RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
15 years in vet med and yesterday was the first time I've been hurt bad enough to need medical attention. I'm okay, luckily, but stitches were not a fun way to start a long weekend off.
My boss did bring me a medicinal bottle of wine though... It will go nicely with a side of antibiotics :)
glad you're ok. what happened?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I fell asleep on the couch. Fairly normal occurrence around here. But it got windy outside and I have my bathroom window open a crack. It knocked my shampoo into the tub and scared me ****less. I thought someone was trying to come in. Now my chest hurts

But do you lock your doors?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
15 years in vet med and yesterday was the first time I've been hurt bad enough to need medical attention. I'm okay, luckily, but stitches were not a fun way to start a long weekend off.
My boss did bring me a medicinal bottle of wine though... It will go nicely with a side of antibiotics :)
Glad you're okay, lady. Yeesh!!!

When they could just quietly open the front door instead? Right...
Oh. I forgot to mention that my front door sticks so badly that you have to hip check it to get in. And then there are creaky stairs to get down into my house. There is no quietly coming into my house!

Probably be quieter to come through the bathroom actually lol

I was feeling ready to put myself back out there and try dating again so I reactivated my okcupid account. My top match is my ex that dumped me two months ago because he's not ready to be in a relationship and he needs to be by himself. I got drunk last night and asked him what I did wrong that made him end it. Apparently I did nothing wrong and I'm awesome. Then why the heck don't you want to be with me jerk? And why is my self esteem so crappy that I really want to be with a guy who obviously sucks. I think I need to embrace the crazy cat lady stereotype and get at least 3 more. This way I definitely won't die alone.

Reactions: 1 users
I was feeling ready to put myself back out there and try dating again so I reactivated my okcupid account. My top match is my ex that dumped me two months ago because he's not ready to be in a relationship and he needs to be by himself. I got drunk last night and asked him what I did wrong that made him end it. Apparently I did nothing wrong and I'm awesome. Then why the heck don't you want to be with me jerk? And why is my self esteem so crappy that I really want to be with a guy who obviously sucks. I think I need to embrace the crazy cat lady stereotype and get at least 3 more. This way I definitely won't die alone.
My guess is he's not really a jerk and he really does think you are awesome, but he just wasn't feeling that extra spark needed to make the relationship work long term. I know I've been on both sides of that situation and it sucks. It hurts knowing that someone you want to be with doesn't feel the same, and it sucks knowing someone wants to be with you but you don't feel the same even though they are totally awesome in every way. I've tried to have my brain overrule my heart, but that never works and I just end up hurting the other person. If your ex didn't care at all, he wouldn't have responded to you. I wish there was a way to make it hurt less, but I do believe that one day you will find someone who is as into you as you are into them.

Reactions: 2 users
My guess is he's not really a jerk and he really does think you are awesome
My brain wants to believe this but this is the guy who didn't text me for two weeks because he was dealing with some personal stuff and then texted me half an hour into a 12 hour overnight shift in the ICU that he wanted to break up. I appreciate you taking the time to answer really. I'm about at the point where I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find someone in life and that's okay. It will give me more freedom to do the things I want to. It's not the end of the world but it really hurts right now.

As Jil said, he may think you are awesome, wanted to see how you two were and just wasn't feeling it. Granted how he went about breaking up was El Douche-o Supreme-o. But don't give up hope just yet! It's a big country, can tell you lots of guys are looking for an animal-loving, well-educated person to spend their lives with.

My guess is he's not really a jerk and he really does think you are awesome, but he just wasn't feeling that extra spark needed to make the relationship work long term. I know I've been on both sides of that situation and it sucks. It hurts knowing that someone you want to be with doesn't feel the same, and it sucks knowing someone wants to be with you but you don't feel the same even though they are totally awesome in every way. I've tried to have my brain overrule my heart, but that never works and I just end up hurting the other person. If your ex didn't care at all, he wouldn't have responded to you. I wish there was a way to make it hurt less, but I do believe that one day you will find someone who is as into you as you are into them.

Totally agree with this. I have an ex I'm good terms with who broke if off after a couple of months. He said he didn't see us having a future but that he thinks I'm one the nicest and easiest to talk to people he's ever met. Didn't make it hurt any less at the time but we're now both cool with it and consult each other for relationship advice or just talk about whatever every now and then.

I'm the center of attention at this family reunion and it just makes me want to jump into the lake and keep swimming.

I know very few of this side of my family but apparently every single person has been told that I'm a veterinarian and that we have a doctor in the family now. It's super sweet, but, once again, curl up and die-inducing. And I'm being rude on my computer but there's only so much I can take.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm the center of attention at this family reunion and it just makes me want to jump into the lake and keep swimming.

I know very few of this side of my family but apparently every single person has been told that I'm a veterinarian and that we have a doctor in the family now. It's super sweet, but, once again, curl up and die-inducing. And I'm being rude on my computer but there's only so much I can take.
Boy do I know that feeling...I was always the center of attention at any event with my dad's extended family because I was his only kid and he passed away really young, plus I look just like him. Just wanted to hide under a rock.

