RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think bitching about the AVMA doing things that are actually within their power isn't productive, and I think people like to criticize without realizing that there isn't really a perfect answer to the problems the profession is facing. With how the US education system works, AVMA cannot just not accredit new schools that meet their standards. Since they can't stop the supply from increasing, they're emphasizing increasing demand for services. Do I think it's going to fix everything? Absolutely not. Have I also had really crappy experiences with some people from the AVMA? Absolutely - I still rankle when I remember our eboard meeting with their former VP last year.

But they're working with what they have, and I'd just like the people that just sit back and criticize to come up with better solutions to pass along.

Ok, I am not an idiot. I don't know if you think I am or not, but you come across that way to me a lot. Maybe I am just reading tone wrong though.

I was actually just discussing this in private with someone last night about how the AVMA has no control over if a college opens a vet school. I also understand that colleges that meet the requirements for accreditation have to be accredited. I understand that. I get there are laws about that.

However, the AVMA is accrediting schools currently that do NOT meet the requirement. I find it absurd that some schools that don't meet minimum requirements are accredited while other, older schools have probationary accreditation because old buildings are old and they are dinging those schools for that and forcing them to update buildings (which should be done). But the double standard is absurd and it is only because they are afraid of a law suit.

I can still criticize them with their current plan of trying to increase demand. Seriously, some one should have spoken up and said "are you effing kidding me?" years ago on that. It will NOT work in the economy currently and as NStarz stated it has been their "plan" for years...it is NOT working.

If I had some idea right now that I posted that would not work, people would criticize. Why should the AVMA be exempt from criticism? "But they are trying" is not a good answer to that.

They need to stick with their accreditation standards and start there to reduce the number of vet schools. They need to put their foot down so that way other universities think twice before opening a vet school. If all they do is roll over and say "ok" anytime a school threatens to sue then of course new schools will open left and right and who gives a damn if we have a vet hospital... western did it... we will just follow what they did. They are setting a bad example by not sticking to their accreditation policies. That is where they need to start.

They also need to try to address some of the loan amount and loan burdens. There was talk of them trying for that and then right after it was jumped to something else that they are prioritizing over students and the veterinary economy. Until the AVMA recognizes that this problem should be their number 1 concern, nothing good will come of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's the thing, though. They're accrediting schools that don't meet their accreditation standards (instead, they adjusted the accreditation standards to fit the schools under threat of a lawsuit). Not okay, IMO.

Ok, I am not an idiot. I don't know if you think I am or not, but you come across that way to me a lot. Maybe I am just reading tone wrong though.

I was actually just discussing this in private with someone last night about how the AVMA has no control over if a college opens a vet school. I also understand that colleges that meet the requirements for accreditation have to be accredited. I understand that. I get there are laws about that.

However, the AVMA is accrediting schools currently that do NOT meet the requirement. I find it absurd that some schools that don't meet minimum requirements are accredited while other, older schools have probationary accreditation because old buildings are old and they are dinging those schools for that and forcing them to update buildings (which should be done). But the double standard is absurd and it is only because they are afraid of a law suit.

I can still criticize them with their current plan of trying to increase demand. Seriously, some one should have spoken up and said "are you effing kidding me?" years ago on that. It will NOT work in the economy currently and as NStarz stated it has been their "plan" for years...it is NOT working.

If I had some idea right now that I posted that would not work, people would criticize. Why should the AVMA be exempt from criticism? "But they are trying" is not a good answer to that.

They need to stick with their accreditation standards and start there to reduce the number of vet schools. They need to put their foot down so that way other universities think twice before opening a vet school. If all they do is roll over and say "ok" anytime a school threatens to sue then of course new schools will open left and right and who gives a damn if we have a vet hospital... western did it... we will just follow what they did. They are setting a bad example by not sticking to their accreditation policies. That is where they need to start.

They also need to try to address some of the loan amount and loan burdens. There was talk of them trying for that and then right after it was jumped to something else that they are prioritizing over students and the veterinary economy. Until the AVMA recognizes that this problem should be their number 1 concern, nothing will good will come of it.

