RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We lost my grandfather last night :( So heartbroken. I was really encouraging my family to pursue an autopsy since the COD is largely unknown, but we are Jewish and it's not generally accepted as something that is done. Also, it's important to bury him as soon as possible according to tradition. Selfishly, I also wanted to see if he really did have CJD since there is a familial form of the disease. :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:
I am so sorry. Hang in there!

I was going to complain about my four finals this week, our move next week, and trying to finish up my VMCAS application, but now I just feel like a jerk.

Members don't see this ad.

One year ago tomorrow (or today where I am), I went out to lunch for my birthday - I was only gone for two hours and when I came home my dog was flat out then when he got to the hospital he went into status epilepticus. The next day, after a lot of thinking and visiting with him in the hospital for a couple hours I let him go. It was an extremely hard decision to make and I still have horrible guilt over it today. It still hurts like it was yesterday. He was my heart.

Then the very next day, my other dog who had been living in the states suddenly fell over and died - no warning. It was heartbreaking.

A few years prior my cat died throwing a blood clot, he had a heart condition. That was on August 8th.

My pets so far have died on Aug 6th, 7th, & 8th.... right after my b'day....

Celebrating my birthday will be like celebrating the day I lost my dog. And this whole week is a week of deaths.... it is damn depressing.

I know to most they are just animals, but they were special to me. And my dog Roc, well, he was the best thing since sliced bread, he was my heart, soul, my co-pilot, without him I still feel so very lost.

:( You always know I am around to talk if you need to.

One year ago tomorrow (or today where I am), I went out to lunch for my birthday - I was only gone for two hours and when I came home my dog was flat out then when he got to the hospital he went into status epilepticus. The next day, after a lot of thinking and visiting with him in the hospital for a couple hours I let him go. It was an extremely hard decision to make and I still have horrible guilt over it today. It still hurts like it was yesterday. He was my heart.

Then the very next day, my other dog who had been living in the states suddenly fell over and died - no warning. It was heartbreaking.

A few years prior my cat died throwing a blood clot, he had a heart condition. That was on August 8th.

Celebrating my birthday will be like celebrating the day I lost my dog. And this whole week is a week of deaths.... it is damn depressing.

I know to most they are just animals, but they were special to me. And my dog Roc, well, he was the best thing since sliced bread, he was my heart, soul, my co-pilot, without him I still feel so very lost.
oh devyn, the pain of losing one beloved animal is nearly unbearable, i can't imagine that of three stacked so closely in dates and years. Lucy died 2 days before my birthday last year, and the guilt and sadness still haunts me every day. you have my empathy and thoughts as you tackle these next few days - i hope your friends and family are there to support you as i hope mine will be for me in a couple of months

Members don't see this ad :)
:( You always know I am around to talk if you need to.

I do, but sometimes it is just not enough

oh devyn, the pain of losing one beloved animal is nearly unbearable, i can't imagine that of three stacked so closely in dates and years. Lucy died 2 days before my birthday last year, and the guilt and sadness still haunts me every day. you have my empathy and thoughts as you tackle these next few days - i hope your friends and family are there to support you as i hope mine will be for me in a couple of months

I remember your loss, and it is hard to deal with the guilt even though we really should not have it.... I could not leave my house during the day today in case something happened to my other dog (didn't want a replay), but I am going to go out for dinner.

:( I'm sorry. It's so hard to lose your best friend. He'd want you to be happy to celebrate though, I bet. ;)

I'm sorry devyn :(

I'm sorry, Devyn :(

Thanks guys...

I'm coming up on a year after deciding to let my old lady go. Ever since I saw you call Roc your "soul dog", I've thought of Ella that way. There were two cases in today that made me think of her (one with the same symptoms she'd had and the other was named Ella - who wound up getting euthanized, ugh) and I just wanted to leave. Sending good vibes your way.

I'm sorry, devyn. I still have nightmares about losing Libby and Genie, it's so difficult sometimes.

I remember your loss, and it is hard to deal with the guilt even though we really should not have it.... I could not leave my house during the day today in case something happened to my other dog (didn't want a replay), but I am going to go out for dinner.
i really want to bring Sampson everywhere with me. sometimes i do. the other night my dog did something really naughty and i was yelling at him. then later, i thought how sad it was that my patients are getting so much more of my time these days than the very dog i hold so dear to me. and that neglect probably drove lucy to be naughty which ultimately killed her...

I was super excited to pick up a bunch of extra shifts this August at both of my two part time jobs. At one of them I'm covering a bunch of shifts a full time employee took off for a few vacations. At the other they just added a bunch of projects, requiring more help.

