***The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental class 2018***

Over 100! Wow. Just.... Wow. Out of 140 spots I just cannot fathom another hundred getting in. Has anyone who talked to them today or recently asked if this is similar to years past as far as numbers and timing goes? (Like the year where everyone but seven got in from the alternate list)

Members don't see this ad.

Toronto sent out interviews yesterday. Hopefully some seats will start opening once Toronto starts sending out acceptances!

Do any of you guys think more than 100+ can get off of the wait list? Dr.Jeffers said 100 something were offered a seat from the wait list last year, but this year seems lot more competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any of you guys think more than 100+ can get off of the wait list? Dr.Jeffers said 100 something were offered a seat from the wait list last year, but this year seems lot more competitive.
Yeah I'm a little worried by this too! Students on this forum seem pretty happy with their acceptance into UDM. The only seats I can see being dropped would be those that get into Canadian schools and a few others.

In the email, it says the list is short, and the alternate candidate list isn't ranked. How do they pick out a candidate if it isn't ranked? Interview rating? Random drawing?

In the email, it says the list is short, and the alternate candidate list isn't ranked. How do they pick out a candidate if it isn't ranked? Interview rating? Random drawing?

Someone called that morning and the receptionist said the list was above 100! To my understanding, every time a seat opens up, the committee gets together and selects a student from the wait list. This seems like too much a hassle for them so I doubt this is true. I think they have a ranking system of some sort. It doesn't make sense for the committee to get together on multiple occasions.

Reactions: 1 users
im pretty sure it will be almost same as last year, i dont see the cycle changing drastically over one year, it does get more competitive every year but not enough to drastically change the cycle, we just have to wait for these Canadian schools....

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on 1/25 (their last interview session?) and got the alternate list email on 2/19. The day I interviewed, Dr. Jeffers said they had 17 open seats. A friend of mine who interviewed the same day as me was actually made an offer directly (phone call, 2/18). Also, in the presentation to our mini-group, Dr. Jeffers explicitly stated that last year's wait list had 157 students and offers were made to all but 18 of them. 139/157 = 89%. Sounds too good to be true, but I'm just passing along what I heard. But that also means they likely rejected a lot of people post-interview, otherwise the wait list would have been even larger than 157. I was really impressed by UDM, so keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck all!

Hey UDM hopefuls. I was offered my seat on December 2nd, but I notified UDM today that I will be giving it to another qualified applicant. This seat may go to the next Canadian in line, if that is how it works. All the best and enjoy this great school!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey UDM hopefuls. I was offered my seat on December 2nd, but I notified UDM today that I will be giving it to another qualified applicant. This seat may go to the next Canadian in line, if that is how it works. All the best and enjoy this great school!
Thanks for letting us know dakota! Good luck with all your endeavours!

Last edited:
Hi UDMhopeful,

Where does the resource come from? If the wait list is completed, do you know how many students are on the list?
Thanks,

Yes, the finalized wait list was made last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi UDMhopeful,

Where does the resource come from? If the wait list is completed, do you know how many students are on the list?
Thanks,

I went to the last interview date (Jan 25) and Dr. Jeffers mentioned that it was the last interview for this application cycle. Last week I received an email asking if I wanted to be on the final alternate list. Those who did not get this email were rejected (although I haven't heard of anyone being rejected yet). When I called the receptionist, she said there was over 100 students on this list. No need to make this list any bigger. In addition, they sent out an email to pre-December students asking if they wanted to remain on the list. So they are trying to cut it down, not make it bigger.

Last edited:
On the alternate email from last week it said we were given seven days to respond so with today being the seventh udm should have a good idea as to how large the wait list is and (hopefully) some more acceptances after they have organized that list (not 'ranked' :))

Did you know that UDM school specific thread is the most active one out of 64? I'm assuming a lot of hopeful ones are eyeing on the next available spot including myself. Keep your hopes up! :banana:

Last edited:
Just called. I asked how many were on wait list. Told me they do not have a count to give me. Told me there are no spots available right now... And some could open up any time. So there's that.

