****The Official VCU Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

I just called. Lady was rude and willing to divulge as little as possible (the usual). She said it was a courtesy email. It's not considered a wait list. Im thinking they're probably just going to wait it out for the deadline for their second deposit to see who withdraws. Mostly likely, we'll hear back near April, unless we get rejected early.
When is the deposit deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
When is the deposit deadline for people who got accepted this past week? Maybe they'll send out acceptances after that deadline passes. I would hope people who aren't going to attend would tell them early so that they can give their spots to other people though.

People who got acceptances the very very first night said feb 28 I was personally texting one of them so I know cause I have her number and she was telling me. Sweet girl

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I really hope the people who hold multiple acceptance to drop if they aren't planning to attend to give spot for others who are willing to. I'm rooting for you guys. The deadline is feb 28th. And tomorrow when we are able to submit online deposits. Ten more days. Hang in there guys..

Thank you! I hope so too! And I hope the people who really want are the ones getting these positions

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Preach Hurley preach!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email saying they haven't made s decision on my file. What does this even mean, I didn't realize there was a third wave of decisions?? Are they still conducting interviews?
What time did you get this email?

To be honest, if VCU wasn't my ONLY state school, I would've never even considered going here. The school's old and depressing and richmond is even worse lol. But here I am still anxiously waiting for them, despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I don't stand a chance at this point. Maybe I'm just saying all this because I'm bitter. Just venting really...

Bitter or not, with that attitude I wouldn't want you as a fellow classmate. I'd rather have someone who actually enjoys what the school/program and the city of Richmond has to offer.

Reactions: 2 users
@Pro-Dentite19 @UCSFx2017, you might be able to answer these Qs. If anyone knows, pitch in:

1. VCUSD estimates room&board at 17k/yr, likely for on-campus university-owned apartments. What's the range/average rent on one bedroom non-university owned apartments near campus (max. 15 min walk from Lyons) ?

2. Is there a ranking system that ranks the 95 students based on GPA?

3. How many patients (min/max) could I see per day as a D3/D4? As a D3, you see one patient in the morning and one in the afternoon. On Fridays the schedule is more flexible, i.e. you can schedule multiple smaller appts if you want, and then the Friday afternoon is entirely staffed by part-time faculty. As a D4, you are expected to see two patients each morning, as well as a patient in the afternoon. At off-site rotations, generally the number of patients will be even higher. The speed picks up a lot during this year.

4. I don't see Biochemistry (only Mammalian Physiology) or Microbiology in D1/D2 curriculum. Since 120 of 400 exam items in NBDE Part 1 covers Biochemistry-Physiology and Microbiology, did VCU prepare you in both topics or did you have to study them on your own?

5. What's VCU's first-attempt board pass rate?

6. When do students get their individual patient rosters?
You get your initial patients after you finish D2 year, but that is very volatile. Patients are activated and deactivated according to need, financial locks, decisions to seek care elsewhere, so on and so forth.

7. My friend, a VCUDH grad, says they worked with dental students. Do students learn IPE with other healthcare students (pharm, med, etc)?

8. IMO, the number of clinical requirements is the best indicator of a strong clinical program. I can only know how to judge how good clinical experience is as a dental student. What are the official clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, bridge, implants, RPDs, CDs, RCTs, extractions, etc).
Honestly, the requirements are not that stringent here. So the education is what you make it.
1 crown to graduate, that's all. No implants, no bridge units.
For RPD: 1 complete/complete, 1 distal extension, and then a third case of your choosing.
For RCT: 2 cases, then a competency (these are hard to come by)
Extractions: you'll do a lot of these - lot of people here have some pretty ****ed up teeth.

9. Has anyone had trouble with the "eServices/VCU Self Service" link for making the $800 deposit? I get error SSB101 and their offices are closed.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

I'll try to give you an answer to the ones left unanswered.

1. VCUSD estimates room&board at 17k/yr, likely for on-campus university-owned apartments. What's the range/average rent on one bedroom non-university owned apartments near campus (max. 15 min walk from Lyons) ?

1BR's near campus are like $800-1200 a month, usually like $950 though with all utilities. Look @ Tobacco company, Terrace 202, Cedar Broad, Shockoe Valley View, etc.
I suggest finding a cool classmate and sharing a 2Br or even a 3Br, the comradery of having some roommates to endure the hell of dental school will be a definite boost to your morale.

2. Is there a ranking system that ranks the 95 students based on GPA?

Yes. At the end of every spring we get class ranks, top 25 each year get a few thousand dollars in academic scholarships.

4. I don't see Biochemistry (only Mammalian Physiology) or Microbiology in D1/D2 curriculum. Since 120 of 400 exam items in NBDE Part 1 covers Biochemistry-Physiology and Microbiology, did VCU prepare you in both topics or did you have to study them on your own?

You don't take biochemistry, and you'll just self-study for NBDE part 1, but honestly it's a joke, study for 2 weeks and you'll be fine.

