Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it possible to sell just video game ideas? I just had a vivid dream about a video game I swear I've never seen or played in my entire life. Saw characters and game mechanics and errything. Too bad I wanna be a vet instead of a games designer.

Members don't see this ad.

Yesterday I had two experiences that made me sit back and think, "Was I that annoying and weird when I was younger?"

Also, my rabbit keeps making cooing noises like a damn pigeon.

Thank goodness for these kinds of things to prevent stress attacks.
dgkz1i.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just had this epiphany that changed my outlook on the puzzling interactions with the occasional people here and with a subset of special clients that come in feeling like they know more than any vet ever can. You know... The grossly inappropriate but elaborate homemade concoctions they bring in to cure their pets ills that they will not stop no matter how much you plead with them? The ones that make you wonder why they even bother to come and see you since they don't care about your opinion at all. Or the ones that go in a rage and tell you 100 reasons why you should indulge in doing something differently or cheaper.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/lessons-from-dunning-kruger/

We've all heard about the impostor syndrome, but at least I had never heard about the Dunning-Kruger effect which is the exact opposite. That incompetent people particularly in logic grossly overestimate their abilities (in logic) because their incompetence prevents them from even realizing their incompetence, even if they are knowingly discussing something with an expert.

I mean it makes a ton of sense. It truly is just putting a name to the phrase "you can't reason with stupid"

I've always felt like that line of thought was just rude and lazy/dismissive, and that it wasn't doing the world any favors. And I attributed a lot of it to emotional issues that don't allow people to get over their egos and accept a possible alternative angle. I thought that if maybe you were gentle enough and explained slowly in simple non-offensive terms that they might come around. This usually leads to frustration, and I never understood this mysterious wall that stands between reason and incomprehensible spew of quasi-logic that makes no sense whatsoever.

This makes me feel better about how I've needed to resort to NOT indulging in any back and forth explanations to break down illogical arguments/requests and saying "this is my professional opinion and my reason behind it, and this is our hospital policy on how this can logistically be dealt with. These are your options. Take it or leave it."

Reactions: 4 users
Moving into the bf's house at the end of May. Browsing pinterest for DIY ideas for shelving/storage since I have no furniture and this room is smaller that what I'm currently living in. If anyone has done something super easy and cheap, feel free to share.

Moving into the bf's house at the end of May. Browsing pinterest for DIY ideas for shelving/storage since I have no furniture and this room is smaller that what I'm currently living in. If anyone has done something super easy and cheap, feel free to share.
I'd invest in a set of those bed risers. Store stuff underneath the bed.

I'd invest in a set of those bed risers. Store stuff underneath the bed.

Ohhh. I totally might have those at home from undergrad still. Slight issue though...no bed frame as of now. Literally 4 pieces of furniture in this house (landlord let me use all of his cause he didn't want to pay to move it out) and they're all like side tabley things.

if you can hold out a couple of months living like a hermit, college season is just around the corner from May and you can get some excellent deals on that stuff starting in about July

if you can hold out a couple of months living like a hermit, college season is just around the corner from May and you can get some excellent deals on that stuff starting in about July

Very valid as well. I'm also thinking of hitting up the annual dumpster diving that happens here and so much gets tossed that is 100% reusable.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are wild turkeys that wander around South Minneapolis all the time. To be fair, there are plenty of parks and wooded areas for them to live in, but it was still a shock seeing them wandering next to busy streets in the middle of the largest city in Minnesota.

The turkey has a twitter account :https://twitter.com/wphillyturkey

Apparently it's been popping in and out of the area since 2013 after escaping from a fairly local park/garden thing.

She was up in the tree between OVQ and VHUP early this afternoon. ACCT was there and the guy had a ladder to get her. I don't know if he caught her or where he took her if he did.

She was up in the tree between OVQ and VHUP early this afternoon. ACCT was there and the guy had a ladder to get her. I don't know if he caught her or where he took her if he did.

I'm not sure they got her unless ACCT came by after like 1:15 when I was at/on my tour for my lab animal class.

