Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean she's not that bad. Only the occasional arbitrary seeming howl; usually it's because of some stimuli. Someone rang the door bell, guests are in the house, it's dinner time, you called her, she wants you to pet her, she wants you to stop petting her, she wants to be let out/in, etc. Basically business as usual she's normally quiet, anything interesting (to her) happening, expect woos.

Sounds like our corgis (well my mom's, my mix is quiet for the most part)...although they definitely don't have the same vocal range.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like our corgis (well my mom's, my mix is quiet for the most part)...although they definitely don't have the same vocal range.
IMG_1832.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
My bf will have nothing to do with cheese of any form. It really puts a damper on our relationship.

No mac and cheese
No nachos
No lasagna
Etc.

More for me I guess?

Cheese is gods gift to food.

I feel bad for jews that follow that whole thing, cause cheese and meat is a match made in heaven

I eat alfredo sauce about 3 times a week

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it feels wrong posting in this thread, but i know like all of you anyway, so :shrug:

plus SOV said I'm a member of vet med!

We welcome all non-trolling med folk! Hehe.

(Though I kinda like trolls popping in once in a while.)

OMG i love corgis. My mom has 2 and they're stinkers but super cute! :happy:

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG i love corgis. My mom has 2 and they're stinkers but super cute! :happy:

We're a pretty corgi obsessed house ourselves. Although my mom's corgi can be frustrating because he barks non-stop (which we know is a corgi thing, he's just worse than our previous corgi). A lot of it is anxiety/he has no energy outlet because he can't go for long walks (he scuffs his front nails till they bleed). I've told her what to do to work with him, but she wants a quick fix so we're constantly battling over how to fix it. She wants me to do all the work, but I work during the summer and I can't get the work done in the two months I'm going to be around.

I saw the meanest corgi during my last week of clinics, seriously the dog was untouchable, we had to basically throw an e-collar on him and then use the gauze trick to rope his muzzle shut to put a muzzle on him just to TOUCH him at all.

But my last patient of senior year (like literally finished assisting with her lap surgery a half hour before our class was officially dismissed from clinics for a last-day USDA lecture) was this very sweet husky, like abnormally sweet for a husky and a great patient. Her only problem was she made little husky noises in the wards whenever she heard someone come in, but even her husky noises were kind of soft and sweet.:love:

Reactions: 1 user
I saw the meanest corgi during my last week of clinics, seriously the dog was untouchable, we had to basically throw an e-collar on him and then use the gauze trick to rope his muzzle shut to put a muzzle on him just to TOUCH him at all.

But my last patient of senior year (like literally finished assisting with her lap surgery a half hour before our class was officially dismissed from clinics for a last-day USDA lecture) was this very sweet husky, like abnormally sweet for a husky and a great patient. Her only problem was she made little husky noises in the wards whenever she heard someone come in, but even her husky noises were kind of soft and sweet.:love:

I will not deny that many corgis are the worst patients. I still love them though.

We're a pretty corgi obsessed house ourselves. Although my mom's corgi can be frustrating because he barks non-stop (which we know is a corgi thing, he's just worse than our previous corgi). A lot of it is anxiety/he has no energy outlet because he can't go for long walks (he scuffs his front nails till they bleed). I've told her what to do to work with him, but she wants a quick fix so we're constantly battling over how to fix it. She wants me to do all the work, but I work during the summer and I can't get the work done in the two months I'm going to be around.
Oh wow. That's so awful! Poor thing. My mom has Ruby, a female who is an alpha and very naughty. She also barks constantly and will nip when herding you inside or outside. And buckeye, a male who has some dominance issues. In their defense, my parents do NOT discipline them like they should. That's frustrating to watch. And yes, Buckeye is named after the Ohio State Buckeyes lol.

Last edited:
Recently one of my friends on facebook posts something about getting a job working at the Humane Society and how excited he is to start.

One of his friends comments on it and says, "good job, you know I am 7 months from graduating vet school." I was thinking.. "hmm, wonder which vet school he is at".

So I click on his profile... he isn't in vet school he is in vet tech school.... :lame:

Recently one of my friends on facebook posts something about getting a job working at the Humane Society and how excited he is to start.

One of his friends comments on it and says, "good job, you know I am 7 months from graduating vet school." I was thinking.. "hmm, wonder which vet school he is at".

So I click on his profile... he isn't in vet school he is in vet tech school.... :lame:

tumblr_m7bwe8MQNw1ql17mc.gif

Reactions: 2 users

Well they're, like, the same, right?

