RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My grandpa passed away last night :(. The funeral is on Friday and I'm having a hard time getting off of work. I have to fly to Wisconsin and my mom doesn't want to get caught in bad weather and wants to leave Wednesday. I feel bad for leaving my boss and co-workers to fend for themselves, but this means a lot to me and my family. I'll also be missing my boyfriend's 23rd birthday, but he's very understanding about the whole situation. It's only Monday and already this week sucks :(.

Members don't see this ad.

My grandpa passed away last night :(. The funeral is on Friday and I'm having a hard time getting off of work. I have to fly to Wisconsin and my mom doesn't want to get caught in bad weather and wants to leave Wednesday. I feel bad for leaving my boss and co-workers to fend for themselves, but this means a lot to me and my family. I'll also be missing my boyfriend's 23rd birthday, but he's very understanding about the whole situation. It's only Monday and already this week sucks :(.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa CFC :(. Really, don't worry about work. I'm sure just a couple of short-staffed days are nothing in the long run compared to what you and your family are going through right now.

CFC - I'm sorry to hear about your loss and the complicated scheduling.

My rant: I hate the stomach flu. ER visit yesterday for hypovolemia, 10 hr workday today. No Bueno.

Members don't see this ad :)
My grandpa passed away last night :(. The funeral is on Friday and I'm having a hard time getting off of work. I have to fly to Wisconsin and my mom doesn't want to get caught in bad weather and wants to leave Wednesday. It's only Monday and already this week sucks :(.

Sympathies and hugs, CFC!! I hope you're able to make it home without too much difficulty.

My rant: I hate the stomach flu. ER visit yesterday for hypovolemia, 10 hr workday today. No Bueno.

Feel better, FTB!!!

My grandpa passed away last night :(.

CFC - I'm so very sorry for your loss. My sympathies to you and your family. As for your workplace, I'm certain they'll be fine. Going to WI to be with your family is much more important.

Box - Hope you feel better soon!

My rant: I've finally lost it in regard to the application cycle... Opened my mailbox, and a thin white envelope hit the floor. After a mini meltdown, I picked it up only to discover it was a piece of junk mail from my cable company. There goes the farm...

I'm so sorry about your family's loss. It's always so hard to lose the ones we love. I'm glad your bf is being supportive. I hope it works out with the weather, flight, work scheduling and everything else you have to deal with this week. You're in my thoughts.

I'm so fed up with my boyfriend's parents. Every time they talk to him they bring up this girl he went to high school with. Apparently she is super gorgeous, super skinny, super rich and, of course, she is a vet. She went to a school in the Caribbean, got in when she was 20, has no debt because her parents paid for everything. They constantly bring her up and I'm sick of it. They wish he was with her not with me. I'm not gorgeous, skinny, or rich and it is probably going to take me 2 or 3 tries to get in to AVC. I seriously want to tell them to f*** off. This application process already makes me doubt myself, I don't need to hear about this super awesome girl who is a million times better than me and already a vet :rolleyes:

I'm so fed up with my boyfriend's parents. Every time they talk to him they bring up this girl he went to high school with. Apparently she is super gorgeous, super skinny, super rich and, of course, she is a vet. She went to a school in the Caribbean, got in when she was 20, has no debt because her parents paid for everything. They constantly bring her up and I'm sick of it. They wish he was with her not with me. I'm not gorgeous, skinny, or rich and it is probably going to take me 2 or 3 tries to get in to AVC. I seriously want to tell them to f*** off. This application process already makes me doubt myself, I don't need to hear about this super awesome girl who is a million times better than me and already a vet :rolleyes:

She's probably not even real from the sound of it.

CFC - I am also very sorry for your loss. Grandparents are so special, and I still miss mine even though it's been many years since they died. As for work, believe me when I say that work is so insignificant compared to the times with family. Families need to mourn together. It's part of life. No one at work should have even the slightest objection. Safe trip.

Ky: I have heard nothing but great things about you. There are two people out there, me included, who feel that you have a good shot at getting in, if not this year, definitely with minimal improvement. You are smart, did well on the GRE and have a lot of cool experiences. You have two up on me (grades and GRE) so I have hope that you will get to the interview stage. If not, you are always welcome to come gain residency elsewhere with me! I will be needing someone to share the rent with.

I know one of those people too. I went out with her brother. She used to be my friend and then treated me like garbage in high school. I deleted her from facebook years ago and just had to bite my tongue whenever her brother started talking about her and her success (and her successes are HUGE. I do not even want to mention it for fear that all of the SDNers will start feeling the wrath of jealousy).

