RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I made a small lasagna today. I put spinach in the ricotta layer - more nutritional benefits and it looks pretty against the red sauce and meat. Totally forgot to get mozzarella though so I used some provolone slices for the top. Worked out pretty well. Cannot express how much I love having an oven that works well.

Reactions: 1 user
Survived my first full evacuation due to fire alarm being set off by a girl straightening her hair. :soexcited:. My RAs were on point!:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
The group of friends I formed while in my MS program last year is just awesome! My family kinda had everything we planned on for this summer just fall apart before our eyes (hence why I only applied to 2 schools instead of 5 even though it's my last round). They got together and found a way to help us out. I love them!

So excited to share that we FINALLY have answers to why my dog is STILL chewing herself raw even on a hydrolyzed protein diet! She is apparently severely allergic to everything she was tested for including grasses, pollen, trees, feathers, house mites, dust mites, and molds. We're lucky enough to have a dermatologist with a seemingly endless supply of apoquel. She's done really well on apoquel and she's even got fur again But now we know why she goes right back to chewing at exactly 24 hours after her last dose when we have tried to stop the apoquel. I'm so glad we have an answer and can start helping her to be healthy and feel good!

Reactions: 2 users
One of our rats from immunology lab is coming home with me! :biglove:
h7NgK3w.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Phi. Zeta.
Now I can look my cousin (Purdue, c/o 1992 PhiZeta) in the face and remember the day she told my mother, after finding out I applied, "FTB should really think about other careers."
What now, B****

What breed do you show? I was gonna guess based on your avatar, but thought it might not be correct.

I actually show a couple breeds but my main one (and the one whose national it is) is Australian shepherds :)

I'd be impressed if you got both breeds in my avatar. One is easy, the other not so much (for most people).

I actually show a couple breeds but my main one (and the one whose national it is) is Australian shepherds :)

I'd be impressed if you got both breeds in my avatar. One is easy, the other not so much (for most people).
Yeah, the Aussie is the easy one to see. The other isn't in profile and has ears tucked so build and ear shape can't help... he's smaller than the other.
My guess is he's got a flat coat. I want to guess a terrier of some kind, but no...
I can't tell from the picture either.

Yeah, the Aussie is the easy one to see. The other isn't in profile and has ears tucked so build and ear shape can't help... he's smaller than the other.
My guess is he's got a flat coat. I want to guess a terrier of some kind, but no...
I can't tell from the picture either.

She's an Icelandic Sheepdog. ;)
Most people guess border collie.

Ah well, the Aussie is Finnick and he's supposed to be the prominent one in my avatar anyways. Ya know, to go along with the name.

Ah well, the Aussie is Finnick and he's supposed to be the prominent one in my avatar anyways. Ya know, to go along with the name.
I've only barely heard of those, so nope, would not have guessed.

Members don't see this ad :)

Random, but...

I have Icie puppy fever so bad right now. There's a local breeder who keeps posting pics on Facebook and it's killing me. Icetoberfest is next weekend and I'm a little afraid I might not be able to resist bringing something home!

I was feeling pretty discouraged this week (mostly because we have 9 exam in 10 days coming up...), but then yesterday and today I met with our externship coordinator. Not only is she the sweetest person in world, but she got me really really really pumped about externships for this next summer. SO. EXCITED. :D

I was feeling pretty discouraged this week (mostly because we have 9 exam in 10 days coming up...), but then yesterday and today I met with our externship coordinator. Not only is she the sweetest person in world, but she got me really really really pumped about externships for this next summer. SO. EXCITED. :D

She's the greatest! You all got this :) Seriously!!

Getting some extra money back from the school that I wasn't expecting and I finally managed to do a set of consecutive kipping pull ups! I've been working on the movement intermittently for years and finally got it (and after a Hero WOD too).

The splenic mass I felt on one of my ferrets (that I diagnosed via palpation, confirmed with ultrasound) came back as extramedullary hematopoiesis. :D It is by no means 100% that there isn't something horrible in there, but it makes me feel better about it...

