The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well for you, you can do an informal post bacc and retake a ton of classes but im not sure how many credits you have so that may end up taking you a year or more. It will prob cost less than a DO smp but chances are if you do well in a DO smp youll get in somewhere. Leecom offers guaranteed linkage and all you have to do is maintain a 3.0 with a 23 mcat in their program. LMU pretty much takes most of their post bacs from what ive heard and they even count the anatomy credit you do in their SMP so you wouldnt have to do it in med school. There are a ton of others.

I think even though your gpa is pretty low with that 35 mcat youd still get into an SMP but im not sure honestly. Youd have to email the schools and ask them.

Doing an informal post bacc could be good too but theres less guarantee, and it could translate to more time.

In theory both have their advantages/disadvantages.

I looked up LECOM's requirements for their post bacc, and they require at least a 2.7 :(

I wonder if there's even anywhere that will accept my 2.4

Members don't see this ad.

I looked up LECOM's requirements for their post bacc, and they require at least a 2.7 :(

I wonder if there's even anywhere that will accept my 2.4
Just use grade replacement for the F's that you have. One semester at a community college and you'd be set.

Junk-
What are the bad grades in? I missed it. It does solid like taking advantage of AACOM's grade replacement would be the easiest way to bring your gpa's up. So you don't get in this year, you'll be able to apply next year with confidence, an who knows, maybe with a choice...

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't taking any slams at SGU, but the carrib in general. The thing is most pre-med students don't realize the Mt. Everest of a mountain that some carib med students will face... Sure there are some that end up going good places, but in general it is a bad situation. Anyways, back to underdogs..

I wasn't defending any school, just saying be educated on what you're getting yourself in to, and good point, back to underdogs..

Junk-
What are the bad grades in? I missed it. It does solid like taking advantage of AACOM's grade replacement would be the easiest way to bring your gpa's up. So you don't get in this year, you'll be able to apply next year with confidence, an who knows, maybe with a choice...

Bio 1 lvl B-
Bio 2 lvl C
Chem 1 D
Chem 2 C
Ochem 1 D
Ochem 2 C
Physics 1 C
Physics 2 C

Would it be enough to just retake Chem 1, Ochem 1, Phys1 and get A's in all of them? Or do I actually have to retake everything here? Would that really be a better option than doing a SMP somewhere (if anyone would accept me that is)

Bio 1 lvl B-
Bio 2 lvl C
Chem 1 D
Chem 2 C
Ochem 1 D
Ochem 2 C
Physics 1 C
Physics 2 C

Would it be enough to just retake Chem 1, Ochem 1, Phys1 and get A's in all of them? Or do I actually have to retake everything here? Would that really be a better option than doing a SMP somewhere (if anyone would accept me that is)

Retake them all. Lots of cs. That only looks good on a lovely set of hooters

Retake them all. Lots of cs. That only looks good on a lovely set of hooters

Lol ok. Do you think I can replace my C in Bio 2 with a good grade from my upper level classes? For example, I got an A in a bacterial pathogen class, B in advanced immunology, B- in Biochem 2. Would any of these replace my C in Bio 2?

Also more generally, after retaking all of these and assuming I get mostly A's will DO schools only consider these grades? Or will my crappy 2.4 undergrad gpa still hold me down?

Lol ok. Do you think I can replace my C in Bio 2 with a good grade from my upper level classes? For example, I got an A in a bacterial pathogen class, B in advanced immunology, B- in Biochem 2. Would any of these replace my C in Bio 2?

Also more generally, after retaking all of these and assuming I get mostly A's will DO schools only consider these grades? Or will my crappy 2.4 undergrad gpa still hold me down?

Uh no? They aren't the same class? Your 2.4 won't even get you a sniff anywhere. You need to do grade replacement

Uh no? They aren't the same class? Your 2.4 won't even get you a sniff anywhere. You need to do grade replacement

Im confused, is grade replacement not the same as retaking all those classes? What do you mean?

Bio 1 lvl B-
Bio 2 lvl C
Chem 1 D
Chem 2 C
Ochem 1 D
Ochem 2 C
Physics 1 C
Physics 2 C

Just retake the classes. You can probably do all those classes in 1 year (fall, spring, summer).

Can't replace a grade unless you retake the same class or an equivalent class. I applied broadly with a 2.65 and a 28 (plus I'm a URM) and didn't get an interview in 2010. Stats are up since then so I doubt a 2.4 is going to work.

A 2.4 won't get you in anywhere even the Caribbean

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a 2.6 and a 29 MCAT getting in to SGU, they just want that tuition money, to a certain point..

