gi apply to a bunch but they're more competitive.

Apply to 30 go on 10 seems about right and industry standard.

Try to have your application in by December 1st. Unlike most other people applying to other specialties, you won't hear from money places likely until February.

good luck all
Myself: IMG,PGY3 , community programapplying all over
Step scores in 90s, no research/posters etc
just asked for LORs yesterday..is it too late??
PS almost done

Just goes to show you have to check this stuff out for yourself

I wouldnt call CCF malignant, but you will be working your ass of that first year but I saw they had 8 fellows come in this year instead of 4, granted Im not sure if any of those are critical care only fellows

I wouldnt call CCF malignant, but you will be working your ass of that first year but I saw they had 8 fellows come in this year instead of 4, granted Im not sure if any of those are critical care only fellows

You can't question the product they produce. We've got new staff from there and he is an animal.

In my experience where there is smoke, there is generally fire. Places don't get reputations for being malignant out of the blue. Now, often this simply means a different style, or a busy style, and does not mean actually intentionally malignant. This has been validated by my home Pulm/CC PD, for what it's worth . . . Tons of transplant and highest Apache II scores in the country, mean's BUSY. People who are interested need to evaluate if it's the kind of style they want to be in for three to four years.

all I know is that I love the unit and i hope i will get some love back

I would recommend showing at least some interest and knowledge about pulml as well. I am very interested in pulm and had many interviewers tell me how happy they were to talk to some one who wasn't all "i love the unit and procedures blah blah blah"

They want to know that you are interested in the other HALF of your field!

Just some pointers.

Changing the subject I don't want to complaint but this forum is very inactive!!!!

It's the end of October. You won't submit your application for a month, and then activity will pick up while everyone moans about why no one is offering interviews through the middle of January. From January onward people will only talk about their invites. No one will honestly describe programs until after match, if anyone does. This is the way it's been the last few cycles. Look.

I'm around regular and Hernz and VJWDO check in occasionally. I think we'll try and answer questions if you have any.

Anyone going to Chest? Or planning a trip to ATS this year?

If anyone is interested in seeing my pneumonia stuff, PM me. I'm presenting and will give you times.

Anyone going to Chest? Or planning a trip to ATS this year?

If anyone is interested in seeing my pneumonia stuff, PM me. I'm presenting and will give you times.

I'm not making it to chest this year, hopefully next year (in hawaii) but I'm looking at either sccm or ats for 2011

hey guys,
I was just wondering.....does it make any difference if u apply on 15 nov or 1st dec??? espescially for FMGs.....

thanks.

I had everything in and ready to go about a month in advance. That way the programs could begin downloading my stuff on December 1st. It sucks to have some of your stuff available and make them wait on other stuff so just have everything in and ready to rock. Mind you I had plenty of programs that didnt even download my full app until like middle of december or even towards January.

Still DON'T make programs wait on you. Be organized and have everything ready.

Another piece of advice. Don't go to over 10 interviews. It is just a waste of money and time. You will get a spot if you have 10 guaranteed!!

Hi guys! I'm new to this thread. I graduated from a community hospital in PA last June 2010. Newly ABIM-certified. I'm currently working as a an ICU moonlighter at the same hospital (they petitioned my green card, my petition just got approved by USCIS last week). My USMLE scores were 99/99/90.

So far, none of the four LOR writers have finished writing my letters (!). I'm applying for 90 CC, PD, and PD-CC programs all over the country. I have two questions that I hope you guys can answer:

1) Will the programs consider my application (or send invites) even if not all of my LORs have been uploaded by ERAS?
2) Do you guys think applying to 90 programs is overkill?

Hi guys! I'm new to this thread. I graduated from a community hospital in PA last June 2010. Newly ABIM-certified. I'm currently working as a an ICU moonlighter at the same hospital (they petitioned my green card, my petition just got approved by USCIS last week). My USMLE scores were 99/99/90.

So far, none of the four LOR writers have finished writing my letters (!). I'm applying for 90 CC, PD, and PD-CC programs all over the country. I have two questions that I hope you guys can answer:

1) Will the programs consider my application (or send invites) even if not all of my LORs have been uploaded by ERAS?
2) Do you guys think applying to 90 programs is overkill?

Programs know that having to use the EFDO is a royal pain in the ass, and it's not necssary to have all four letters up and ready to go when you submit, but I doubt you get an invite unless they are all there.

I do not think applying to 90 programs is overkill in your situation.

Good luck.

Hi!
I am a 2nd year from a uni program in Texas applying to pulm-critical/care. My numbers are good, but I haven't taken step three yet. I appreciate all the advice from last year's thread - especially program descriptions.

I am looking to go someplace with a very strong clinical background with an opportunity to stay in academics. I'm married with a two year old son.

Hopefully will have everything in place by December 1st, but it is a nail-biter.