Just called. I asked how many were on wait list. Told me they do not have a count to give me. Told me there are no spots available right now... And some could open up any time. So there's that.
Well I know two people dropped their seats late last week. I doubt these seats were filled already because there weren't any new members added to the FB group. I think it's fair to say that UDM doesn't want to share any information on what's going to happen in the next few months. It's best that we don't call them anymore because 1) it sounds like we are just wasting their time and 2) they probably aren't giving us reliable information.

Being patient is the best option at this moment. Everyone on the wait list has the same concern more or less. Let's wish the best for all the alternate list and looking forward seeing each other on the orientation day!

Last edited:
Definitely
="UDMhopeful, post: 14962962, member: 596554"]Well I know two people dropped their seats late last week. I doubt these seats were filled already because there weren't any new members added to the FB group. I think it's fair to say that UDM doesn't want to share any information on what's going to happen in the next few months. It's best that we don't call them anymore because 1) it sounds like we are just wasting their time and 2) they probably aren't giving us reliable information.[/q
Definitely
="UDMhopeful, post: 14962962, member: 596554"]Well I know two people dropped their seats late last week. I doubt these seats were filled already because there weren't any new members added to the FB group. I think it's fair to say that UDM doesn't want to share any information on what's going to happen in the next few months. It's best that we don't call them anymore because 1) it sounds like we are just wasting their time and 2) they probably aren't giving us reliable information.
Defini
Can you post link to Fb group

UBC acceptances are coming out soon. Hopefully we see some seat opening up! Question for the Americans: is this week spring break for you? In that case, we probably won't hear anything from Dr. Jeffers until next week.

UDM Spring Break: Mar 17th ~ Mar 21st. Best wishes to those Canadians waiting on Canadian schools!

I called today and they told me that about 150 are on the wait list. Also, we will hear something at any time .

Hello alternate candidates,

I know that just waiting is so painful and not enjoyable at all. I am on the alternate list too.

I checked 2017 UDM School of Dentistry student doctor forum. During the March, only few students got acceptance call from Dr. Jeffers. In contrast, there were multiple acceptances had been sent out after March, especially in April.
The best thing is to wait with hope and patient. Let's keep our finger crossed!

Reactions: 4 users
Got the call yesterday morning! Everyone keep hope! So exciting... Just for everyone to know, California Resident, pre December interview :)

Congrats Hasuna23, did you get off of the wait list?

Congrats Hasuna23, did you get off of the wait list?
He/she said that they had a pre-December interview. So it would make sense that they were on the wait list if they were called yesterday.

Seems like Pre-Dec interviewees get selected more than the January interviewees.

Seems like Pre-Dec interviewees get selected more than the January interviewees.
I wouldn't say that. There's probably more pre-December students waitlisted. I've noticed that UDM seems to likes accepting non-traditional students though. Don't lose hope!

I wouldn't say that. There's probably more pre-December students waitlisted. I've noticed that UDM seems to likes accepting non-traditional students though. Don't lose hope!
You think so? There was 100+ interviewees on 1/25. I hope the interview date doesn't get factored in.

You think so? There was 100+ interviewees on 1/25. I hope the interview date doesn't get factored in.
I may be wrong on the numbers. I forgot that January 25th had two sets of groups. Did anyone from the January 25th interviews receive a rejection letter? Or did we all get put on the wait list?

When is the next deposit due? We should see a lot of movement after that because I know a few students that have paid the 1st deposit for more than one school. I'm sure there would be a lot more in a similar situation.

I was reading back on this thread. I recall someone mentioning that he/she knew three people that had UBC interviews and had gotten into UDM. UBC sent out acceptances on Thursday, so I'm wondering if that person knows if any of those individuals got into UBC. I believe he/she has a lion as an avatar.

I was reading back on this thread. I recall someone mentioning that he/she knew three people that had UBC interviews and had gotten into UDM. UBC sent out acceptances on Thursday, so I'm wondering if that person knows if any of those individuals got into UBC. I believe he/she has a lion as an avatar.

Yes, 2 got accepted at UBC that also got in at UDM too. However, 1 withdrew awhile back from UDM.