Maybe so, but I think it's better to spend a year getting your GPA above 3.0 then applying to US DO schools.

Maybe so, but I think it's better to spend a year getting your GPA above 3.0 then applying to US DO schools.

I dont understand how grade replacement works. Does that mean DO schools will only look at the grades after I retake the classes (assuming I do a lot better)? Even if I retake all the classes I will not be at a 3.0 due to the large number of credits I already have

I dont understand how grade replacement works. Does that mean DO schools will only look at the grades after I retake the classes (assuming I do a lot better)? Even if I retake all the classes I will not be at a 3.0 due to the large number of credits I already have

How many credits have you taken? I had 121, replaced 18, and added 12 more and my sGPA went from a 2.65 to a 3.22.

Only the newest grade gets calculated into your GPA. All of your grades are seen, however.

A 2.4 will automatically get you screened out; meaning the rest of your application won't even get looked at. You need to get your GPA high enough so that a human actually looks at it.

Only the newest grade gets calculated into your GPA. All of your grades are seen, however.

A 2.4 will automatically get you screened out; meaning the rest of your application won't even get looked at. You need to get your GPA high enough so that a human actually looks at it.

So basically there's no point in retaking everything if I STILL wont get a look :(

So basically there's no point in retaking everything if I STILL wont get a look :(

Based on your past posts I don't think you've actually done the calculations to know what your new GPA will be. Have you?

Yup it will be a 2.66 if I get all A's

I find it very hard to believe that your GPA will only jump 0.26 points if you replace 32 C&D credits with 32 A credits.. How many total credits do you have?

I would kill to be able to retake classes at my ugrad. Unfortunately, they won't let me retake cause I got a c so I passed. No time or money to retake somewhere else. Oh well

I find it very hard to believe that your GPA will only jump 0.26 points if you replace 32 C&D credits with 32 A credits.. How many total credits do you have?
I also find it hard to believe. I have a very high unit count because I didn't do my prerequisites during undergrad, and if I were to replace 32 units, I'd go up at least 0.40 on my cGPA (starting from >3.0). If junkfoosow really cannot break that 2.7 for the LECOM post-bacc, it would be wise to apply Caribbean.

I also find it hard to believe. I have a very high unit count because I didn't do my prerequisites during undergrad, and if I were to replace 32 units, I'd go up at least 0.40 on my cGPA (starting from >3.0). If junkfoosow really cannot break that 2.7 for the LECOM post-bacc, it would be wise to apply Caribbean.

I did a little more thinking about this, and perhaps it isn't a 1:1 ratio, but I replaced approximately 10% of my total credits with As (prior grades were a mix of C, C-, and D) plus some new credits (15% of my prior total) and my GPA went up 0.57 points.

So for someone to replace 32 credits and only go up 0.26 points, that means he must have about 500 credits... Right?

Are DO post bacc's generally easier to get into? Do you know which programs would accept my stats? This seems like a legitimate option. Also, does successfully completing the program give you a seat in the DO school?

sorry for the noob questions :)

I'm planning on attending LMU's post bacc starting July so let me know if you have questions. :)

Im confused, is grade replacement not the same as retaking all those classes? What do you mean?

Grade replacement is retaking the same course. It's a semi-surefire way to boost your gpa up. Doing better in upper level courses is integral, but with a 2.4 you're below the cut offs for all medical schools in the States. Carribean might give you an acceptance, but also give you at tops 20% chance of getting into a residency tops in the years to come as by ~2018 there will not be enough residencies for DO and MD students.

I did a little more thinking about this, and perhaps it isn't a 1:1 ratio, but I replaced approximately 10% of my total credits with As (prior grades were a mix of C, C-, and D) plus some new credits (15% of my prior total) and my GPA went up 0.57 points.

So for someone to replace 32 credits and only go up 0.26 points, that means he must have about 500 credits... Right?

I have a 2.4 GPA with 144 credits = 345.6 grade points.

My calculated grade points for my bad pre reqs = 52.8 at 28 credits
So assuming I replace them with all A's my grade points= 112

So subtracting the original bad grades 345.6 - 52.8= 292.8
Adding my replacement grades 292.8 + 112 = 404.8

404.8/144 credits = 2.81

so I was wrong 2.81 not 2.66 but still...am I calculating something wrong here?

get a 2.8 go to lecoms post bac, which im sure youll get in with a 35 and win at life. I could be wrong but a lot of good DO post bacs take a ton of students that are under 3.0 or barely 3.0; people that they find have some kind of potential.

