Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to binge a bunch of his films and cry but I have to go to work today :( cancer is the worst

Members don't see this ad.

Alan Rickman :(
auto-Harry-Potter-alan-rickman-quote-201538.jpeg
That quote is actually from a random Harry Potter fan and it got misattributed a few years ago. But it's still very sad. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Torn between being social and going out to celebrate passing boards/classmates' bdays or staying in bed in my PJs with tea and my dog...

Any equine-focused vet students going to the SCAAEP wet lab at Texas A&M vet school this weekend? I'll be there!

I was a volunteer! I think we had one Ohio State student in our lab. Maybe it was you? Did you have a good time/did we treat you well? I hope we left you with a good impression and that you enjoyed your visit! :)

I was a volunteer! I think we had one Ohio State student in our lab. Maybe it was you? Did you have a good time/did we treat you well? I hope we left you with a good impression and that you enjoyed your visit! :)
Loved it! Thank you :) Everyone from Texas A&M was really nice. Sitting in an airport now during a layover. I did advanced lameness, ultrasounds, rectal palpation and joint injections.

Can anyone tell me who the user was several years ago who applied to school around 7 times and got in? I'd love to read the threads about it! :p

Can anyone tell me who the user was several years ago who applied to school around 7 times and got in? I'd love to read the threads about it! :p
I think it was LVT2DVM

Yep. It's hard to pin it down to a single thread, so leafing through her post history may work out the best for you.

Just watched The Martian. I was yet again reminded why I decided to be a veterinarian and not an astronaut :horns:

200_s.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been snowing since last night. Only had two lectures today...staying on the couch with the cat seemed like a better plan.

That storm just barely missed us. It left a light dusting of snow. I don't envy you guys at all.

That storm just barely missed us. It left a light dusting of snow. I don't envy you guys at all.
It isn't too bad. Frozenshades and a lot of our class stayed home, but roads are decently clear now. Pets are thinking we are all crazy to enjoy the snow

I'm currently applying for a scholarship tailored for those interested in reptile/amphibian medicine. It's reminding me how cool I think alligators are, yet how absolutely terrified I am of them.

Does anyone else have a species that gives them nightmares, or I am just a pansy?

I'm currently applying for a scholarship tailored for those interested in reptile/amphibian medicine. It's reminding me how cool I think alligators are, yet how absolutely terrified I am of them.

Does anyone else have a species that gives them nightmares, or I am just a pansy?

Cockroaches :( but I LOOOVE alligators! And any reptiles really. Sooo cute and cold blooded and whatnot...

200w.gif

Cockroaches :( but I LOOOVE alligators! And any reptiles really. Sooo cute and cold blooded and whatnot...

200w.gif
I think they're cute too! However being charged at by one is rather unforgettable haha. Different than all of the growling dogs and yowling cats. Just something about growing up in a place where you're constantly taught not to swim in ponds and whatever because they are there....eep! I'm obsessed yet scared. Not sure what's wrong with me.

I'll also never forget when I was riding the monorail at Walt Disney World, I looked out of the window at Magic Kingdom, and saw an alligator that had to be 10 feet long. Amazing! I secretly hoped it was going to make it to the wildlife ward....yet I also screamed when I saw it haha.

I think they're cute too! However being charged at by one is rather unforgettable haha. Different than all of the growling dogs and yowling cats. Just something about growing up in a place where you're constantly taught not to swim in ponds and whatever because they are there....eep! I'm obsessed yet scared. Not sure what's wrong with me.

I'll also never forget when I was riding the monorail at Walt Disney World, I looked out of the window at Magic Kingdom, and saw an alligator that had to be 10 feet long. Amazing! I secretly hoped it was going to make it to the wildlife ward....yet I also screamed when I saw it haha.

OMG! I grew up by the Everglades and my mom was a lifeguard in the area. She always taught us that they are more scared of us than we are of them, and that there was nothing to worry about in the water! The dogs on the other hand were NEVER allowed near. Lol!

I've worked with them in zoos and my lab is really focused on them (most grad students and my professor work a lot with crocodilians in South America). Actually, a few people from my lab went to a nearby zoo today to get some DNA from crocs for a project we are doing... But, I'm still weary around them and super careful! Their jaw is terrifying!

Last edited:
OMG! I grew up by the Everglades and my mom was a lifeguard in the area. She always taught us that they are more scared of us than we are of them, and that there was nothing to worry about in the water! The dogs on the other hand were NEVER allowed near. Lol!

I've worked with them in zoos and my lab is really focused on them (most grad students and my professor work a lot with crocodilians in South America). Actually, a few people from my lab went to a nearby zoo today to get some DNA from crocs for a project we are doing... But, I'm still weary around them and super careful! Their jaw is terrifying!
:eek::confused:

Idk if I was being gullible or not....but the pathologist I worked with once told me that they had nile croc in the cooler for a necropsy in the near future. She went in to drop another body off and saw something flinch out of the corner of her eye. Turns out the croc wasn't ready for a necropsy quite yet. Reptiles are crazy in what they can tolerate though.

Reactions: 2 users

just remember .... gators and crocs... very different.

Alligators may be scared of you (eh, not so sure), crocs aren't. They kill lots of humans in Africa. Them and hippos kill more than any other animals down there IIRC (except maybe mosquitoes if you count malaria).

Reactions: 1 users

Alligators may be scared of you (eh, not so sure), crocs aren't. They kill lots of humans in Africa. Them and hippos kill more than any other animals down there IIRC (except maybe mosquitoes if you count malaria).
Hippos are the worst man.

