***The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental class 2018***

The students said that the 3.8 GPA was the average of the traditional applicants not the 7yr program. Every school we have been to in the last week have all said that the application numbers for dental school have skyrocketed and much more competitive.
Well the two groups getting different times at the clinic sounds like less time per student to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The students said that the 3.8 GPA was the average of the traditional applicants not the 7yr program. Every school we have been to in the last week have all said that the application numbers for dental school have skyrocketed and much more competitive.
Well the two groups getting different times at the clinic sounds like less time per student to me.

True!

The 3.8 GPA and 23 DAT sounds very high for US schools. I wouldn't be surprised if those scores were for ivy schools like UPENN but for UDM I think they are a bit lower. If you go back earlier in this thread, you can see many students who have gotten in with much less than 3.8 oGPA and 18 to low 20s on the DAT.

I'd still rather go to UDM over a school like NYU where students have to share chairs in clinic. At least at UDM everyone has their own chair and everyone is getting good cases that are harder to find at other schools. Only big problem with UDM is its location. A prestigious school like UDM shouldn't be in the core of Detroit in my opinion. I wish it were closer to area like Royal Oak or other surrounding area.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 3.8 GPA and 23 DAT sounds very high for US schools. I wouldn't be surprised if those scores were for ivy schools like UPENN but for UDM I think they are a bit lower. If you go back earlier in this thread, you can see many students who have gotten in with much less than 3.8 oGPA and 18 to low 20s on the DAT.

UDMhopeful this information was given to me by a UDM dental student while we were on tour there this weekend. Of course they could have very well been wrong. This was just what 3 of the students stated.

It's definitely not a 3.8...Last year's matriculating average was 3.57...with a DAT AA of 20 (Source: ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2013).
There will always be some fluctuations based off student assumptions...

UDMhopeful this information was given to me by a UDM dental student while we were on tour there this weekend. Of course they could have very well been wrong. This was just what 3 of the students stated.[/QUOTE

My apologies if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you. Wasn't saying that you were lying, I was just surprised with those scores considering what students have been posting on this thread. Guess we just have t wait and see what UDM ends up doing. Students should be getting calls over the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
My apologies if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you. Wasn't saying that you were lying, I was just surprised with those scores considering what students have been posting on this thread. Guess we just have t wait and see what UDM ends up doing. Students should be getting calls over the next few weeks.

No worries I didn't think that at all - just wanted to clarify in case I wasn't clear. The stats they claimed seemed super high to me. I posted it to see if anyone else knew anything about that, maybe a student who is already going who is on SDN could have clarified for us. The people giving us the tours were very nice and very down to earth students. If they are all like this then it is easy to believe that they have good working relations among them. My son got accepted into their 7 year BS/DDS program so he is trying to decide what to do.

_I_ thought using 'me' instead of _I_ was the new trend. Type in _I_ & _am_ . I am I am April fools lol nice sdn

LOL
My previous post was supposed to be:

A-p-r-i-l F-0-o-l-s j-o-k-e ?

Edit: Forget it, I give up!

Why are they still interviewing?arghhhhhhhhhhhh:boom:

Withdrew my offer. hopefully it will help someone waiting :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you guys know if c/o 2017 had interviews after January? I can't imagine wait list moving much when the wait list reached 150 in February when the list was initially made.

Do any of you guys know if c/o 2017 had interviews after January? I can't imagine wait list moving much when the wait list reached 150 in February when the list was initially made.
I thought there were single interviews, but I may be wrong.

My friend had an interview two days ago. She said that there were a lot of students there. I don't know why they still interviewing people if they didn't get back with us yet. She said there were about 30 of them in the waiting room. The wait list is not moving so why they want to put more on it.
ef1553

I wonder if this is a way that the school can get the best students. Maybe they are hoping some of them who have not interviewed are better than the ones on the waitlist? No idea - just guessing.

Also curious, has UDM always filled their dental class each year?

I wonder if this is a way that the school can get the best students. Maybe they are hoping some of them who have not interviewed are better than the ones on the waitlist? No idea - just guessing.

Also curious, has UDM always filled their dental class each year?

I think you're somewhat correct. I think they are trying to give everyone that applied a fair chance. I know a few students on the wait list with oGPA of 3.8+, so there's quality students on the wait list. To my understanding, they've always filled their dental class. According to last years thread, a lot of the wait list ended up be accepted. So people on the wait list still have a shot.

I'm curious as to why so many people drop out. UDM is rated very well in terms of clinical experience. On every forum I've read, UDM always makes top 5. I'm guessing it's the tuition fees and location. Even with the increased class size, the clinical experience isn't affected because the hours of operation for the clinic have just been extended. I don't believe that students get any less clinical experience with the increased class size.

I think you're somewhat correct. I think they are trying to give everyone that applied a fair chance. I know a few students on the wait list with oGPA of 3.8+, so there's quality students on the wait list. To my understanding, they've always filled their dental class. According to last years thread, a lot of the wait list ended up be accepted. So people on the wait list still have a shot.