I'm not sure they got her unless ACCT came by after like 1:15 when I was at/on my tour for my lab animal class.

Yeah it would've been around 12:45ish. And you had a lab animal class?! It must've been the one that the trainers teach. I help teach the first year handling class and normally would help teach/present cases for the third year elective, but I'll be on maternity leave.

Yeah it would've been around 12:45ish. And you had a lab animal class?! It must've been the one that the trainers teach. I help teach the first year handling class and normally would help teach/present cases for the third year elective, but I'll be on maternity leave.

Yeah, I'm the elective. Today I had a tour of the facilities with Dr. Marx. Last week I did the handling lab over on Smilow.

Got kicked by my first horse today. 0\10 would not recommend.

Just had this epiphany that changed my outlook on the puzzling interactions with the occasional people here and with a subset of special clients that come in feeling like they know more than any vet ever can. You know... The grossly inappropriate but elaborate homemade concoctions they bring in to cure their pets ills that they will not stop no matter how much you plead with them? The ones that make you wonder why they even bother to come and see you since they don't care about your opinion at all. Or the ones that go in a rage and tell you 100 reasons why you should indulge in doing something differently or cheaper.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/lessons-from-dunning-kruger/

We've all heard about the impostor syndrome, but at least I had never heard about the Dunning-Kruger effect which is the exact opposite. That incompetent people particularly in logic grossly overestimate their abilities (in logic) because their incompetence prevents them from even realizing their incompetence, even if they are knowingly discussing something with an expert.

I mean it makes a ton of sense. It truly is just putting a name to the phrase "you can't reason with stupid"

I've always felt like that line of thought was just rude and lazy/dismissive, and that it wasn't doing the world any favors. And I attributed a lot of it to emotional issues that don't allow people to get over their egos and accept a possible alternative angle. I thought that if maybe you were gentle enough and explained slowly in simple non-offensive terms that they might come around. This usually leads to frustration, and I never understood this mysterious wall that stands between reason and incomprehensible spew of quasi-logic that makes no sense whatsoever.

This makes me feel better about how I've needed to resort to NOT indulging in any back and forth explanations to break down illogical arguments/requests and saying "this is my professional opinion and my reason behind it, and this is our hospital policy on how this can logistically be dealt with. These are your options. Take it or leave it."

Now there's scientific proof for the saying "you can't argue with stupid".

Tying up horses on the rail, there was an open spot between two sweethearts, so I pushed one's butt to move her. She swiped my arm with her hoof and nailed the horse behind me in the butt. No broken bones, but I have a very large bruise developing.

Woof. Bet ya do. I apologize on behalf of the horse ;)

Vets on commission - is this a usual thing? I just found out the corporate masters here run the clinics that way and to say that working on commission makes me uncomfortable is an understatement...

Vets on commission - is this a usual thing? I just found out the corporate masters here run the clinics that way and to say that working on commission makes me uncomfortable is an understatement...

Yes very common. And essentially this applies even if you work on a salary to a certain extent anyway.

A vet should be paid 18-25% of what money they collect from clients to justify their pay. So even if on salary, pay increases usually are determined by your production anyway (at least if the boss has business sense). An associate who does not produce enough to justify their salary will not have their job for too long.

Between straight salary, base salary + production bonus (prosal), and straight production, the difference is essentially how much a "hit" the associate takes in terms of ups and downs of pay each period depending on how busy it is. But in the long run, we all get paid by billing clients... And our take home pay reflects that at some point

Now there's scientific proof for the saying "you can't argue with stupid".

On an episode of Untold Stories of the ER, there was a quote from a doctor that I badly want as a wall-hanging.
There are five rules of medicine:
1) Air goes in and out.
2) Blood goes round and round.
3) You need a liver to live.
4) The kidney is smarter than you.
5) You can't fix stupid.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes very common. And essentially this applies even if you work on a salary to a certain extent anyway.