I can't think of any animals that give me nightmares but if I never saw a huge roach inside a house again in my life I would be very happy.

Ohhhhh I know. We watched a video yesterday about a nile crocodile that came out of the water and ate a guy from his kayak... So scary. I've really only worked with crocodiles in zoos but I much prefer alligators either way. Lol

Edit: I also refer to alligators and crocodiles as crocodilians or "crocs" just because they're still all in the same order

Edit edit: if you say crocodile over and over the word sounds so weird... :D

Hippos are the worst man.

I can't think of any animals that give me nightmares but if I never saw a huge roach inside a house again in my life I would be very happy.
Oh Florida, you and your roaches!

Actually the ones i was thinking of were in PA
Oh man, never been there. Michigan has some pretty impressive roaches if you know where to look, but the biggest ones I've seen yet were in Florida. And those things SMELL.

We had one chillin with us during our necropsy last night. They'll probably even more present with all the snow. They hate the cold.
The aviary I worked at has a **** ton of little ones that they can't get rid of because pest control stuff that actually works is too dangerous for the birds, so they hide out in the lamps and such in the hospital areas. And my dorm junior year had issues with them getting into the pipes over winter and spring break. I think we had 6 that were 2+ inches long in 3 days. It was horrifying.

Oh man, never been there. Michigan has some pretty impressive roaches if you know where to look, but the biggest ones I've seen yet were in Florida. And those things SMELL.
Yeah, they're definitely around, but they don't seem to get into my house, so I don't care about them.

Some people have appreciated my anime recommendations before, so ERASED is worth checking out. Dark subject matter, but very compelling plot.

Also, I actually watched The X Files for the first time yesterday. Holy ****. That show is ridiculous in the best way possible.

Reactions: 5 users
Some people have appreciated my anime recommendations before, so ERASED is worth checking out. Dark subject matter, but very compelling plot.

Also, I actually watched The X Files for the first time yesterday. Holy ****. That show is ridiculous in the best way possible.
:eek: You never watched X Files?!! Yay for new episodes bringing in the younger generations!

:eek: You never watched X Files?!! Yay for new episodes bringing in the younger generations!
Wait, are you older than me? I grew up with it (admittedly it would have been a bit mature for me when it started), but didn't get into science fiction until after the series ended, so I'd just never seen it.

Wait, are you older than me? I grew up with it (admittedly it would have been a bit mature for me when it started), but didn't get into science fiction until after the series ended, so I'd just never seen it.
haha! Don't know about your age, but I am fixin' to hit 33.

Okay, you are, but not much. I'm 28.

It made me smile internally today when I had mentioned to a first year that I had left New York ~8 months before 9/11 hit and she told me she was in fourth grade when that happened. I have always lived a lifestyle that my age makes me feel young, but little reminders are always an interesting occurrence.

It made me smile internally today when I had mentioned to a first year that I had left New York ~8 months before 9/11 hit and she told me she was in fourth grade when that happened. I have always lived a lifestyle that my age makes me feel young, but little reminders are always an interesting occurrence.
:( I'm a third year and I was in third grade when that happened. I actually moved to the States late September 2001.

Definitely was in 4th grade when 9/11 happened. They canceled school halfway through the day, so I got to spend the day with my mom since they also closed the malls. My sister was in 1st grade, so she doesn't even really remember it well.

I was holding the door open for my dog to go outside. She was sniffing around the food bin, so I was telling her (affectionately and slightly loudly) 'the booty goes outside.' Like, 'get you butt outside', but with more love? I don't know.

I came back inside and my family was chanting THE BOOTY GOES OUTSIDE, THE BOOTY GOES OUTSIDE to mock me.

Reactions: 9 users
I was holding the door open for my dog to go outside. She was sniffing around the food bin, so I was telling her (affectionately and slightly loudly) 'the booty goes outside.' Like, 'get you butt outside', but with more love? I don't know.

I came back inside and my family was chanting THE BOOTY GOES OUTSIDE, THE BOOTY GOES OUTSIDE to mock me.
:rofl:

Okay, this is a weird request, but I'm trying to offer some pieces for sale to help fund an externship this summer (need housing, gas, food, etc.) since finding a job has been next to impossible with my school schedule this semester...so, would any of you guys actually pay for something like this? It's just woodburning plus a bit of watercolor, so I wouldn't price it at that much. I plan on making several different animals and maybe flowers. Yea or nay? :\

MxDQ0Pk.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Okay, this is a weird request, but I'm trying to offer some pieces for sale to help fund an externship this summer (need housing, gas, food, etc.) since finding a job has been next to impossible with my school schedule this semester...so, would any of you guys actually pay for something like this? It's just woodburning plus a bit of watercolor, so I wouldn't price it at that much. I plan on making several different animals and maybe flowers. Yea or nay? :\

MxDQ0Pk.jpg

Omgggg yes X1000000

I was in second grade when it happened. I'm a baby compared to a lot of you guys.

I was working in a office, my son was 3 1/2. I remember there had been several small plane crashes the summer prior, like a Cessna crashing into a home. When my co-worker came in and told us a plane hit the WTC, I assumed it was another small plane. There wasn't any official info at that time. Then they moved a tv into a large area with seats and we wandered in and out all day. I watched the second tower fall in real time.

I was at home in Singapore and we watched it that night after a friend called to tell me. We watched the 2nd hit. I was in 10th grade. They were sure there was an imminent threat to our American school so we had armed guards at school. Then they actually did foil a plot on the naval base in the area scheduled for Dec.

MxDQ0Pk.jpg

Definitely yes!

MxDQ0Pk.jpg
I WANT ONE