RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear Roomie (s),

Please stop feeding my dog extra treats just because. I have been 100% serious in asking you to stop because he is overweight with arthritis and an unofficially diagnosed luxating patella. No I do not think you offering him a jar of peanut butter in front of me is funny. It forces me to limit his treats elsewhere that I would use for training.

Sincerely,
Student who cares about her dog's overall health

If it were me, they wouldn't think it was funny because the peanut butter would be in the trash. I am a really nice person, but if I ask nicely a few times and you still ignore me, you aren't going to like what happens after that point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
If it were me, they wouldn't think it was funny because the peanut butter would be in the trash. I am a really nice person, but if I ask nicely a few times and you still ignore me, you aren't going to like what happens after that point.

I'm moving out in less than a month (can start moving my stuff over after the 25th) so it's not worth the trouble at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. Hope the next month isn't too bad.

It shouldn't be. I will admit it's improved from before (they often ask if he can have something now ) but when he's being used for a nutrition project to calculate his MER and all that, it's because I'm serious and would like to improve his health.

It shouldn't be. I will admit it's improved from before (they often ask if he can have something now ) but when he's being used for a nutrition project to calculate his MER and all that, it's because I'm serious and would like to improve his health.

Yeah. Are these roommates vet students?

It's frustrating when you've been working on fitness and good nutrition for yourself, and haven't seen too many results over a month, but your co-worker who started two weeks ago has already lost 10lbs. Sure, it might just be water weight, but it's a small downer nonetheless.

It's frustrating when you've been working on fitness and good nutrition for yourself, and haven't seen too many results over a month, but your co-worker who started two weeks ago has already lost 10lbs. Sure, it might just be water weight, but it's a small downer nonetheless.
i hear ya!! except i font have an annoying co-worker just lots of withering away to nothing classmates ;)

"Unfortunately, with the departure of the veterinary dentists, administration has been unable to identify an instructor for the small animal dental portion (1 lecture, part of one lab) of the Vet Imag I course. I have decided to convert the dental lecture and dental portion of the lab to cover materials related to the equine foot and equine miscellaneous disorders."

I'm sorry, what? So we're just going to skip dental imaging altogether and do MORE horse feet? Why don't you just give us that dedicated time to review the old recorded lectures on the actual subject we're supposed to be learning, that will probably be incredibly useful to a multitude of students instead of rehashing freaking horse feet again (no offense to horse lovers, but the last time I have to try to find a navicular bone on a radiograph cannot come soon enough)

"Unfortunately, with the departure of the veterinary dentists, administration has been unable to identify an instructor for the small animal dental portion (1 lecture, part of one lab) of the Vet Imag I course. I have decided to convert the dental lecture and dental portion of the lab to cover materials related to the equine foot and equine miscellaneous disorders."

I'm sorry, what? So we're just going to skip dental imaging altogether and do MORE horse feet? Why don't you just give us that dedicated time to review the old recorded lectures on the actual subject we're supposed to be learning, that will probably be incredibly useful to a multitude of students instead of rehashing freaking horse feet again (no offense to horse lovers, but the last time I have to try to find a navicular bone on a radiograph cannot come soon enough)

It's in the 547.3 degree Palmar dorsal medial dragon buccal caudal unicorn plantar cranial view

Reactions: 6 users

I feel like when you drop that much that quickly, the methods aren't the best and might not be sustainable in the long run. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like the people I know who lose a lot quickly, do a fad diet, lose it, but then it and some all comes back later on.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah. Well.

My dental rotation wasn't canceled because they found a locum to fill in....... but because they didn't find her until a few days before the rotation, they didn't schedule any appointments. We didn't even really meet the locum (other than briefly) until Tuesday because she was doing her OWN orientation all Monday. We saw three appointments (no procedures) the first entire week. The second week we got some more procedures, but very little. The GP students did more dentistry on that rotation than I did on my Dental rotation.

I was/am very upset. The school *completely* dropped the ball on that one. The locum was great. The techs are fantastic. But the school blew it BIG TIME ... and then what's worse (IMO) is they did zilch, nada, nothing to address it for us. They should have said "You know what? We messed up. How about you bring in your own animals and do dentals and we'll foot the bill." Or <something>. Instead they offered a huge discount for dentals .... which is great for the people in rotations AFTER mine.

Yeah. I'm still bitter. Thank goodness I had an offsite GP externship where they let me do a fair bit of dentistry. I definitely did NOT get my money's worth out of that rotation. On the one hand, I really think the schools owes us our money back. On the other, if they did that they probably wouldn't give us credit.... and I guess on the whole I'd rather have the credit and graduate.

But it was disappointing that they weren't proactive about saying "Hey, we messed up." Haven't they been teaching us in those 3 years of professional development to own up to mistakes and take initiative to correct it?

Don't fret the radiology stuff. By the time you get to dentistry they'll have things back in order and you'll get plenty of dental radiology experience then.

ETA: This was a pretty exceptional situation. Generally the rotation is really good, from what I've heard.

Wouldn't surprise me. By the time all the interest is added to mine over the next 25 years it will easily be more than $500K...

