Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This reminds me of a news story I saw recently where a golden with a 40 lb tumor covering one entire side of his chest was found abandoned on a beach. They removed his tumor but I don't think had heard back as to whether it was cancerous by the time I read the article. It is a golden though so I didn't have high hopes there.
The article: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...-on-life-after-having-46-pound-tumor-removed/

Members don't see this ad.

Yaaaassss

:biglove:

@Abney
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hopkins
The Fireman by Joe Hill
I really liked John Dies at the End by David Wong but it's a weird one

I've spent the last couple months slowly trying to catch up on WTNV. I'm around episode 40 I think.

The Fireman is about a worldwide pandemic of spontaneous combustion caused by a spore called Draco Incendia Trychophyton (friends and enemies alike call it Dragonscale). The main character is a nurse named Harper who is obsessed with Mary Poppins and other children's stories (some Harry Potter references in there!). Some parallels to The Stand, and my favorite things about Joe Hill's writing are pretty much the same as my favorite things about his father's. So I really enjoyed it :)
I actually loved Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill and have been eyeballing Fireman but wasn't sold. I'll give it a try!

Reactions: 1 user
Podcasts:
Ask Me Another (comedy quiz show with Jonathan Coultan as show musician)

Alice isn't Dead (so far reminds me of something Steven King would write)

Within the Wires (mystery Sci fi?)

Stories: This American Life, Radiolab, Mystery Show

And currently getting a kick out of: More Perfect

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the idea to get in the habit of making foods ahead of time so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking every day when school starts. Meal planning I guess. But omg it is difficult to plan everything! Halp!

I had the idea to get in the habit of making foods ahead of time so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking every day when school starts. Meal planning I guess. But omg it is difficult to plan everything! Halp!

How do you feel about eating the same thing for a week?

I find the easiest way to cook ahead is just make 2-3 things on Sunday's, and then eat off of them for lunch and dinners the rest of the week. I'd usually freeze a serving or two of everything as well if it was something that keeps well so that I had back up stuff.

I like the meal programs like blue apron and hello fresh. One delivery makes almost two weeks of meals for me. If you want a free trial from either, pm me you email address and I'll send you an invite.

I like the meal programs like blue apron and hello fresh. One delivery makes almost two weeks of meals for me. If you want a free trial from either, pm me you email address and I'll send you an invite.
Is it overall more expensive than just buying your own groceries would be?

Is it overall more expensive than just buying your own groceries would be?
I have found it to be cheaper, but I also eat smaller portions. If they send a meal that is supposed to be 2 servings and 800cal/serving, I often make those 2 servings last 4. So in general I get a box that is three meals that are supposed to be a total of six servings and they last me ten to twelve servings instead and it costs about $60. Since I am I member of two plans, I just pick the one I like best and I order one every other week. I just go to the store for lunches (I don't eat breakfast).

Hmmm. I'll have to look into it. I do eat breakfast so would have to do at least some grocery shopping anyway. I'll b figure out how much I'm spending on my own and then see if it seems like it would be cheaper. Thanks for the suggestion :D

That is similar to my brain when studying during vet school....

Me: I will begin studying at 3PM, after this one episode on Netflix

My brain: Oh ****, it is 3:01, well missed that window, can't study now, will have to start at 4PM...

Me: Guess one more episode can't hurt...

My brain: Crap, you missed it again, it is 4:02....

Me: Well one more episode is probably good anyway, I wasn't feeling very focused anyway....

Reactions: 7 users
That is similar to my brain when studying during vet school....

Me: I will begin studying at 3PM, after this one episode on Netflix

My brain: Oh ****, it is 3:01, well missed that window, can't study now, will have to start at 4PM...

Me: Guess one more episode can't hurt...

My brain: Crap, you missed it again, it is 4:02....

Me: Well one more episode is probably good anyway, I wasn't feeling very focused anyway....
That is exactly what I did in undergrad :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
I started American Gods and it was much appreciated. There were 3 (THREE!!!) construction spots where only one side could go at a time and I hit them all at the wrong time and had to wait at least 30 at each one

Reactions: 2 users
I started American Gods and it was much appreciated. There were 3 (THREE!!!) construction spots where only one side could go at a time and I hit them all at the wrong time and had to wait at least 30 at each one

I never realize how badly I have to pee until I'm stuck waiting for construction.

This making meals ahead of time thing is going pretty well so far. So far: rotisserie chicken noodle soup, spaghetti and meat sauce, honey lemon chicken. Just brocolli cheddar frittata and pasta salad left to go!

Gonna have a lot of cleaning to do when I'm done...

Reactions: 2 users
Finally finished the shark course. That was pretty neat, thanks again for posting it kata...least I'm pretty sure it was her.

