RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aww, someone was paying attention in Epi!
I find prions fascinating so I tend to be able to stay awake when people talk about them. And that lady was a really engaging speaker.:p

Members don't see this ad.

Silly public.
I'm waiting for them to officially declare whether or not CWD can be transmitted to people. I think I read of a study deeming it possible, but there hasn't been really any other evidence supporting it. Cause I find that scary as well, since I don't think people really think about it or know about CWD as much.
We talked about CWD in our zoonotics class. I think it has been experimentally transmitted to squirrel monkeys but in vitro conversion of human prions by cervid prions was found to be "inefficient" so it isn't considered zoonotic as of now.

Silly public.
I'm waiting for them to officially declare whether or not CWD can be transmitted to people. I think I read of a study deeming it possible, but there hasn't been really any other evidence supporting it. Cause I find that scary as well, since I don't think people really think about it or know about CWD as much.

I don't think a lot of people pay attention to CWD. I think it will be in the news more though because it is sweeping through the midwest right now. It is amazing how many deer are coming back positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think a lot of people pay attention to CWD. I think it will be in the news more though because it is sweeping through the midwest right now. It is amazing how many deer are coming back positive.

That was one the reasons I applied to CSU. I think I found a person who worked on prions, whether it was testing animals to see if they were positive or trying to develop new diagnostic techniques I can't really remember, but I thought it would have been cool to try to work with them since they're right in the area. Plus, I think a herd in Ft. Collins is where CWD was first found. Could be wrong though.

That was one the reasons I applied to CSU. I think I found a person who worked on prions, whether it was testing animals to see if they were positive or trying to develop new diagnostic techniques I can't really remember, but I thought it would have been cool to try to work with them since they're right in the area. Plus, I think a herd in Ft. Collins is where CWD was first found. Could be wrong though.

I just googled CWD in recent news and sure enough Wisconsin is announcing tonight that they are going to try and collect 300 tissue samples to test for CWD because they saw the disease jump 100 miles.

The dept. of wildlife in OK recruited vet students to take obex samples from deer at hunting check stations around the state last year. They usually do it every year (and you got paid like $200 for 2 days of work) but I never saw the sign ups for it this year. It was really fun to talk to the hunters about it.

The problem with things like this though is how the media and laymen blow them way out of proportion.

Do I really need to remind everyone to play nice in here? :(

Please, play nice. I like our community here (it's very supportive) and I think a couple of bouts of drama every now and then are expected with any social group.

Dropped salsa on my favorite shirt. Used stain remover (Shout) on it - stain remover took out salsa stain, but left larger stain on shirt. Used sample of Wisk I had (usually use Tide) because of its "stain technology." Now my once gray shirt is half orange... and the freakin stain is still there. Can I say FML?!?!?

Dropped salsa on my favorite shirt. Used stain remover (Shout) on it - stain remover took out salsa stain, but left larger stain on shirt. Used sample of Wisk I had (usually use Tide) because of its "stain technology." Now my once gray shirt is half orange... and the freakin stain is still there. Can I say FML?!?!?

That sucks! When ever I eat pasta and am wearing white (why I would do this I don't know) I always get a splatter.

My rant? My tongue hurts and it is not from the once drilled hole (my dentist horror story from the beginning of this month) on the bottom (which has healed decently, just a white line). I swear it is from sweet and sour pork (more sour than sweet) from last week. I can see where taste buds are irritated. It hurts to swallow. Why does my tongue hate me?

I've had a terrible headache since yesterday morning. I went to pick something up from the floor and my bf accidentally hit me with his elbow on the side of the head. It hasn't really gone away since then. Getting better a bit and coming back full force every few hours. I took some Ibuprofen, which didn't help at all, but made me really tired. Now I have the hardest time to stay up to write this paper.. I'm going to bed in an hour though. Trying to do as much as possible before then, but no point in forcing myself through this..

That totally sucks! This stuff happens to me a lot! Let me guess it's been your favorite for a while so no chance of replacing it?

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
That totally sucks! This stuff happens to me a lot! Let me guess it's been your favorite for a while so no chance of replacing it?

