The Official June 21, 2014 MCAT thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saxappeal1

M.D.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I know a lot of us were posting on June MCAT'ers unite, but I want to get to know the progress of all of us 6/21'ers in particular. Let's do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 6/21/2014
AAMC Average: 38.5
Post-test expected score: between 24-33
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 30 (10/10/10)
Comments: I am very very happy with this, even though it was 8.5 points below my average. I think that with my 4.0 GPA and 600 hours of research, 250 hours in disadvantaged hospital, 200 hours working with grieving children, 4000 hours of non-medical work experience, being quadrilingual, studying abroad and volunteering with my schools College of Medicine, I think I can get accepted somewhere. Congrats everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I understand you bro. I was hoping for a glorious 37-39 but who cares our scores are good enough and the real goal is med school not outdoing peoples MCAT scores
Haha that's how I feel too. Kinda silly but I guess that's human nature, as many of my friends gloriously got 40+ haha. But we are going to med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
FL AAMC Average: 29.5
Post-test expected score: 24-26
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30 (11/9/10)
Comments: I cannot believe this. I was praying for a 27+, which I felt would be a miracle. A 30 completely blew me away. I have no idea how I did so good on that BS section, considering I had to guess on so many questions. PS I felt good about but thought a tighter scale would drop me to a 10 at best. Verbal is my strong suit (avg 11 on FL's) but with the other two scores, I'll happily take that 9.

Reactions: 4 users
41 (12/15/14)
Gonna go die now.

tumblr_inline_n90yrkvGRn1r79k32.gif

Reactions: 1 user
FL AAMC Average: 39
Post-test expected score: 39
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 39 (14/10/15)
Comments: Verbal is unexpected, since my last set got up to 14 before the real exam. But what the hell. It's good enough.

Reactions: 5 users
Test Date:6/21/2014
FL AAMC AVG: 27.5
Post-Test Expected Score: 28 (9/11/8)
Actual Score: (PS/VR/BS): 10/11/10
Comments: OH MY FLIPPING GOD I BROKE 30!!!!! The highest I'd ever scored was a 29 and I scored a 28 2 days before the test. This was my third time taking the test the first two were 24 and 25 and this process has been sooooooo stressful. I have been in a constant state of stress this entire month. OMG all I can say is thank you JESUS!! Also when I first logged in I saw my first score (24) and dang near died then I realized it was the old one lol. I felt H O R R I B L E after the exam and cried the whole way home. Trust in your abilities and trust in God!!!

I did the same thing! Saw my old score first and was like, not again....

That bio curve must have been generous as hell because that is usually my worst section. I was praying for an 8 and I ended up getting a 10...I was literally crying during the test and the whole way home.

word to all you other mcatee's who are feeling like hell after your test....stop it.

I was literally in your shoes one month ago. I literally got depressed for the week after my test thinking how bad I bombed it (bs in particular). Everyone told me not to worry, those feelings are common. I listened, but I didn't buy it. I felt my situation was different, because I "knew" how I did. In the end, I was wrong.

I felt so terrible and ended up with a score above my AAMC FL average. The curve on the real test is (in my opinion) more generous than the FL curves...I'm convinced of this. So don't worry, your scores will likely be +/-2 just like almost everyone else.

not what i was hoping for
11/4/10 . Not quite sure what happened on the verbal, I was expecting between a 7-10. Time to jump back on that horse going to sign up for a month from now

FL AAMC Average: 36
Post-test expected score: 28-32
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 (12/12/14)
Comments: Long time lurker on tbis thread--really appreciate how well it distracted me this past month, so thanks folks! Non-traditional applicant here, and the MCAT score was gonna be a crucial factor as to whether or not i applied this cycle. As you can imagine, i am in (ecstatic) disbelief at this score. Hope everyone else is feeling good today, and if it didn't turn out how you wanted, don't let it get to you. Thanks again for this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many questions do you think you guessed on? I had the same issue on the 7/12 exam, I ran out of time on Bio and did lots of guessing. I was averaging 12-13 on AAMCs.