Absolutely not trying to say you (or anyone else) is an idiot. Tone's hard online - I apologize if it came off that way.

I agree that it would be optimum if we would stop having new schools. However, I sincerely doubt that the AVMA just "rolled over and said 'OK'" at the threat of a lawsuit - usually when a large entity like that backs down, it is because they're relatively certain that they would not win the suit. So if they didn't back down, went to court and lost, then the ripple effect could quite possibly be loss of ability to accredit at all. I personlly don't want that, as I think that having an organization that sets standards specific to the veterinary program is important. I also think that the way we teach is changing, and I've heard great things from Western grads about the school (just not the debt)- so I'm not absolutely set in the thought that a facility needs a teaching hospital to make good vets.

Anyone can criticize policies, sure, and I don't mean to say that you can't do that. But what makes it helpful criticism is when you follow up and actually present other possibilities and courses they could take - and I think that's actually really freaking hard in this situation. Which is why I think the "lol avma u suck" sort of criticism that gets thrown around is silly and called it out. We can agree to disagree, though.

Edit to add: I'm still debating if I'm going to be paying for AVMA membership when I graduate. I don't run their banner around or praise then extensively. I just think that we do need an organization that represents us as vets, there's not really a good option outside of the AVMA, and that there's not a magic bullet solution to the problems of the profession.

Last edited:
How is your eye?

Better, thanks for asking! I got a chemical corneal abrasion from the formalin. I spent about 4 hours in the ER and then 5 hours the next day at the Penn eye center. But as of my recheck yesterday, it's almost completely healed and there won't be any lasting damage. *phew*

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone can criticize policies, sure, and I don't mean to say that you can't do that. But what makes it helpful criticism is when you follow up and actually present other possibilities and courses they could take - and I think that's actually really freaking hard in this situation. Which is why I think the "lol avma u suck" sort of criticism that gets thrown around is silly and called it out. We can agree to disagree, though.

While I would agree that helpful criticism is much more useful, there reaches a point where what you hear is just so ridiculous there is not much to say other than express complete disbelief. I would have had more respect for a statement that encompasses what their limitations are, why they are unable to solve them as of yet, and an explanation of their plan to continue working on promoting the profession in the mean time while searching for solutions. Continuing to issue the same plan of promoting preventative care and presenting it as if this was some new, well-thought out solution to combat some of the largest issues we're facing today I find disingenuous and plenty worthy of criticism.

Today would be one of those days where I wish I had a rifle to go out and destroy some targets with.

I feel like I'm cracking under some self-imposed pressure. I should be better at this particular thing than what is being exhibited and know I am better, but it's heart-breaking to see that it's not coming across that way when I try so hard.

I cannot believe the childishness I am dealing with in a professional degree program. Making hand gestures behind someone in class is completely unacceptable and something an 8 year old would resort to. It has been a rough week...

Gunners. Seriously. I care a lot about grades and expect a lot of myself too, but the key difference is that I'm not constantly whining about a point or two. I'm so tired of the whining.

Yeah, that got really old. Our class would "protest" some question on a test, and I'd just roll my eyes and feel embarrassed. Just move on already.

It's kinda fun on rotations. I want A's, of course - who doesn't? But if I get a B (or hell, even a C, though that hasn't happened yet) I don't care. Whatever. As long as it's a passing grade, good 'nuff for me.

So when I was on a rotation recently that's notorious for the doc telling people at the beginning "Everyone gets a B. Live with it" ..... it's fun to see who gets all infuriated and who smiles with relief.

The doctor didn't seem to care..he just told me to come to my follow up and wait for the biopsies to come back.

I doubt it's that he didn't care. It's that he's smart enough to know there's no point in thinking about it until biopsy results come back. If you assume the best and something bad comes back - your client is pissed. If you assume the worst and something comes back good - your client is happy for them self but pissed at you for getting them all worked up.

Easiest to just do the biopsy, submit it, and wait to talk when the results are back.

