****The Official VCU Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

So..... if you haven't been invited by now OOS you probably aren't getting invited pre-December? Oh well. That's another one to cross off the list ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately I would say that's a good assumption at this point, but remember I am not involved with the admissions process at all so you should take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt!

And if it helps you feel better, I received my interview invite last year only 3 business days before the interview itself!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ah that sucks! I would definitely not like receiving an invite 3 days before the interview! Flight prices would be through the roof :eek:

Haha, well to be 100% honest it was probably my own fault, I was notified while traveling and I didn't read the invite email until almost a full day after it was sent so all of the interview dates were booked except for one.....the next Monday (booked it on Thursday!). Fortunately I didn't have to fly so I was ok with it ;)

Unfortunately I would say that's a good assumption at this point, but remember I am not involved with the admissions process at all so you should take my opinion on the matter with a grain of salt!

And if it helps you feel better, I received my interview invite last year only 3 business days before the interview itself!!
That's ok. I haven't looked too much into VCU. I'm sure it's a fantastic school, but it's not like my heart was set on it. I'm sure everyone who is interviewed is deserving :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh I wanna be in your shoes so badly... Did you get the email today?
Yup, got the email around noon today. I'm sure you'll get one too! They don't seem to send them out in waves or anything so it doesn't mean much if you didn't get an invite today.

Interview Oct 30 OOS!!
Trying to reschedule a different day due to conflicts. Hope they let me :shy:

Reactions: 1 user
Are they all full on Oct 30?!
No idea haha. Didn't see the email until about an hour ago. Hopefully they'll answer me tomorrow. You do only have 48 hours to respond. Probably means another wave of interviews will go out on like Thursday

No idea haha. Didn't see the email until about an hour ago. Hopefully they'll answer me tomorrow. You do only have 48 hours to respond. Probably means another wave of interviews will go out on like Thursday

Congrats on the invite! You should see what VCU says but the word on the street is that the Oct. 30th interview is the last Pre-Dec interview so you might only want to reschedule if you already have another interview scheduled for that day. Best of luck!

Congrats on the invite! You should see what VCU says but the word on the street is that the Oct. 30th interview is the last Pre-Dec interview so you might only want to reschedule if you already have another interview scheduled for that day. Best of luck!
Wow so nothing in November? Weird. Hopefully they'll answer and I'll sort everything out tomorrow. Thank you :)
Also 8:30 - 5:30 seems like quite a long interview day.

Wow so nothing in November? Weird. Hopefully they'll answer and I'll sort everything out tomorrow. Thank you :)
Also 8:30 - 5:30 seems like quite a long interview day.

The process is very different from last cycle when I applied. Now there are less interview days with much larger groups of candidates. The first interview had about 70 candidates. I think the logistics of such an event is the reason for the longer time period, the main reason being that all the candidates get to do a cavity prep in the DentSim Lab which only has about 24 stations. So it takes a while to go through the rotations.

Also, I am not 100% sure there are no interviews in November....it just is what we have heard around school.

The process is very different from last cycle when I applied. Now there are less interview days with much larger groups of candidates. The first interview had about 70 candidates. I think the logistics of such an event is the reason for the longer time period, the main reason being that all the candidates get to do a cavity prep in the DentSim Lab which only has about 24 stations. So it takes a while to go through the rotations.

Also, I am not 100% sure there are no interviews in November....it just is what we have heard around school.
Gotcha. Well, if they have a November date that they offer me, I'll let you know! Cavity prep sounds cool. Can't wait! Thanks again!!

You were right! The next interview date after October 30 is December 11

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, I have a lot of friends / family near that area so disappointed I didn't get chosen. But maybe I still have a shot for Baltimore!

Good luck, I have a lot of friends / family near that area so disappointed I didn't get chosen. But maybe I still have a shot for Baltimore!
You could definitely still get one for Dec 11!! Or maybe there are more for Oct 30. But ya definitely Baltimore too. Good luck!!

Darn, I didn't get invited for Oct. 30. I guess I'll just have to wait for Dec 11!

I've been looking on different threads and I can't really tell if this school is OOS friendly or not. Is it? I applied in early august

I've been looking on different threads and I can't really tell if this school is OOS friendly or not. Is it? I applied in early august

For a state school it is very OOS friendly. I would say there are about 60 VA residents out of about 95 students.

Interviewed today, it was pretty relaxed all day. About 60 students interviewed

Reactions: 2 users
So each interviewee gets a chance to work in DentSim? Interesting. I guess they are working hard to use it as a selling point now.

Does anyone know how many they interview and how many they accept Dec 1? What are they looking for in their applicants/students?

Does anyone know how many they interview and how many they accept Dec 1? What are they looking for in their applicants/students?

I only remember in-state (IS) stats. 300
IS applicants; 100 interview; 66 get in.
Dr. Gottlieb says there are 3 rounds of interviews. Assuming the 1st round (9/11) and 2nd round (October) of interviews (~70 interviewees each) took the brightest kids, I speculate 65 are given December acceptances and 25 are given post-December acceptances with 5 seats reserved for D.5 students. Total class size = 95

@MRZ8 Awesome thanks! Do you know how many IS students are at each interview? are 100 IS students interview total or Pre-Dec? (I know you're not an adcom, I'm just getting nervous!) 9/11 was the first interview date correct? Do those students generally have a better chance of admissions?