i mean i didn't just blind-guess any of them, but i remember having something like 9 or 10 minutes left with 2 screens to go -- 1 passage and 1 discrete screen. i did the discretes first and then went back to the passage with about 5 minutes left, speed-read it, and did my best on those 5-6 questions or whatever it was. and that's not even taking into account the other passages that really tripped me up (the orgo one, a couple others).

i was almost hoping for a 31 or a 32 so i could just retake it and get in the high 30s. but it's probably not worth retaking with a 34

Average: 36 (12 12 12)
Actual: 37 (14 ps 12 bio 11 vr)

Nothing amazing, but pretty good. Im satisfied. Hard to feel to happy about this after someone I know got a 43
I know how it feels. But you still got a score good enough for ANY medical school. Cheers!

i mean i didn't just blind-guess any of them, but i remember having something like 9 or 10 minutes left with 2 screens to go -- 1 passage and 1 discrete screen. i did the discretes first and then went back to the passage with about 5 minutes left, speed-read it, and did my best on those 5-6 questions or whatever it was. and that's not even taking into account the other passages that really tripped me up (the orgo one, a couple others).

i was almost hoping for a 31 or a 32 so i could just retake it and get in the high 30s. but it's probably not worth retaking with a 34

Omg that is LITERALLY EXACTLY what happened to me. I had 2 passages and one page of discretes, and 16 minutes. I did discretes first and had like 12 minutes to speed read and quickly pick attractive answers for the passages. I actually spent time on one passage and skimmed the other.

AAMC Average: 34 (33-36)
Post-test expected score: 30?
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): 34 (10/13/11) (Which was also the exact breakdown of my aamc 11)
Comments: I'm thrilled! The BS section totally shook me and I have spent the last 30 days thinking that I got an 8 or something on it. The curve must have been very generous. I have felt horrible about this test ever since I decided not to void. Even if you feel terrible after your exam, you should have some faith in your aamc averages.

I have a curious question. What were your scores on AAMC 11 and what was your score on the real test? I want to see just how predictive give or take it is.

FL AAMC Average: 29
Post-test expected score: 27-30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 30
(11/09/10)
Comments: I'm so happy, I screamed. I'm so relieved! I studied for a long time and worked very hard, and even though some luck may have been involved, I'm so glad to be done! And what a great balance! I can now apply to my dream school. I actually semi-cried when I saw it. YAY!!!! :highfive: Congratulations to everyone who got their score! And, for those that didn't, use me as an example. I got a 23 (9/7/7) the first time around. I worked hard and hung in there and I am so happy to see the results! Don't give up!!!

Congrats to you too man..so happy we've all been doing well!

We had the exact same score and breakdown..

it was my own fault really, i took my time like a mother****er on that big orgo passage because i figured i'd have plenty of time to catch up, since i usually finished the BS sections with 10-15 minutes to spare on the practice tests. guess not. still though, 12 is fine, it's the verbal that killed my score.

word to all you other mcatee's who are feeling like hell after your test....stop it.

I was literally in your shoes one month ago. I literally got depressed for the week after my test thinking how bad I bombed it (bs in particular). Everyone told me not to worry, those feelings are common. I listened, but I didn't buy it. I felt my situation was different, because I "knew" how I did. In the end, I was wrong.

I felt so terrible and ended up with a score above my AAMC FL average. The curve on the real test is (in my opinion) more generous than the FL curves...I'm convinced of this. So don't worry, your scores will likely be +/-2 just like almost everyone else.

Thanks! Makes me feel better about the my exam.

Haha that's how I feel too. Kinda silly but I guess that's human nature, as many of my friends gloriously got 40+ haha. But we are going to med school!
Thats true man. But no one can blame you for staying hungry and wanting to be the best. I wish I would have worked even harder than I did

Average: 36 (12 12 12)
Actual: 37 (14 ps 12 bio 11 vr)

Nothing amazing, but pretty good. Im satisfied. Hard to feel to happy about this after someone I know got a 43

Med schools probably won't even see a difference between both of you. Many schools categorize 36+ in the same category.

