RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I told my mother yesterday that my personal hell will only serve birthday cake. Blech, I have such disdain for desserts....

tumblr_inline_mqopy6mX3k1qz4rgp.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Shut your pie hole.

I can't say this but.....beware of what y'all fear. It'll be on that bloody test.
:( I just don't understand! We didn't learn a ton about other exotics at Western but we at least touched on chelonians, iguanas, birds... not one mention of fish. Also, the only real bird diseases we learned were botulism and all those duck diseases like viral hepatitis, Riemerella, duck virus enteritis. VetPrep didn't ask me one question about those! I did however get asked about Plasmodium and other stuff I'd never heard of :(

Reactions: 1 user
Gah.
I have carefully checked every online order I make to make sure that I put in my new address and not my address back home. And yet my aquarium stand still somehow got shipped there instead of here :grumpy:
The correct shipping address is on the order summary, and on the paypal statement, so idk how they ****ed it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, on top of everything else that's going on, pretty sure I'm getting sick :(

Not really sure where it happened, but some sort of miscommunication happened and my patient didn't get started on his blood transfusion even though I had it on the treatment sheet. The only thing I can think of is when I told the tech taking care of him that the lab didn't have enough blood to run his blood type, so he'd unfortunately have to be re-stuck and that maybe she heard something along the lines of "nvm, they don't have money." It's not the most detrimental of things because he has CKD and he's been holding at a low PCV for a while, so it's not like a hemoab or IMHA or anything but meh.

And I think my dog is going to need Apoquel earlier than usual this year. I feel like I can usually get him to like September before his atopy is bad, but he's doing a lot of itching lately. Not sure if there is some additional environmental stuff since we moved.

Today's been fun.

• Found out my cousin (maternal side of the family) is likely on herein and also arrested on several shoplifting charges
  • My dad is spewing his toxic and abusive BS all over my sister and she was already in a really bad emotional place when she went to stay with him that is now worse due to his influence
  • My (paternal) aunt is spewing her toxic BS all over my sister to the same effect
  • From my sister's reports it sounds like there is enough reason to report my father for criminal animal abuse against our dogs, our childhood pets, which carries jail time penalties in his state. Both dogs are seniors as well, and from the shape they're in it sounds like they may not be very adoptable or able to be rehabilitated at this point
  • I'm at the point where I think my father needs to be put in a home or an institution, because he lives in filth and shambles and doesn't give a crap about taking care of himself or anything/one else. He literally left food on the counter until bugs infested it because he couldn't be bothered, there's no electricity in the house, it's awful
  • My aunt has been breaking into their house and stealing things on top of it
Literally it is a miracle that I came out of this family so normal, and when you're even semifunctional everybody else insists that you come in and fix everything for them. :(:rage::bag::grumpy::sour::sorry:
:boom:

:( That's more than anyone should have to deal with at one point in time. Sorry, Vethead. Is your sister a minor? Is she stuck there?
She is not a minor but she is stuck there. They have no money and she can't move for the foreseeable future. She's been trying to get a job but it's been difficult as the market is not great there and they currently have no Internet or phone lines because my dad refuses to pay the bills. He also, predictably, refuses to look for jobs himself and insists that caring for both of them is my sister's job.

She is not a minor but she is stuck there. They have no money and she can't move for the foreseeable future. She's been trying to get a job but it's been difficult as the market is not great there and they currently have no Internet or phone lines because my dad refuses to pay the bills. He also, predictably, refuses to look for jobs himself and insists that caring for both of them is my sister's job.
I'm so sorry vmh. I wish there was more I could say, or help in some way. Hang in there. I hope your sister can get out of there soon. And I'm so sorry about the dogs

So sorry that you and your sister have to deal with this, VMH. :( It definitely sounds like your dad might need to be placed somewhere where he can be helped, if the situation has gotten this dire but he's refused to do anything about it. I feel so bad for your sister...