I just found out yesterday, through random chance, that the girl I was covering for decided to not go on her vacations and took back all of her shifts, without anyone bothering to tell me or let me know! I made plans around working those shifts, not to mention really looking forward to the bigger paychecks. I could easily have shown up to work without anyone having told me, and that just really bothers me.

Now at the other job I was supposed to go in tonight and I got an email this morning saying not to bother.

So much for my busy + financially better August.

So much sadness on this thread. So very sorry for everyone's losses. :( I hope everyone can find some happiness in the upcoming rough patch.

My rant - Knee surgery round two will be happening sometime next week (scheduling tomorrow when the surgical asst. calls me) looks like I'll be back on crutches for the first couple weeks of school :(

So much sadness on this thread. So very sorry for everyone's losses. :( I hope everyone can find some happiness in the upcoming rough patch.

My rant - Knee surgery round two will be happening sometime next week (scheduling tomorrow when the surgical asst. calls me) looks like I'll be back on crutches for the first couple weeks of school :(
boo

My soul dog needs surgery, and it looks like it's going to happen just a day before her 7th birthday. The lump that feels like a lipoma looks nothing like one on cytology. :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at a loss. My little sister has had two of her friends commit suicide in the past two weeks. She struggles with depression herself, and I have no idea how to help her through this what I can only imagine to be an extremely difficult time for her. And it's not in the cards for me to be home this weekend, or any upcoming weekend for that matter.

I'm at a loss. My little sister has had two of her friends commit suicide in the past two weeks. She struggles with depression herself, and I have no idea how to help her through this what I can only imagine to be an extremely difficult time for her. And it's not in the cards for me to be home this weekend, or any upcoming weekend for that matter.
I'm so sorry Gwenevre. That is really tough.. is she still living at home with your parents? I would probably just make myself available to talk as much as possible. I experienced a kind of similar situation when I was in high school.. walked in on an attempt and had to call the police. Went through some counseling.. honestly, I'm not sure exactly what helped other than time. If you need to talk feel free to PM me.

She's at home, my parents are in Tennessee for their 15yr anniversary. Me and her two older brothers have insisted she call us anytime. Other than that I think she will be seeing her counselor and hopefully going to be with friends.

Im getting really aggravated with my surgeon and his office. I went in tuesday and we decided to go for surgery round 2 ASAP so that I can recover a bit before school starts. He told me his assistant would call me tomorrow ( which was yesterday) to get me on the schedule.. Now its 2 days later and we still haven't scheduled the procedure.. I know he is probably busy, but he is well aware of what a time crunch we are in to get this done. I also told him I need to let my boss know what is going on since I will be leaving my job 10 days early and they need to know how to schedule the week ahead- with or without me. Why couldnt we just pick a day when I was there? I mean after all, he is the one doing the surgery and surely he knows when his appts are and when he can fit me in by looking at his own darn schedule... Grr. Im just sick of hurting all the dang time. I want to be able to walk normally- without pain. Hell, Id love to be able to run and exercise and just have a normal life. Since March I have been dealing with knee issues and it is seriously wearing down on me. PT 4x a week during vet school sucks, crutches suck. I just want to crawl into a ball and cry.

I've decided not to apply to vet school this year and instead just focus on graduating, getting more vet experience, and getting a steady job until the next application cycle, but I'm REALLY struggling with the idea of telling my parents about my decision. They've put so much money into my education and supporting me while I've been away at school and I feel like telling them that I'm not applying this year will be like telling them I've wasted their money. I know that they care more about me than the money, but I just don't want to disappoint them. Plus I've been trying to get a job with local vets all summer and nothing has worked out, so I'm afraid that they will be skeptical about my ability to get a job under a vet after graduating (I myself am skeptical about being able to find a job
C:\Users\Tiarra\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
) and think I'm just wasting my time. I don't want to feel like I'm letting them down and I don't want them to feel like I'm just mooching off of them or being irresponsible. I know I have to tell them, I just don't seem to be able to build up the courage to do so :(

I've decided not to apply to vet school this year and instead just focus on graduating, getting more vet experience, and getting a steady job until the next application cycle, but I'm REALLY struggling with the idea of telling my parents about my decision. They've put so much money into my education and supporting me while I've been away at school and I feel like telling them that I'm not applying this year will be like telling them I've wasted their money. I know that they care more about me than the money, but I just don't want to disappoint them. Plus I've been trying to get a job with local vets all summer and nothing has worked out, so I'm afraid that they will be skeptical about my ability to get a job under a vet after graduating (I myself am skeptical about being able to find a job
) and think I'm just wasting my time. I don't want to feel like I'm letting them down and I don't want them to feel like I'm just mooching off of them or being irresponsible. I know I have to tell them, I just don't seem to be able to build up the courage to do so :(

I would make an outline of the reasons why you decided not to apply and how you will benefit from a year off. Then sit them down and explain your decision. :) I'm sure they would appreciate the insight and going through things beforehand will help you gather your thoughts better.