I can't tell you how many clients I've had ask me "Well, what do you THINK it is?" right after I've done some aspirate of something and put it on a slide for pathology to read. You learn to shrug and give a noncommittal "my eyes aren't microscopes" kind of answer real quick.....

Absolutely not trying to say you (or anyone else) is an idiot. Tone's hard online - I apologize if it came off that way.

I agree that it would be optimum if we would stop having new schools. However, I sincerely doubt that the AVMA just "rolled over and said 'OK'" at the threat of a lawsuit - usually when a large entity like that backs down, it is because they're relatively certain that they would not win the suit. So if they didn't back down, went to court and lost, then the ripple effect could quite possibly be loss of ability to accredit at all. I personlly don't want that, as I think that having an organization that sets standards specific to the veterinary program is important. I also think that the way we teach is changing, and I've heard great things from Western grads about the school (just not the debt)- so I'm not absolutely set in the thought that a facility needs a teaching hospital to make good vets.

They re-phrased their standards to fit the particular school that was suing them. How is that not backing down? I am not even going to go into discussion on if there does or does not need to be a teaching hospital to make a good vet because that is besides the point. The AVMA re-phrasing their wording in order to accommodate one school for accreditation at the threat of a lawsuit screams issues to me. Seriously. We can go back and forth all day on if they should have changed that or not. If a teaching hospital is needed or not and so on. The AVMA believes it is necessary. Whether the school has their own facility or they send students to another facility with one (that is the current rule). And western BARELY follows that currently. Their students can go to other vet schools for some rotations or to private practices (this is how it was explained to me when I interviewed). Now I am not saying anyone from western is bad or anything. I have heard great things about the students coming out of western, but according to CURRENT AVMA COE requirements, from what I see, it is questionable for them having accreditation. And the ONLY thing that the AVMA really showed when dealing with western was basically a, "sure go ahead schools and do what you want, we will probably accredit it anyway." If they are going to set standards they NEED to be willing to stick to them even in the threat of a law suit. They NEED to have solid reasons why they have those requirements and they NEED to show how the school is not meeting them. If they can do all of that (which should not have been difficult back when western was trying to get accredited) then they would have no need to be afraid of a law suit. This is a recommendation for what NEEDS to happen. This is a recommendation for lowering the number of schools opening. Stick to their guns and don't change things for one particular school, because if you do, the others will see how easy it was and take advantage of the opportunity.

Guess what, "Lol, AVMA you suck." Sorry, I had to.. ;)

Let's be honest here though, why can't someone like me or you or any other vet student who at this point has ZERO control over what goes on in the AVMA, has ZERO say in what goes on (seriously, as students we have NO say) and is sitting at one of their lectures that they put on roll her eyes and go, "You are dense and this idea is stupid"? Why are you saying as a student I can't be fed up with some of their BS? I honestly don't think the AVMA believes this is an issue. I think they found "something" that they can "attempt" and present to students as a "solution" to appease the students. I am sure some students bought it as well. I didn't. I am not dense enough to sit there and go, "Oh yeah, increasing demand in a debilitated economy, BRILLIANT idea!" "Good job" "High five for you!" The first part of criticism is to sometimes point out how ridiculous something is and how ridiculous it sounds prior to actually thinking of what might work.

It would be like someone suggesting cerclage wire for a really complicated fracture. Your first response will be, "WTF? Are you stupid?" Then after some thought you might come up with an idea that would work. But dumb ideas ALWAYS deserve a "wtf are you serious right now" response. And the AVMA trying to drive demand in a ****ty economy is one of those times that response is needed. Do you think this is a good idea to "solve" this issue of too many vets and high student debt? I mean, really, do you?

Not only that, but as students we have ZERO say in anything. We also don't have the access to resources that those working at the AVMA do. They know what can and can't be done. They are being PAID to do this, this is their job. I am allowed to say this is the dumbest idea I have ever heard of and not only that but it is NOT working. They have been doing this for years and it is NOT working. Someone needs to point it out to them because it is clear they aren't getting it themselves. And then they can go and figure out what can be done using all the resources that THEY have that we, as students, don't have access to. They can go back and do the job they are making money to do.

