Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are all in this together guys. I was complete on about 9/24, and have been in review for a while. Anyone else on here complete around this date?

I need advice, its almost late October and I still havent completed this secondary. But I will be shadowing a DO in a month from now(due to annoying long certification process). When they ask if i shadowed or work with a DO i have to click "No" but im worried tht i wont be able to update them once i do shadow one, or tht ill be rejected before i can even update them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need advice, its almost late October and I still havent completed this secondary. But I will be shadowing a DO in a month from now(due to annoying long certification process). When they ask if i shadowed or work with a DO i have to click "No" but im worried tht i wont be able to update them once i do shadow one, or tht ill be rejected before i can even update them.

I would just update my secondary application with a word document explaining that you have signed up to shadow a DO. I heard that uploading an update on your secondaries is the best way to keep the Adcom upto date with what you have been upto during this waiting period. (Also, I hope there is a "facebook notification system" for the Adcom to see that your secondary has been updated so that they can just click on it, and see what you have been upto.) I don't think shadowing a DO is a required pre-req, but just cuz it isn't doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would just update my secondary application with a word document explaining that you have signed up to shadow a DO. I heard that uploading an update on your secondaries is the best way to keep the Adcom upto date with what you have been upto during this waiting period. (Also, I hope there is a "facebook notification system" for the Adcom to see that your secondary has been updated so that they can just click on it, and see what you have been upto.) I don't think shadowing a DO is a required pre-req, but just cuz it isn't doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

That is true. Thanks :) but its strongly strongly recommended to shadow a DO. btw how much did you write for the two essays, i hate the upper limits they set, i feel like i have to reach close to ttheir 750 word limits.

That is true. Thanks :) but its strongly strongly recommended to shadow a DO. btw how much did you write for the two essays, i hate the upper limits they set, i feel like i have to reach close to ttheir 750 word limits.

I agree haha! I felt the same way, but I managed to fill up a page single spaced with what I wanted to write for both the mandatory essays. The two questions seemed very similar in what they wanted to ask, so I just covered different things in both essays, and wrote the "optional" 3rd essay addressing all the glaring weaknesses in my application.

My primary was released on 9/18 and I just got the secondary today. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said they were having technical difficulties with people whose primary applications were released in that cycle.

Thanks! I emailed admissions, never heard back, but then got my secondary yesterday. Last one!

Where do you upload the document on the portal? I dont see any tabs for that..

Where do you upload the document on the portal? I dont see any tabs for that..

With the new cycle, things have changed. What I would do is email April ( RowanSOM's Administrative Assistant - Her email can be found on the school's admissions website under "contact us") with an update. I did just that. Call maybe 3 days later and check up on if she has recieved your email. Once April has acknowledged that you have sent an update it as a word document, she would upload it onto your file, and the updated document will show up under "Document Status" with a green check next to it.

With the new cycle, things have changed. What I would do is email April ( RowanSOM's Administrative Assistant - Her email can be found on the school's admissions website under "contact us") with an update. I did just that. Call maybe 3 days later and check up on if she has recieved your email. Once April has acknowledged that you have sent an update it as a word document, she would upload it onto your file, and the updated document will show up under "Document Status" with a green check next to it.

Thank you!

Had a question about applying here. I'm a NY resident, i heard it prefer IS applicant. Is that true?

Had a question about applying here. I'm a NY resident, i heard it prefer IS applicant. Is that true?

It's true that they have a strong in-state preference, but I don't think this should hinder you from applying if you're really interested.

It's true that they have a strong in-state preference, but I don't think this should hinder you from applying if you're really interested.

The statistics change from year to year but the majority of students at Rowan SOM are in-state, as with any school that receives state funding. I have no doubt that there is a preference towards IS applicants because of funding/the applicants natural ties to the area make them a stronger applicant. But, you should also consider that a great deal of this is self-selected as more IS applicants will apply to Rowan SOM than OOS and they are more likely to attend if accepted for financial reasons. Also, many students want to remain in-state for their education so that they can stay near family and more easily serve NJ in their future practice.

However, despite this they are very friendly to OOS applicants and will definitely give anyone a chance. When I interviewed last cycle I met a few students who were OOS or had friends who were OOS. If you are truly interested in Rowan SOM I would go for it, without a doubt. Its a great medical school and the only way to guarantee not getting in is to not apply. Good luck either way!

Members don't see this ad :)

Just to add on here, please remember that we do accept a good portion of OOS applicants but they usually choose to stay around their area. Most IS people are going to accept the invitation just because its close by to their folks and etc so don't let the stats throw you off. That being said, we are slightly biased to NJ residents but plenty of OOS students also get in.

My letters are still not marked as received when I called the woman said they should be marked...but it's been a week.

Can anyone who received an interview please provide a timeline in terms of their completion date and interview invite? I was marked complete 10/27 and am really hoping for an interview.:cool:

OOS, 3.75cGPA, 3.6bcpm, 27 mcat

Can anyone who received an interview please provide a timeline in terms of their completion date and interview invite? I was marked complete 10/27 and am really hoping for an interview.:cool:

OOS, 3.75cGPA, 3.6bcpm, 27 mcat

I'd appreciate the same info lol...complete 10/14...OOS 3.4 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA, 28 MCAT

I would not worry much about it. I think the admissions office is still juggling with all the delays from the new online secondary application. If you think of it as a line. Your still in the same place as you would have been in previous application cycles, it just the line took an extra month to start moving.