As for the job....if you're having a tough time, maybe try working somewhere else and then volunteering/shadowing to get some experience and continue to apply for jobs as you do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Escalla. Draw up reasons why this is the best route for you. As far as a job goes, does your undergrad have a career counselor? They can be extremely beneficial (mine helped me find a job this summer).

I also agree with Escalla. It's a lot easier to start off volunteering/shadowing somewhere and let them see that you're eager, hard-working, responsible, etc., and then when a job opens up, they'll think of you. You can get a job in an unrelated field, or even somewhere animal-related other than a vet clinic, in the meantime if money is an issue. The job market is tough for both vet assistants/techs and vets, but that's because the field is becoming oversaturated, not a reflection on you as a person.

If your parents do feel like you're wasting their money, it might help to point out that the real waste would be applying when you know you don't have the experience to have a chance to get in anywhere, and would be sacrificing focus on your senior year grades (assuming that is how you feel, maybe I'm reading too much into your post). If they would be the ones paying for your application fees, GRE, traveling to interviews, etc., those costs add up quickly.

I applied last year when my grades and experience hours really weren't up to par, and I'm now taking a gap year by default rather than by choice, and applying again with a much more competitive app (although my stats still aren't great). On one hand I'm glad I applied last year because now I know how the whole process works (and I found SDN! :p), but from an objective standpoint it probably was a waste of my parents' money. They also supported me a lot though undergrad, but when I found out I wasn't going to vet school this year we were able to come to an arrangement where I'm now mostly financially independent. I don't know if that would be possible for you, but it's something to suggest to your parents that might make the news easier to take. Plus you've got a year to save up money, since you're not finding out in April that you'll be taking a gap year like I did!

Really scared I'm not going to make it through vet school this year. My chronic migraines have been horrendous since I was in a car accident in March (not my fault). I underwent stem cell therapy in June, got better for 2 days, awful for three weeks (could be due to my grandfather's illness and subsequent passing), then better for 4 days, now awful again. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm really worried about not being able to keep up with the school work and even moreso about surgery and sleep deprivation that comes with it (need to check on patients in the middle of the night, etc.). My mom is overly optimistic that I will just get better all of a sudden before school starts. I pretty much am living on my drugs at this point. I have three steps of rescue drugs, and I've gone to step two the last week and a half or so (haven't needed the narcotics, which I guess is a plus and slightly better than before the stem cell tx). My family had to cancel our vacation this summer (haven't been doing well in the heat), and I've basically been sitting on my butt like a bum all summer. Had to also cancel two externships I had scheduled, which I really wanted to do to make myself competitive for an internship. Life just freaking sucks right now. I'm really worried I'm going to have to drop out and live in my parents' basement for the rest of my life. I have never wanted to not start school as much as I am now. :( :( :(

Really scared I'm not going to make it through vet school this year. My chronic migraines have been horrendous since I was in a car accident in March (not my fault). I underwent stem cell therapy in June, got better for 2 days, awful for three weeks (could be due to my grandfather's illness and subsequent passing), then better for 4 days, now awful again. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm really worried about not being able to keep up with the school work and even moreso about surgery and sleep deprivation that comes with it (need to check on patients in the middle of the night, etc.). My mom is overly optimistic that I will just get better all of a sudden before school starts. I pretty much am living on my drugs at this point. I have three steps of rescue drugs, and I've gone to step two the last week and a half or so (haven't needed the narcotics, which I guess is a plus and slightly better than before the stem cell tx). My family had to cancel our vacation this summer (haven't been doing well in the heat), and I've basically been sitting on my butt like a bum all summer. Had to also cancel two externships I had scheduled, which I really wanted to do to make myself competitive for an internship. Life just freaking sucks right now. I'm really worried I'm going to have to drop out and live in my parents' basement for the rest of my life. I have never wanted to not start school as much as I am now. :( :( :(

This sounds so frustrating :( Have you talked to your school's office of academic affairs or equivalent department? I know our school is good about helping students out as much as possible - maybe they can help you brainstorm plans to deal with such a busy semester? Sending good vibes your way!