Hang in there, friend.

Once a year I go camp and hang out with my endurance riding friends and scribe for the ride vets.

My boss informed me yesterday that I was expected to work Saturday. Didn't ask if I could, told me she "owned" me for the next two weeks and I was expected to be there.

I won't lie, I'm a little sad:(
Umm no, that's not how it works. Tell her your are really sorry but you already have travel plans.

Reactions: 7 users
Once a year I go camp and hang out with my endurance riding friends and scribe for the ride vets.

My boss informed me yesterday that I was expected to work Saturday. Didn't ask if I could, told me she "owned" me for the next two weeks and I was expected to be there.

How does she "own" you for two weeks? I mean, if you are done working for her in two weeks, I'd basically laugh and say no I already have plans and I wasn't scheduled to be here.

Glad other people on thread set you straight. For future reference when employers tell you things like that they are demonstrating an extremely unhealthy work relationship and probably don't have your interests in mind.

You may also want to show her the 13th Amendment :rolleyes:

I'm finally getting around to sending thank yous for my graduation but it's just making me sad. I'm sending graduation pictures with the cards and I know my grandmother would have loved to have one and that fact that I'll never be able to send it to her is just making me kind of upset. Her "congratulations for graduating" card to me was actually the last card I ever got from her. :(

Last edited:
I'm finally getting around to sending thank yous for my graduation but it's just making me sad. I'm sending graduation pictures with the cards and I know my grandmother would have loved to have one and that fact that I'll never be able to send it to her is just making me kind of upset. Her
congratulations for graduating" card to me was actually the last card I ever got from her. :(
:(

So I went to bed with a migraine last night. Woke up with the same one. And apparently I left the rooster locked out of the coop last night, so he is wandering the farm yard letting everyone know exactly how lonely he is. I don't want to go outside. He's loud enough in here.

Had the clinician who was supervising me the other day move stuff around on my treatment sheet because by the way I had it supposedly things may or may not get done. I just let her do it, but I had been doing it that way because the majority of the other people in the hospital seem to write theirs similarly.

After she crossed things and moved it all around, several of the techs came up to me to ask if things were still happening, if she still needed to be sedated, etc because it was not written out in the way they were used to seeing...

Learning a lot but definitely frustrated at times.

Had the clinician who was supervising me the other day move stuff around on my treatment sheet because by the way I had it supposedly things may or may not get done. I just let her do it, but I had been doing it that way because the majority of the other people in the hospital seem to write theirs similarly.

After she crossed things and moved it all around, several of the techs came up to me to ask if things were still happening, if she still needed to be sedated, etc because it was not written out in the way they were used to seeing...

Learning a lot but definitely frustrated at times.

One of the nicer things about my job is that I don't write treatment sheets. I love it. I put my plan in the computer in numbered lines... this is an example from Sunday:
  1. IVF - PlyteA - bolus 500ml, then 50ml/hr
  2. CRI - Lidocaine 50mcg/kg/min, Fentanyl 2mcg/kg/hr, Metoclopramide 1mg/kg/day
  3. Cerenia 10mg IV q24h
  4. Famotidine 10mg IV **ONCE**
  5. Pantoprazole 10mg IV q24h
  6. Place NG-tube, placement radiograph, suction q3-4h
  7. DIET: If no V in 6 hrs, 10ml Clinicare/hr, increase to 20ml/hr after 3 hours if tolerating. Offer bland diet same time. F/C H2O
  8. If still nauseous in 6 hours, add Dolasetron 10mg IV q24h
  9. TPR + BP q4h - notify DVM if pain not controlled
  10. ECG Telemetry
  11. Recheck Chem8+ 6AM
  12. Take O/S PRN
.... so my techs can translate that onto the treatment sheet however makes the most sense TO THEM. And since they are the ones that have to read/use/record it, I think that is the smarter way to do it.

To me that makes a LOT more sense. I don't have to spend time writing a treatment sheet, and the next shift doctor can cut 'n paste and modify as they see fit in THEIR shift notes. And the techs get to have it written on the treatment sheet how THEY feel it makes sense. Everyone wins. If I'm concerned about making sure the orders got translated from my plan in my notes to the treatment sheet, I can always wander over and look at the treatment sheet, but I hardly ever do - I've never really seen our techs make a mistake in putting together the tx sheet. The mistakes are usually on my end (forgetting to put in a dose, putting in an incorrect dose, leaving out some treatment I meant to do) - all stuff that would have happened had I been doing the treatment sheet anyway.

I dunno. Just seems to me to be a better method. I won't ever go back.

I have a nice activity tree for my cats and they still prefer to play on the tv stand :yeahright:

Your flaw is expecting your cats to do what you think they should do

Reactions: 4 users
Had the puppy outside after work today, practicing some agility stuff and had her off-leash heeling up and down the street.

My neighbor comes out, starts applauding a down-stay-running recall and asked me what kind of shock collar I used to train her.