I honestly have yet to see anything out of that agency that makes me think they believe this is an issue or that they even care to resolve the issue. As the guy stated in the meeting, they have other priorities they are working on that take precedence. Basically, we aren't their top priority. The future of vet med isn't their top priority. And that is sad.

I also agree with you that I do think we need an agency working for veterinary medicine. I think it is important. But I don't think they are taking the oversaturation of vets seriously. I don't think they are taking the massive amount of debt seriously. I really think these are low priorities to them and I am not convinced that they even see these as issues and are only doing minor things to attempt to appease students. Basically I think they can be doing much more and seeing as I am just a student with no access to the resources they have; I am going to ask them to get their act together and do their job. Come up with a better solution, one that isn't destined for failure from the start. Much like the US government needs to do. And no I don't believe there is a magic bullet solution to the problems, but I think recognition from the AVMA that their current idea to "solve" the issue is not working and will not work would make a very good starting point to maybe finding a real solution. One that makes sense in the current economy we have right now.

I think @Caia said it best. Sometimes the things you hear are just so absurd you have to headdesk. As a vet student being told that this is the big "solution" to the problems in vet med from our "leaders". It doesn't give me much faith in them, at all (which is why I ranted in the first place). It makes me wonder if they are really thinking or if they are just blowing some smoke out their ass and hoping it might work or at the very least appease some vet students who don't realize that their "solution" is just... I can't even. I think I have seen our government make better moves in the last few years compared to the AVMA's solution and that is saying a lot.

I doubt it's that he didn't care. It's that he's smart enough to know there's no point in thinking about it until biopsy results come back. If you assume the best and something bad comes back - your client is pissed. If you assume the worst and something comes back good - your client is happy for them self but pissed at you for getting them all worked up.

Easiest to just do the biopsy, submit it, and wait to talk when the results are back.

I can't tell you how many clients I've had ask me "Well, what do you THINK it is?" right after I've done some aspirate of something and put it on a slide for pathology to read. You learn to shrug and give a noncommittal "my eyes aren't microscopes" kind of answer real quick.....

You're right. Thanks for that- never thought of it that way. He was a pretty nice guy and really seems to care. I was just a little worried when my boyfriend was like "OMG YOU'RE GOING TO GET CANCER" and the doctor just said "looks good, I'll call you in 2 weeks with the results".

Members don't see this ad :)
You're right. Thanks for that- never thought of it that way. He was a pretty nice guy and really seems to care. I was just a little worried when my boyfriend was like "OMG YOU'RE GOING TO GET CANCER" and the doctor just said "looks good, I'll call you in 2 weeks with the results".

Fingers crossed!

Saw a post advertising horses for sale on Facebook due to a bad situation. A lady comments and says she's looking for a broodmare... can't afford to buy but is there one she could take for free?

Um, what? You're going to take on a new horse, which will require money for appropriate care. You're going to pay stud fees to get a baby out of her. And you're going to have to pay vet care for her, the baby and the pregnancy and then pay to keep the baby since I assume you will somehow dump the dam not longer after weaning. Wtf is wrong with people.

Yesterday morning just sucked for me.

My sole objective was to drive one of my friends to the Greyhound bus station around an hour away. While I was driving, my display (I have an old car that tried to be futuristic and so it has an electrical display) completely freaked out, lighting up every light on the display, so I couldn't tell how fast I was going, or how much gas I had in my tank.

So I get there despite the GPS having the wrong directions, and we watched her bus leave the station. She had neglected to tell me that she had allotted no buffer time between us arriving and her actually getting on the bus.

She talks with one of the station workers and they tell her that the bus makes a stop at another station 30 minutes away. So, I told her that I'd drive there and see if we could catch the bus there. So I got back on the interstate, driving with my botched display, and we finally get to the other station.