2 of my friends here have the chikungunya virus and it seems so awful...their joints hurt so bad that they have to walk at a snail's pace. I can't even imagine trying to study for finals feeling that way. One of the girls is actually postponing finals, heading to the states to see an infectious disease specialist, and then taking her finals the week before the next semester starts. I guess I'll be stocking up on bug repellant when I go home...sucks that we would all love to enjoy this beautiful island but we're all nervous to be outside.

Oh dear lord... I feel like death and we have our whiten coat ceremony today :(

2 of my friends here have the chikungunya virus and it seems so awful...their joints hurt so bad that they have to walk at a snail's pace. I can't even imagine trying to study for finals feeling that way. One of the girls is actually postponing finals, heading to the states to see an infectious disease specialist, and then taking her finals the week before the next semester starts. I guess I'll be stocking up on bug repellant when I go home...sucks that we would all love to enjoy this beautiful island but we're all nervous to be outside.

I've heard about that. Apparently there have been some cases in NJ but I think all had a recent history of travel. Didn't sound particularly fun.

My birthday's in less than an hour and my asshat ex sends me a text saying "God's not dead".

Normally, I would find such a thing innocuous. However, the reason why we broke up was because he went on a retreat and was all of the sudden offended at the fact I was agnostic and had the gall to talk down to me and suggest three random girls I didn't know come into my apartment and "disciple me in the word of Jesus".

So frustrated. I can't tell if he sent it intentionally before my birthday to screw with my head. But that's not right. :/

My birthday's in less than an hour and my asshat ex sends me a text saying "God's not dead".

Normally, I would find such a thing innocuous. However, the reason why we broke up was because he went on a retreat and was all of the sudden offended at the fact I was agnostic and had the gall to talk down to me and suggest three random girls I didn't know come into my apartment and "disciple me in the word of Jesus".

So frustrated. I can't tell if he sent it intentionally before my birthday to screw with my head. But that's not right. :/

Eww...just eww

But, Happy Birthday!!!!

My boyfriend of three years just broke up with me the day I'm leaving for Grenada because he doesn't want a long distance relationship right now. Can't wait to go sit on a plane by myself for hours and try not to cry all day! dingus.

My boyfriend of three years just broke up with me the day I'm leaving for Grenada because he doesn't want a long distance relationship right now. Can't wait to go sit on a plane by myself for hours and try not to cry all day! dingus.
Omg I can't even imagine...:( *hugs* You would think he would have expressed his concern a little sooner...

Reactions: 1 users
:( i'm so sorry. my bf did that when i went to grenada too, but he was nice enough to do it 3 days before college graduation when i was super sick with bronchitis. chin up, be sure to hang out with your classmates a ton and although it sucks that he wont be there to support you, you are about to make 100 new friends who will be there as you all go through these enormous changes together. lots of beach, exploring, and guess what, you're still going to be a veterinarian! :)

I am so very sorry that this happened to you. I'm sure you are hurting really bad but take this as a blessing in disguise. ( I know it sounds crazy) but You would rather this happen right now instead of the night before a big exam or in the middle of a hellish exam week. He should've done this weeks ago if he felt this way, but unfortunately he didn't have the balls to do it until today, and it sucks and your gonna hurt. But like jmo said- your going to meet a ton of new people, and be in a tropical location with lots of sun and beautiful beaches- enjoy it to the fullest! Keep your head up buddy.

Aw I'm sorry Ally :(

Just a few months ago I was in your exact situation, and it hurts worse than anything, but I promise there is a light to the end of that dark tunnel. As agonizing as it is it does get better, even if it feels like it never will. Try to keep your head up, and if you need to talk to anyone I'm just a PM away. *hugs*

I would make an outline of the reasons why you decided not to apply and how you will benefit from a year off. Then sit them down and explain your decision. :) I'm sure they would appreciate the insight and going through things beforehand will help you gather your thoughts better.

As for the job....if you're having a tough time, maybe try working somewhere else and then volunteering/shadowing to get some experience and continue to apply for jobs as you do it.

That's a great idea, thank you! None of the vet clinics around here that I've been to take volunteers (liability issues), but I will definitely look into shadowing. My plan is to get any job (non-vet related most likely) and continue volunteering at the animal shelter and zoo I've been volunteering with for the past year all while looking for chances to shadow/work with a vet.

I agree with Escalla. Draw up reasons why this is the best route for you. As far as a job goes, does your undergrad have a career counselor? They can be extremely beneficial (mine helped me find a job this summer).