Reactions: 1 users
I should have known the same thing would happen that always happens with me and free online courses. I think I am still somewhere in week one :oops:

Lol. Were you getting emails about new content each week? That's how I would remember. :)

Glad you enjoyed it bottle! I thought they did a great job. So proud of my advisors/friends!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol. Were you getting emails about new content each week? That's how I would remember. :)

Glad you enjoyed it bottle! I thought they did a great job. So proud of my advisors/friends!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes, but I missed the initial email so was almost two weeks behind to begin with, and then got caught up in moving and all that.
I'm just bad at online courses, it has happened with every single one I've tried to take haha

Happy Embryologist Day everybody!

Yes, Kata, thanks for letting me know about the course! I managed to get through three and a half weeks' worth before I got caught up with other things, but I really enjoyed the material (surprisingly a lot of it was review from previous classes of mine, though).

And, yes, many of the posts on the FB page were... entertaining. :laugh:

20160725_202724.jpg
Sorry it's fuzzy... but it's still cute!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, Kata, thanks for letting me know about the course! I managed to get through three and a half weeks' worth before I got caught up with other things, but I really enjoyed the material (surprisingly a lot of it was review from previous classes of mine, though).

And, yes, many of the posts on the FB page were... entertaining. :laugh:

I was so thrown by your new avatar. It took me a minute to figure out that I do actually know who you are. :laugh:

So.

Took my wife to the train station tonight to catch the late train out of St. Paul bound for the west coast, where she is visiting her parents and picking up the kids to bring back in a few weeks.

Thought I'd help her on the train and get her settled. Because contrary to my grumpy-ass reputation, I'm actually kinda a nice guy like that some times.

Got her settled, said our good byes. Headed down to the lower level of the train car to get off - only to find the door locked and nobody around. 30 seconds later the train starts rolling, with my hitchhiking stupid ass aboard.

And, of course, I left the dog in the car at the train station.

All's well that ends well. The Amtrak staff were super professional about it - courteous and had a sense of humor. They arranged to stop at the old abandoned station that they quit using a few years ago and booted me off the train. Was kinda weird getting dumped in the middle of a dark, abandoned, industrial area, but I had called en route and had a cab on the way. Kudos to Amtrak for letting me get off in Sketchville instead of making me ride all the way to the next stop.

But my brief adventure in stowaway-ing was awfully fun.

Reactions: 15 users
So.

Took my wife to the train station tonight to catch the late train out of St. Paul bound for the west coast, where she is visiting her parents and picking up the kids to bring back in a few weeks.

Thought I'd help her on the train and get her settled. Because contrary to my grumpy-ass reputation, I'm actually kinda a nice guy like that some times.

Got her settled, said our good byes. Headed down to the lower level of the train car to get off - only to find the door locked and nobody around. 30 seconds later the train starts rolling, with my hitchhiking stupid ass aboard.

And, of course, I left the dog in the car at the train station.

All's well that ends well. The Amtrak staff were super professional about it - courteous and had a sense of humor. They arranged to stop at the old abandoned station that they quit using a few years ago and booted me off the train. Was kinda weird getting dumped in the middle of a dark, abandoned, industrial area, but I had called en route and had a cab on the way. Kudos to Amtrak for letting me get off in Sketchville instead of making me ride all the way to the next stop.

But my brief adventure in stowaway-ing was awfully fun.
I read that on FB and was laughing so hard

When I started posting again I thought I'd have 5+ year thingy. Not until Feb :yeahright:
I wish I could have found my old account. I started on SDN when I was just out of undergrad... Around 2006-2008, I think closer to 2008, but either way, the 2 year member gets no respect :D

I'm a wee semi-noob...can't even believe I'm coming up on the 1-year mark soon. I really should have found/joined sooner!

I read that on FB and was laughing so hard

You should have seen my face when I'm standing there trying to figure out how the hell to get off this train and I suddenly realize that it's moving.

And then we're passing the parking garage. Where my car is. With my dog.

Reactions: 5 users
You should have seen my face when I'm standing there trying to figure out how the hell to get off this train and I suddenly realize that it's moving.

And then we're passing the parking garage. Where my car is. With my dog.

How long did it take to get back to your car? And how much did the taxi ride cost you?

Even when my addiction wasn't nearly so bad (aka I wasn't playing WW), I figured I got $15-20/year of value out of the info and community here, so I've been a donor for a while.

How long did it take to get back to your car? And how much did the taxi ride cost you?

Wasn't too bad. They moved from their old station in St. Paul to a new one a few years back, so they aren't really that far apart. 15 minute cab ride, maybe. I don't remember how much it cost - I was just so glad to get a cab and get back to my dog. :)

Wasn't too bad. They moved from their old station in St. Paul to a new one a few years back, so they aren't really that far apart. 15 minute cab ride, maybe. I don't remember how much it cost - I was just so glad to get a cab and get back to my dog. :)
I thought it was really funny until I realized your poor pup was stuck there in the car!