Well of course, that is how it goes. I got it several years ago in Asheville, NC on a girl's trip. It is made by Alternative Earth, and they don't make it anymore.

(But my bf just handed me his credit card and told me to buy something to replace it... the shirt was $50 and I just can't afford to spend that kind of money on clothes right now. He's the best!:love:)

Last edited:
Well of course, that is how it goes. I got it several years ago in Asheville, NC on a girl's trip. It is made by Alternative Earth, and they don't make it anymore.

(But my bf just handed me his credit card and told me to buy something to replace it... the shirt was $50 and I just can't afford to spend that kind of money on clothes right now. He's the best!:love:)

That's lovely of him. :) I'm jealous lol

I've had a terrible headache since yesterday morning. I went to pick something up from the floor and my bf accidentally hit me with his elbow on the side of the head. It hasn't really gone away since then. Getting better a bit and coming back full force every few hours. I took some Ibuprofen, which didn't help at all, but made me really tired. Now I have the hardest time to stay up to write this paper.. I'm going to bed in an hour though. Trying to do as much as possible before then, but no point in forcing myself through this..

Yikes that worries me for you!

Yikes that worries me for you!

It's getting a bit better again. It feels like there are waves of it every once in a while. It's almost gone now, so I'm thinking about going to bed, so I can try to fall asleep while it's gone..

I got the intro to my paper done, which is all I really wanted. I struggle the most with that, because I have so much trouble writing the rest without it. I focus too much on the beginning.

It's getting a bit better again. It feels like there are waves of it every once in a while. It's almost gone now, so I'm thinking about going to bed, so I can try to fall asleep while it's gone..

Are your pupils reacting normally??!?!!!?!!?!!

Ok I kid but you could have a concussion

So I ripped off the band-aid and told my parents that I got into vet school and...they aren't happy. At all. In fact, I think my mom is angry or pissy about it. My dad is at least making an effort to try to sound happy about it and said congratulations (unlike my mother, who said nothing), but he is depressed and sulking. I told them a week ago and they are still POUTING AND SULKING! GAH! WTF?!? :mad:

So I ripped off the band-aid and told my parents that I got into vet school and...they aren't happy. At all. In fact, I think my mom is angry or pissy about it. My dad is at least making an effort to try to sound happy about it and said congratulations (unlike my mother, who said nothing), but he is depressed and sulking. I told them a week ago and they are still POUTING AND SULKING! GAH! WTF?!? :mad:

My parents will adopt you and become excited for you! I am *so* sorry that the 2 people that should be your biggest fans aren't over the moon for you.

Are your pupils reacting normally??!?!!!?!!?!!

Ok I kid but you could have a concussion

Everything else is fine. It really feels like a normal headache to me, which I sometimes get from lack of sleep. I haven't been getting enough sleep and am really exhausted.

That really sucks. I'm so sorry. They should be shouting it from the rooftops!!!

You're sure it's not sold anymore? I have a friend from the area who is going home in like a week and I could send her on a mission. :laugh:

What I don't get, Marsala, is what they expect of you. Did they only want you to go to pursue?? You tried that. It was a no go. Do they want you to waste your life getting into only one school?? California is awesome! I just don't get it. Do they wish you were becoming a physician??

Why are they being such butts!? Even my other aunt who doesn't love animals is "happy" for me.

I'm sorry Marsala. *hugs*

What's the issue? Unless they have to pay for it, they should at least pipe down and fake some enthusiasm.

We have the same crap going on in my family, although the reasons are probably different. Ever since I went back to school chasing the vet thing, there's been an ugly undercurrent of animosity in my immediate family. They think I'm too old, and I should just take a job and go to work. Mostly just sit down and shut the f*ck up. A lot of it seems to revolve around the impression they have that I'm overstepping and trying to be something I have no business being. We don't have any doctors in the family, and not a whole lot of degrees of any variety.

So every family gathering is a nasty mix of passive aggressive jokes and sh*tty snide comments. Fun times.

