***The Official UNC SoD Class of 2020 Thread***

No news, but piecing together the bits of info we do have:

Last round of admissions went out on January 20th. Per AADSAS traffic rules these people have 30 days to respond. Now I'll bet a buffalo nickel UNC is just going to wait until that 30 days is up before they start pulling people off the wait list, even though some may decline before the 30 day window is up. I predict no motion off the wait list before 19 February.

There's also the possibility of people who accepted earlier offers subsequently declining at UNC, especially from the OOS pool.

My post was directed at those who have not heard back yet. As in, "any news on additions to the waitlist." I interviewed on 1/9 OOS and have not heard anything back. Just trying to get a better idea of where we stand. I called three times yesterday and did not get through, but I left Ms. Oaks a message. Hopefully she'll get back to me today. I'll post an update if I hear anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Spoke to Ms. Oaks. They are stilling working on the waitlist. "It should be completed by next week."

The wait continues.... :meh:

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting that they're putting the wait list together piecemeal like that. It might bode well for those who got the notification early if the wait list is ranked. It could also mean absolutely nothing.

They also might put out a little more info once the whole wait list is written up. I sure hope so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received snail mail waitlist notification yesterday. Have to sign and return acceptance of position as an alternate.

Rejection email today, OOS. Interviewed in September

Last edited:
DENIED. In-state, Sept interview. I had a feeling my 2nd interview went badly. GL to those on the wait-list!

I'm sorry about the news. You're all going to make fantastic dentists regardless!

I interviewed in September too and haven't heard a thing yet. If you don't mind me asking, when did you guys get the email?

Last edited:
I'm sorry about the news. You're all going to make fantastic dentists!

I interviewed in September too and haven't heard a thing yet. If you don't mind me asking, when did you guys get the email?

4:10 pm today.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know anyone who set up an appointment after getting rejected like mentioned in the email? i'm thinking of doing it

AADSAS updated to "Wait Listed" on 2/1.

Anyone know how many people are in the wait list and if it's ranked for OOS/IS?

I got a snail mail letter about a week after the portal update letting me know I was on the waitlist. It said, essentially, "congratulations, the admissions committee has chosen you as an alternate for the DDS class of 2020. Historically, several applicants are selected from the wait list every year and you may be selected any time between now and the start of classes on August 20th." I had to sign and return that letter in the snail mail accepting my position as an alternate. If I failed to do so, I assume they would give that wait list position to someone else.

No mention of a ranking in the letter, but someone said earlier that Carolyn Oakes told them there are only 20 positions in the wait list. My gut tells me that the earlier you got the notification, the higher on the wait list you are ranked. Of course that is pure speculation.

FWIW:

OOS, submitted in June, interviewed in January. 3.9 BCP 3.6 overall 22AA 21 PAT, 9 year Navy veteran selected for HSCP

Based on ADEA data from last year's application, UNC enrolled 83 students out of 99 total offers, meaning 16 acceptees declined admission. I'm guessing a decent portion of these individuals were OOS and had other options, so you OOS folks on the wait-list probably have a realistic chance.

Last edited:
To those who got accepted, did any of you get a confirmation that they received your deposit and forms

Waitlisted, in-state interviewed in September. I will be declining the position on the waitlist next week and attending the University of Maryland.

3.95 GPA (mechanical engineer)
TS 21/AA 24/PAT24/QR30/RC 27

Waitlisted, in-state interviewed in September. I will be declining the position on the waitlist next week and attending the University of Maryland.

3.95 GPA (mechanical engineer)
TS 21/AA 24/PAT24/QR30/RC 27
I'll be there probably! woohoo...classmatez

To those who got accepted, did any of you get a confirmation that they received your deposit and forms
Nope. No confirmation that they received the deposit (although I saw on my bank statement that they cashed it last week) or forms. Haven't even received an email from them whatsoever about acceptance even. It all came in paper form.

Not much, but when I called Ms. Oaks she did say that the waitlist is unranked - when a student declines a spot the committee meets and selects another candidate based on "GPA, DAT, and ????" (I forget).
Interview score I believe

That was it! Thanks man. Have you decided where you're headed yet btw?

Tough choices, got into SA last week so I had to turn down two Texas schools, but after all, UNC is the dream! I'm really rootin for you to get in as well! It'd be an honor

I recently was accepted to UNC and paid my deposit. Anyone else that was accepted, do you know if they will set up a facebook or give us a list of the class? I am looking for housing and 1 bedrooms are way too expensive.

I recently was accepted to UNC and paid my deposit. Anyone else that was accepted, do you know if they will set up a facebook or give us a list of the class? I am looking for housing and 1 bedrooms are way too expensive.

UNC has a Facebook made for the class, it's posted somewhere in this forum!

Well, today is 30 days since the last round of offers went out. I was thinking action off the wait list might start today, but it looks like nothing. Maybe Monday/next week. :(

EDIT: I guess it makes sense, as today is the 30th day so they (the 20 Jan offerees) still have today to accept.

Anybody? Anything? I'm running out of time here.

UNC adcoms,

If you're lurking this thread, just know that my birthday is on Thursday and I really can't think of a better gift.

948.gif

Reactions: 2 users
UNC is on spring break this week. Don't expect any motion...not that I was anyway...

any waitlist people send in like application updates or anything to admissions?

Anybody have any idea when people on the waitlist will begin to be called?

I heard the same as Feralis. I'm not surprised...you'd have to be an idiot to decline a spot at UNC! I'm moving ahead with plans to attend elsewhere though I'm not yet officially withdrawing from wait list consideration at UNC.

Anyone know any information about the waitlist movement lately?

Accepted off the waitlist this morning!! Will most likely be attending!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off the waitlist this morning!! Will most likely be attending!

Most likely? I can think of 19 people who would be most delighted if you declined!

For real tho, congratulations on the huge accomplishment.

I really wanted this. When I got the call to interview in December I felt like it must be destiny. When they put me on the wait list I felt like they were just keeping things exciting. Now I really don't think it's going to happen. :(