I wish I could help more somehow, but at least know that you've always got the SDN community to vent and let loose your frustrations to.

*hugs*

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no :( She did that just by chewing on/scratching herself?
She has vasculitis so that with steriods makes her skin paper thin. If she gets even a tiny lesion she can lick it open in a very short amount of time.
She's also a beast to put on meds because of everything she's on already.

The little **** is lucky she'sa good dog! Lol

She has vasculitis so that with steriods makes her skin paper thin. If she gets even a tiny lesion she can lick it open in a very short amount of time.

Poor thing, hope she heals up well.

Poor baby!

Glad she's got someone so awesome to take care of her!

So that job that I ranted about:

Someone from a different location, one of my classmates, told me to hold on. Tough it out for at least a month. Changes are coming.

I don't know whether to have hope or not. I can't imagine how much change would have to occur to make it worth staying here. But just maybe her boss will break off and start the second lab he was talking about. (The classmate is running a stand alone lab down south. I was offered the job first, but didn't want to move to that location. There has been talk about opening a second.)

Found out one of my gyms exists just 30 minutes from where I'm rotating, so I packed a bag to take to the gym after surgeries were done for the day. At 5, we got a FB and a spinal fx. At 10:30, they came to tell us about a pyometra. I did not go to the gym :(

Found out one of my gyms exists just 30 minutes from where I'm rotating, so I packed a bag to take to the gym after surgeries were done for the day. At 5, we got a FB and a spinal fx. At 10:30, they came to tell us about a pyometra. I did not go to the gym :(
The road to hell is paved with our intentions. I hope everyone is okay!

My boyfriend has been deployed since March, and since I am in school in Grenada for 8 months out of the year we barely get to see each other as it is. We should have been able to spend the whole summer together, but obviously that did not happen due to him being gone. He is due to return to the States mid-September, and we were planning a visit for him to come to Grenada in early October after my midterms. Turns out, the other officer in his position working in his new squadron when he gets back is now deploying in early October and they will be short officers, and want him to be able to start working then. Now he's not even sure if they'll let him take leave in October at all :( It seems like his job/the world is against us

Last edited:
I'm sick of having health concerns. I was diagnosed with bacterial hepatitis a few weeks ago and my liver enzymes were "through the roof," and I then had to discontinue my antibiotics because I developed a well-known hypersensitivity reaction. Now I'm experiencing a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower left abdomen that's becoming more consistent as time goes on. I've gone 23 years without being sick and now I'm falling apart in a matter of weeks.

Ugh. I got home from the store and my entire building and apartment smells like paint. Extremely fume-y, probably extremely dangerous to be breathing this in paint. I turned the vents on, closed up my windows and put a towel under the front door and it's a little better. But I'm on the top floor and everything seems to be venting up here so it's probably going to be smelly for a while.

I called my managements emergency maintenance line, cause this is way too strong to be normal paint and I wanted to be sure they had in fact painted here today and I didn't need to call the fire department or something to check out the source of these fumes. The good news is they did paint today. Bad news is they didn't seem to give a crap when I said the entire two top floors smelled like it and my apartment did as well.

From where it smells the worst, I'm pretty sure it was the apartment directly below me. Which also explains why I can smell it when I open my windows. I put a towel over my floor vents cause I can smell it coming through. So annoyed though. This cannot be safe :/

I called my managements emergency maintenance line, cause this is way too strong to be normal paint and I wanted to be sure they had in fact painted here today and I didn't need to call the fire department or something to check out the source of these fumes. The good news is they did paint today. Bad news is they didn't seem to give a crap when I said the entire two top floors smelled like it and my apartment did as well.

From where it smells the worst, I'm pretty sure it was the apartment directly below me. Which also explains why I can smell it when I open my windows. I put a towel over my floor vents cause I can smell it coming through. So annoyed though. This cannot be safe :/
:(

But wait, this means you don't want to get high on paint fumes? ;)

:(

But wait, this means you don't want to get high on paint fumes? ;)

I feel like I'd pass out being in the same room as these haha

I'm about to call them again to ask them to come cover up the vents in the other apartment, cause it's definitely coming up through mine now.