Half of my motivation these days is just making them eat their words.

david-lachapelle-drunk-family-9.jpg

Marsala, that really sucks. I am sorry they aren't happy for you.

I am happy for you. Yay Marsala!

That is insane! I don't understand why they can't be genuinely happy for you! Just remember that your SDN family is very proud and happy for you. You're going to be an amazing vet! :)

My brother asked me to read through his paper. I wanted to go to bed an hour ago. Finally going now. Ugh.

:mad::mad::mad:

Do I need to make you another cake with balloons?!

balloonscake3.jpg

Seriously, I truly am dumbfounded at their reaction. :mad:

I had a very similar motivation. Nothing worse than family gatherings..."Oh you want to be a vet?" *awkward pause "That's nice dear..." *insert condescending shoulder pat and sympathetic glance towards my dad. I really hope things work out for you Dsmoody.

One of the things I'm dreading most about re-applying is the cost. :(

Crud! I let it slip my mind that it costs to apply! Honestly, I have totally forgotten that I need to be saving money. I need to get on top of that.

:D Well... uh... glad I could help!!

You actually did though! I am more focused on what I need to better myself on and this trip I am taking soon. My money saving has been more towards my trip and GRE

One of the things I'm dreading most about re-applying is the cost. :(

I had, no joke, $18 left in my american bank account after applications last year due to a bad combination of delayed financial aid and study abroad costs. Definitely make sure you have enough! And remember supplemental applications!

Emiloo, you make the best cakes with balloons!

I think they would be really happy if I got a 9-5; married a nice, clean-cut guy who would support me; lived within a half-hour drive of them; and started popping out grandkids. Unfortunately, these items are not included in my current plans. (disclaimer: I have nothing against clean-cut guys)

They have paid for nothing, yet they feel that they can sit around and complain about every decision I make. They complained about the master's degree, and complained about the PhD program. Always asking when I will be done and "get on with my life" and get a job. I try to be understanding of their thought process, but really, it is just soul-sucking.

I think what bothers me the most is their reluctance to venture outside of their comfort zones. I told them that there are all kinds of parks and places to go in CA (if they were to come and visit), and while I think my dad is slightly interested, my mom is not. Things have always revolved around what she wants (and her fears). She is afraid of planes, boats, crowds, insects, mountains,...the list is endless.

I really do appreciate the support of all the SDNers. You guys are fantastic! Thank you. :love:

My rant is I sliced open my finger on a coca cola bottle. A PLASTIC bottle! Geez! First my tongue hurts and now a hurt finger. I should go to bed.

I think what bothers me the most is their reluctance to venture outside of their comfort zones. I told them that there are all kinds of parks and places to go in CA (if they were to come and visit), and while I think my dad is slightly interested, my mom is not. Things have always revolved around what she wants (and her fears). She is afraid of planes, boats, crowds, insects, mountains,...the list is endless.

I have relatives like this, and I'm so happy for you that you're breaking that cycle. My cousins are basically priming themselves to be repeats of their parents who are the same exact way. Funny thing - I used to be a bit jealous because they were pretty spoiled, but now in retrospect I see that I was really the lucky one for having a single parent who let me go out into the world and screw things up on my own without passing judgment.

I woke up this morning and my eye is all swollen and red. I think something bit me in my sleep. :( Now I get to go to school looking like Quasimodo.

Dear loud Scottish men on the scaffolding right outside my window,

You are making studying for finals very difficult. I also find it creepy to think if I forget to close my curtains at night, you will be able to see me sleeping. Please go away and come back after May 16th.

Sincerely,

SnS

Dear loud Scottish men on the scaffolding right outside my window,

You are making studying for finals very difficult. I also find it creepy to think if I forget to close my curtains at night, you will be able to see me sleeping. Please go away and come back after May 16th.

Sincerely,

SnS
Invite them in:eek:

When I lived in Brentwood, the guy living in the building across the alley used to stand outside shirtless talking so LOUDLY on his phone on his balcony for hours at a time.

It was so annoying. So desperate to be noticed. Pathetic.

Lol I don't think they are trying to be noticed...they're just being Scottish.

Also, one just waved at me. Awks.