RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On a side note, does anyone know why my picture doesn't show? I tried the image attachment button, but it just gave one of those error-looking images...you know the little square with the random shapes inside?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, my tooth feels weird where I bit it but otherwise fine. And I immediately threw it out!

On a side note, does anyone know why my picture doesn't show? I tried the image attachment button, but it just gave one of those error-looking images...you know the little square with the random shapes inside?
I looked at your picture, but I followed the link to a photo sharing website. I didn't look at any of your other pictures, I swear;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn little bengal kitten insists on being fed constantly. She's 4 weeks old, so I should be able to feed her 4 times a day if not 3 no problem. But no! She insists on being fed every 3 hours. I'm not feeling well at all today so I was trying to take a nap and she spent a half hour screaming on and off before I caved and got up and fed her. But she's so cute it makes up for her occasional annoyingness. :love::love::love:

Work related rant.

I work PT at my local humane society as a veterinary assistant and I like it, although I do think the place could be run a bit better, but that's not the vet's fault. Anywho, on days that I work in surgery, we've been getting done like 1-2 hours early lately. I usually will go down and help out with appointments on these days but lately it seems to always be falling when they're on lunch break or it's not super busy. Plus, we have a an intern practically every day that comes in to help out as well. No problem with the interns because I was one of them earlier in the year. My issue is when I'm being sent home because there are too many bodies but I'm the employee. Yes, I understand it being crowded, but I'm also the employee and when I'm only making $8 an hour, I want my money. Today I was supposed to help with shelter animal vet checks but was told to go home and didn't really have an excuse since the veterinarian I was supposed to do them with was finishing up charts from the other day and giving a tour to another intern who is starting in the summer. Might start working on the kennel side as well, but I'm sure I'll be getting paid the same.

I don't even know how this happened but here goes:

I was eating pasta with some red pepper flakes in it for lunch and managed to get a large piece wedged between my molar tooth and gum. NBD right? WRONG! I pulled it out and now have, literally, a sizable tear in my gum and part of it has separated from my tooth. WHY??? What did I ever do to a red pepper flake to deserve this kind of pain???

I'm hoping the Ibuprofen will help me out some...

I don't even know how this happened but here goes:

I was eating pasta with some red pepper flakes in it for lunch and managed to get a large piece wedged between my molar tooth and gum. NBD right? WRONG! I pulled it out and now have, literally, a sizable tear in my gum and part of it has separated from my tooth. WHY??? What did I ever do to a red pepper flake to deserve this kind of pain???

I'm hoping the Ibuprofen will help me out some...
Yeeks:eek: This is not your day.

41 one my latest orgo II exam. Apparently there were 30 points of out 125 that 90% of us didn't get right and the prof "didn't understand why". And yet he doesn't see a problem with his exams... Just feel so defeated right now. I know every freaking equation, mechanism, reagent and still can't even pass. I'm generally not one to complain about professors, but seriously, this guy really stinks. Second semester in a row I've had him, and neither time has he given us the university required professor evaluation sheet to fill out...

Damn little bengal kitten insists on being fed constantly. She's 4 weeks old, so I should be able to feed her 4 times a day if not 3 no problem. But no! She insists on being fed every 3 hours. I'm not feeling well at all today so I was trying to take a nap and she spent a half hour screaming on and off before I caved and got up and fed her. But she's so cute it makes up for her occasional annoyingness. :love::love::love:

Picture!

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

So I'm thinking about getting a tattoo. I have wanted one for awhile now and decided that I wanted the aesculpius. I did a search of veterinarian tattoos to try to get a better idea of what I wanted and came across this picture
images

There were several more pictures of hairless cats and even some pigs with really intricate tattoos. I don't like it. It really rubs me the wrong way. Something like this had to have taken some time. I feel like tattooing should be for medical purposes like marking spay scars or identification purposes. I was wondering what other people thought of this and the ethics surrounding it. So what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm thinking about getting a tattoo. I have wanted one for awhile now and decided that I wanted the aesculpius. I did a search of veterinarian tattoos to try to get a better idea of what I wanted and came across this picture
images

There were several more pictures of hairless cats and even some pigs with really intricate tattoos. I don't like it. It really rubs me the wrong way. Something like this had to have taken some time. I feel like tattooing should be for medical purposes like marking spay scars or identification purposes. I was wondering what other people thought of this and the ethics surrounding it. So what do you guys think?

Totally don't agree with it. But apparently it is pretty popular in Russia.

Totally don't agree with it. But apparently it is pretty popular in Russia.
I meant to add that your tattoo came up in my search. I clicked on it and it brought me to this thread and a post you made about stepping on an ant hill. You took a pic of your feet.

images

I have HUGE issues with anyone who does this or has this done to their pet. Don't even get me started, I'll get all fired up before bedtime! :rolleyes:

images

Poor kitty :( must have hurt

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

images

I have to imagine this is done under heavy sedation or anesthesia - I have a huge problem with risking your animal's health for purely cosmetic, painful procedures.

Not cool! :mad: It is unnecessary pain the animal had to go through for cosmetic purposes. I have no issues with a simple tattoo for ID purposes (a # or whatever), but that elaborate tattoo crosses the line.