Between yesterday and today I think I've walked about ~15 miles which isn't the rant.

The actual rant is that I think my idiot self managed to pull a muscle in my calf. Idk how I managed that at a very forgiving walking speed, but it hurts like a mother when I walk on it.

Right after I posted I called when I realized it was coming up through the kitchen more now, and they were super nice and came right out with lots of fans to help vent everything and it's so much better. They must have just been painting the kitchen, cause that's where it all seemed to have been coming in through in my unit and my bedroom has been fine. So I've had the kitties locked in here with me and they don't seem bothered by it.

Right after I posted I called when I realized it was coming up through the kitchen more now, and they were super nice and came right out with lots of fans to help vent everything and it's so much better. They must have just been painting the kitchen, cause that's where it all seemed to have been coming in through in my unit and my bedroom has been fine. So I've had the kitties locked in here with me and they don't seem bothered by it.
Your kitties don't seem bothered because they're still rolling in their paint fume high

Starting to get a little worried. I stopped working so I could get ready for school and finish my application and the vet I worked for all summer hasn't told me whether or not he will write me a recommendation yet. I did break a couple of things but they weren't super serious and weren't veterinary related. Hoping he does because without his recommendation I won't have an employer recommendation. My dad is the only other vet I've ever worked for, and I was hoping to have my application in by the 15th.

Starting to get a little worried. I stopped working so I could get ready for school and finish my application and the vet I worked for all summer hasn't told me whether or not he will write me a recommendation yet. I did break a couple of things but they weren't super serious and weren't veterinary related. Hoping he does because without his recommendation I won't have an employer recommendation. My dad is the only other vet I've ever worked for, and I was hoping to have my application in by the 15th.
So you asked him and he didn't give you an answer one way or another? That's kinda sucky of him but I understand just needing the letter at this point...hopefully it works out. I would probably go ahead and bring it up again...

I'm sick of having health concerns. I was diagnosed with bacterial hepatitis a few weeks ago and my liver enzymes were "through the roof," and I then had to discontinue my antibiotics because I developed a well-known hypersensitivity reaction. Now I'm experiencing a sharp, stabbing pain in my lower left abdomen that's becoming more consistent as time goes on. I've gone 23 years without being sick and now I'm falling apart in a matter of weeks.
Hug. Hug. Huggggg

I think you definitely need to approach the subject again, letting him now your application is due ASAP, and if he is unable to write you a good recommendation, then you'd appreciate the time to find someone else. There's nothing offensive about giving him an out (he's unable to write you one quickly), and letting him know you just need to know so you can find an alternative. Do it over the phone or in person, because he can ignore an email! But do it quick. Don't waste any more time on him being wishy washy.

Woken up by my bengal yowling her head off and hanging upside down by one of her back legs. Apparently she jumped and midair got her back leg stuck almost to the hock in the hinge crevice of one of our baby gates, then couldn't figure out how to back herself out to get free.

She was, unsurprisingly, a struggling whirl of claws and teeth so I tossed a blanket over her and shimmied her loose. Still ended up with two good scratches and the teeniest almost-bite on my arm. She was a little hesitant with the leg for a few minutes but is now walking on it fine... but holy crap, what an adrenaline rush to wake you up.

And I'm sitting here thinking about how long she could have been stuck there, struggling, if I wasn't bumming around at the house right now. :c

Last edited:
So I'm paying nearly $500 more a month for a "1 bedroom" that's half the size of my old place. I put it in quotes, because I thought a bedroom signifies a separation between the living area and the bedroom. There is no door, just an archway; total studio in my book.

