Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted here as well by phone! Congrats!

The core rotation sites are in Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Greeley, Grand junction, and then a couple places in Utah and Idaho. It is a lottery system, most students get one of their top 2 locations. The majority of positions are in Denver.

And once you receive a site, it is a safe bet to move there for your rotations? I am trying to see how many times a student would need to move.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted here as well by phone! Congrats!

And once you receive a site, it is a safe bet to move there for your rotations? I am trying to see how many times a student would need to move.
From everything I have heard, yes you are safe to move there. You will need to come back to RVU prior to your surgical rotation for a training class but I think that is only a few days and they normally find students for you to stay with. Congratulations on your acceptance. I'm only a few months in but I have been extremely satisfied thus far!

From everything I have heard, yes you are safe to move there. You will need to come back to RVU prior to your surgical rotation for a training class but I think that is only a few days and they normally find students for you to stay with. Congratulations on your acceptance. I'm only a few months in but I have been extremely satisfied thus far!

Thanks so much for your replies, I am happy to hear you are enjoying your time there so far. It seemed pretty commonplace for students at RVUCOM to be enthusiastic about their choice.

The core rotation sites are in Denver, Colorado Springs, Boulder, Greeley, Grand junction, and then a couple places in Utah and Idaho. It is a lottery system, most students get one of their top 2 locations. The majority of positions are in Denver.

You forgot pueblo. Maybe on purpose?

So excited to go here next year!!! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I tried to do a search on the forums for this question, but alas there was no answer

For RVU Secondary fee waiver, right below "Have you received a fee waiver from AACOMAS?" it states "If so, please attach." and allows you to attach a file. What are they wanting right here? I received a fee waiver, but the only documentation I have is an e-mail verifying I have been accepted for the AACOMAS fee assistance waiver. Any ideas?

Hello, I tried to do a search on the forums for this question, but alas there was no answer

For RVU Secondary fee waiver, right below "Have you received a fee waiver from AACOMAS?" it states "If so, please attach." and allows you to attach a file. What are they wanting right here? I received a fee waiver, but the only documentation I have is an e-mail verifying I have been accepted for the AACOMAS fee assistance waiver. Any ideas?
Save that email in PDF form and attach it. That's what I did for every school that required it (including RVU) and that's all they needed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matriculating for sure? Congrats!
I think so, even if I go to the other interviews I'm sure eventually I'll pick RVU. So maybe I'll just stop wasting my time and energy and just go with it haha

Just submitted a secondary today... late I understand. Should I be hopeful for an interview later in the game?
Doing TouroCOM's master's program (which is the 1st yr med program without the OMM and Physical Diagnosis class)
MCAT 23 : b 8/ v 9/ p 6
GPA: 3.54 c / 3.23 s
2 medical brigades oversees
publication for chem research
volunteering hours (past and present with pre-soma) and shadowing for MD, working on shadowing a DO.
Should i hold out some hope? mcat is low..

I'm thinking about adding this school to my list...Do y'all think I'm still alright time-wise?
GPA >3.5
MCAT 27-29
Strong EC's (comm. service, leadership, tons of clinical, research, etc.)

Just submitted a secondary today... late I understand. Should I be hopeful for an interview later in the game?
Doing TouroCOM's master's program (which is the 1st yr med program without the OMM and Physical Diagnosis class)
MCAT 23 : b 8/ v 9/ p 6
GPA: 3.54 c / 3.23 s
2 medical brigades oversees
publication for chem research
volunteering hours (past and present with pre-soma) and shadowing for MD, working on shadowing a DO.
Should i hold out some hope? mcat is low..

Yeah it might be tough given that their average matriculating mcat was a 28.5 last year. I wouldn't get hopes up but you never know though.

I'm thinking about adding this school to my list...Do y'all think I'm still alright time-wise?
GPA >3.5
MCAT 27-29
Strong EC's (comm. service, leadership, tons of clinical, research, etc.)

Worth a shot imo, if you're really interested and have the extra cash.

Worth a shot imo, if you're really interested and have the extra cash.
Decided to go for it! I wasn't impressed with a school I recently interviewed at and a fellow interviewee there told me how much he liked this school. Looking at RVU's website and some older SDN threads, I think this school might be a better fit for me.

Decided to go for it! I wasn't impressed with a school I recently interviewed at and a fellow interviewee there told me how much he liked this school. Looking at RVU's website and some older SDN threads, I think this school might be a better fit for me.

Yeah I can honestly say it was my favorite school along with KCU which I recently interviewed at. I'm really excited about their genesis curriculum which KCU just adopted last year. And the location and area was awesome. Student atmosphere/vibe was also really good. (I've been on 6 interviews so far) ... Good luck!