If it helps you feel better, I have similar stats to you guys and I am IS (complete mid September) and I have yet to get an interview invite.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not worry much about it. I think the admissions office is still juggling with all the delays from the new online secondary application. If you think of it as a line. Your still in the same place as you would have been in previous application cycles, it just the line took an extra month to start moving.

If it helps you feel better, I have similar stats to you guys and I am IS (complete mid September) and I have yet to get an interview invite.

I was complete mid September as well (9/18 to be exact) and still haven't heard back. This line is moving extra slow. This is my obvious first choice school, and I hope to hear back soon! (Got a feeling, people who applied in september should be hearing back in the next 3 weeks - hope my feeling is right).

Reactions: 1 users

ah dang, thank you for the reply. Hope it works out for all of us!

anybody know acceptance rate post interview? I know this was asked before but didn't see an answer.

ACCEPTED :)!!!!! I LOVE this school and I couldn't find a single flaw.

IS
PM me if you want more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
ACCEPTED :)!!!!! I LOVE this school and I couldn't find a single flaw.

IS
PM me if you want more info.
Congratz! I saw you in the Touro forum too, I think we interviewed on the same day. Would you mind telling me when you were complete at Rowan and how long b/w that and ur II? Im rly anxious about this school since im IS too =) congratz again!

I interviewed yesterday, got the acceptance call later in the afternoon. I was absolutely blown away by this school and I can't wait to be a student here next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Dear Fellow Recently Accepted,

Did they say anything about when you can file your deposit and forms? I know they have a deadline of 12/15, and was looking to make it electronic.

I'm excited by all the love around this school. Go RowanSOM!

II today however the only available date is this Friday as per the calendar on the amp site...literally nothing listed in December, January, February....anyone else have this issue?

II today however the only available date is this Friday as per the calendar on the amp site...literally nothing listed in December, January, February....anyone else have this issue?

would you mind sharing when you were complete?

Congrats!

Did they contact you for the ii via phone or email? The FAQ's section of their online system says that they contact for ii using email, but I've seen people on here say that they were contacted by phone. Just curious as to how they've been contacting for ii's lately.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Did they contact you for the ii via phone or email? The FAQ's section of their online system says that they contact for ii using email, but I've seen people on here say that they were contact by phone. Just curious as to how they've been contacting for ii's lately.

Last cycle i received a call and then got an email confirming the agreed upon date and time...this was pre-electronic portal though but I would think they would still call you.

Last cycle i received a call and then got an email confirming the agreed upon date and time...this was pre-electronic portal though but I would think they would still call you.
II's (for me anyway) was electronic using the Zap portal.

Congrats!

Did they contact you for the ii via phone or email? The FAQ's section of their online system says that they contact for ii using email, but I've seen people on here say that they were contacted by phone. Just curious as to how they've been contacting for ii's lately.

I only received an email, no phone call

Sigh... 10/6 complete.. Heard nothing so far..

Was complete back in august and still haven't heard anything from Rowan SOM yet.

Did any of you guys apply to both MD and DO schools in the Rowan health system? I've only gotten an II from cooper, and now I'm worried that double dipping might've ruined my chances with Rowan SOM, even though I'd be happy as a student at either of the schools. Has anyone gotten an II from both schools?

Was complete back in august and still haven't heard anything from Rowan SOM yet.

Did any of you guys apply to both MD and DO schools in the Rowan health system? I've only gotten an II from cooper, and now I'm worried that double dipping might've ruined my chances with Rowan SOM, even though I'd be happy as a student at either of the schools. Has anyone gotten an II from both schools?
Process is completely separate. Neither school is involved in the others admissions process

How long did it take you guys to get ii? I've been complete since 10/15 but I haven't heard of anything :(

Just got an II! Scheduled for December 5th. OOS, 3.3, 35, complete since July...

My only worry about Rowan is the high OOS tuition. Students in New York have said that there, if you make sure you don't live in a dorm and get your own lease in your name, NY driver's license, etc, then there's hope you can switch to in-state tuition after your first year. Is that the case with New Jersey or are they more strict?

My only worry about Rowan is the high OOS tuition. Students in New York have said that there, if you make sure you don't live in a dorm and get your own lease in your name, NY driver's license, etc, then there's hope you can switch to in-state tuition after your first year. Is that the case with New Jersey or are they more strict?

http://www.rowan.edu/som/education/admissions/faq.html

Near the bottom it states "Out of state residents are to pay out of state tuition continually for all four years of medical school." I know they used to allow students to pay IS tuition after establishing residency (as recently as two years ago), but not anymore.

Is anyome staying at hampton inn tonight and wants to meet for dinner. PM me.

Has anyone who interviewed yesterday heard back?

nothing here, I'm thinking waitlist/rejection :(
They actually don't reject if you have interviewed, I was told this by admissions. But check the portal, mine was updated with the waitlist notice at least a week before I got the letter in the mail. Good luck!

They actually don't reject if you have interviewed, I was told this by admissions. But check the portal, mine was updated with the waitlist notice at least a week before I got the letter in the mail. Good luck!

Under the "communication status" tab?