Star WWars III Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, 1 problem I would see with "convert or die" being the normal is that eventually it would "clear" certain people from being converts since it would be assumed they would not convert (eg LIS). So if you are left at end game it would isolate who the potential wolves are even more.

I don't know that that's a "problem" inasmuch as it adds another layer of strategy. From the wolves' side you have to consider who would convert. From the villagers' side you also have to consider it. And from the individual player's side, you get to consider what your metagame reputation is and how that would play into whether you want to accept or not. If anything it can give a little leverage to the wolves if they make a really good choice and manage to convince someone to convert who has a rep for not converting. (I vaguely recall that in some cases wolves were allowed to send a message with the conversion, which took some strategic thinking - what to tell someone without giving away information that might get you caught but might usefully convince someone to convert, etc.)

Nowadays people just call it "conversions". It's notable that more common language a few years ago was "conversion attempts".

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No. Even at the end, I had you down as maybe ask-a-mod.

We pretty much had no clue who anyone was. I had LOtF down as vanilla and was mostly ignoring her.

Yayyyyyy
I figured sharing my ability with anyone was basically a big ol' target since you couldn't convert without me knowing. Though, until Teep died I didn't think my ability was really that useful because I didn't know that being able to kill and convert on the same night could be a thing (wasnt in the noob game or the immuno game and those are the only ones ive really followed so far)

And you started with even fewer :laugh:. To everyone else - the messages and BBC/other Force users talking to the Force after death was @kcoughli's suggestion. She gets the credit for most of that role.
I threw so many ability augmentations at you guys, I was so psyched when you finally went for one :D
Edit: have to give credit to the fiancee for that though, when I told him Obi Wan had died his immediate response was "so then he becomes one with the Force right?" And my mind exploded and I had to try it

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the first time I've made it to endgame :nailbiting:

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, @LadyOtheFarm why didn't you seer me?! I was counting on that lol.
Because you wanted it so bad. I felt like it was a trap. I wasn't sure if by announcing it, you would be tracked and I would be seen and known or what the trap was, but it felt fishy. Plus I had seered genny N1, felt like she might have been a wolf (was blocked by a prison), seered our mayor N2, and genny again N3. Then I needed someone to talk to and I was leaning wolf on you as soon as you role revealed. The pleas were right, but the role wasn't.

VMH was N3, so I could verify, since nobody really told me enough to feel 100% on villager status when I PM'd them about you, to trust that they really were village. And then I just dove into telling her what was up once verified. Obviously, I had to wait a day on the genny lynch because you were on the docket first.

Plus I had seered genny N1, felt like she might have been a wolf (was blocked by a prison), seered our mayor N2

Genny is so much always wolf that you seer her before the mayor.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, you were the only Stormtrooper in the Empire :rolleyes:

Oh that's why we won. If we were all stormtroopers, we would have everyone lynch a wolf (eg Teep lynch) and somehow he would still be alive :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
Oh that's why we won. If we were all stormtroopers, we would have everyone lynch a wolf (eg Teep lynch) and somehow he would still be alive :laugh:
Hey now, don't you keep making fun of my stormtrooper role :p I was very good at following orders I'll have you know and I stopped an attack on LIS. 'This ain't the First Order'

Reactions: 1 users
Hey now, don't you keep making fun of my stormtrooper role :p I was very good at following orders I'll have you know and I stopped an attack on LIS. 'This ain't the First Order'
The storm trooper protection was the one thing I never mentioned that was done to me. Keeping protectors safe is so important, I didn't want to give any clues that could help some one locate you.

Genny is so much always wolf that you seer her before the mayor.
She messaged me first. I was choosing between her, PBC, and VMH for finding a buddy. I wasn't thinking wolf until I seered the second time.

The storm trooper protection was the one thing I never mentioned that was done to me. Keeping protectors safe is so important, I didn't want to give any clues that could help some one locate you.
Same, did not want to be the one to give that one away! There was a moment last night that I thought dy might have been the one converted, and I almost gave myself a panic attack.

Sorry for also being cagey with my role at times (like those questions about the "tracking item" that I opted to ignore... ). Huge props to LIS for releasing the teepster info in as sneaky a way as possible.