She goes inside, and I lock my car since we're in a not-so-nice city. She was able to get on a different bus for the same destination, and she bid me farewell (though she gave me no gas money, which was promised to me and I was steamed about that).

I went back to my car and realized that I locked my keys inside the vehicle. They were in the ignition, though the car was still off. So I called the non-emergency police who told me that they didn't do that and that I needed to call a locksmith. I talk to my dad who tells me the insurance on my car that has roadside assistance, which should able to unlock the vehicle. I talk to them, and they tell me that I don't have such coverage but if I wanted them to come out to meet me, I could pay them $60. I call back my dad, freaking out somewhat at this point, which he then decides to call them back.

I was waiting outside for two hours before help came, and I was sworn at by at least 15 people for having my car stuck in a position that was inconvenient for their parking, I was approached by two police officers who essentially said "Good luck with that, we'll be inside" as if I would abandon my car in the city to find them, and at least two different women told me they tend to do this for work and refused to tell me who they worked for, and they weren't able to help me either.

So I woke up this morning with a farmer's tan and a really bad sunburn on my elbow, which is wildly inconvenient, and I haven't heard from the friend since.

Fell off a horse today and in the most inconvenient way. Painfully waiting to go in tomorrow to get an xray of my pelvis.. And that will determine whether I can finish my last year of eligibility. I haven't broken down yet but if I receive bad news tomorrow, I'm going to be a complete wreck. :( :cryi:

Forgot my laptop charger today. Shouldn't be a huge rant but man I never realized how much I rely on my laptop throughout the day, or how quickly the battery can drain! It's still alive, for now, but there are still 6 hours left in the day and it definitely won't last that long. Mini-rant, but still annoying.

I want more sleep....it's only Tuesday and I can feel myself getting grumpy already. :oldman:

edit: but I just reached 200 posts, so that is a-ok!

I want more sleep....it's only Tuesday and I can feel myself getting grumpy already. :oldman:

edit: but I just reached 200 posts, so that is a-ok!

I am permanently grumpy.... I blame vet school.

I-Had-Fun-Once-It-Was-Awful.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Meh. I think I'm getting sick and I have a take home test due tomorrow, a three year goal plan due Thursday, a 4-5 page paper due Monday and a test on Tuesday. I just want to sit in bed with tea and watch stuff on Netflix while cuddling my animals.

Oh and I have to look presentable for our class pictures this week.

Meh. I think I'm getting sick and I have a take home test due tomorrow, a three year goal plan due Thursday, a 4-5 page paper due Monday and a test on Tuesday. I just want to sit in bed with tea and watch stuff on Netflix while cuddling my animals.

Oh and I have to look presentable for our class pictures this week.
Class pictures?

Penn takes a class picture at the end of core, and then hangs it up in the hospital hallways. An OLD tradition.

Do you have grad pictures hung up on the wall of graduated classes too? Seems common enough.

We have a class composite done as well which is kept for the 4 years. Ughhhhh mine is terrible!

Do you have grad pictures hung up on the wall of graduated classes too? Seems common enough.

We have a class composite done as well which is kept for the 4 years. Ughhhhh mine is terrible!

Yup. Our's stay up for longer than four years though. I think there are still pictures up from the 80's right now.

ehhhh. I don't envy that...

this is why I'll be insanely neurotic for when grad pics are taken since they'll be up on the wall.

Yeah...luckily I could technically be done with class at 11 if I wanted to make sure I'm put together for it. Unfortunately it looks like it might be a bit rainy which means my hair will be angry and get all frizzy.

Canine influenza?
Don't know. He's from a puppy store and there is some suspicion that they messed up a tube feeding and caused an aspiration pneumonia :annoyed:. Not responding to any antibiotics though.

I am retiring after 20 years and they are scheduling me to work 12 hour mid shifts right up until the last day prior to my final out processing appointment. Is just a week prior on normal hours too much to ask?

Our first death in a few weeks. Puppy got into some rat poison and he made it long enough for the girlfriend of the owner to fly through the door to say good-bye. :(. A client waiting in the lobby was crying for the poor couple when I came to check her in. That's when I almost lost it.