Reactions: 5 users
For the first time in 2-3 weeks, my kitchen is clean. No gross crumby floor, no spattered stovetop, no mountain of dishes...hooray for weekends.

Reactions: 1 users
Since I was stuck at my condo this weekend (didn't want to leave in case the status of my wind-mangled patio tree changed), I cleaned and organized. I've only technically lived in my new place since the last week of July and most of that time I had a broken ankle so lots of boxes didn't really get unpacked right away. Well, now I'm down to three boxes, mostly bathroom and bedroom stuff. Yay!

I own way too many things though. I'm fortunate to have developed pretty excellent organizational skills so I know how to mange it all, but it's definitely time for a clothing purge if nothing else. Right now my clothing is spread over two bedrooms and while I'm okay with my business formal and formal wear residing in a more spacious closet, everything else really needs to fit in one closet.

My parents know my apartment-provided mattress has been bothering my back and shoulder a lot. Well this weekend, they came to visit and they brought me a memory foam mattress topper! I'm laying on it now and I honestly feel weightless. I'm so excited to sleep tonight

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got the most perfect care packages, one from my mom and one from my boyfriend, just in time for midterms (complete with sugary snacks that are obviously necessary for exam weeks). Did well on my first exam of the week today, AND I get to go home for a weekend in 10 days and see them both and do some Halloween related activities. BEST DAY IN A LONG TIME! :D

Got the most perfect care packages, one from my mom and one from my boyfriend, just in time for midterms (complete with sugary snacks that are obviously necessary for exam weeks). Did well on my first exam of the week today, AND I get to go home for a weekend in 10 days and see them both and do some Halloween related activities. BEST DAY IN A LONG TIME! :D
i read "surgery snacks" and for a moment i was highly intrigued and wanted in on the action.

Ok, so I've begun this year's Halloween costume! I decided that I am going to make my wheelchair even more obnoxiously big this year. It's going to be decorated as the lamp, I'm going to dress as the Genie, and my service dog is going to be Aladdin.

Here's the mock-up I threw together in Photoshop, and below are the items I already purchased for my dog (a little red Fez hat, a toddler's purple shirt that I'll cut into a vest, and a pair of baby yoga pants that I'll paint a brown belt on to match Aladdin's:

costume.jpg

I don't know if this last part is feasible (maybe someone here is really knowledgeable when it comes to electrical stuff, as it's not my cup of tea). Every time in the movie, when the lamp is rubbed, there's an ungodly amount on smoke. It would be pretty amazing if I could mount a fog machine under my wheelchair that lets out a big plume of smoke. If the smoke is thick enough, it would effectively hide the wheels of my chair and I'd look like a floating lamp cruising around my school. Powerful smoke machines draw a lot of power, and I don't know if it's possible to rig one to a car battery.

To top it off, I will be blasting that song "Prince Ali, wonderous he, Aliiiiaaaabaaabbbwaaa..." from the motion picture soundtrack on a portable Bluetooth speaker attached to my chair as we make our way across campus during the day.

Reactions: 6 users
Ok, so I've begun this year's Halloween costume! I decided that I am going to make my wheelchair even more obnoxiously big this year. It's going to be decorated as the lamp, I'm going to dress as the Genie, and my service dog is going to be Aladdin.

Here's the mock-up I threw together in Photoshop, and below are the items I already purchased for my dog (a little red Fez hat, a toddler's purple shirt that I'll cut into a vest, and a pair of baby yoga pants that I'll paint a brown belt on to match Aladdin's:

View attachment 196777

I don't know if this last part is feasible (maybe someone here is really knowledgeable when it comes to electrical stuff, as it's not my cup of tea). Every time in the movie, when the lamp is rubbed, there's an ungodly amount on smoke. It would be pretty amazing if I could mount a fog machine under my wheelchair that lets out a big plume of smoke. If the smoke is thick enough, it would effectively hide the wheels of my chair and I'd look like a floating lamp cruising around my school. Powerful smoke machines draw a lot of power, and I don't know if it's possible to rig one to a car battery.