Calling all horse people! If you haven't see the videos at the bottom of this blog, it's worth it. Some of these are spot on. :laugh:

If People Were Horses

Reactions: 4 users
Reactions: 5 users
Got an early birthday present from my sister today and had to ask her where the heck she got it because it is SO nice! I've been wearing it all day and keep looking in the mirror because it's so awesome! Really good quality and so unique. For any ladies that like getting new jewellery :)
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/130...ed?ref=shop_home_active_2&ga_search_query=vet

Cute! I like a lot of stuff on Etsy. One of my dog's name tags is actually from there because I thought it was super cute.

Thinking of getting a pair of Dansko clogs. Thoughts?

I like them because I have super high arches and they're the only shoe that gives me a lot of support. They take some getting used to and need breaking in but otherwise I vote try them on at least see if they fit your feet :thumbup:

Local vet is advertising house calls here.

Honestly not sure why more vets aren't doing this these days.
Opens up a lot of people who hate taking their pets to the doctor, allows you to charge higher rates, and hire staff that won't poach your current clients.

I think as things get more competitive, you will see this more and more.
@dyachei expansion idea!

Opens up a lot of people who hate taking their vets to the doctor, allows you to charge higher rates, and hire staff that won't poach your current clients.

@dyachei expansion idea!

I hate taking my local vet to the doctor too... such a drag.... ;)

Reactions: 3 users

Opens up a lot of people who hate taking their pets to the doctor, allows you to charge higher rates, and hire staff that won't poach your current clients.

@dyachei expansion idea!
Hard to do as a single dr practice

@dyachei expansion idea!

I would be nervous with house calls... I have been on a few for home euthanasia but those were well established clients.

There are a lot of crazy people out there and carrying all the medication out to the person's house can be a pain or could be dangerous.

Also, much harder to do any diagnostics when doing house calls. I could maybe consider it for doing simple things, but if the pet is really sick, I would prefer it at the clinic where I have an xray machine/lab etc.

I would be nervous with house calls... I have been on a few for home euthanasia but those were well established clients.

There are a lot of crazy people out there and carrying all the medication out to the person's house can be a pain or could be dangerous.

Also, much harder to do any diagnostics when doing house calls. I could maybe consider it for doing simple things, but if the pet is really sick, I would prefer it at the clinic where I have an xray machine/lab etc.
cmon..
90% of appointments don't need sophisticated diagnostics.
Do an ear swab, draw some blood, do an aspiration.... most of that can be done in the home.
Sure, the serious cases need to go in, but that is not the majority.

As for the crazy people? I guess that is an issue, I used to do (legal) pharmacy deliveries and it never fazed me, but then I am not a young, woman.

cmon..
Do an ear swab, draw some blood, do an aspiration.... most of that can be done in the home.

As for the crazy people? I guess that is an issue, I used to do (legal) pharmacy deliveries and it never fazed me, but then I am not a young, woman.
see, more reason to hire LIS.

cmon..

Don't forget you have to transport those ear swabs, blood, aspirations back. Which adds more supplies to carry with you (cooler). I mean, yeah, it is possible and vets do it. I just wouldn't personally do it for anyone that is not already a good client that I know I can trust.

Don't forget you have to transport those ear swabs, blood, aspirations back. Which adds more supplies to carry with you (cooler). I mean, yeah, it is possible and vets do it. I just wouldn't personally do it for anyone that is not already a good client that I know I can trust.
I was just thinking about this more..

I think I would set up "initial consultation rate" which would be a higher charge and include the accompaniment of a burly vet tech to check the scene out. Then, once you are comfortable that it is a nice old man with his italian greyhounds, the next time you come alone at a lower price. It is not really hard to weed out the crazies. JMO.

And I don't see the supply issue as a major problem. a bag with the basics, a cooler in the car with the vaccines, and extra stuff. It isn't that much overhead.

Admittedly not for everyone... but seems like an easy add on to a small practice.

I was just thinking about this more..

I think I would set up "initial consultation rate" which would be a higher charge and include the accompaniment of a burly vet tech to check the scene out. Then, once you are comfortable that it is a nice old man with his italian greyhounds, the next time you come alone at a lower price. It is not really hard to weed out the crazies. JMO.

And I don't see the supply issue as a major problem. a bag with the basics, a cooler in the car with the vaccines, and extra stuff. It isn't that much overhead.

Admittedly not for everyone... but seems like an easy add on to a small practice.

+gas for driving around
+extra maintenance on your car if you are using your personal vehicle
+if not using your personal vehicle, the cost of a car
+ the cost of a big, burly tech (and replacement cost of this tech if something goes wrong.. :p)

(And you are one of the crazies.... ;) )

+gas for driving around
+extra maintenance on your car if you are using your personal vehicle
+if not using your personal vehicle, the cost of a car
+ the cost of a big, burly tech (and replacement cost of this tech if something goes wrong.. :p)

(And you are one of the crazies.... ;) )

Dude. Business write-offs!

The car ain't any different than ambulatory LA vets (arguably cheaper without a truck).