@MRZ8 Awesome thanks! Do you know how many IS students are at each interview? are 100 IS students interview total or Pre-Dec? (I know you're not an adcom, I'm just getting nervous!) 9/11 was the first interview date correct? Do those students generally have a better chance of admissions?
I interviewed on the 11th, I think it was the second interview date but I'm not exactly sure, most the students I met that day were in state applicants

I interviewed on the 11th, I think it was the second interview date but I'm not exactly sure, most the students I met that day were in state applicants

The 11th was the 1st interview date and 10/9 was the 2nd. The third interview date is next Friday, the 30th.

Interview #10 at VCU (Dec. 11), In-State, 2nd batch! Hope others heard back today, too!

Is there anyone going on the 30th that might want to split a cab to the airport after the interview day? I know it's probably a slim chance to ask on here, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)
PM me if interested

Third year here. Let me know if you have any questions.

Anyone else have their interview 10/30? How are you guys preparing. I'm not really sure what to expect, so I'm really nervous.
I do! I'm going to practice a few answers to common questions (just so I don't blank out on the spot) and just try to relax. I've heard VCU sets up a very nice experience for interviewees, so just try to be enthusiastic and not too nervous :)

I do! I'm going to practice a few answers to common questions (just so I don't blank out on the spot) and just try to relax. I've heard VCU sets up a very nice experience for interviewees, so just try to be enthusiastic and not too nervous :)
T

Last edited:
Does VCU have a page on here with possible interview questions they've asked in the past? I see it for other schools but can't seem to find VCU's. I'm just nervous because this is an important one for me. I don't want to mess it up lol.
Probably! I haven't looked yet but I'm assuming it's where all the other ones are

Whew! That was an awesome interview day! Glad its over!! On to interview #3!!:horns:

T

Last edited:
VCU's concept of an interview is beyond me. One interviewer was extremely sympathetic while the sat there, grilling me on every word that came out of my mouth. I was beyond disgusted by his lack of interest, sincerity and overall demeanor. The guy questioned each statement I made, as if I was lying about everything. He even asked me to show examples of a specific hobby I mentioned. I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you wanted to get to me off paper, not try and validate my resume. I expected something similar to this, but not for him to sit there clearly look annoyed at my very presence. I was already nervous as is, having him trying to intimidate me made me lose every last bit of confidence. They didn't even ask me about any of my extracurricular activities, nothing about me other than why I wanted to be a dentist, followed by them questioning the sincerity of my reasoning. I heard others had a pleasant experience with both interviewers but a couple others had similar experiences to mine. Plus, there is clearly nothing wrong with my GPA or my DAT score, both of which are well above their crappy average. But he still managed to ask me if I'm considering retaking the exam, so I have a more "well-rounded score." Overall, far from a pleasant experience. I doubt I will ever hear from them again after today.
:eek:
Wow I'm sorry your day didn't go well.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else gotten interview invites for December 11th?

VCU's concept of an interview is beyond me. One interviewer was extremely sympathetic while the sat there, grilling me on every word that came out of my mouth. I was beyond disgusted by his lack of interest, sincerity and overall demeanor. The guy questioned each statement I made, as if I was lying about everything. He even asked me to show examples of a specific hobby I mentioned. I'm sorry, I was under the impression that you wanted to get to me off paper, not try and validate my resume. I expected something similar to this, but not for him to sit there clearly look annoyed at my very presence. I was already nervous as is, having him trying to intimidate me made me lose every last bit of confidence. They didn't even ask me about any of my extracurricular activities, nothing about me other than why I wanted to be a dentist, followed by them questioning the sincerity of my reasoning. I heard others had a pleasant experience with both interviewers but a couple others had similar experiences to mine. Plus, there is clearly nothing wrong with my GPA or my DAT score, both of which are well above their crappy average. But he still managed to ask me if I'm considering retaking the exam, so I have a more "well-rounded score." Overall, far from a pleasant experience. I doubt I will ever hear from them again after today.

I'm sorry things didn't seem to go well for you; but I don't consider a 20.6 a "crappy" average DAT Score for a school.

I had a pretty similar experience with my interviewer and felt like a complete bum afterwards.... But you gotta understand that's part of THEIR JOB to make sure candidates have tough skin and can handle intimidating situations.... In my opinion, this field is pretty demanding so they gotta ensure candidates are able to overcome challenges/stressful situations...
Also I've read in other forums that people who thought had awful interviews ACTUALLY ended up getting invited.
So maybe the intimidating scenario is just a set-up ;)

I'm kinda curious who you interviewed with. It sounds like the same guy I interviewed with when I was applying. But don't lose, I didn't think I'd hear back after my interview with him but here I am -- a D2.

Kinda bummed that I didn't hear from VCU for pre-dec 1 interviews. In stater, with fairly good stats. Already have had 4 out of state interviews...

Kinda bummed that I didn't hear from VCU for pre-dec 1 interviews. In stater, with fairly good stats. Already have had 4 out of state interviews...

Don't lose hope. There is another interview day coming up on the 11th I think. Lots of my classmates weren't accepted until well after new year. Keep the faith!

What does it take to get into VCU? Haven't interviewed yet, but would like to know what kind of things do they look for?

Also, how many people instate are at each interview? Do earlier interviews have better chances of admissions? (Sept 11 vs Oct)

For in-state applicants, you have a 65% chance of acceptance.
325 in state applicants
124 interviewed
81 accepted
(Stats pulled from doc toothache)

As of now, I interviewed just once (VCU) out of 15 schools. For some reason, I'm 99% confident of getting accepted here. Anyone feel that way too?