I'm curious as to why so many people drop out. UDM is rated very well in terms of clinical experience. On every forum I've read, UDM always makes top 5. I'm guessing it's the tuition fees and location. Even with the increased class size, the clinical experience isn't affected because the hours of operation for the clinic have just been extended. I don't believe that students get any less clinical experience with the increased class size.

having a larger class size will definitely affect clinical experience... unless the patient base doubles its tough to see how it would be any other way

alot of the accepted students are from canada and get into canadian schools, thats why theres movement all the way into may/june. And udm doesnt interview alot of people, so i say we have a good chance, just looking at last year you can see that trend.

I'm curious as to why so many people drop out.

What do you mean so many people drop out? You mean after they start or from the acceptance list because they choose other schools?

Also have you visited UDM?

What do you mean so many people drop out? You mean after they start or from the acceptance list because they choose other schools?

Also have you visited UDM?
According to last years thread, a lot of students dropped their seats to select other schools. I was just wondering why.

Yes, I have visited UDM. I had an interview there this past January. Why do you ask?

Well the area does not look the best and I am not picky - I live in a town right now that's in the top 5 or 10 for dangerous cities right now so not much better but UDM's area is real drab. I am thinking that's why people choose other places.

Yeah as the other poster said, I am worried about the clinical time being reduced with the increased class size. I don't see how it's possible to keep the number of hours as high as they have before.

Well the area does not look the best and I am not picky - I live in a town right now that's in the top 5 or 10 for dangerous cities right now so not much better but UDM's area is real drab. I am thinking that's why people choose other places.

Yeah as the other poster said, I am worried about the clinical time being reduced with the increased class size. I don't see how it's possible to keep the number of hours as high as they have before.

Yeah that's what I mentioned a few posts back. " I'm guessing it's the tuition fees and location."

To be honest, although the location isn't the best, the clinical experience makes up for it. I'm not too concerned with the area of the school as long as the clinical experience is good. Based on what my interviewers told me, I don't think we'll see much of a decrease with clinical hours. As I mentioned before, the clinic hours have been extended to make up for the extra students. UDM's patient base is also very large (according to Dr. Jeffers), so I wouldn't worry about that. If they continue increasing the class size, I'll be concerned but I think it it okay the way it is. Much better than NYU's ~230 students.

Why are they still interviewing?arghhhhhhhhhhhh:boom:

Easyyyy!!! Think positive. Because they have lots of spots available!!!!
You will see all of the waitlisters will be getting into soon.

Easyyyy!!! Think positive. Because they have lots of spots available!!!!
You will see all of the waitlisters will be getting into soon.
I like your optimism.

^ Apparently this year is the first year they did not do interviews for the 7 year program. So not sure who you are asking but if any interviews are going on it's not for the 7 year program. However, those in the 7 year program still have to apply after their 3rd year like everyone else.

Is the 7 year program for undergraduate students or for highschool students? Why choose the 7 year program if you're and undergraduate?

It is for high school students, the do 3 undergrad years instead of 4

So Toronto sent out 96 acceptances this afternoon. I personally know a few people from the wait list that got accepted. Hopefully we see some movement next week.

Does anyone know if UDM ever gives out wait list rankings? Or are we expected to just wait in the dark?

Reactions: 3 users
hopefully they start plucking people of the wait list next week... the time is killing me

I also know a person who dropped his seat from UDM this week, so one more spot opened up.

There were ~50 on the wait list around this time last year. Any thoughts on number of wait listers this yr?

There were ~50 on the wait list around this time last year. Any thoughts on number of wait listers this yr?
Last I heard there was ~150 on the wait list. UDM apparently interviewed an additional 30+students last week. I'm guessing a good portion of the wait list dropped their spots and that's why they had interviews. A few students have left the FB group over the past week as well.

Last I heard there was ~150 on the wait list. UDM apparently interviewed an additional 30+students last week. I'm guessing a good portion of the wait list dropped their spots and that's why they had interviews. A few students have left the FB group over the past week as well.
Do you think over 100 dropped their spots? It's pretty late in the cycle, and giving 30+ interviews may also mean UDM prefers to keep comfortable number of people on their wait list in case of unexpected turn overs like last year. Last year was the first cycle after their initial increase in class size previous year and I think 139 out of 157 was a pretty close call. I wouldn't be surprised if the number is still at 100+. I'm still hoping for the best though!

Reactions: 2 users
At least we have learnt how to wait that much long time in the dark......
I deeply wish all of us (all) post a good news here next week.

I feel the wait-list is going to move this week...at least I hope.

I just got accepted today !!! I can't even express my happiness! Be hopeful, good luck 2 u all!!

I just got accepted today !!! I can't even express my happiness! Be hopeful, good luck 2 u all!!

OMG!! Congrats to you. it was true, they have just started calling, hope everyone gets this call today. again congrats. :) go and celebrate it HARD! :D

Last edited:
Congratulation! You definitely deserved this acceptance.

I was told by a staff from UDM admission office that Dr. Jeffers already made a phone call today. It began. I guess its time to pay off our waiting moment.

Cloudfire, Would you mind to share of your stat?
Thanks,

Reactions: 2 users