My adviser has been really helpful with career counseling and letting me know about opportunities that become available at the local vet school that could count as vet experience (wildlife crew, large animal team, etc.) and one of my former professors has said she will keep an eye out for any job opportunities for me as well, so I'm hoping that something will come from that.

I also agree with Escalla. It's a lot easier to start off volunteering/shadowing somewhere and let them see that you're eager, hard-working, responsible, etc., and then when a job opens up, they'll think of you. You can get a job in an unrelated field, or even somewhere animal-related other than a vet clinic, in the meantime if money is an issue. The job market is tough for both vet assistants/techs and vets, but that's because the field is becoming oversaturated, not a reflection on you as a person.

If your parents do feel like you're wasting their money, it might help to point out that the real waste would be applying when you know you don't have the experience to have a chance to get in anywhere, and would be sacrificing focus on your senior year grades (assuming that is how you feel, maybe I'm reading too much into your post). If they would be the ones paying for your application fees, GRE, traveling to interviews, etc., those costs add up quickly.

I applied last year when my grades and experience hours really weren't up to par, and I'm now taking a gap year by default rather than by choice, and applying again with a much more competitive app (although my stats still aren't great). On one hand I'm glad I applied last year because now I know how the whole process works (and I found SDN! :p), but from an objective standpoint it probably was a waste of my parents' money. They also supported me a lot though undergrad, but when I found out I wasn't going to vet school this year we were able to come to an arrangement where I'm now mostly financially independent. I don't know if that would be possible for you, but it's something to suggest to your parents that might make the news easier to take. Plus you've got a year to save up money, since you're not finding out in April that you'll be taking a gap year like I did!

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I feel like explaining to them that it would just be a waste of money right now for me to apply is an important point to make, I'm just being a chicken when it comes to actually sitting them down and saying so :chicken: I am hoping that taking this year off and instead getting a full-time job will help me become mostly financially independent as well. Honestly, I love the idea of finally working and make my own money, so I really feel like this break will be a good thing, I just don't want to disappoint my parents. It's weird that I feel this way because my parents are incredibly laid back and have always been supportive and I doubt that they will react negatively. I'm just over-thinking it i suppose

I'm sorry :(. I'll never understand why some people decide to wait until the most horrible times to break up with their boyfriend/girlfriend, especially when it comes to long-term relationships where you are both obviously very emotionally invested into the relationship. I agree with jmo and kpowell, you have an amazing experience to look forward to where you'll meet tons of new people and eventually it will get better, even better than it was before. *virtual hug*

So sorry ally and conflag :( my heart goes out to both of you. Boys can be such cotton-headed ninnymuggins

we had a code come in on friday, and it felt like i was reliving the worst moments of my life all over again. i'm scared to go back to ER tomorrow. they sent me home i was such a wreck, and it took me almost 24 hours to calm down enough to be functional again

So my grandmother broke her pelvis in 2 places two weeks after my grandfather passed away. And my mom has a giant kidney stone. WTF, world? Anything else?

So my grandmother broke her pelvis in 2 places two weeks after my grandfather passed away. And my mom has a giant kidney stone. WTF, world? Anything else?

I'm sorry NStarz. I have been in a similar position recently, if you ever just want someone to vent to, my PM box is always open. Or FB messenger. :)

My minpin is now scared of me. Whatever smells I brought home from the operating room have him pinning his ears and running away from me. I can't shower for 3 more days, so that isn't an option. Its making me really sad because all I want is Mojo cuddles.

My minpin is now scared of me. Whatever smells I brought home from the operating room have him pinning his ears and running away from me. I can't shower for 3 more days, so that isn't an option. Its making me really sad because all I want is Mojo cuddles.

You can't shower for 3 more days? How come?

Just curious as to why you can't get wet until five days post-op?
I have no clue, but it might be something to do with it being a hip and standing in the shower right now would be really hard for me? So 5 days post op would give me enough time to get some strength to stand in a shower

I have no clue, but it might be something to do with it being a hip and standing in the shower right now would be really hard for me? So 5 days post op would give me enough time to get some strength to stand in a shower

Ohhhhh YOU had surgery! Haha I thought you performed surgery on an animal in school or something! Okay that makes way more sense :) Well I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Reactions: 1 users
Ohhhhh YOU had surgery! Haha I thought you performed surgery on an animal in school or something! Okay that makes way more sense :) Well I hope you have a speedy recovery!
Haha, yes, I had arthroscopic hip surgery Monday. :)

Thanks for the well wishes !