If you need to vent, you know where to find me.
Sorry Ky... just wanted to let all of SDN know that you are awesome. I know there are others following you who perhaps feel the same way.

She's probably not even real from the sound of it.

Unfortunately she is, although most of her attributes are likely highly exaggerated. His mom doesn't like me so bringing this girl up is one of the many ways she tries to get rid of me.

Ky: I have heard nothing but great things about you. There are two people out there, me included, who feel that you have a good shot at getting in, if not this year, definitely with minimal improvement. You are smart, did well on the GRE and have a lot of cool experiences. You have two up on me (grades and GRE) so I have hope that you will get to the interview stage. If not, you are always welcome to come gain residency elsewhere with me! I will be needing someone to share the rent with.

I know one of those people too. I went out with her brother. She used to be my friend and then treated me like garbage in high school. I deleted her from facebook years ago and just had to bite my tongue whenever her brother started talking about her and her success (and her successes are HUGE. I do not even want to mention it for fear that all of the SDNers will start feeling the wrath of jealousy).

If you need to vent, you know where to find me.
Sorry Ky... just wanted to let all of SDN know that you are awesome. I know there are others following you who perhaps feel the same way.

Thanks, I needed this. :)

Unfortunately she is, although most of her attributes are likely highly exaggerated. His mom doesn't like me so bringing this girl up is one of the many ways she tries to get rid of me.

Only Bill Gates can go Caribbean debt free.

Don't worry. People like that always have some secret shame. She probably gets chronic yeast infections or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fishfinn, moody has a good point about sucking up your pride and all that, but you can look at this another way.

First, when she asks you to do stupid things like unload the food order and such, do it with a smile. Make it seem like you don't mind at all. As mentioned previously, bullies thrive on reaction.

Second, bullies don't like being confronted. If she were talking smack about me, I would walk up to her and remind her that your hearing is indeed fully functional, and that while she she may feel that her behavior is acceptable, it actually isn't. All said with a smile. In most cases, people will treat you how you allow them to treat you. If you let her treat you like crap, that's what she's going to do because she's insecure and bolsters her confidence by bringing others down.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice, and I agree with you. I do everything with a smile, never complain about anything. I don't confront this girl though. I've had a lot of thoughts about doing it and have been tempted, but it's not my personality. Next time she comments about me when I'm within earshot, I will muster up the courage to say something...

Personally, I think if you're just there shadowing, there's no reason to bust your butt doing things like unloading food. When I first started shadowing, I was really trying to be helpful to the techs, because I did feel like I was getting in their way. But when one of the off duty vets asked me why I was in the back unpacking meds instead of in office visits, I realized that's what I was there to do and that's what I should have been doing. I don't mean to say that you shouldn't be helpful to the techs, because we all know sometimes we are in the way when we shadow, but there's no reason you should be doing grunt work just because this girl's being a jerk. I personally would either ask the vet if he/she feels like that's something you should be doing, or tell the tech that you're there to shadow, you don't mind helping, but it should be a learning experience. Easier said than done, I know, but what's the tech going to do? Complain to the vet that you're not doing her job for her?

Yes! She always asks me: "Do you want to unpack the order?" As she's asking me if I "want" to do it, she's already handing me the special order book and scissors to open boxes. Next time, I would love to say no and tell her to do it herself. I hate it when I feel like I'm just there to do the work they don't want to do. I'm definitely going to make sure I learn as much as I can with each visit, and not hauling gigantic bags of food the entire time. It's not like the vet is asking me to do this stuff. He is always inviting me to watch surgeries, which is what I'd rather be doing!

Only Bill Gates can go Caribbean debt free.

Don't worry. People like that always have some secret shame. She probably gets chronic yeast infections or something.

Or a serious case of crabs, perhaps? :laugh:

First, CFC... I am so very sorry to hear about your Grandfather. My grandfather's birthday is today and he passed away last year suddenly. It will be a rough day, but what helps me is remembering all the awesome memories we had with him. I hope you are able to find peace in his passing.
And seriously, as a person who would worry about work too... don't worry about work! I know how you feel, I've been there, but any human with half a heart would be more than happy to bust their butts a little extra so you can be with your family. And if they aren't, then they're not worth the time to worry about! :D

My rant: I've finally lost it in regard to the application cycle... Opened my mailbox, and a thin white envelope hit the floor. After a mini meltdown, I picked it up only to discover it was a piece of junk mail from my cable company. There goes the farm...
:laugh::laugh: I am "laughing with you" since I have done very similar things through this application cycle.