Edit: I also really liked Campbell in NC but they are a newer school so it's tough when trying to compare if you don't have match lists and only 1 class take the boards thus far. But I could definitely see myself at Campbell as well.

So I received an email giving me feedback on why I was rejected -

Basically, they said they wanted to see more diverse shadowing experiences (all my shadowing was with one doc) and clinical work where I work under the direct supervision of doctors (I'm not sure about this one, I've worked in the ER, nursing homes, childrens hospitals, etc).

My cycle is going fairly well otherwise, but lady who wrote to me was very nice and said she would be happy to help me with the reapplication process so if this is your dream school I encourage you guys to write to them.

So I received an email giving me feedback on why I was rejected -

Basically, they said they wanted to see more diverse shadowing experiences (all my shadowing was with one doc) and clinical work where I work under the direct supervision of doctors (I'm not sure about this one, I've worked in the ER, nursing homes, childrens hospitals, etc).

My cycle is going fairly well otherwise, but lady who wrote to me was very nice and said she would be happy to help me with the reapplication process so if this is your dream school I encourage you guys to write to them.

Dang that's very specific. How many hours did you have/what kind of doctor if you don't mind sharing? I only have 40 formal hours from a DO GI physician and the other two shadowing experiences were in high school (didn't include on AACOMAS app because from HS), but I work alongside different doctors in my research right now. Wondering if they really want a lot of formal shadowing...?

Thanks for sharing and congrats on having a good cycle otherwise

Dang that's very specific. How many hours did you have/what kind of doctor if you don't mind sharing? I only have 40 formal hours from a DO GI physician and the other two shadowing experiences were in high school (didn't include on AACOMAS app because from HS), but I work alongside different doctors in my research right now. Wondering if they really want a lot of formal shadowing...?

I received an acceptance with only 8 formal shadowing hours with the same MD pediatrician. So I don't think a lot of formal shadowing is necessary.

Did anyone accepted 9/21 receive the matriculation agreement yet?

I wonder if the two-week clock started three days ago, or when then send the email with forms.

I have around 200 hours or so in neurology/neurosurgery. Maybe they're just more primary care focused.

Did anyone accepted 9/21 receive the matriculation agreement yet?

I wonder if the two-week clock started three days ago, or when then send the email with forms.
I've been waiting, nothing yet!

Interviewing here 10/6 :)

So I interviewed 9/11 and at the end of the day they mentioned we should hear back in two weeks. So far today I've got crickets, also I saw someone mentioned on here that they interviewed 9/11 and got accepted. Should I be worried?

So I interviewed 9/11 and at the end of the day they mentioned we should hear back in two weeks. So far today I've got crickets, also I saw someone mentioned on here that they interviewed 9/11 and got accepted. Should I be worried?
Did you check the student portal?

Has anyone received the matriculation agreement yet?

Did you check the student portal?
Yes, I don't see any accepted tab or anything. But they said we would receive an email whether we were accepted, denied, or wait-listed.

Anyone have a hard time uploading a resume to the application?

I had trouble too. If you upload it, look to see if a link appears to the right of the prompt. I had to do it about three times but then it seemed to stay when I refreshed.

Just got the acceptance phone call!! Interviewed 9/16. I wish everyone good luck! It's such a great feeling!

Got the acceptance call this morning! I'll see you guys in 2016 :).

Accepted!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I am new to SDN. I was complete for RVU 8/30 and haven't heard anything about an II. Anyone else complete around that time and in this position? I am wondering if I should call or not.

Hey guys, I am new to SDN. I was complete for RVU 8/30 and haven't heard anything about an II. Anyone else complete around that time and in this position? I am wondering if I should call or not.

Not sure how helpful this is haha but I've been complete since 8/10, and I have yet to hear anything about a rejection or II

That helps! At least I know we are in the same position. Good luck!

Hey y'all. Just got an interview invite via email. I logged onto the myvista portal to schedule but all I can see is that my status has been changed to interview invite. Anyone else having that problem or am I just missing the link to schedule?

Complete around the same time as you and have heard nothing so far

Hey y'all. Just got an interview invite via email. I logged onto the myvista portal to schedule but all I can see is that my status has been changed to interview invite. Anyone else having that problem or am I just missing the link to schedule?
I am in the same boat. I received my interview invite today but I can't find a way to schedule!

I was able to schedule my interview this morning. Earliest date was 10/6.
II yesterday, complete on 8/25. I'm IS, so excited that my travel is just a leisurely 45 minute drive this time :p

Acceeeepppted! Time to buy a ski pass for 2016 =D. Best of luck to everyone going through the process!

I was able to schedule my interview this morning. Earliest date was 10/6.
II yesterday, complete on 8/25. I'm IS, so excited that my travel is just a leisurely 45 minute drive this time :p
Same here! :)