***The Official USC Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Received an interview invite today! Its pretty late in the cycle and I was wondering a few things:
1. Is the Class of 2020 full? If not, do you guys know roughly how many seats are still available? Will I be interviewing for a waitlist position?
2. How does the interview day go?
3. What is the acceptance rate? (interviewed/accepted)
4. Any tips?

Congrats!

1. Is the Class of 2020 full? If not, do you guys know roughly how many seats are still available? Will I be interviewing for a waitlist position?
I don't know exactly how many spots are available, but someone did call and they said at least half full. After the interview everyone is waitlisted.
it was relaxing for me. we first get the presentation about the school program and afterward we pick two questions from the basket (one was non-dental and one was dental related). Afterward you do the mock PBL session and a mini writing.
can't really tell you exactly.... (sorry)
4. Any tips?
Have fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
As one of interviewees in pre-dec and heard back nothing yet, losing my hope drastically after seeing people who had interviews and got accepted in Feb. Probably 1 or 2 more rounds of wave are left, I assume??

As one of interviewees in pre-dec and heard back nothing yet, losing my hope drastically after seeing people who had interviews and got accepted in Feb. Probably 1 or 2 more rounds of wave are left, I assume??
Same, interviewed November 17th. OOS, haven't heard anything since

Members don't see this ad :)
could you tell me when did you apply to USC?

My application wasn't completed till Sept because I took my DAT late. The dates listed were March 15th, 16th, 22nd, and 23rd.

Congrats!

I don't know exactly how many spots are available, but someone did call and they said at least half full. After the interview everyone is waitlisted.
it was relaxing for me. we first get the presentation about the school program and afterward we pick two questions from the basket (one was non-dental and one was dental related). Afterward you do the mock PBL session and a mini writing.
can't really tell you exactly.... (sorry)
4. Any tips?
Have fun!

Thanks dkan! How was the mini writing and PBL session? I interviewed at several schools and neither of them had us do it, so not sure how to prepare for that.

Reactions: 1 user
My application wasn't completed till Sept because I took my DAT late. The dates listed were March 15th, 16th, 22nd, and 23rd.

Thanks dkan! How was the mini writing and PBL session? I interviewed at several schools and neither of them had us do it, so not sure how to prepare for that.

To be honest, there's no way you can prepare for it. It's my guessing, but I think writing is to see if you can actually write English and PBL, just see your personality and maybe thinking? maybe check out the interview feedback? that helped me relaxed a little bit because i did something.... wish you a best luck!

Received an interview invite today! Its pretty late in the cycle and I was wondering a few things:
4. Any tips?

Class is half full.

Interview day is presentation, straight to pbl session in groups, written part, lunch with students, fin aid meeting, then tour. 8:30 to 3:30.

I think if you are instate they interview about 350 people for 100 spots. Out of state is 250 people for the remaining 44 spots. The amount accepted, I have no idea.

I feel they interview to accept. I think they are looking for highly social people that can work in a group setting. Be a leader and respectful to others, that's all I can say.

Last edited:
Class is half full.

Interview day is presentation, straight to pbl session in groups, written part, lunch with students, fin aid meeting, then tour. 8:30 to 3:30.

I think if you are instate they interview about 350 people for 100 spots. Out of state is 250 people for the remaining 44 spots. The amount accepted, I have no idea.

I feel they interview to accept. I think they are looking for highly social people that can work in a group setting. Be a leader, that's all I can say.

Sweeeet! Thanks Cal, greatly appreciate all the insight!

Class is half full.

I feel they interview to accept. I think they are looking for highly social people that can work in a group setting. Be a leader and respectful to others, that's all I can say.

Where did you get the stats on the instate/oos acceptance rate? I thought USC is one of those schools that don't care about oos:(

Where did you get the stats on the instate/oos acceptance rate? I thought USC is one of those schools that don't care about oos:(

I got the stats from the interview. USC is 70 percent instate, and 30 percent OOS and international.

I don't think that in-state to out-of-state ratio matters. It's private school so in-state wouldn't matter. California has a lot of population and people from california might prefer to attend usc rather than going to schools in other states. Probably the ratio was resulted from individual's preference.. Unless people in admissions office said otherwise.

I don't think that in-state to out-of-state ratio matters. It's private school so in-state wouldn't matter. California has a lot of population and people from california might prefer to attend usc rather than going to schools in other states. Probably the ratio was resulted from individual's preference.. Unless people in admissions office said otherwise.
Exactly, it doesn't seem like the ratio is a standard that the school abides by

how many in state spots are left?

Actually go on the schools website. They give the class stats from last year. That seems to be exactly what they told us. I agree with you guys, I imagine they don't have a preference on abiding to that percent division yearly. But the school lists what its main feeder schools are: that being UCI,ucla, ucsd, and USC- all SoCal schools. I didn't go to one of those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually go on the schools website. They give the class stats from last year. That seems to be exactly what they told us. I agree with you guys, I imagine they don't have a preference on abiding to that percent division yearly. But the school lists what its main feeder schools are: that being UCI,ucla, ucsd, and USC- all SoCal schools. I didn't go to one of those schools.

so what school did you go to see the hot girls at hot beaches at? UCSB?
btw, i went to UCI :)

edit: nvm, you went to berkeley :).