I may be wrong on the numbers. I forgot that January 25th had two sets of groups. Did anyone from the January 25th interviews receive a rejection letter? Or did we all get put on the wait list?

When is the next deposit due? We should see a lot of movement after that because I know a few students that have paid the 1st deposit for more than one school. I'm sure there would be a lot more in a similar situation.

I interviewed on that date and accepted a position on the wait list. I remember that a lot of people interviewed on 1/25. Given the size of the groups, I don't think they could possibly all fit on the wait list especially since the wait list also includes candidates from all of the other interview dates. But who knows....

Did anyone hear back from UDM off the waiting list recently??

Does anyone know when the last day is for acceptance? It has been very quiet these past few weeks. And I'm guessing I'm not the only one who doesn't know what I'm doing next year.

Just wondering what everyone's backup plan is? 5th year? Masters? Take a year off and work/volunteer?

During my interview, Dr. Jeffers said that it goes right down to the wire every year regarding acceptances. Based on this, I do not think there is an official "last day for acceptance," other than the day classes start. I wish you luck.

During my interview, Dr. Jeffers said that it goes right down to the wire every year regarding acceptances. Based on this, I do not think there is an official "last day for acceptance," other than the day classes start. I wish you luck.
Just out of curiosity, did Dr. Jeffers interview you or are you referring to that short Q and A period that each group ha with him.

When you say "down to the wire", is that like June? July? I know the program starts in August but they have to give students some time to look for housing and roomates, etc.

When do school start asking for the next payment? I know various students that have deposits on 2-3 schools so I'm guessing an additional payment will force these students to pick schools.

I was referring to the very end of the interview day. Dr. Jeffers spoke to our group as a whole before it was time to go. He never elaborated on what "down to the wire" meant. I have heard of people getting accepted by dental schools close to the end of July. My friend's brother, for example, got an interview in early July at Temple. A week later he was accepted. A week later, they moved out for school. They didn't give him much time at all to prepare as far as housing went. I haven't read anything about a second deposit at UDM, I have been curious about this as well, but haven't called yet. I'm not saying there isn't one, there just wasn't anything about it in the acceptance letter or financial aid packet (the only things I have been sent so far).

I was referring to the very end of the interview day. Dr. Jeffers spoke to our group as a whole before it was time to go. He never elaborated on what "down to the wire" meant. I have heard of people getting accepted by dental schools close to the end of July. My friend's brother, for example, got an interview in early July at Temple. A week later he was accepted. A week later, they moved out for school. They didn't give him much time at all to prepare as far as housing went. I haven't read anything about a second deposit at UDM, I have been curious about this as well, but haven't called yet. I'm not saying there isn't one, there just wasn't anything about it in the acceptance letter or financial aid packet (the only things I have been sent so far).
Thanks for the info!

Just out of curiosity did Dr. Jeffers interview you or are you referring to that short Q and A period that each group ha with him.

When you say "down to the wire", is that like June? July? I know the program starts in August but they have to give students some time to look for housing and roomates, etc.

When do school start asking for the next payment? I know various students that have deposits on 2-3 schools so I'm guessing an additional payment will force these students to pick schools.
Acceptance call can go as late as first or second week of August. I know it is hard to wait.. but hey, best thing for us atm is to improve on things we are lacking. Im working on many areas including working. Things will work in your favor if you believeyou did your absolute best. ;)

Pre-December interview, waitlisted, then I got the call from Dr. Jeffers on Thursday morning!! UDMSOD2018 :)

Pre-December interview, waitlisted, then I got the call from Dr. Jeffers on Thursday morning!! UDMSOD2018 :)
Do you mind sharing your stats? Are you from the US or Canada? Congrats!

I was wondering if someone could help me with answering these questions about reapplying:

1. Do you need to get new reference letters? Or can the same letters be used?
2. If you begin a 2 year Masters program, do you have to finish the program before you can reapply?
3. Would it beneficial to study dental assisting instead of taking a 5th year or Masters?
4. Should you rewrite your entire personal statement? Or can the same one be used?

Thanks for the help!