AAMC Average(only took 8,9,10,11) : 35.4
Post-test expected score: 33-38
Actual Score: (PS/V/BS): [REDACTED]
[REDACTED]

Comments: I'm extremely happy to get a great score!!!! The breakdown is the same for the two sciences as it was last year but the jump in verbal is great!! I felt that this was on par with how I felt coming out of the exam (bio was the worst and physics and verbal went pretty well). Good luck to everyone applying this year!!

Last edited:
Hope this gives someone some hope. MY GOD IS A GREAT GOD.

Took the MCAT 4/24/14
AAMC FL av: 25
Score: 20 (8/6/6) (P/V/B)
I was depressed and lost out on a great opportunity but my parents and sisters were wonderful and encouraged me. Got my score may 28th, scheduled my june 21st exam on may 29th and started studying. I prayed and studied. Used kaplan on demand studied mon-sun and took the greyhound with my mom (10hr drive) and took the june 21st test. I walked out the june 21st exam depressed and thought I failed.

Took MCAT: 6/21/14
FL average: 29 (was definitely inflated since i repeated some practice stuff and i still remembered some of the passages)
ACTUAL SCORE: 33!!! (11/12/10) (P/V/B)

I am grateful for the gift of GOD. a loving and supportive family can't be bought.

Reactions: 12 users
I thought I absolutely bombed it after my bio section... really disappointed I didn't break 30 because I have all my applications submitted but hoping the rest of my application will make up for it... That bio killed me I freaked out when I got to that orgo section and that was my highest sections on the practice tests.:(
PS/VR/BS: 11/9/8 ... 28

How many questions do you think you guessed on? I had the same issue on the 7/12 exam, I ran out of time on Bio and did lots of guessing. I was averaging 12-13 on AAMCs.
I felt like I was "guessing" on most of the passages since they were all experimental and confusing.

FL AAMC Average: 29.5
Post-test expected score: 28-33
Actual Score ( PS / V / BS): 30 (12/7/11)
Comments: I am happy with this score but was hoping to at least get an 8 in verbal since I have ranged anywhere from a 7-10 on my AAMC verbals. Any ideas about my chances with this score? My GPA is a 3.84 overall and 3.79 science. congrats to everyone who is happy! at least the stress is kinda over...

FL AAMC Average: 31
Post-test expected score: 30
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 34 (12/10/12)
Comments: Honestly did not think I broke 30 after taking the ochem portion of the biological science. I think I guessed on every single one but still ended up with a higher score than I ever scored on the practices! Does anyone else think the PS and V were a lot easier than the aamcas 3-11?

Well thankfully I've been studying for a month now and I get to go at it again in two days. Keep me in your thoughts everyone! I'm sick of this.

FL AAMC Average: 40.3
Post-test expected score: 36-41
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS): 14/13/13

Comments: Woo!

Congrats to everyone who got a wonderful score!
I'm in a bit of a predicament. My AAMC average was 38. Actual score: 27 (10/8/9).
I have absolutely no idea what happened. I got thrown off my game early in PS when the passages seemed so much longer than the AAMC tests. My timing was shot. Same thing happened in Verbal, and by that time I couldn't stop thinking about PS. Bio was crazy. I'm not sure what to do. Do you guys think I should retake? If so, how soon? August 2 and 7 are still open. I think I know the material really well, I think most of my problem was mental and timing. Advice?

Test Date: 6/21/14
FL AAMC Average: 30.6 (26-32)
Post-test expected score: 28-30
Actual Score: 32 (PS/V/BS) 11/9/12
Comments: I'm very happy with my score. My last AAMC FL matched exactly with the real score, and 32 is more than enough to get accepted to my top school, UAB. I always struggled on verbal making between 7-8, but my last AAMC FL I made my first 9. Very relieved I made a 9 on the real thing! I'm definitely not retaking this beast.
6 weeks before my MCAT, I started studying with TBR books, EC 1001 passages, and Chad's videos. In the first 4 weeks, I read all my review books cover to cover and watched almost every video (Chad is great!). The last 2 weeks, I took all the AAMC FLs under exact testing conditions. It was kinda a shortened version of sn2ed's study plan.