Neon

hi you guys! i'm planning to use the same personal statement i will use for pulmonary-critical care in my application for either pulmonary or critical care programs. do you think the critical care PDs will hold it against the applicant if they found out that he/she is also planning to eventually take up a pulmonary fellowship training? should the applicant "pretend" that he/she is only interested in critical care (or pulmonary, when interviewing with pulmonary PDs)?

hi you guys! i'm planning to use the same personal statement i will use for pulmonary-critical care in my application for either pulmonary or critical care programs. do you think the critical care PDs will hold it against the applicant if they found out that he/she is also planning to eventually take up a pulmonary fellowship training? should the applicant "pretend" that he/she is only interested in critical care (or pulmonary, when interviewing with pulmonary PDs)?

Do not pretend anything. If you do not want to do pulm then don't. If you don't want to do CC then don't. If you want to do both then you are not pretending. You are simply covering your bases and trying to ensure you get in somewhere. If you get a cc only interview sometimes if you show enough interest in pulm and end up mathcing there and they like you, they will convert you to pulm/cc. same with pulm only fellowships. I would just try for pulm/cc since that is what it seems you want to do.

The personal statement can be the same if you focus and yourself and dont blather on about why you want to do pulm cc. I have been reading a great deal of personal statements recently and the ones that highlight the applicants instead of just stating why they want to do something are the ones that stand out. Just make 3 versions that are tailored to the program you are applying to (cc, Pulm, pulm/cc)

Hi -

Do we have to take the ABIM in August of 2011? Is ABIM a requirement to start/continue the fellowship? I will be starting at a PCCM program in July 2011? I am thinking of taking my boards in 2012 due to personal reasons. Will this okay?

Hi -

Do we have to take the ABIM in August of 2011? Is ABIM a requirement to start/continue the fellowship? I will be starting at a PCCM program in July 2011? I am thinking of taking my boards in 2012 due to personal reasons. Will this okay?

I think you only need it to sit for Pulm and CC boards later. I'd make sure by asking your PD

I'm a PGY-2 at a university program, applying to combined Pulm/CCM programs.
I've got my letters, a total of 4: IM program director who is Pulm/CC, the Pulm/CC PD at my program, the MICU director, and an ID/IM hospitalist attending.
Have a sizable amount of research and the like.

At this point I have a couple questions...reading through ERAS documentation, sounds like I need to submit my medical school MSPE and transcript to EFDO. Do most programs want to see this? Might slow down from that perspective if so, but I can just contact my school on Monday and work on that.

Where I'm stumbling though, is on the statement. I just can't seem to write about the pulmonary side of things. I want to do both, this I am certain. However, with only one prior month of pulmonary consult at the VA, it's difficult to explain how I have an interest in CF patients other than just peripherally...I haven't been able to be involved in that population.
Any general advice on the statement or how it is considered by programs in the context of the whole application. Will a moderately weak statement damage many opportunities? Thx!
- s1e

I'm a PGY-2 at a university program, applying to combined Pulm/CCM programs.
I've got my letters, a total of 4: IM program director who is Pulm/CC, the Pulm/CC PD at my program, the MICU director, and an ID/IM hospitalist attending.
Have a sizable amount of research and the like.

At this point I have a couple questions...reading through ERAS documentation, sounds like I need to submit my medical school MSPE and transcript to EFDO. Do most programs want to see this? Might slow down from that perspective if so, but I can just contact my school on Monday and work on that.

Where I'm stumbling though, is on the statement. I just can't seem to write about the pulmonary side of things. I want to do both, this I am certain. However, with only one prior month of pulmonary consult at the VA, it's difficult to explain how I have an interest in CF patients other than just peripherally...I haven't been able to be involved in that population.
Any general advice on the statement or how it is considered by programs in the context of the whole application. Will a moderately weak statement damage many opportunities? Thx!
- s1e

Yes. You need to submit your MSPE. Almost all programs will not consider your application complete until it is there. You have time though. Simply submit your application, and get the MSPE in asap after that. Most programs won't be looking at much any time soon anyway, and most programs also understand the process is time consuming and actually expect that some items are still being processed, though you should have your app complete by January when they really start looking.

Personal statements are/were a bitch for all of us. Just talk about what you want to talk about - be real - you find CF fascinating even though you've never had the chance to actually work with a patient with CF - you could say that pulmonary is super cool, more than steroid and inhalers, the weird and the rare, etc. Good luck man, the unit is easy to talk about, the getting across why we wanted to ALSO do pulm was not as easy.

got rejection from MUSC:scared:

Dont Worry.

They did that last year to. Rejected people right off the bat without seemingly going through their apps. They probably have the program coordinator screen people out based on whatever criterion is important to them. I know a lot of people who matched last year that all got rejected first off from MUSC so who cares.

Keep your head up. interviews will stat rolling in by january/february.

Good Luck

Hello VJWDO,
I have been a great fan of your posts, believe me I have been following all your posts (including last years). We really appreciate your encouragement and all the help you have been providing to all of us. Please keep posting and please keep sharing your experiences from last year, it really really really helps. Thanks once again.

Dont Worry.

They did that last year to. Rejected people right off the bat without seemingly going through their apps. They probably have the program coordinator screen people out based on whatever criterion is important to them. I know a lot of people who matched last year that all got rejected first off from MUSC so who cares.

Keep your head up. interviews will stat rolling in by january/february.

Good Luck