:laugh::laugh::thumbup::laugh:

CFC- hearts & hugs to you... so so sorry :(

Ky, clearly your guys sees many awesome things in you. Isn't that all that matters? I mean, he did choose you, right??

CFC - my heart breaks for you. I agree with Bisbee, family comes first. Your coworkers will survive without you, businesses always do. You do what you need for yourself, and your family.

So sorry, CFC. I hope you can sort out the travel arrangements without too many problems. It's so sad to lose grandparents. As Bisbee said, they are so special. :(

Vet school is stressful, I get that. But this semester the majority of the stress and hair-pulling and ranting is just stupid little problems and frustrations that shouldn't be happening! Learn how to teach a freaking class!!!

This rant is so superficial, considering what others are going through, but I just HAVE to rant. I picked up a BEAUTIFUL new rug yesterday from a friend of mine who ordered the wrong color. I was soooo excited to have a new, gorgeous piece in my living room. The cat and dog were veeeeeery interested. I didn't think they would actually DO anything though... my cat being litter trained and never having peed on anything, and my dog being almost 6, obviously housebroken and no urinary or bladder issues. I get to work this morning (didn't go into the living room, so I didn't notice), boyfriend texts me that the dog **** and PEED on my brand new WOOL RUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
These babies are not easy to clean, let me tell you! So all morning I've been trying to coach my boyfriend on how to clean it via text messaging while I'm at work... Not looking forward to see the damage when I get home.

Trivial, but still maddening rant over. :(

This rant is so superficial, considering what others are going through, but I just HAVE to rant. I picked up a BEAUTIFUL new rug yesterday from a friend of mine who ordered the wrong color. I was soooo excited to have a new, gorgeous piece in my living room. The cat and dog were veeeeeery interested. I didn't think they would actually DO anything though... my cat being litter trained and never having peed on anything, and my dog being almost 6, obviously housebroken and no urinary or bladder issues. I get to work this morning (didn't go into the living room, so I didn't notice), boyfriend texts me that the dog **** and PEED on my brand new WOOL RUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
These babies are not easy to clean, let me tell you! So all morning I've been trying to coach my boyfriend on how to clean it via text messaging while I'm at work... Not looking forward to see the damage when I get home.

Trivial, but still maddening rant over. :(
Oh man have I been there. I was given a really expensive rug as a gift when I moved into my house about a year and a half ago (same deal as you, wrong color for someone else's house) and my newfie/golden mix chewed it up. Granted, he eats everything so it wasn't surprising (he's eaten a couch, computer chargers, the wall, shoes, remotes, picture frames, he's really into lampshades right now) but still really irritating. Its a good thing I absolutely adore that boy.

Paid $100 for a rug (a good price for the rug, it was nice) and the cat must have peed on it 4-5 times before I finally noticed. It was dark colored and under the coffee table.

So. Yep.

We pet lovers are just not allowed to have nice rugs like other folks. The price we pay for having our little varmints around I guess (though, yeah...I've been through the rug thing too many times.

I gave up on nice rugs long ago. Now I get cheapies that I can throw in the washer.

Twelvetigers: that really sucks, my cat vomits on everything. Makes it hard to have nice carpet period.

Last edited:
I found out my dad's tumors are inoperable. I can't stop crying and I have work in a few hours.

Yeah, I mean, I've dealt with cleaning rugs before, but never wool, and never a rug that I cared too much about. I was SO excited about getting this, and it was only $135 which is a steal. Guess I should've known better, but sheesh- can't we have any nice things?!?

Here's a pic:

L13362610.jpg

Bigkittenteef - my own father is currently battling prostate cancer. I know how scary and awful it can be, especially when bad news like this comes. If you ever want to rant or just write how you feel, absolutely send me a PM. I'll listen. *hugs*

That's terrible news Bigkittenteef. Is your father going to have some other form of treatment like chemo or maybe radiation? I remember when my own father had cancer. I was so wanting to hear good news from the doctors, and then having the bad news visits. It's such a let-down. Hang in.

Can someone please make a "**** Vet Students Say?"... if there already is one, can you please post the link :)

this one's good:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovEghdXC4tE[/YOUTUBE]

and this one:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNMllBdAppc[/YOUTUBE]

lostbunny,
Thank you for these! I am wasting time at my research lab while my bacteria grow and I love these videos. I love the part where he gets locked out (I just locked myself out of my office this morning). I am also a tall female and get a lot of thos questions. However no one has ever asked me if I'm friends with any giraffes lol:rofl:

First, BigKittenteef and WTF - I am so very very sorry to hear about your fathers and cannot imagine the pain and stress you're going through. I know how painful it was to watch my godfather pass from lung/brain cancer even though the doctors did all they could and were able to perform surgical interventions in order to give him a few more good quality months. BK, I really wish I had a way to ease your pain. You are all in my thoughts...

