The Official August 7, 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
107 days out! Who all is signed up to obliterate the MCAT August 7th?

I know it's a bit early but I searched and could not find another August 7th, 2014 MCAT thread! I am hoping that we can keep each other motivated this summer while studying...

I am starting a slightly modified SN2ed schedule May 7th.... slightly modified due to my incredible weakness with physics. I am not taking physics 2 before the MCAT and therefore will be self-teaching it.

Looking forward to hearing from some of y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel for all of you. I'm in the exact same position. I honestly don't know what to do :(
View attachment 185338

grAeizZ.jpg

Lol, everyone faces a challenge at some point buddy. Some day you will too. Hopefully that'll be a maturing experience for you.

Reactions: 7 users
Well guys, I got a 35 (12PS/11VR/12BS).

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tiny bit disappointed scoring 4 points from my average (~39), but I am grateful. I suffer from severe anxiety and I think the test really got to me.

BUT HEY, I GOT A NICE, BEAUTIFUL BALANCED SCORE AND I AM HAPPY! :)

No. You got a 41.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ohh wait.... is it the black guy in the background giving the finger? yeah that's not a funny joke at all. total a hole move. nice first post, dick.

Reactions: 1 users
ohh wait.... is it the black guy in the background giving the finger? yeah that's not a funny joke at all. total dingus move. nice first post, dick.

It was a joke. Not a classy one I admit..but still a joke. Welcome to the internets.

Test date: 8/7/13 (2PM)
score: (PS/V/BS): 38 (13/13/12)

This is a huge improvement from my previous score of
(PS/V/BS): 31 (11/10/10)

This is quite unbelievable, considering how I bawled my eyes out after the retake with certainty that I had completely botched the bio section on the retake. For some reason it had always been my worst section (consequences of not being a bio major perhaps?) but really I had never seen a bio section quite that difficult and literally had a panic attack for pretty much the entirety of the bio section. By the end I was just stabbing at random answers with blood pounding in my ears.

Congratulations everyone, and good luck on the next application cycle!

Test Date: 08/07/2014
Time: 2PM
FL AAMC Average: 9/9/11
Post-test expected score: no idea
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): (10/9/8)
I always ran out of time for PS and V on the AAMC practice tests, but I was counting on BS...:(
I ran out of time for all the sections on the real test, so I want to focus on pacing and then retake the test in January. (Gahhhh...Why is the MCAT so expensive? :( )
I'm so sad that I missed 5-6 easy questions on PS and BS. I could've done better..........

I love you all. So glad I signed up for this test date and got to go through this journey with you guys!! :biglove:

That being said... regardless of how you did and difficult as it may be, try to forget about it for tonight and LET'S DRINK!!! :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
I was definitely preparing to be disappointed today.. BUT:

FL AAMC Average: 25 (highest was a 27)
Post-test expected score: 25ish
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 29! (8/11/10)

Literally screamed with joy when I saw my score... This test was the death of me. I had such a difficult time studying, and every time I got a 25 on a practice exam I was more demoralized. But I stuck with it, went in to test day and I nailed it! For everyone who didn't get the score they wanted today... DO NOT
GIVE UP! Don't let this test define you. I am proof that if you go in there and do your best you can do great things! (I realize this isn't an amazing score like some of y'all getting 30+ - kudos to you! - but it is a huge accomplishment for me!)

Congrats to everyone - at the end of the day you accomplished something great just by taking this beast!

Reactions: 6 users
So disappointed right now :/ (new here)

First time test taker and I'm just wondering if you all think I should retake.

AAMC average 27
Highest: 29
2pm test: 27 (PS 9/ VR 8/ BS 10)

I don't really have that much time this semester to put in the amount of extra work required, but I feel like I have to retake this test because the score sucks. Oh and some additional information is that my sGPA is between a 3.0-3.1 (upward trend; ended freshman year with a 2.5 due to problems I had) and I'm a URM. I am also definitely applying to DO, but I am taking a gap year to work and/or attend a SMP or post-bacc. Thoughts? Thanks and congratulations to everyone who got a great score! :)

That would be awesome! Where are you applying?

I'm from Ontario, so U Ottawa, U Toronto, Queens, McMaster and Western (however the last two need 11 minimum for verbal so I guess I'll be rejected there...). Out of province: UBC and McGill (undergrad school).