From the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2015-2016:

In State: Number of Applicants- 1,128 Est. Number Interviewed- 316 Est. Number Enrolled- 89

OO State: Number of Applicants- 2,201 Est. Number Interviewed- 114 Est. Number Enrolled- 55

Reactions: 2 users
I got an interview invite last Friday too! Any tips/advice would be much appreciated :)

Turning down my invite. Goodluck everyone!

I surely hope not!

what are your stats

Last edited:
It's been awfully quiet since darknigtzzz got banned. Did anyone receive any news last week? Or this week?

Reactions: 4 users
It's been awfully quiet since darknigtzzz got banned. Did anyone receive any news last week? Or this week?
Looking at the USC C/O 2019 thread, we should be getting notified late March/ early April. I don't expect anybody to hear anything until then.

what does post interview candidate mean???

I recieved the 'post interview info' email too. I think everyone gets this email til they start choosing acceptances from our batch of interviewees. Btw do they give out rejections right after the interview?

I recieved the 'post interview info' email too. I think everyone gets this email til they start choosing acceptances from our batch of interviewees. Btw do they give out rejections right after the interview?

Everyone does get it. In my opinion, I believe they send it out to make sure and check if individuals are still interested so they don't waste time accepting people that have no interest in attending.

I know everyone gets waitlisted. I haven't heard anyone mention that they have made rejections yet.

Any rejections sent out yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Everyone does get it. In my opinion, I believe they send it out to make sure and check if individuals are still interested so they don't waste time accepting people that have no interest in attending.

I know everyone gets waitlisted. I haven't heard anyone mention that they have made rejections yet.
Do we have to reply to that email expressing interest or anything because I never got one. I interviewed about a month ago. My AADSAS does say waitlist though.

My bad I didn't read your past

My bad I didn't read your past

Do you know if we have respond to the email expressing interest or is it simply an email confirming that they interviewed us? I never got the email so I don't know the contents of it.

Do you know if we have respond to the email expressing interest or is it simply an email confirming that they interviewed us? I never got the email so I don't know the contents of it.

I think if you fax/email the Post Interview documents to the Admissions Office, they will know you're interested.

Do we have to reply to that email expressing interest or anything because I never got one. I interviewed about a month ago. My AADSAS does say waitlist though.

I think if you fax/email the Post Interview documents to the Admissions Office, they will know you're interested.

Hey brocoolio, ddskid25 is right. It's an email with a one page doc you print out, sign, and fax or email back to them immediately. I hope you didn't get the email and not notice there was an attachment.

Hey brocoolio, ddskid25 is right. It's an email with a one page doc you print out, sign, and fax or email back to them immediately. I hope you didn't get the email and not notice there was an attachment.
I didn't get the email at all.... gonna call them tomorrow. Was there a deadline to send the information?

Last edited:
I didn't get the email at all.... gonna call them tomorrow. Was there a deadline to send the information?

Yeah calling is a good idea, you def should. There is no deadline, from what I remember. I imagine one's display of urgency is taken as a sign of interest by their adcom.

Hello all, I called the school and talked with Saul about my post-interview email issue. He said that they sent it to me, but when he tried resending it, it wouldn't work- something about my email being "deactivated". This is odd since I never changed or touched my AADSAS contact info. He ended up sending me the email himself using my same email address.

I'm pretty bummed out because I'm afraid that sending in this document late might have negative impacts on my admissions process. Oh well. Just have to sit tight and hope that it doesn't.

Hello all, I called the school and talked with Saul about my post-interview email issue. He said that they sent it to me, but when he tried resending it, it wouldn't work- something about my email being "deactivated". This is odd since I never changed or touched my AADSAS contact info. He ended up sending me the email himself using my same email address.

I'm pretty bummed out because I'm afraid that sending in this document late might have negative impacts on my admissions process. Oh well. Just have to sit tight and hope that it doesn't.

Here is my honest opinion, although this might sound weird, it will not affect their decision. They will take note of the mistake, and since there are a lot of seats left you'll be back in the running.

Keep your head up and stay positive.

Thanks for the positive vibes guys. You're a bunch of awesome people!

Reactions: 3 users
Isn't that what these forums are actually here for? Not for dark knightzz negative nancy attitude

Im guessing we wont hear back until they review this and next week's interviewees. So probably March 25th or April 1st at the earliest... I interviewed in the beginning of March. Been twiddling my thumbs, since!

Im guessing we wont hear back until they review this and next week's interviewees. So probably March 25th or April 1st at the earliest... I interviewed in the beginning of March. Been twiddling my thumbs, since!

At the interview they said:

Dec 1st = 50 acceptances will be sent out
March 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
April 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
May 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out
July 1st = 36 acceptances will be sent out, if class isn't full.

I believe they also take the seats dropped into account when sending out acceptances. Im guessing majority of people accepted, decline due to the cost so it should look better for interviewees late in the cycle. Btw I have no confirmation on that what so ever haha, just a thought.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Just searched through this forum and got alot of god feedback about the interview process at USC. One thing came to my mind, it seems like there are no Interviewee to Faculty members/Professor/Doctor/Current student interviews? Is this correct? Or is there actually a 30min 1 on 1 interview that happens during the day?

Hey guys! Just searched through this forum and got alot of god feedback about the interview process at USC. One thing came to my mind, it seems like there are no Interviewee to Faculty members/Professor/Doctor/Current student interviews? Is this correct? Or is there actually a 30min 1 on 1 interview that happens during the day?

You are correct. There are two admissions people that observe during the PBL session. There is no one-on-one interview with a faculty member or student. You do have lunch with a current student but thats pretty much it.