***The Official USC Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

You are correct. There are two admissions people that observe during the PBL session. There is no one-on-one interview with a faculty member or student. You do have lunch with a current student but thats pretty much it.

Ahh I see! Thanks for the reply :) What an odd interview process! First one where there's no 1 on 1! This will be interesting. EXCITED FOR IT! :) LETS GO!!! Cheers everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh I see! Thanks for the reply :) What an odd interview process! First one where there's no 1 on 1! This will be interesting. EXCITED FOR IT! :) LETS GO!!! Cheers everyone!

All I got to say is dress really nice, be friendly, and don't be rude to other students during the pbl portion. Also, utilize the time with the students at lunch. It's a great time to get insight on the program.

Good luck! You're going to do great!

you must wonder how with the money this school is racking in, they have faculty shortage that cant afford faculty interview while all other schools have falculty interviews or even faculty leading the tour guides (by faculty I mean, clinical instructors, didactic instructors, dean, or assistant deans)

for your information, the two observers in the PBL interview don't even have any dental related education and are basically administrators.
IIRC, one observer is even an undergrad student from USC undergrad and one guy just have a BS in Business Admin or something. Yea tell me how their evaluations can be taken seriously and as a part of admission decision process.

and while all other schools have been full or very full since Jan/Feb while most private schools will be full in march/april. USC still extends acceptances well into July.

dont disregard the "observed negativity" regarding cost issue some users have posted in here. They surely have done their research and their comments don't really sound ignorant or bash any other. Dental Schools are just the beginning, it is your 40 year life after that will matter most. Since these users are few in numbers, they seem to get trumped by the vast majority of USC advocates on here. Angry voices sound the loudest and seem to take over the logical and thoughtful analysis of real facts, real numerical values, and reasonable estimate of future consequences.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
you must wonder how with the money this school is racking in, they have faculty shortage that cant afford faculty interview while all other schools have falculty interviews or even faculty leading the tour guides (by faculty I mean, clinical instructors, didactic instructors, dean, or assistant deans)

for your information, the two observers in the PBL interview don't even have any dental related education and are basically administrators.
IIRC, one observer is even an undergrad student from USC undergrad and one guy just have a BS in Business Admin or something. Yea tell me how their evaluations can be taken seriously and as a part of admission decision process.

and while all other schools have been full or very full since Jan/Feb while most private schools will be full in march/april. USC still extends acceptances well into July.

dont disregard the "observed negativity" regarding cost issue some users have posted in here. They surely have done their research and their comments don't really sound ignorant or bash any other. Dental Schools are just the beginning, it is your 40 year life after that will matter most. Since these users are few in numbers, they seem to get trumped by the vast majority of USC advocates on here. Angry voices sound the loudest and seem to take over the logical and thoughtful analysis of real facts, real numerical values, and reasonable estimate of future consequences.

Best of luck.

You have some valid points but...darknightzzz is that you?
515qxorFaEL._SX200_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
the above 2 posts are exactly what I mean.

This is why rarely new users/upcoming applicants see the warnings by reading these threads because the users who posted these get ridiculed.

But as long as one of my posts helps someone (even only 1 person), then I have my purpose fulfilled.

and two users above, do you just ridicule anyone who states facts about the institution you are going to attend that you are also unhappy with?

two questions for each intelligent gentleman: Where else have you gotten accepted besides USC? and why do you choose to attend USC?

Last edited:

This is why rarely new users/upcoming applicants see the warnings by reading these threads because the users who posted these get ridiculed.

But as long as one of my posts helps someone (even only 1 person), then I have my purpose fulfilled.

and two users above, do you just ridicule anyone who states facts about the institution you are going to attend that you are also unhappy with?

two questions for each intelligent gentleman: Where else have you gotten accepted besides USC? and why do you choose to attend USC?

Look, it's very helpful that you (and others) try to warn people about the cost of this school, but there are just so many posts bashing USC already. It's getting very old, and that's why people "ridicule" your post. I'm sure if a new applicant were to do a search on SDN about USC dental school, s/he would find plenty of "warnings."

My reasons for going to USC:
1. I want to live in LA
2. I didn't get into UCLA because my stats aren't competitive enough as OOS.
3. I'm not religious enough for Loma Linda.
4. I prefer USC over Western because of name recognition and location (closer to the city).
5. I can pay the tuition in cash

Reactions: 4 users
At the interview they said:

Dec 1st = 50 acceptances will be sent out
March 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
April 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
May 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
July 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out, if class isn't full.

I believe they also take the seats dropped into account when sending out acceptances. Im guessing majority of people accepted, decline due to the cost so it should look better for interviewees late in the cycle. Btw I have no confirmation on that what so ever haha, just a thought.

Hey man I don't want to doubt you, but I could have sworn during my interview they said :

Dec 1st = 50 acceptances will be sent out
February 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
March 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
April 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out

They didn't mention anything about May and July:shrug:

Darknightzzz is back for sure. You just couldn't resist huh? I'm not going to seriously answer any of your questions. Good luck with trying to persuade intelligent people, this is not the place to do that!