I've been feeling sick all week and put off grocery shopping so I decided to order out. Well, I ordered like a ton of food, the most enticing being Japanese hibachi steak with fried rice. After it's delivered, I'm happily pulling out all of my little cartons and boxes, and then I get to my hibachi ..... plain white rice. :(

Frivolous complaint, maybe, but fried rice is so yummy.

One of the other techs at work is so condescending towards me sometimes, and it drives me crazy. Yes, I make mistakes sometimes, but so does everyone, including the doctors. She constantly acts like she knows better than everyone else. I'm always willing to listen to corrections and things I could improve upon, but talking to me like I'm a child is not going to help me become a better employee. :mad:

I am very fortunate in that my parents are able to help me out on most everything. Going to vet school wouldn't be possible without them.

But holy crap, I can't wait for the day when I have everything paid off and they no longer own my ass.

Reactions: 1 users
Just vacuuming my house, bent over to pick up the bath mats to clean in the bathroom, a sudden searing pain down my back and into my leg. Now I can barely walk and had stuff planned to do today. :(

Hoping the meds help soon it's awesome having back issues for the past 10 years.....

We're fine...but her pet didn't make it. :(

ETA: I realize my initial sentence makes it sound like something happened to us especially since I used the abbreviation for the vet hospital. Apologies for the confusion.
Sorry for her loss. That's never fun.

I live with a sibling. Most of the time he stays out of my way and doesn't cause much trouble... except where food is involved.

I left the apartment to go to class for around five hours last night and came back to find that he had eaten all but one of my chocolate chip cookies and had consumed a giant bag of tortilla chips as well as 2/3rd's of a rather large container of salsa (I'm guessing but it's close to a liter). I had just purchased all of this **** the night before and was expecting many days of nom-nommage.

Now I have to sit him down for a little chat, again, about not gorging himself on food I purchase for largely my own consumption.

You don't **** with a girl's comfort foods.

Reactions: 3 users
This is going to be semi-vague but UGH. I don't KNOW if I'm moving out but I have already promised you MULTIPLE TIMES that I will not leave you stuck with paying my half of the rent on the apartment we're leasing together! I KNOW you can't afford the place by yourself, I KNOW we'll have to find someone to take over my lease if I move, I'm SORRY if this is stressing you out but YOU are the one who has a problem with my dog and YOU are the one who is stressing out about having to pay the full rent DESPITE me telling you not to worry about it! I'm working on **** as fast as I can and I don't need your drama complicating things!

End rant.

This is going to be semi-vague but UGH. I don't KNOW if I'm moving out but I have already promised you MULTIPLE TIMES that I will not leave you stuck with paying my half of the rent on the apartment we're leasing together! I KNOW you can't afford the place by yourself, I KNOW we'll have to find someone to take over my lease if I move, I'm SORRY if this is stressing you out but YOU are the one who has a problem with my dog and YOU are the one who is stressing out about having to pay the full rent DESPITE me telling you not to worry about it! I'm working on **** as fast as I can and I don't need your drama complicating things!

End rant.
Ugh, I feel your pain. This past spring I was waiting to hear if I'd be heading to vet school in the fall or sticking around another year, and my roommate was a pain in my ass wanting to know what I'd be doing and if she'd need to find another roommate. And of course my IS is Mizzou, and they don't notify IS-ers of admissions decisions until late March. And then my rejection letter got lost in the mail. :annoyed: So it was like "I get that you want to know if you'll need to find a different roommate, and I promise I'll help you find someone if you do, but all this waiting is ten times more stressful on me!" And then I had to figure out if I'd be able to afford the apartment or if I'd have to move back in with my parents, and I had to give my cat back to my parents because my roommate decided she was bothering her asthma too much. :( Currently things are so tense with my roommate, I've pretty much decided I'm moving out when our lease is up regardless.

Sorry I kinda rambled about my own rant, but yeah, demanding roommates suck! I hope you get things figured out soon. :)