I felt like I was "guessing" on most of the passages since they were all experimental and confusing.

I'm in a bit of a predicament. My AAMC average was 38. Actual score: 27 (10/8/9).
I have absolutely no idea what happened. I got thrown off my game early in PS when the passages seemed so much longer than the AAMC tests. My timing was shot. Same thing happened in Verbal, and by that time I couldn't stop thinking about PS. Bio was crazy. I'm not sure what to do. Do you guys think I should retake? If so, how soon? August 2 and 7 are still open. I think I know the material really well, I think most of my problem was mental and timing. Advice?
I'm genuinely sorry to heart that. Sounds like you deserved a higher score with your practice test average being that high.
To me your decision is a clear one, to retake as soon as possible since you've proven that you know the stuff. Maybe you just had an unlucky day. Try to simulate the test conditions exactly with your practice exams.

FL AAMC Average: 34
Post-test expected score: 31-35
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 35 (13/11/11)
Comments: Missed two questions for sure on PS. Verbal is, well, verbal. Thought I would have gotten lower in BS based on difficulty Ochem passages.

So sorry to hear that. I would be devastated. Keep your head up tho.
My honest advice is this: Take this beast again asap. Anyone who can score a 38 average obviously knows their material. Work on timing for the next week and a half and go in with confidence. I would just brush up on my formula and other basic stuff and focus on timing. You got this. What do you other guys think?

I'm not sure what to do either. I scored 9/9/9 for a 27 total. Is it worth applying to MD schools, or should I just stick to DO? My sGPA is 3.8 and overall is 3.7. I'm a bit ambivalent right now as to whether I should take the test again or to stick to my original plan. I've already submitted primaries through both AMCAS and AACOMAS.

Thought please?

I am so relieved right now, I don't even know where to start. I just am so happy I got a 34 without pre-reqs. I hope that medical schools with notice that I took the exam before I took the courses, and will take that 34 in context.

I am so relieved right now, I don't even know where to start. I just am so happy I got a 34 without pre-reqs. I hope that medical schools with notice that I took the exam before I took the courses, and will take that 34 in context.

Dang, if you're worried about a 34 then I should be EXTRA worried :(

I'm not sure what to do either. I scored 9/9/9 for a 27 total. Is it worth applying to MD schools, or should I just stick to DO? My sGPA is 3.8 and overall is 3.7. I'm a bit ambivalent right now as to whether I should take the test again or to stick to my original plan. I've already submitted primaries through both AMCAS and AACOMAS.

Thought please?

You should apply!! Re-taking would risk getting lower unless that score is not near your AAMC average.. I think you have a great shot at MD and DO.. two of my friends with a 3.6ish and 27s got into MDs(multiple interviews) :)

You should apply!! Re-taking would risk getting lower unless that score is not near your AAMC average.. I think you have a great shot at MD and DO.. two of my friends with a 3.6ish and 27s got into MDs(multiple interviews) :)

Thanks so much orangetea, that inspiration makes me feel a lot better. And I've come to terms with the honest fact that I am also legitimately interested in DO programs; my personality seems to fit more with DO than MD, but I'm taking your advice and applying to both. Applications are sent!

By the way, which schools did your friends apply to?

Thanks so much orangetea, that inspiration makes me feel a lot better. And I've come to terms with the honest fact that I am also legitimately interested in DO programs; my personality seems to fit more with DO than MD, but I'm taking your advice and applying to both. Applications are sent!

By the way, which schools did your friends apply to?

about half CA half in east coast one got into VCU and UC Davis another got into UCI and University of Vermont medical school.. I am not sure where the other interviews were but don't even underestimate your LORs and personal statement.. I had read both of their personal statements and it was truly inspirations. Best of luck to you!

FL AAMC Average: around 40 (honestly, I only studied for 3 weeks on top of a full-time job, and most of my practice tests were done piecemeal, so this isn't totally accurate)
Post-test expected score: 33-37
Actual Score: ( PS / V / BS) 38 (13/13/12)
Comments: Disappointed I didn't hit 39, but that bio section was brutal. I thought I bombed it.