To top it off, I will be blasting that song "Prince Ali, wonderous he, Aliiiiaaaabaaabbbwaaa..." from the motion picture soundtrack on a portable Bluetooth speaker attached to my chair as we make our way across campus during the day.
I don't know if you could strap enough on or buy enough to make it worth it, but less obnoxious than the smoke machine might be some dry ice in a netting sack you keep in a cooler. When you want the big smoke puff, you use a squirting bottle (kind people on bikes use not the mister thing) and douse it with water. Instant puff of smoke. But it would only be a few second blast and once the water melted off the CO2, it might leave a small puddle... but something along those lines might work better than the smoke machine.

If you are set on the smoke machine though, look up local djs (like the kind that do weddings). Since they have to set up and take down so often, they would know about the most portable one and where to rent one.

I want a picture/ video when this is done. ;)

Tomorrow I'm helping take a mass off a fish, health checking a group of jellyfish, doing rechecks on a crestie and a kingsnake, and...

...doing a physical and nail trim on a sloth! And not just any sloth, but the jerk-face sloth that I've spent the last 7 years talking about at the natural science museum I work at. To say I'm thrilled is an extreme understatement. If this doesn't end up working out I quite honestly might cry.

Reactions: 6 users
And not just any sloth, but the jerk-face sloth that I've spent the last 7 years talking about at the natural science museum I work at.

Elaborate...I want to hear about this jerk-face sloth. He seems like my type of sloth.

Elaborate...I want to hear about this jerk-face sloth. He seems like my type of sloth.
Well, he was wild-caught in the nineties, kept at a different facility for a couple years where he picked fights with other sloths in the group exhibit, and has been happily living at my museum since. Except for when people mess with him - then he aims his stupidly sharp teeth at ya. :p

This is his painfully adorable face:

(see especially 0:27ish)

Well, he was wild-caught in the nineties, kept at a different facility for a couple years where he picked fights with other sloths in the group exhibit, and has been happily living at my museum since. Except for when people mess with him - then he aims his stupidly sharp teeth at ya. :p

This is his painfully adorable face:

(see especially 0:27ish)

OMG! SO CUTE!!!

Just did an intake on a wild mink! So stinkin' cute! Until they wake up from anesthesia, that is..

I survived part one of hell week(s), took a wonderful nap, ate some yummy food, and now I'm feeling 100% better than the sleep deprived zombie that was me at 4am this morning :)

Post job interview shopping. Yay! Since money is tight, I'm trying to stick to things that are practical - like a lamp shade for the lamp I "inherited" from my grandmother so I can actually use it. It's nice to get out of my condo though and at least window shop.

Not happy about the euthanasia part, but I'm pretty excited that I nailed the first cardiac stick I've done in over a year. I was telling everyone who was watching me not to hold their breath, and BAM! I hit it right away! It may have helped that it was an opossum and not a tiny baby squirrel, but still proud of myself!

Not happy about the euthanasia part, but I'm pretty excited that I nailed the first cardiac stick I've done in over a year. I was telling everyone who was watching me not to hold their breath, and BAM! I hit it right away! It may have helped that it was an opossum and not a tiny baby squirrel, but still proud of myself!
I did my first cardiac stick today for a euthanasia today as well. However, mine was more of a humbling experience and not one of excitement.

I did my first cardiac stick today for a euthanasia today as well. However, mine was more of a humbling experience and not one of excitement.
Like I said, I'm not happy about the euthanasia part. I'm just happy that a skill I've learned didn't totally disappear with disuse.

Well you are clearly out of the STL haters club :p

I feel like I have to forever be out of the STL haters club because he is the only reason I'm going to pass my exams hahaha. (Ok not the only reason but you know)

And I LOVE the pony pictures! Nothing better than a good pony and some nice autumn trails.
Trees were at the height of colour change (that picture doesn't do it justice), weather was gorgeous, crisp but not cold, I got to chat with my coach/2nd mother and my mare never put a foot wrong despite it being ages since she'd been on the trails. :D It's like a reset button for my soul.

And I miss you too. Like the deserts miss the rain. :(