Now, on a completely different note, I don't know where this came from, but I see little pieces of me from my 3rd year way back when before I jumped ship to chase the vet school dream. I laughed out loud through the entire thing (something I really needed today, so thanks!!). If I leave now, I can probably get a Masters... Ha!

[YOUTUBE]ovEghdXC4tE[/YOUTUBE]

As a tall girl, I really appreciated that one. Thanks for the levity.

So turns out I'm not going to get the awesome refund I thought I was going to get. Now I'm stressing about how to get through the summer. I don't know if I'm going to be able to find a job here in Gainesville and I've signed a lease with my apartment through the end of July so I pretty much have to make this work. I'm freaking out a little bit.

Sorry to hear about your dad, bigkittenteef :(

Hi Starving and Cranky,
I hope you can hang in there and find some good stuff to eat to fill you up that isn't too bad on the diet. I'm sure you'll look great on the beach. Don't worry. Also, you probably missed it on another thread, but I wondered how the MCAT went? I've just begun studying for it myself.

Well a can of tuna fish on a bed of lettuce twice a day is not exactly filling, but it is possibly working :D

Oh my.....:scared:.... I'll PM you :D

I found out my dad's tumors are inoperable. I can't stop crying and I have work in a few hours.

Oh dear. I am so sorry BKT. Life seems really unfair sometimes. :mad:

CFC, I also wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of your Grandpa.

It's amazing at what we think is important day-to-day and then your world gets turned upside down and puts it all into perspective.

note: this is going to be a silly rant...

i am sick and tired of living at home. don't get me wrong, i LOOOOOVE my mom and sister. we are super close, like more like best friends than mom/daughter/sister kind of relationship. but after living on my own for 4 years before moving back home earlier in may 2011, they've been driving me up the wall.

UGHHH I CAN'T WAIT TO START SCHOOL IN THE FALL. i feel like my mom doesn't realize that i am 22 and can take care of myself! then my mom and sister fight and i either get dragged into it or have to be in the middle and negotiate everything and i hate it.

:bang:

ETA: i'm so sorry bigkittinteef and CFC :( it's tough when stuff like that happens to your closest family members. my thoughts are with you.

while this picture should count as a rave because it made me laugh so hard, i have to rant because our dog ATE her poop AGAIN!!! It's so gross, and she comes back inside chomping her mouth and licking like it's the most delicious thing in the world and then tries to come snuggle with you with her poop breath aaahh! While that face might look adorable (see avatar), she wont stop eating poop!!!!! and then I found this picture and it is literally just how she acts after she does the poop eating deed, so that at least made me laugh.

http://9gag.com/gag/2312416
Trivial rant. but had to share.

Last edited:
while this picture should count as a rave because it made me laugh so hard, i have to rant because our dog ATE her poop AGAIN!!! It's so gross, and she comes back inside chomping her mouth and licking like it's the most delicious thing in the world and then tries to come snuggle with you with her poop breath aaahh! While that face might look adorable (see avatar), she wont stop eating poop!!!!! and then I found this picture and it is literally just how she acts after she does the poop eating deed, so that at least made me laugh.

http://9gag.com/gag/2312416
Trivial rant. but had to share.

Oh wow, my cockapoo used to do that all the time (the kisses after she consumes the poo-poo platter are the worst)! Wife and I just had a good laugh at that picture and your story because its so true! We tried Forbid which worked until we stopped using it... the best thing that worked was getting our dog a pet cat (we think our pup was bored as my wife and I were doing the full-time school + 40hrs/wk job at that time).

In all seriousness, that STINKS! (Ok, I had to do it. But really, it's a serious problem and I hope you're able to get her to break the habit)

Yuck! My golden retriever (who passed away at age 15 last year) used to be a poop eater, too. I always said she was the most perfect dog except for the one bad habit, and it was true. But that bad habit was really bad because of the snuggling (or lack thereof) and became harder and harder to break the older she got. Yuck! My new dogs don't do that (yet). My sympathies. I know that they sell tablets to feed the dog to discourage it, and then some say adding anise seed to their food. These didn't work for "Angie" though. Maybe you'll have better Yuck...I mean luck! Ha!