Pulmonary/Critical Care 2010-2011 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@VJWDO...thanks for yr encouragement and help...keeping fingeres crossed :)

Members don't see this ad.

No Prob guys!!

I know exactly what it felt like to be in your shoes last year. I had no idea what would happen and when it would happen. I looked on ERAS like everyday and would get excited when my apps were downloaded by programs even though it meant absolutely nothing!!! We are all a little crazy but just try to settle down and get ready for the long haul cuz this craziness lasts until JUNE!!!! :thumbdown:mad::scared:

VJWDO

No Prob guys!!

I know exactly what it felt like to be in your shoes last year. I had no idea what would happen and when it would happen. I looked on ERAS like everyday and would get excited when my apps were downloaded by programs even though it meant absolutely nothing!!! We are all a little crazy but just try to settle down and get ready for the long haul cuz this craziness lasts until JUNE!!!! :thumbdown:mad::scared:

VJWDO

Word.

I don't remember much of last year except trying to get into fellowship. It was an all consuming process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my very first invitation yesterday. It's from Winthrop in Mineola, NY. I also got an email from Albany Medical Center asking what my visa status is (bec I indicated in my application that I'm a "pending permanent resident"). I think they might send an invitation too.

I got my very first invitation yesterday. It's from Winthrop in Mineola, NY. I also got an email from Albany Medical Center asking what my visa status is (bec I indicated in my application that I'm a "pending permanent resident"). I think they might send an invitation too.

Congrats!! Hope they keep rolling in!!

i hope so...unfortunately none of my LORs have been uploaded yet. there are probably some programs that wait for those LORs before sending invites.

Hi everyone. Can you please let me know how many LORS shall we submit. Most of the programs requirement are 3. Why everyone is talking about 4 LORS. And if we are submitting PD's LOR do we have to submit IM chair's LOR as well. And If some one has done away elective in pulmonary , is it better to submit LOR from away program than our own pulmonary attending's letter. Thanks

Hi everyone. Can you please let me know how many LORS shall we submit. Most of the programs requirement are 3. Why everyone is talking about 4 LORS. And if we are submitting PD's LOR do we have to submit IM chair's LOR as well. And If some one has done away elective in pulmonary , is it better to submit LOR from away program than our own pulmonary attending's letter. Thanks
From my experience last year, most programs needed 3 but ERAS allows 4. It doesn't hurt - more the merrier! When it comes to whether your own Pulm attending's letter vs the outside one, it depends on which one is better known in the pulmonary and critical care circles. If your outside rotation was in a bigger and well known place, it pays to use that letter, especially if they have known you well enough to write a personal letter. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Most programs I looked up needed 3 letters, in fact I dont remember a program I looked up which needed 4. I dont think it would matter if u meet minimum, except maybe like you said 4th letter is a good letter from well known attending or well known outside place.

Almost all programs required 3 but your could include a 4th so if you have another one then I would include it. More than 4 might be overkill. You should have a letter from your PD and then the rest are up to you. Some programs also asked for a letter from the Chair of the department but this will be intermittent. For the most part if you have a letter from your PD, a couple of Pulm/cc docs and maybe another doc in your program that will be able to write you an excellent letter then you should be fine on most cases.

In regards to the question about the letter from an away rotation:
Use the letter from the doc at the away facility for that facility only. They will probably not know you as well as your home people so their letter may not be as good or may not show you to your best advantage. You want great letters from people who know you well. You don't want mediocre letters or form letters from well known people!!

Just my 2 cents!!

Just got my first interview invite today, and I'm trying to see where I should be scheduling it. Does anyone have any insight into what time of year most interviews are done? Right now, I could schedule it anywhere from mid January to mid-March, and I'm trying to see which time of year I should leave upon for the other interview invites which are hopefully yet to come.

I scheduled mine the earliest I could - Jan. 10th. Which program sent your first invite?