I'm also applying to some reach schools in the US (Yale, Columbia, Penn, etc.) but I don't know how these will go now because I sort of applied hoping I'd score a 37 o_O

You? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from Ontario, so U Ottawa, U Toronto, Queens, McMaster and Western (however the last two need 11 minimum for verbal so I guess I'll be rejected there...). Out of province: UBC and McGill (undergrad school).

I'm also applying to some reach schools in the US (Yale, Columbia, Penn, etc.) but I don't know how these will go now because I sort of applied hoping I'd score a 37 o_O

You? :D

I'm from Alberta, so U Alberta, U Calgary... also U Toronto, Ottawa, Queens, McMaster (may as well after getting through that f****** OMSAS application). We could very well be classmates!! Make sure you keep in touch. :D

Anyways, doesn't take a rocket scientist to simply use paint or even simpler: google chrome > inspect element > edit text box > screenshot.

Been a lurker on this thread for awhile

Diagnostic: AAMC3 - 16
FL AAMC avg: 27
2pm test
Predicted: felt like 24 post test but I still had belief my avg
Real thing: 27 PS: 9 VR:10 BS: 8

Dont know how I do so bad in bio my scores were a flip flop compared to all the practice tests.

I don't even know what to say! I wanted to make up for my verbal by milking my sciences and it worked!!! I dont know if its too late to apply this cycle tho..
upload_2014-9-9_20-15-22.png

I'm one of the people he crapped on but I laughed. Gotta pay the troll toll.

I still hope he gets hit by a bus though.

Reactions: 10 users
FL AAMC Average: 28 (always higher in verbal)
Post-test expected score: 27ish
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 33! (11/11/11)

The first time I took the MCAT, I scored a 25 (6/11/8), so I am beyond relieved and grateful for this score. I just spent the summer without taking classes or really enjoying the weather, but going through the Berkeley Review books comprehensively. It feels good that it paid off.

Reactions: 6 users
Oh **** I got an 11/14/11=36!!! WTF I thought I got an 8 on bio and physics. I'm registered for the exam on 10/21 but I guess I can cancel, get a partial refund, and sell those ******* expensive prep materials on Amazon! Wow.
AWESOME!!!
AND OMG YOUR VERBAL SCORE IS JUST AMAZING!

Can you please share how you studied for verbal??

Been a lurker on this thread for awhile

Diagnostic: AAMC3 - 16
FL AAMC avg: 27
2pm test
Predicted: felt like 24 post test but I still had belief my avg
Real thing: 27 PS: 9 VR:10 BS: 8

Dont know how I do so bad in bio my scores were a flip flop compared to all the practice tests.
Same here....I got 10-12's on the BS practice tests, so I have no idea how I got an 8....So sad......I did randomly guess on one entire passage b/c I ran out of time, though. How about you?

FL AAMC Average: 30
Post-test expected score: 27-29
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 30 (10/11/9)

Kind of disappointed to be honest... I know I scored above my post-test expected score but I really under-performed in physics. I was averaging 12 toward the end of my tests and I'm worried now about having a 9 in bio without a strong physics/verbal to pick it up. I would have been so much happier with 12/11/9.

Honestly not sure what to do and whether to retake. It seems ridiculous considering my average but I had a good upward trend and I'm taking organic and micro I now so that will help my bio portion a lot.

I just feel really bleh.

i wouldn't retake
but its your call.

Time: 8 am
FL AAMC Average: 32
Post-test expected score: less than 29
Actual Score (PS/V/BS): 30 (10/10/10)

Ecstatic. Will be attending Jefferson next year.

Reactions: 2 users
Time: 8AM
FL AAMC Average: 31.25
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 38 : 9/10/11

Edit: formatting

wait.. I REALLLY don't wanna be that girl.. but you meant 30 right?

tumblr_inline_n5da6l8XOQ1rzzxom.gif

To the person saying they have nothing to show that's not true. You spent time building the foundation. You did bad on one test. Build on your foundation. You don't have to start from the beginning. A block in the road will only strength your conviction.

Test date: 8/7/2014
Time: 2 pm
AAMC average: 32.6
Post test expected score: 30-31
Actual score: 12/9/14=35

FL AAMC Average: 28
Post-test expected score: 20 (6/7/7)
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 28 (11/8/9)

I know it's not hugely popular to be happy with a sub-30 score (hats off to all you 30-plus-ers out there by the way. You earned it!) But I'm actually thrilled with this score. I applied mostly DO, and I have strong EC's and a solid gpa, so I think I have a shot. Mostly just happy not to retake.