The sinks are lower which is nice, but with a FULL size bed I cannot turn around in my wheelchair if I'm on the sides, I have to back out. Complex's response: we can trade it out for a twin. Sure, I'd like to go back to grade-school and start sleeping on a twin again. I know I have the leg room, that's not the point! Had a queen at my old place and much more room on the sides.

I have to make it work. I'm paying for location and only have to roll across the street for class. No commuting at all which is awesome :).

My mancat is typically a food monster. He gets into everything and tries to eat everything that is remotely edible. He's the reason I have to separate everyone at mealtimes. When I open the pantry, he comes running with his tail way up and quivering, purring so loud you can hear it from across the room. When I'm getting their food ready for a meal, he's all over me, and he tries to jump up on the counter to get at it before I'm done. He's stolen bites of food before when I've been too slow to react and grab him. He follows me around like a lunatic when I put the food down, meowing his head off, and then he shoves his face in the bowl and inhales it all in 3 seconds flat. Then he hovers by the other doors until I open them to see if the other cats left so much as a crumb behind.

Well, since Friday night, he's been ...a normal cat. He's still purring and rubbing up against my legs when I'm grabbing the food, but he doesn't come into the kitchen flying like a bat out of hell when I so much as touch the pantry doorknob like he used to. He purrs when he eats, but not as loudly, and he doesn't follow me around or freak out when there's food out. He's leaving food behind, both wet and dry. He's still eating most of it, but he's never ever been the type to leave anything behind. Hasn't had any vomiting. No diarrhea. Normal stool in the boxes. Absolutely nothing else is remarkable. He's just suddenly not a ravenous food beast and he's not even trying to get at my plate if I step away from my own food. It's freaking me out a little bit. And of course, he starts it up on my very last day of work, so I no longer have an employee discount if he does start developing other symptoms. Thanks, cat.

Apparently VIN does not have any discount on memberships for post-doc researcher veterinarians at an academic institution. So no more VIN membership for me, because lol at the thought of me affording a VIN membership making very slightly more than I would as a resident.

Cool VIN way to alienate people who aren't in a traditional route. Talk the talk about being supportive of recent grads with high loan burdens and low salaries, but don't walk the walk.

Agreed. Hopefully it is an oversight on their part and no one bothered to bring it to his attention. I don't use it for much so far being in research, but I still like that it is there and occasionally read through a pathology case.

You could send Paul a message. He may be able to help. He seems nice enough.

I sent an email to the membership people and they got a bunch of other people involved and came up with if I submit content or do a rounds session or something they might be able to give me 6 months at a time. I don't really know that I have anything to contribute of value that wouldn't be just filler at this point. So I just dropped the issue and said screw it.

I sent an email to the membership people and they got a bunch of other people involved and came up with if I submit content or do a rounds session or something they might be able to give me 6 months at a time. I don't really know that I have anything to contribute of value that wouldn't be just filler at this point. So I just dropped the issue and said screw it.
That's really annoying and not a good way to have you contribute further into your career. I don't see how this part of your training is so significantly different than internship/residency that it shouldn't qualify.

...this also possibly explains some of the extremely specific rounds that I've listened to from researchers.

Boo. That sucks.

Yeah I basically sent a message saying I don't think I can really do that yet. I'm just starting out and don't have the data. And I probably won't ever be back.

Cool VIN way to alienate people who aren't in a traditional route. Talk the talk about being supportive of recent grads with high loan burdens and low salaries, but don't walk the walk.
thats super stupid. i'm furious for you. VIN should be ashamed of themselves for this behavior

Had a kitten in ICU last night doing poorly. Tried to triage things on my own, wasn't going well. Called the staff dr on the case. Didn't answer her phone. Called 5 other doctors...finally got in touch with someone (who wasn't even working that day, g-d bless her) who told me I was doing everything I could for her). ...Proceeded to get reamed out by staff dr in the am for not doing more. Gee, thanks. I tried to turn it into a learning experience so I could make something from it. But that was not helpful. At all. Not freaking okay.