A vet should be paid 18-25% of what money they collect from clients to justify their pay. So even if on salary, pay increases usually are determined by your production anyway (at least if the boss has business sense). An associate who does not produce enough to justify their salary will not have their job for too long.

Between straight salary, base salary + production bonus (prosal), and straight production, the difference is essentially how much a "hit" the associate takes in terms of ups and downs of pay each period depending on how busy it is. But in the long run, we all get paid by billing clients... And our take home pay reflects that at some point

I understand that. I just hope that it isn't to the extent where I feel like I have to push things that I don't think are necessary. The pressure I felt when I worked in sales (for a short period) isn't something I want to go back to.

Hopefully this is to a lesser extent.

I understand that. I just hope that it isn't to the extent where I feel like I have to push things that I don't think are necessary. The pressure I felt when I worked in sales (for a short period) isn't something I want to go back to.

Hopefully this is to a lesser extent.
I'm on a prosal system and I don't think I'm practicing any differently than when I was on straight salary previously.

I still give the same amount of freebies/courtesy discounts. And I don't do any more diagnostics. I'm someone who really doesn't even push for wellness bloodwork unless the owner wants it.

As long as the hospital is running with appropriate staffing (not over staffed) and with appropriate pricing for the patient load and client base, you'll meet production by practicing good medicine.

I'm on a prosal system and I don't think I'm practicing any differently than when I was on straight salary previously.

I still give the same amount of freebies/courtesy discounts. And I don't do any more diagnostics. I'm someone who really doesn't even push for wellness bloodwork unless the owner wants it.

As long as the hospital is running with appropriate staffing (not over staffed) and with appropriate pricing for the patient load and client base, you'll meet production by practicing good medicine.
this.

But that's why our clinic doesn't operate on prosal or production basis.

We have profit sharing built into our hospital. Basically, if the business does well, so do you. But you don't need to meet quotas. One of the corporate chains used to really focus on the production piece and it was a very negative experience for me despite making the minimum and more each time.

this.

But that's why our clinic doesn't operate on prosal or production basis.

We have profit sharing built into our hospital. Basically, if the business does well, so do you. But you don't need to meet quotas. One of the corporate chains used to really focus on the production piece and it was a very negative experience for me despite making the minimum and more each time.
It's fun when they yell at the doctors when they are making production each period for a low APC/not meeting certain standards that should further increase revenue. Bc being a billion dollar grossing company isn't enough :rolleyes:. But then again, that's what happens when you have a company that started off selling candy bars as the corporation behind it....

It's fun when they yell at the doctors when they are making production each period for a low APC/not meeting certain standards that should further increase revenue. Bc being a billion dollar grossing company isn't enough :rolleyes:. But then again, that's what happens when you have a company that started off selling candy bars as the corporation behind it....
It started before that candy company bought them. Actually, the people at the candy company are reasonable about it and want things to be more client friendly/focused. Field leadership hasn't adapted yet

I have like thirty disembodied cat legs drying on my back porch for a declaw wetlab this evening. Barrier of boxes around them so nobody sees them and thinks I'm some sort of cat serial killer.

...my life is bizarre...

Reactions: 1 users
Back around 2004-2008ish I played (and even was an admin for) a couple of the old-school, non automated style horse sim games, but I never got into that one.
My roommates playing a dog breeding sim game, and I just re-logged into Howrse for the first time in forever.

My roommates playing a dog breeding sim game, and I just re-logged into Howrse for the first time in forever.

Howrse! Oh man, I was all about Howrse for a while. I should log in to my old account sometime. Wonder how my equestrian center is doing these days. :laugh:

I used to play on a dog breeding sim at one point. I think that thing was rigged, to be honest. Or maybe I was just REALLY bad at it, probably more likely this but we can just say it was rigged. :)

Oh goodness I recently re-logged into my wajas (wolf breeding sim) and subeta accounts... nostalgia man. hardcore nostalgia.
I still log into subeta on a decently regular basis just to be up to date. But, don't do hardly anything on there, anymore. It's a shame.