5. What's VCU's first-attempt board pass rate?

The pass rate of this year's D2's was ~96% I heard.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

Last edited:
Maybe if you had better stats you'd have 1) not only gotten into VCU by now, but 2) been able to be competitive at out of state schools with even lower cost of attendances than VCU.

T

Last edited:
LOL. My stats couldn't get any better considering I have a 3.99 GPA. It's not my fault VCU reserves their attention for applicants who don't really stand a chance anywhere else. I'm much more qualified than the majority of the people they've accepted, including you and your idiotic assumptions. This is probably why I hold an acceptance to every other school I've accepted an interview to.

By the way, I think I'd know more about their technology, infrastructure, faculty, etc considering I've spent a considerable amount of time at their school of dentistry.

Last edited:
Enjoy their $400,000 tuition, maybe your "extremely minimal" scholarships you received from there will bring it within $100,000 of the total cost of attendance you'd be paying at VCU.
Can't seem to put my finger on what aspect of your personality you've displayed in these forums is the reason why the interviewers obviously don't like you. Stats get you an interview, while the interview decides if you'd fit in with your class. By the looks of it, it seems like the application process is working as it should!

Also, i'm not sure how a potential applicant that interviewed 5 months ago and still hasn't been accepted is more qualified to talk about a school than a current student is though, please explain.

T

Last edited:
I have a life, so I don't feel the need to look through your post history. But I wouldn't bother anyway, you don't have anything of substance to contribute. In all sincerity, you don't reserve the right to ridicule the fact that I was even offered merit based scholarships to begin with. Those are reserved to students, schools are more eager to accept, which is something you probably don't know much about.

Last edited:
Well your "Ivy" league education not only has done a great job at making you an un-deniable applicant at a "school with a abysmally low DAT average," but also clearly taught you the proper use of commas. Actually, I am a current student, but the big "difference" between us is that I was accepted December 1st and given the only in-state merit-based academic scholarships of my class, whereas you're calling admissions months after your interview whining to a secretary in the admissions office.

Last edited:

Last edited:
The awkward part about the parts of speech comment is that I was quoting you...so....

I log on once or twice a year to blast weenies like you.
Holler if you ever get accepted, i'll buy you a drink.

For those of you waiting, I declined my offer.

VCU was recommended by a close friend, so I was excited to attend my interview. I personally enjoyed my time at VCU. Interacting with so many dental students was a huge plus. Unfortunately, the school does not offer everything I want. Working in the clinics as early as the first semester is great, but they do not have the area of research I would like to conduct. I really like their emphasis on community service, which is probably why I got an interview, but I do not like their limited mission trip opportunities. Their application process is interesting, but I can definitely see how they graduate good dentists which is all that matters to me.

Best of luck to everyone! I understand this application cycle is stressful, but there are high rewards down the road.

Last edited:
For those of you waiting, I declined my offer.

VCU was recommended by a close friend, so I was excited to attend my interview. I personally enjoyed my time at VCU. Interacting with so many dental students was a huge plus. Unfortunately, the school does not offer everything I want. Working in the clinics as early as the first semester is great, but they do not have the area of research I would like to conduct. I really like their emphasis on community service, which is probably why I got an interview, but I do not like their limited mission trip opportunities. My interview was my worst one. I did not like the good cop bad cop routine, but I guess they were pleased how everything turned out. I was relaxed the whole time because I was prepared for the worst case scenario, but I knew my application was fine. They knew I was already accepted into other schools, so I do not know why one of the interviewers proceeded to be hard. I was shocked to hear another interviewee say the interviewers did not question some bad grades and had a relaxed interview. Their application process is interesting, but I can definitely see how they graduate good dentists which is all that matters to me.

Best of luck to everyone! I understand this application cycle is stressful, but there are high rewards down the road.
Thanks for letting us know and good luck at your future school!!

Just got a "we regret to inform you..." email. Good luck to everyone else!!

Rejected after interviewing on Jan. 8th. Best of luck to all of you! VCU is a wonderful program and I hope you all make the best of out it!

Alternate list..

Rejection #5 :shifty:
School: VCU
Notification date: 2/25/16
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: MI
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/25/15
Application complete date: 6/13/15
GPA (science, overall) 3.45 (3.56 without +/-), 3.6 (3.68 without +/-)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/22/21/none

Anybody from the alternate list heard anything back yet?

I think people had trouble getting access to this earlier. This is the D1 Fall 2015 Schedule, to transfer it over to next year remove the bike week and start school on Monday August 1st. The Deans said the D1 Fall 2016 Schedule should be sent out in the upcoming months.

Attachments

• d2019-fall2015 (1).pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 111
I think people had trouble getting access to this earlier. This is the D1 Fall 2015 Schedule, to transfer it over to next year remove the bike week and start school on Monday August 1st. The Deans said the D1 Fall 2016 Schedule should be sent out in the upcoming months.
Thank you!!

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is for the class of 2020? Thanks in advance!

Usually at the end of the second year to signify entrance into the clinical aspect of school.