I have a friend who is in the same boat. It's just ridiculous and wrong. I heard an interview with Mark Cuban, who was saying that student loan debt was the next economic "bubble" crisis. He made a lot of sense.

omg, story of my life. I have to work so hard just to lose 5 lbs, while my husband can just cut out dessert while still eating fast food 3-4 times a week and lose 10 lbs in a month. It's just wrong.

Hang in there!

I've had like 10 clients break into tears in front of me in the past 3 days (only 3 of them for euthanasia). Apparently I like to make people cry.

:( Or maybe you have one of those personalities where people feel like they can cry in front of you. Which is a compliment, but still hard for you to deal with.

omg, story of my life. I have to work so hard just to lose 5 lbs, while my husband can just cut out dessert while still eating fast food 3-4 times a week and lose 10 lbs in a month. It's just wrong.

Hang in there!
Men always have an easier time than women. NOT FAIR.

Tried to make a stromboli out of cauliflower...I think it's going to be an epic fail. I don't think I was able to get all the moisture out before baking it since we don't have tea towels/cheese cloth. Threw it back in the oven hoping it might crisp up a bit, but I'm not hopeful.

One of the vets I work with told me that all four years of vet school cost him $38K.

All. Four. Years.

Its so different coming at this as a prospective Canadian student...I expect my tuition to be in the 40,000-50,000$ range for my four years of education (not including living expenses). All these comments and threads about tuition in the States makes my head spin. We may have way fewer schools (most of us can only apply to a single school) but at least we have a shot at graduating debt free...

Its so different coming at this as a prospective Canadian student...I expect my tuition to be in the 40,000-50,000$ range for my four years of education (not including living expenses). All these comments and threads about tuition in the States makes my head spin. We may have way fewer schools (most of us can only apply to a single school) but at least we have a shot at graduating debt free...
Theoretically, yes. But there's still plenty of us with debt, especially if you didn't know from day one that you wanted to be a vet. Between being from NS (which had the highest tuition in the country for a long time) undergraduate and vet school and family financial constraints, I am into this to the tune of $105,000, and I know many in my class who have hit six figures as well. So yes, we're better off than the Americans, but be careful not to assume everyone in your future vet class will have minimal debt.

Counting WBC for a 2 year old project at work. I don't think I'd ever cut it as a pathologist.

Try six weeks of path...I'm just happy today is my last damn day!
This batch of slides are just poorly streaked and stained. My eyes hurt, and I'm always scared I'm identifying something wrong :scared:

I just had to explain to someone why a state ADDL would choose not to release a necropsied animal back to its owner and why there's nothing wrong with that lab using alkaline hydrolysis to dispose of the carcass. In this person's mind, they didn't return the body and "dissolved it in acid" because they're "hiding something."

Sure, lady. :eyebrow:

I am proud of myself for not calling her an idiot or a conspiracy nut.

I am impressively horrible at thoracic radiology. Just took my final, and even after studying more, getting some repeat questions from the last quiz, and all in all feeling a bunch better about it ahead of time... same freaking grade! So, realistically, with all those things going for me, I just did worse. sheesh.

I hate you, lungs.

Reactions: 1 users
I am impressively horrible at thoracic radiology. Just took my final, and even after studying more, getting some repeat questions from the last quiz, and all in all feeling a bunch better about it ahead of time... same freaking grade! So, realistically, with all those things going for me, I just did worse. sheesh.

I hate you, lungs.

You are not alone. I'm very bad at radiology, especially thorax.

I hate you, lungs.
I'm actually relatively okay with thoracic rads. Orthopedic rads...my worst nightmare.

Finally got the letter from Illinois with my login info so I can set up all of my new school accounts and see my financial aid.

Websites won't work for me.

+pissed+

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really hoping for an alternate explanation. Regardless of the ethics of hunting +/- feral cats (which this cat might not have been), what small animal practitioner is stupid enough to make that kind of post and not realize that it is going to ruin her career!?
she apparently did an equine internship.

Reactions: 2 users
The TVMA posted a statement condemning her actions and stated that the mixed practice clinic she worked at fired her.

I don't know what's bothering me more... her actions up to and including her posts, or the fact that her posts sound like those of an immature tween.

I laughed a little bit, because I was just saying to Dyachei precisely what you said -- the whole shooting the cat aside, and even if she really did think it was feral, and all that stuff ..... how incredibly bad does your judgment have to be to make that Facebook post? I mean, it defies explanation.

Er. I mean I laughed that you said exactly the same thing. Not about the cat. That's just really, really sad. And he was a gorgeous handsome guy. What a waste.

#I'mAwesome

Reactions: 3 users
I feel incredibly sorry for the owner of that clinic and anyone else associated with it...
The TVMA made sure not to name the veterinarian or clinic but social media and news networks took care of that part.

The TVMA made sure not to name the veterinarian or clinic but social media and news networks took care of that part.

Uh.... she took care of it herself. I mean, it all started with her own bragging FB post. I thought it was dumb that TVMA didn't use her name, though I understand their reticence.