Totally agree with you all. I'm alright with tattoos for identification purposes and we just bought tattoo ink to start using on shelter animals because our one vet does his spays through ridiculously tiny incisions, so we figured it be good to start using since it's kitten season and those scars will probably be extremely difficult to find later on.

I haven't seen anything like this at work thankfully. Although apparently people have brought in dogs with pierced ears...

There's a video of that guy giving the kitty the tattoo somewhere on teh interwebs. The cat is under general anesthesia, which I think is stupid for a purely cosmetic procedure. That said, it IS pretty popular in Russia, and said tattoo guy has a giant tattoo of his kitty on his chest, so I bet kitty is otherwise well taken care of. I just don't know how you keep the kitty from licking it until it heals...e-collar? If that's the case, it seems especially cruel.

As for people tattoos, I love them. Husband is pretty heavily tattooed and I have 6 and am working on a half sleeve right now. Society has come a pretty long way when it comes to tattoos. Just don't get a neck tattoo. Unless you're in prison, then get a kick ass neck tattoo.

Totally agree with you all. I'm alright with tattoos for identification purposes and we just bought tattoo ink to start using on shelter animals because our one vet does his spays through ridiculously tiny incisions, so we figured it be good to start using since it's kitten season and those scars will probably be extremely difficult to find later on.

I haven't seen anything like this at work thankfully. Although apparently people have brought in dogs with pierced ears...

I agree! I cannot believe someone would do that too their cat!!!! I understand the whole shelter tattoo just to make sure its obvious, but I am not really jazzed that they did it to my dog. I had her for a month and took her last week for her spay (parvo risk at the time so they didn't want to take her into their surgery area when she was first there) and they didn't tell me they were going to put a smiley face tattoo on her belly. I completely get the point of it as they pre-spay and neuter animals before adoption, but I already adopted her and had her for awhile! She's microchipped with all her info online. She doesn't need the weird little face on her belly and she doesn't even grow hair there. I know I shouldn't care, but man they could've told me they were going to do it.

But back to the main topic, anyone who tattoos their animals for their own pleasure is just wrong!!!

I agree! I cannot believe someone would do that too their cat!!!! I understand the whole shelter tattoo just to make sure its obvious, but I am not really jazzed that they did it to my dog. I had her for a month and took her last week for her spay (parvo risk at the time so they didn't want to take her into their surgery area when she was first there) and they didn't tell me they were going to put a smiley face tattoo on her belly. I completely get the point of it as they pre-spay and neuter animals before adoption, but I already adopted her and had her for awhile! She's microchipped with all her info online. She doesn't need the weird little face on her belly and she doesn't even grow hair there. I know I shouldn't care, but man they could've told me they were going to do it.

But back to the main topic, anyone who tattoos their animals for their own pleasure is just wrong!!!

Okay, a smiley face is a little weird. We just put a little green dot next to the incision.

Okay, a smiley face is a little weird. We just put a little green dot next to the incision.

Yeah a smiley is weird for sure. We just put an S...

WHAT??

There's a difference between a small indicator that an animal has been altered and a SMILEY FACE.

This actually pisses me off more than the dude tattooing his kitty, especially since you weren't told about it beforehand. It just seems like somebody wanted to have a little fun with the tattoo needle.

I bet it wasn't even drawn well. Grrr!

I guess this may be my ignorance showing, but there seriously isn't a standard identifier for these kind of things?

I guess this may be my ignorance showing, but there seriously isn't a standard identifier for these kind of things?

Mine has a ♀ on her lower belly. And it's really crooked. It makes me crazy lol.

The shelter I worked at made a circle with a line through it. Jeez, I had no idea there were so many different ways of doing it. Kinda defeats the purpose.

For TNR programs, it is standard to clip the left ear. This makes the animal able to be identified as sterile at a distance. Obviously this isn't desirable in pets/adoptable animals. There is not a standard for client owned/shelter animals. A lot don't do tattooing at all.

The shelter I worked at made a circle with a line through it. Jeez, I had no idea there were so many different ways of doing it. Kinda defeats the purpose.
I don't think it defeats the purpose. In general, any tattoo in the area of a spay incision should indicate that the animal has been spayed.

I don't think it defeats the purpose. In general, any tattoo in the area of a spay incision should indicate that the animal has been spayed.

Also I guess I don't see the big deal about a smiley face vs a dot or whatever, assuming it isn't like, a gigantic one that takes up half of the dog's abdomen...

My dog has a HUGE identification tattoo in her inguinal region that the breeder had done, apparently it's common for Canadian Kennel Club registered dogs?

iRbGo.jpg

Right after her spay + umbilical hernia repair (performed by a 4th year!).

Two of my three cats have ear tattoos as they were colony cats, too. I've done the ear tattoos before, it isn't really that big of a deal...

They tattoo 2 little dots in ferrets' ears. One to indicate neuter and the other to indicate descenting. I think that is totally acceptable. 2 little dots. But to do a huge design?1?! Ridiculous! And to tattoo someone's dog without even telling them?!?! Sheesh...