404.8/144 credits = 2.81

Call LECOM and explain to them your situation. I have had multiple conversations with Dr. Ron from admissions at LECOM-B and the man is the most helpful I have ever met. With the 35, they will want to play ball, trust me.

Yeah, and the nice thing about leecom's post bacc is not only is way cheaper than other SMPs it's also guaranteed acceptance with low requirements. All you need is a 3.0 in the program. I think it could be golden for someone like you. Honestly if i dont get in this cycle it's prob what ill do.

cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.28
MCAT: 21 on first practice test :( taking July 6th.

but I am a KY resident applying to UP-KYCOM so hopefully even if I get a 21 I'll still get an interview atleast...

cGPA 3.5
sGPA 3.28
MCAT: 21 on first practice test :( taking July 6th.

but I am a KY resident applying to UP-KYCOM so hopefully even if I get a 21 I'll still get an interview atleast...

what are you studying with? You need to fix that

I finished my content review (6 weeks worth with note-taking) last week. I took my first practice test, AAMC 3R and got a 6/8/7 -- B/V/PS.

I felt very comfortable with the material, but I think I am just not used to the style of the MCAT yet. Hoping my scores will go up as I continue to take practice tests. :xf:

Definitely an underdog...

Sgpa-3.1
Cgpa-3.1
Highest mcat- 20S (out of three scores others are 20R and 16S)

Feeling kinda hopeless about tackling admissions this year unless my mcat shoots up 10+ points.

Call LECOM and explain to them your situation. I have had multiple conversations with Dr. Ron from admissions at LECOM-B and the man is the most helpful I have ever met. With the 35, they will want to play ball, trust me.

agreed. I spoke with Mr. Murphy and he was so amazing. Actually sent me a 3 pg email on what I should do.
LMU's Dr. Stump is also SUPER SUPER helpful.

404.8/144 credits = 2.81

A 0.41 increase sounds reasonable. I had a 0.57 increase, but I also only had 121 credits.

A 2.81 is much better than a 2.4, and as others have said your 35 MCAT will really help you.

Sgpa-3.1
Cgpa-3.1

Feeling kinda hopeless about tackling admissions this year unless my mcat shoots up 10+ points.

Don't bother applying this cycle until you can fix your work ethic and your mcat by finding out whats holding you back on the mcat and taking care of it. Again not trying to be an *******, but with a 3.1 and 20 you're basically throwing money away man. You can be a doctor but it's going to take time and work two things you need to start giving more of asap.

oh and use tbr and use TPR for bio and watch as many lectures as you can to supplement. Also do tons of passages, invest in the TPRH science workbook. Don't use EK for bio in your case you need a better understanding. I wish you good luk.

Sgpa-3.1
Cgpa-3.1

Why do you think you're scoring so low? It isn't the end of the world, albeit it going to be an uphill battle, but one applicant I know of ( Noshie) managed to get in with similar experience. She got a 27 on her 5th try and did a masters program to help redeem herself though.
But anyway in regard to the mcat, don't you dare take it without investing at least 90 days into studying ( the 90-120 day sn2 method - which can be found in the mcat subforum).

What good will that do though? If I call him up and have a good conversation, do you think he would get me into their post-bacc?

Thanks for all the advice everyone, its greatly appreciated.

I think I'm gonna have to find a post-bacc program that will accept me. LECOM seems like a sweet deal but I have questions to whether they will accept me (and thats assuming I DO get straight A's in my 28 retake credits :()

I can't seem to find any post-bacc programs that are a little easier for acceptance. Ideally I'd like to go straight into post bacc without retaking ALL 28 credits but it may not be possible idk

I think I'm gonna have to find a post-bacc program that will accept me. LECOM seems like a sweet deal but I have questions to whether they will accept me (and thats assuming I DO get straight A's in my 28 retake credits :()

I can't seem to find any post-bacc programs that are a little easier for acceptance. Ideally I'd like to go straight into post bacc without retaking ALL 28 credits but it may not be possible idk
I can almost say to you for a fact that none will accept you with a 2.4. You need to do open enrollment or go to a community college. Once you hit that 2.75, I think the Osteopathic programs will play ball.

You can just retake the courses in a CC without having to pay the high costs of a post-bacc program.

You can just retake the courses in a CC without having to pay the high costs of a post-bacc program.
Most people will jump and say it's preferable at a 4-year. I agree. However, I still think CC can do the trick because the 35 shows mastery of the sciences.

And now that I think about it I think he should apply to the three new osteopathic programs. I doubt they'll have the screen. He might squeak by because they'd be willing to take a GPA hit for a 35 on file.