Just got my first interview invite today, and I'm trying to see where I should be scheduling it. Does anyone have any insight into what time of year most interviews are done? Right now, I could schedule it anywhere from mid January to mid-March, and I'm trying to see which time of year I should leave upon for the other interview invites which are hopefully yet to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think now its time to start listing programs..please add your interviews

Interviews

Wintrop,NY

Rejections

MUSC

thanks

@crazyweasel----can you please list your interview?I mean to say where did u get it from?

Interviews

1.Wintrop,NY

Rejections

1.MUSC
2.st louis uni school of medicine

Hey guys, can we use the format they used last year when listing interviews? It goes something like this. People can post new programs or just add their names to already-posted programs. And if somebody has extra time in his/her hands, he/she can alphabetize or arrange the list according to State. Hehe.

1.) Winthrop University Hospital (Mineola, NY): jrdagooc

INTERVIEW INVITATION LIST: (Please add yours)

1.) Winthrop University Hospital (Mineola, NY): jrdagooc

1) Winthrop University Hospital (Mineola, NY): jrdagooc
2) Ohio State: redeemed

2) Ohio State: redeemed
3) University of Rochester: jco

hv been following the posts..
applied for PCCM

invs: st louis university

Hi everyone!
Relatively new to this site...Applied to Pulm Critical care this week.
Waiting for the interview calls now..

Hi all:
I am new in this forum, applying for PCCM. Good luck to everyone.

2) Ohio State: redeemed, jco
4) St Louis University: imeddoc

Got 1st interview of the season, St. Louis University, surprised to get an early interview, but happy:D

I'm applying next year! Any thoughts on UCSD for PCCM?

Good luck everyone!

Got 1st interview of the season, St. Louis University, surprised to get an early interview, but happy:D

IMEDDoc and Aryan3, when did you get the interviews from St. Louis Univ? My application was downloaded on 15th, so wondering if you got the interview call prior to my application being downloaded. Thank you.

2) Ohio State: redeemed, jco, subtle1epiphany
4) St Louis University: imeddoc, aryan3

Just submitted on Thursday and added my photo on Friday evening, completely surprised by an invite Monday AM. Totally awesome!
Best of luck to all!!!:thumbup:

Submitted my application yesterday...anxiety begins. Good luck to everyone.

Hi Glacier, I received invite on Friday 12/1710.

from emory.....bad start so far....all rejections :(

More rejections....
Got 2 rejections today...MUSC (not surprised- :D), university of Colorado :(

Completely agree that the interviews are rolling in much faster than last year for sure. We didn't really get any action until the 1st week of January.

Congrats guys!!

5) Emory: drl1980
6) University of Minnesota: jco

Received interview from Carilion Clinic :)

Rejected by Emory and U of Colorado

7) Carillion Clinic: aryan3

got rejections yesterday, too! emory and univ of colorado...but no worries...:rolleyes:

Still waiting, no word from any of the programs here... Thank you Aryan3. Hopefully I will here something soon.

Interviews - Winthrop, U of Rochester, Carilion Clinic
Rejection - U of Colorado:(

Last edited:
First of thank you all of those who replied to my earlier question.
And now few updates from my side... I too got rejections yesterday from Emory and MUSC... But that were expected :) ...any how...keeping my fingers crossed and ...every one...its tooooooo early...so keep your hopes up...we all will match....just go back to previous years forum and you will understand what i mean....

Rejection from Emory, same as you all. Too bad.
Did anyone else get a strange message from Hopkins telling you about their program and why it's great? I've got all the required documents and such submitted. Thought it was a little interesting, just curious.

Also, can anyone point me towards a review/impression of the program at Ohio State? I've searched online including SDN and can't find much. Sounds like a great program, looking for more info. Thx!

1) Winthrop University Hospital (Mineola, NY): jrdagooc, PCC0810
3) University of Rochester: jco, PCC0810
7) Carillion Clinic: aryan3, PCC0810

Has everyone sent the PD's letter to all programs? or to only those that ask for it on FREIDA or their website?

I got an interview from MUSC, anyone knows anything about the program?