Thank you, @Zensing and @Lupin21 for a really fun time!! I'm officially hooked -- when's the next one?

On spectator chat, STL correctly identified genny, teep, and Nessy as wolves (he actually said 1-2 wolves in that group, but they were all in one group) the day after BBC was lynched the second time.

He also called one wolf from the me / Caia / hmoo group.

So STL clearly wins spectator chat. But I'm going to take it as a win that he gave me some benefit of the doubt.
Ah just what I needed, an ego boost!

With regards to LIS's comment on conversion attempts, I am all for it if it's not a kill or die situation. If it's a kill or die situation, it would make me target, as a wolf, those that won't convert, early in games, this way they aren't trouble towards end game ("well obviously they aren't a wolf because they would rather die before converting"). It's fine if you won't do that, but you are putting a target on your back earlier in the game, and I feel like that's not fair to players that generally don't like to be converted.

Ah just what I needed, an ego boost!

With regards to LIS's comment on conversion attempts, I am all for it if it's not a kill or die situation. If it's a kill or die situation, it would make me target, as a wolf, those that won't convert, early in games, this way they aren't trouble towards end game ("well obviously they aren't a wolf because they would rather die before converting"). It's fine if you won't do that, but you are putting a target on your back earlier in the game, and I feel like that's not fair to players that generally don't like to be converted.

I dunno, STL, that's not really the way it played out the times it HAS been an option. At least, I never had a problem with it, and I'm probably one of the people that is known for hating being converted the most. I mean, I see your point in theory, but in practice it didn't seem to work that way.

That said, I personally prefer just straight-up choice rather than convert-or-die. I like that it makes the decision more high-stakes for the wolves.

I dunno, STL, that's not really the way it played out the times it HAS been an option. At least, I never had a problem with it, and I'm probably one of the people that is known for hating being converted the most. I mean, I see your point in theory, but in practice it didn't seem to work that way.

That said, I personally prefer just straight-up choice rather than convert-or-die. I like that it makes the decision more high-stakes for the wolves.
I'm still with @BeautifulBritishColumbia on this one. Some players develop a reputation for always refusing conversion attempts, which narrows the potential wolf pool even faster.

I know you suggested that some wolves could be convincing enough to get them to switch, but why would a player with a no-conversion reputation risk that for the sake of one game? They'll never be able to play that card again.

I'm part of the group of players that would probably choose not to convert. It's a good thing that I'm occasionally forced to change allegiances.

I'm still with @BeautifulBritishColumbia on this one. Some players develop a reputation for always refusing conversion attempts, which narrows the potential wolf pool even faster.

I know you suggested that some wolves could be convincing enough to get them to switch, but why would a player with a no-conversion reputation risk that for the sake of one game? They'll never be able to play that card again.

I'm part of the group of players that would probably choose not to convert. It's a good thing that I'm occasionally forced to change allegiances.

Eh. Kinda like with STL's point, that is a valid concern but it didn't really play out like that when it was more common. And even if it did - so what? It isn't a bad thing to make conversion a little less potent.

I imagine it would also lead to some interesting things with wolf kill strategy.

Play it straight - if there is a player still alive who has a reputation for never, ever agreeing to conversion, better kill that player.
Or get fancy - Everyone knows they have that reputation, and so the wolves should kill them, so instead the wolves leave them alive to **** with the villagers' heads and possibly get them lynched. Wouldn't be the first time someone who should be clear got lynched due to paranoia about them living too long.

I imagine it would also lead to some interesting things with wolf kill strategy.

Play it straight - if there is a player still alive who has a reputation for never, ever agreeing to conversion, better kill that player.
Or get fancy - Everyone knows they have that reputation, and so the wolves should kill them, so instead the wolves leave them alive to **** with the villagers' heads and possibly get them lynched. Wouldn't be the first time someone who should be clear got lynched due to paranoia about them living too long.
Nah. Just kill'em. Means they aren't any fun. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Also huge shoutout to @BeautifulBritishColumbia for giving me hard reminder about how I should never trust anyone. I was so dang happy to have a "pseudomentor" I told her practically everything. I was legitimately shocked when she flipped wolf. She played me hard ahahah.

Reactions: 11 users