Ummm, none? Why do so many people feel like a shock collar is a necessity to train basic commands?

Had the puppy outside after work today, practicing some agility stuff and had her off-leash heeling up and down the street.

My neighbor comes out, starts applauding a down-stay-running recall and asked me what kind of shock collar I used to train her.

Ummm, none? Why do so many people feel like a shock collar is a necessity to train basic commands?
Whoa. that is pretty pathetic if so. Luckily, I don't know many of those types.

Whoa. that is pretty pathetic if so. Luckily, I don't know many of those types.

Negative reinforcement is "the thing" around here lately.... Aka, holding down the shock button and only releasing it when the dog does what you want. I hate it. I've started handing out a specific trainers card at all my puppy visits because I know she shares my views on positive reinforcement.

Negative reinforcement is "the thing" around here lately.... Aka, holding down the shock button and only releasing it when the dog does what you want. I hate it. I've started handing out a specific trainers card at all my puppy visits because I know she shares my views on positive reinforcement.
You are doing a needed service then.

Reactions: 5 users

Omg, that's horrible!!! :(

One of the nicer things about my job is that I don't write treatment sheets. I love it. I put my plan in the computer in numbered lines... this is an example from Sunday:
  3. Cerenia 10mg IV q24h
  7. DIET: If no V in 6 hrs, 10ml Clinicare/hr, increase to 20ml/hr after 3 hours if tolerating. Offer bland diet same time. F/C H2O
  10. ECG Telemetry
  11. Recheck Chem8+ 6AM
  12. Take O/S PRN
.... so my techs can translate that onto the treatment sheet however makes the most sense TO THEM. And since they are the ones that have to read/use/record it, I think that is the smarter way to do it.

To me that makes a LOT more sense. I don't have to spend time writing a treatment sheet, and the next shift doctor can cut 'n paste and modify as they see fit in THEIR shift notes. And the techs get to have it written on the treatment sheet how THEY feel it makes sense. Everyone wins. If I'm concerned about making sure the orders got translated from my plan in my notes to the treatment sheet, I can always wander over and look at the treatment sheet, but I hardly ever do - I've never really seen our techs make a mistake in putting together the tx sheet. The mistakes are usually on my end (forgetting to put in a dose, putting in an incorrect dose, leaving out some treatment I meant to do) - all stuff that would have happened had I been doing the treatment sheet anyway.

thats how it was at my internship. now i have to make my own weird sheets and sign things up at different times, and i'm paralyzed with fear that i will be yelled at for scheduling something at an inconvenient time haha

We're having a lot of tech turn-over...we only really have one amazeballs tech in the first place, two or three pretty good and the rest either new or painful incompetent. And the shifts are poorly thought out so certain shifts get stuck with zero "good" techs. The amazeballs one is apparently going to quit soon and she is training a new person with literally zero experience.

I get it, you learn on the job. I did, and I was an alright tech. But when literally the majority of our techs are now very inexperienced with only a couple standing out as "acceptable", it's scary. And it makes me not want to work here even more. I almost wish I had applied to the opening I saw a few months back with like EIGHT licensed techs. What a dream.

3. Cerenia 10mg IV q24h
  10. ECG Telemetry
  11. Recheck Chem8+ 6AM
  12. Take O/S PRN

Most of us make typed ones and save it under the patient's name on a shared drive, so you can search for it if you take over the case. This was just a drop off for some imaging so it was handwritten with just monitoring parameters and then had areas at the bottom to be checked off for when the AUS and CXR were done since that's how I've seen majority of the sheets done in the hospital. Those boxes were what was moved around /cross off and stuff along with the sedation orders (which were written on by the tech who was going to be doing the sedation) since she was a fractious kitty. And then confusion ensued and I really wanted to just be like "i had it that way for a reason..." but I'm still so low on the totem pole that I kind of just have to deal with it.

Other frustrations are just due to different ways of managing things, like I'll get critiqued on how I managed something, but then when someone else takes it over, they either don't really change much or I hear other clinicians talk about handling a different case in a similar fashion. I know this is going to happen pretty frequently but it can just be annoying to feel like you really messed up or something at times when it turns out you didn't handle the case as badly as you thought. And I'm definitely no where near efficient yet and still don't think of a lot of things, so in the long run I don't mind but it wears on you after a long week.

4 migraines in less than a week. This morning involved more vomiting and very gruesome nightmarish imagery. I'm usually not one to be grossed out (look at the profession, I also like Anatomic path and the dissection) but maybe combo nausea and migraine agony has left me weak? Now still in pain and feel like someone stuck me in the washing machine on spin cycle...

4 migraines in less than a week. This morning involved more vomiting and very gruesome nightmarish imagery. I'm usually not one to be grossed out (look at the profession, I also like Anatomic path and the dissection) but maybe combo nausea and migraine agony has left me weak? Now still in pain and feel like someone stuck me in the washing machine on spin cycle...
:cryi: This is really terrible. I wish there was something someone could do. I simply cannot imagine the horribleness that you are going through. Love sent.