**The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Do you guys remember if they talked about how hard it was to switch residency to Minnesota? I can't remember much because I was so sure I bombed the interview haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys remember if they talked about how hard it was to switch residency to Minnesota? I can't remember much because I was so sure I bombed the interview haha
From reading previous years threads I think it is almost impossible. Minnesota is very strict about residency.

From reading previous years threads I think it is almost impossible. Minnesota is very strict about residency.
Ugh really? I thought they said if you moved there and did research for the summer or worked that could count. I must be mixing it up with a different school. Y u so expensive 2 me, UMN? All I do is luv u

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh really? I thought they said if you moved there and did research for the summer or worked that could count. I must be mixing it up with a different school. Y u so expensive 2 me, UMN? All I do is luv u
Hmmm maybe that could be true! I'd say call the admissions office. Also go to the U I want to meet an SDN celebrity.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm maybe that could be true! I'd say call the admissions office. Also go to the U I want to meet an SDN celebrity.
No I'm probably mixing it up. It was actually my top choice and I didn't think they'd actually take me so I'm going to (hopefully) figure out finances and hopefully go :)
I'm not a celebrity though haha. I ain't no Doc Toothache or Feralis

No I'm probably mixing it up. It was actually my top choice and I didn't think they'd actually take me so I'm going to (hopefully) figure out finances and hopefully go :)
Definitely SDN celebrity!!! You should go to UMN!!!!

Your are a 2015-2016 cycle celebrity!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think? 1o weeks of research before dental school? Should we do it?
I think it would be a great opportunity! If I decide to attend MN, I will be accepting the offer to participate in this program. What are you thinking?

I think it would be a great opportunity! If I decide to attend MN, I will be accepting the offer to participate in this program. What are you thinking?
I'm thinking this sounds like a great opportunity, if I end up hearing from MN. I am really anxious about this one--I thought it was such a good fit!

I talked to current dental students about the program and decided to accept the offer. They sent out invite to 11 ppl, anyone else is joining the program this summer?

I had one before but never used it and decided to delete it. :)
Haha well I joined the 2019 class one and they use it a lot. They share a lot of study materials on it. I don't use it much either but I predict once school starts Facebook may become a regular thing.

Haha well I joined the 2019 class one and they use it a lot. They share a lot of study materials on it. I don't use it much either but I predict once school starts Facebook may become a regular thing.
Good I can shift my weird SDN comments to a facebook group haha

I talked to current dental students about the program and decided to accept the offer. They sent out invite to 11 ppl, anyone else is joining the program this summer?
I'm a little late to the party but I was also offered the summer research! :)

Does anyone know how Research wait-list works? I unfortunately did not get the spot for it so wondering how it works..

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!! Also, does anyone know if MN will fully switch over to just offering the OSCE (Canadian portfolio based clinical exam) instead of CRDTS (Traditional patient based clinical exam) within the next 4 years? This is one of the few things holding me back from completely being 100% with my decision.
I'd contact the school directly with that question!

Does anyone know how Research wait-list works? I unfortunately did not get the spot for it so wondering how it works..

Not sure if this helps but supposedly there are 11 slots. The deadline for initial offers is Jan. 5th, and if the position is turned down they will offer the position to another person.

Not sure if this helps but supposedly there are 11 slots. The deadline for initial offers is Jan. 5th, and if the position is turned down they will offer the position to another person.
Thanks for your reply! Also, for accepting the offer, I just need to send the deposit, correct? Cause I haven't got any snail mail from them yet..

Does anyone know how many seats are filled with Dec. 1 acceptances at MN? I thought this information was provided during the informational session, but I apparently forgot to write down the exact statistics. I'm asking because I thought my interview went well, I'm quite interested in their research program, and I haven't received any good news from MN yet.

Does anyone know if UMN has reciprocity with Wisconsin? If a Wisconsin resident goes there do they get in-state tuition?

SableFire-- I'm pretty sure we met at the MN interview. What date was yours, just to be sure?

Accepted to Minnesota. Too bad I don't think I can afford the $110k per year cost as an out of state student. :'(

You are not kidding. I though it is only 58K just for tuition. If it is true, I am not so much looking forward to my acceptance.

Thanks for your reply! Also, for accepting the offer, I just need to send the deposit, correct? Cause I haven't got any snail mail from them yet..
Hmm.. my notes from the interview said that the deposit information would be in the mailed acceptance packet. But, I'm sure you could call them and ask!

I just got my paper version of the acceptance letter in the mail Friday, along with the acceptance form and an envelope to mail the deposit back with FWIW.

at the interview they referenced giving some out of state students scholarships so they paid instate tuition... Did I hear this incorrectly? If they do offer these does anyone know when they let you know?

I think they offer like a handful of those to a select few students. I would imagine those have already been awarded and if you were receiving one then you'd already know. Perhaps if one of those students turn the offer down (unlikely), then you might get one, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up. :-/
That's what I was thinking, too. I thought tuition was $70k/year. If it's $90k that's going to be even harder to justify. Why do they do this to OOS?? If they like us enough to accept us, why charge us so much?

That's what I was thinking, too. I thought tuition was $70k/year. If it's $90k that's going to be even harder to justify. Why do they do this to OOS?? If they like us enough to accept us, why charge us so much?

All schools are doing this. The long and short of it is that they aren't getting nearly the funding from the government that they used to, so they have to fund the school (in part) off the backs of the OOS students paying higher tuition. Plus, the gov't is handing out unlimited student loan money to basically anyone with a pulse, thus fueling the astronomical increases in tuition over the last 2-3 decades, now over 1 TRILLION dollars total debt outstanding. (~1100% increase in tuition since the early 90's if i'm not mistaken) With no limit to the amount of money handed out, plus a huge population that will pay whatever it costs to become a dentist/MD/etc the schools can charge whatever they want, and someone will pay it.

Accepting my offer at Minnesota!

All schools are doing this. The long and short of it is that they aren't getting nearly the funding from the government that they used to, so they have to fund the school (in part) off the backs of the OOS students paying higher tuition. Plus, the gov't is handing out unlimited student loan money to basically anyone with a pulse, thus fueling the astronomical increases in tuition over the last 2-3 decades, now over 1 TRILLION dollars total debt outstanding. (~1100% increase in tuition since the early 90's if i'm not mistaken) With no limit to the amount of money handed out, plus a huge population that will pay whatever it costs to become a dentist/MD/etc the schools can charge whatever they want, and someone will pay it.
I know all schools charge more for OOS, but Minnesota seems to be extraordinarily high compared to others I've looked at. This was more of a rhetorical question/complaint with resentment that I'm not from Minnesota.