Reactions: 4 users
i like a good troll post as much as any other guy. in fact, if you take a good look at some of my posts from earlier this year (before i actually got serious and started mcat studying) i even threw down some trolling. and people fed me. but it wasn't as mildly insulting as this guy's.

Out of curiosity, anyone surprised by their score in a given section considering questions you know you missed. What I'm trying to get at is, do you think the "curve" or "scale" is a little bit more lenient than AAMC or would you say it's on par? Doubt anyone would answer, but I'm curious to know! :)

i like a good troll post as much as any other guy. in fact, if you take a good look at some of my posts from earlier this year (before i actually got serious and started mcat studying) i even threw down some trolling. and people fed me. but it wasn't as mildly insulting as this guy's.

Eh, I'm not impressed. Many of us could have thrown up 40's with a whole summer to study, and the right prereq's done shortly beforehand. I've been out of college for 6 years, studied for a month, and put up a 34. I'll take it. That kid is going to have a hell of a time doing rotations and residency, if he maintains that kind of attitude. Working people can smell an overconfident douche from a mile away.

Out of curiosity, anyone surprised by their score in a given section considering questions you know you missed. What I'm trying to get at is, do you think the "curve" or "scale" is a little bit more lenient than AAMC or would you say it's on par? Doubt anyone would answer, but I'm curious to know! :)

The curve makes literally no sense to me. I was sure I bombed PS and never sunk to near 7s on BS and VR, in fact VR my scores were 12, 11, 10, 10, 9 in some order. The curve, to me was very generous on PS and utterly crushing elsewhere.

Eh, I'm not impressed. Many of us could have thrown up 40's with a whole summer to study, and the right prereq's done shortly beforehand. I've been out of college for 6 years, studied for a month, and put up a 34. I'll take it. That kid is going to have a hell of a time doing rotations and residency, if he maintains that kind of attitude. Working people can smell an overconfident douche from a mile away.

He registered today and that's pretty easy to photoshop so...

Test date: August 7th
Time: 2 pm
AAMC FL: 30-35 (Avg. 33.2)
Post-test estimate: 32-34 (12-14/10-11/10-11)
Actual: 39 (14/12/13)

So stoked! What a fluke! I thought the exam was so difficult. Really blown away by my verbal - I only got one 12 on my practice FLs. Thanks to everyone for your support and advice! It's been quite a taxing and challenging journey. To those retaking or taking at a later test, best of luck!

Eh, I'm not impressed. Many of us could have thrown up 40's with a whole summer to study, and the right prereq's done shortly beforehand. I've been out of college for 6 years, studied for a month, and put up a 34. I'll take it. That kid is going to have a hell of a time doing rotations and residency, if he maintains that attitude.
Right. I'm 15 years out of some of my prereqs, studied alone for two months with some weekends last school year, and got a 31, a point better than my goal. Not good enough for some, but I'll wear it like a badge of honor. I'm sure if I wanted to work longer, I could throw up bigger numbers, but with a 3.84, the leadership experience of being a teacher for three years and Texas residency, I got what I needed. Here's hoping one of my five medical schools I'm applying to this year wants me. If not, I'll expand the net and be all ready for next year. :cool:

I second this question. How do people "bomb" passages and still get 14s? Even if I understood every passage and every question, getting just 1-2 wrong is difficult to do.

On the AAMC FLs, oftentimes 1 question wrong = 14. 2-3 Questions wrong and you're already looking at 13.

ive said it before. they definitely give you a break with scoring. i know at least 4 or 5 i missed in bio and a handful more i was unsure of and they still threw me a 12. and my verbal was sooo hard, i didn't understand a single passage and they still gave me a 10.

ive said it before. they definitely give you a break with scoring. i know at least 4 or 5 i missed in bio and a handful more i was unsure of and they still threw me a 12. and my verbal was sooo hard, i didn't understand a single passage and they still gave me a 10.
I'll trade your July 34 for my 31...

Yeah ... no. Sorry bud. Most of the residents grading you for MS-3 are trads who won't take your supposed superiority very well. Sorry I didn't have to work some ****ty job for 5 years before figuring out the best career. Have fun becoming an attending when you're close to getting Medicare.
God, I know you're a troll and you're still a huge douche. If you're anything like this in real life have fun having every one of your colleagues hate you

Yeah ... no. Sorry bud. Most of the residents grading you for MS-3 are trads who won't take your supposed superiority very well. Sorry I didn't have to work some ****ty job for 5 years before figuring out the best career. Have fun becoming an attending when you're close to getting Medicare.
You'll make a fantastic doctor one day, I'm sure. ;)