I guess my big problem is that you weren't told about the smiley face. That would make me crazy (mostly because I couldn't imagine having to look at a poorly drawn smiley every time I have one of my babies a belly rub!).

I was going to comment that my dog wasn't tattooed when HE was done at the vet school through the shelter.
And then I realized that I'm an idiot.

I think it's past my bedtime.

In other news- ID tattoos good. Spay tattoos good. Other tattoos bad.

I was going to comment that my dog wasn't tattooed when HE was done at the vet school through the shelter.
And then I realized that I'm an idiot.

I think it's past my bedtime.

In other news- ID tattoos good. Spay tattoos good. Other tattoos bad.

:laugh:

This is true. I should clarify as my statement was very vague. I was just thinking about how people are tattooing their animals (which I had no idea that people did!) so now people could argue their tattoo is proof of a spay. I would hope that if people are paying for something like cosmetic tattoos that they would be willing to pay for a spay too. :\

This is true. I should clarify as my statement was very vague. I was just thinking about how people are tattooing their animals (which I had no idea that people did!) so now people could argue their tattoo is proof of a spay. I would hope that if people are paying for something like cosmetic tattoos that they would be willing to pay for a spay too. :\
Yeah but that would "deprive them of their right to reproduce!!1!!11!!!" Yeah, heard this one.... :wtf:

I applied for a $2,500 scholarship from my UG this quarter because for once, the scholarship criteria allowed for Seniors to apply. Sweet, I can actually apply! urgh. I got a call from the scholarship committee asking if I was graduating this year. Umm yeah, I selected that option on the app. That's what seniors do right? I then was told I would have won the scholarship if I wasn't. Before hanging up the woman says cheerfully, "You should have applied last year!" Gee thank captain hindsight. Oh well. Nice to know they liked my application I guess.

I applied for a $2,500 scholarship from my UG this quarter because for once, the scholarship criteria allowed for Seniors to apply. Sweet, I can actually apply! urgh. I got a call from the scholarship committee asking if I was graduating this year. Umm yeah, I selected that option on the app. That's what seniors do right? I then was told I would have won the scholarship if I wasn't. Before hanging up the woman says cheerfully, "You should have applied last year!" Gee thank captain hindsight. Oh well. Nice to know they liked my application I guess.

Did you say anything about seniors being able to apply? What did she answer to that? That really sucks. I'm sorry! :(

Yeah but that would "deprive them of their right to reproduce!!1!!11!!!" Yeah, heard this one.... :wtf:
I know right? A load of crock. I hate seeing issues like pyometras at work that could be prevented by spaying. I'm sure people aren't really going to go through the trouble of getting their dog tattooed to avoid a spay though. Way too much effort I would think.

Did you say anything about seniors being able to apply? What did she answer to that? That really sucks. I'm sorry! :(
Thanks PetPony. She said seniors are allowed to apply, as long as they aren't graduating. Of course it didn't say that in the criteria but life goes on. I applied to some scholarships at Edinburgh and hopefully they like my applications too. They were pretty similar. :xf:

Thanks PetPony. She said seniors are allowed to apply, as long as they aren't graduating. Of course it didn't say that in the criteria but life goes on. I applied to some scholarships at Edinburgh and hopefully they like my applications too. They were pretty similar. :xf:

That's still annoying and not fair. But I wish you luck with the other ones! :luck:

Love these pre-exam nights where I study at home ... then move to Starbucks ... then move to Perkins ... then try to get home in time to catch 3 or 4 hours of sleep ... knowing I'll be sleeping through pretty much all the lectures after the exam ... just to try and stay awake to drive to the clinic in the afternoon and put on my "alert" face ...

Ok. Done grousing. Back to studying.

Love these pre-exam nights where I study at home ... then move to Starbucks ... then move to Perkins ... then try to get home in time to catch 3 or 4 hours of sleep ... knowing I'll be sleeping through pretty much all the lectures after the exam ... just to try and stay awake to drive to the clinic in the afternoon and put on my "alert" face ...

Ok. Done grousing. Back to studying.
You can do it!!!

BKT I am sorry about that dumb scholarship board. I hate how red tape gets in the way sometimes and no one can ever seem to explain it:mad:. It sounds like you have a great shot for the Edinburgh ones though!

I feel like I have no direction. WTF do I do with myself for the next year?!?

Anything you want! Though improving apps if you need to re-apply is always a good place to start. I know how much it sucks though.

My rant: I fell asleep next to the bf at like 7:30. It is now 12:30am and I am just starting on the paper I have due at 8am. At least I am limited to 2 pages.

Ugh. Speech write up done, 2.75 pages. How do you write a 6 paragraph essay in 2 pages double spaced? I got a note on my last one that it was too long, so I cut a page out of this one, but any more feels like I stripped all of me out of it. Aiyah.

I guess my big problem is that you weren't told about the smiley face. That would make me crazy (mostly because I couldn't imagine having to look at a poorly drawn smiley every time I have one of my babies a belly rub!).

I know, my biggest thing was that I wasn't told. And I completely understand about the usefulness of tattoos to identify spays, but I just don't like the smily face!