Got an Interview Invite! I honestly didn't expect one this late in the cycle! haha but the dates they offered were March 29th or March 30th. . . I'm going to call tomorrow and accept the invite for the 30th. So if anyone is interviewing that day let me know! I'm from OOS and have noooooo idea where I'm going haha high possibility I am going to get lost

Reactions: 3 users
Got an Interview Invite! I honestly didn't expect one this late in the cycle! haha but the dates they offered were March 29th or March 30th. . . I'm going to call tomorrow and accept the invite for the 30th. So if anyone is interviewing that day let me know! I'm from OOS and have noooooo idea where I'm going haha high possibility I am going to get lost
Congrats! I hope you have an awesome interview day there!

Just wanted to ask, is there any other link besides the school sites that talk more about the school? I'm trying to do some more research to learn about the school more! Any advice would be great! Thank you! :)

I got a phone call at 12 when I was at work today and my heart dropped. It was my best friend who got off early cause of good Friday. Mtfer. Anxious as all hell. Last night I had a dream I missed a ny interview like it was class or something

Reactions: 2 users

I got an invite and am going on the 30th as well!

Im curious as to what the group interview will consist of. I know theres like a PBL thing where we have to interact in a group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh yay!! Congrats! Can't wait to meet you! It's supposed to be relaxed so I'm just going to go with the flow and try and have some fun :)

I wonder if the interview invites that were just sent out were the last ones for the cycle?

I got an invite and am going on the 30th as well!

Im curious as to what the group interview will consist of. I know theres like a PBL thing where we have to interact in a group.

The group interview will consist of two questions picked from a basket. The first one being an ice breaker and the second a bit more serious. Just relax and try to have fun with it and you guys will be fine! Check the interview feedback page.

https://schools.studentdoctor.net/s...schools/3/dental-school-rankings/0?kwd=herman

Could THIS be the week of the next wave of acceptances?

Reactions: 1 users
Could THIS be the week of the next wave of acceptances?

I think so..?? April 1st is this friday, and it seems like their wave of acceptance was either end of March or April 1st according to posts from previous years.

I think so..?? April 1st is this friday, and it seems like their wave of acceptance was either end of March or April 1st according to posts from previous years.

nice screen name! how we all feel...

nice screen name! how we all feel...

Haha.. My interview was mid-Novemver so I've been waiting for... 4 and half months?? Gonna give up my hope if I don't hear anything in this coming wave. Hahahaha.. :(

Did anyone receive a confirmation email for the paperwork they wanted us to fax/email after the interview?

Turns out they did have it, just never got a confirmation email. For the peeps that faxed their paperwork, call back and make sure!

Hey all! For the interview packet we have to fill out... I'm a little confused on two of the questions. What are they asking for when they want you to describe group learning experiences/independent study projects, and also the special interests? I feel like a lot of the questions are repeated and just worded differently lmao..

Hey all! For the interview packet we have to fill out... I'm a little confused on two of the questions. What are they asking for when they want you to describe group learning experiences/independent study projects, and also the special interests? I feel like a lot of the questions are repeated and just worded differently lmao..
Hahahaha I repeated my answers so much in just different words soooooo yeah special interests I had so much trouble with that section

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Did everyone received an email confirmation after sending the Post-Interview form to the university?

Hello everyone! Did everyone received an email confirmation after sending the Post-Interview form to the university?

Yeah I did. I remember receiving it around 9am one morning, sent it off by 10:45am the same day. I got the confirmation the next day at about 2:45 pm.

Last edited:
Yeah I did. I remember receiving it around 9am one morning, sent it off by 10:45am the same day. I got the confirmation the next day at about 2:45 pm.
Hey, thanks for replying. I called the admissions office today, and they said that they did not send the confirmation email but they have my paper. So I hope everything is alright then!

Hey, thanks for replying. I called the admissions office today, and they said that they did not send the confirmation email but they have my paper. So I hope everything is alright then!
Hey that's awesome! Stay positive and keep your head up!

Wish those who are interviewing this week a best luck

Sincerely,

Fellow Waitlisted member

Does everyone get a handwritten post-card in the mail from a current student, after being interviewed?

I did as well. Not sure if it means anything. Everybody who interviews probably receives one.

Tuesday the 16th....should we ask for one if we didn't get one? LOL just kidding. But I really didn't get one though :(

Try not to read too much into the hand written note. It could be that your student ambassador forgot your name etc.

I'm crossing my fingers that we hear good news soon!:xf::xf::xf:

so how do you all plan to pay the tuition?

so how do you all plan to pay the tuition?

At first I was thinking all loans. Now I'm thinking loans for the first year and then a 3 year HPSP scholarship for the remaining three years with the Air Force. Just a thought for now.

The HPSP is a great option but I've heard it's very competitive. In the event one is unable to snag a HPSP there are many other loan repayment/forgiveness options. I personally am leaning towards working in an underserved area/community that qualifies for loan foregivenss via the government after 10 years of full time work. There's also the PAYE program, NHSC, as well as Indian health etc. if you're flexible about where you practice such as rural areas with limited access to care there are plenty of options to repay/forgive loan debt. After all, isn't that why we all want to pursue careers as dentists? To help those in need? Win win in my book. :happy:

Reactions: 3 users
Could tomorrow be the day?!? I really hope so. March has been the longest month ever.