UC Davis c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get my invite until the second or third day, but was one of the first to hear with acceptances so just role with it, and relax. For those of you that couldn't get through, I also had difficulties, but try first thing tomorrow when they open and you should be able to get through before the next interview batch gets sent out. Good luck to all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Ooh. Can you tell me more about UC Davis scholarships?! :)

I knew I was probably going to open up a can of worms with that statement :laugh:

The scholarship I got was not something you can apply for - I just got a totally random email in May saying I had received a scholarship because of my "academic and career potential identified through the admission process."

Once you're in school, each year there is a sizable pool of scholarships for which students can apply. They typically range in value from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars (with some outliers worth more). I think the general attitude of students is that they are pretty tough to get, and not worth that much in the end (especially considering the application has a few essay questions and some resume stuff that resembles the VMCAS experience section). I was one of the lucky students to get a scholarship last year, but I'm not holding my breath for future years . . .

When all is said and done, these scholarships are great (as free money always is), but one should not count on them, nor should one have the attitude that they'll make much more than a small dent in tuition/living expenses.

And conversely, I was the first person to hear about acceptance to our class, and have absolutely no potential but the potential to cause trouble and got no scholarships coming in. SO yeah, don't stress about the order. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, moosenanny. That was helpful! :)

I bet the line stays busy as all of us dial in over and over and over and..:sleep:

Havan't had a chance to call yet. Looks like I'll have to call once I'm in Wisconsin tomorrow. I burnt my pasta upon recognition of my interview invite this afternoon :oops:.

Havan't had a chance to call yet. Looks like I'll have to call once I'm in Wisconsin tomorrow. I burnt my pasta upon recognition of my interview invite this afternoon :oops:.

Congratulations!! This was exactly where I had hoped to be 3 years ago when I set out on this path. Just one more small hurdle and I'll have accomplished my goal. And my UC-Davis Vet School hoodie will finally become relevant. Looking forward to meeting all of you. And best of luck to those still waiting to hear. :D

I called for an hour and a half this morning! I thought it would be bad but yeesh! My call took a total of 2 min 54 seconds. Anyway, at least now I have a date: Tuesday Feb. 28.

Any more invites go out today? Goodluck to those still waiting and congrats to my fellow interviewers!

I called for an hour and a half this morning! I thought it would be bad but yeesh! My call took a total of 2 min 54 seconds. Anyway, at least now I have a date: Tuesday Feb. 28.

Any more invites go out today? Goodluck to those still waiting and congrats to my fellow interviewers!

I don't think there were ANY.... this place has been very quiet.... and if they close in 20 mins maybe they are really spreading this out so they aren't inundated with calls??

I'm still :scared:+pissed+

I was wondering the same thing about more invites, its nearly 4pm pst and not a peep from anyone?? Whats going on over there Davis?

I was wondering the same thing about more invites, its nearly 4pm pst and not a peep from anyone?? Whats going on over there Davis?

Their tactics for suspense are killing us all...

Soooo happy for you! (and everyone else with interviews too) :luck:

And I hope there are a lot more to come for SDNers!

Members don't see this ad :)
No invites today? :( Have they moved to sending them out every other day? We are biting our nails here! Do they enjoy inflicting pain on us poor applicants?

Same experience here. I even woke up early so that I could call in at 9am. I guess the takeaway here for those trying to get through to schedule, be patient and you will eventually get a ring at the other end. February 27th interview set. Good luck, my friends.

Thanks! I applied with supplemental apps though so they may have not sent many out today. I am sure they have plenty more to send out! Best of luck.

Thanks! I applied with supplemental apps though so they may have not sent many out today. I am sure they have plenty more to send out! Best of luck.

They might decide to wait a day or two so the poor lady that is scheduling interviews has a chance to catch her breath.

I got an interview invite today you guys! At 4:05 PST. I assume they have switched to after hours so people don't have a chance to call right away, haha. So the letter reads like the interview time is set. Is this true? Also, I applied VMOP, so I agree - they may have only been emailing people whi submitted supllementals today. Can any current Davis students offer insight on VMOP? I was informed I have an interview for this.Is it a physical program throughout the four years, and what is this interview like/looking for? Who makes up the VMOP committee? Thanks! Also, I cannot believe I am writing these words right now. I am beyond amazed/happy/ecstatic/ and grateful to call myself someone among the interviewees at UC Davis. GOOD LUCK to everyone else. <3

I got an interview invite today you guys! At 4:05 PST. I assume they have switched to after hours so people don't have a chance to call right away, haha. So the letter reads like the interview time is set. Is this true? Also, I applied VMOP, so I agree - they may have only been emailing people whi submitted supllementals today. Can any current Davis students offer insight on VMOP? I was informed I have an interview for this.Is it a physical program throughout the four years, and what is this interview like/looking for? Who makes up the VMOP committee? Thanks! Also, I cannot believe I am writing these words right now. I am beyond amazed/happy/ecstatic/ and grateful to call myself someone among the interviewees at UC Davis. GOOD LUCK to everyone else. <3

Congrats, my friend. Only insight I can offer is that you will have a couple options for when your interview will be. More about time of day than anything else it seemed. They will ask if you are flying or driving and would be willing to accommodate your capabilities the best they can. One other thing they are interested in is whether you plan to attend the orientation. I think they are saving the earliest interviews for those that are gonna be in town on the 18th and want to stick around for their interview. Especially those coming long distances, I imagine. Once again, congratulations. :D

I tried to call off and on throughout the day, with no success. Frustratingly enough, my job starts before and ends after the designated call-in time (and my lunch partly overlaps the mid-day break). I have faith that I will get through eventually, but I'm also pretty sure I'm going to start hearing that busy signal in my dreams. :laugh:

I tried to call off and on throughout the day, with no success. Frustratingly enough, my job starts before and ends after the designated call-in time (and my lunch partly overlaps the mid-day break). I have faith that I will get through eventually, but I'm also pretty sure I'm going to start hearing that busy signal in my dreams. :laugh:

Sorry. I was chatting it up with Kathleen. Lovely lady. We talked like old friends... ;)

Soooo happy for you! (and everyone else with interviews too) :luck:

And I hope there are a lot more to come for SDNers!

I am beyond pumped :love:. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ditto on the second note, I'm rooting for a full house of SDN interviewers this year.

August West said:
Sorry. I was chatting it up with Kathleen. Lovely lady. We talked like old friends... ;)

I was imgaining this as I repeatedly hit redial every 3 seconds. She was so surprisingly relaxed when she actually picked up. This must be old hat for dear Kathleen.

When I was scheduling the appointment, they take into account where you're coming from and Kathleen asked if I was a student or working and what day(s) were best. Don't know if there will be less of an option once they start sending out more invites.

Perhaps they took a break from sending out many invites today since they are obviously flogged in the office making all of these appointments.

Last edited:
I got an interview invite today! I am OOS and also applied for the VMOP.

To whom asked above, I am really not sure what the VMOP is about besides that it gives people with hardships a better shot at getting in if they can prove themselves

I got an interview invite today! I am OOS and also applied for the VMOP.

To whom asked above, I am really not sure what the VMOP is about besides that it gives people with hardships a better shot at getting in if they can prove themselves

Yeah, that's what I understood it to be too. Kinda worried to have an interview all about my life being hard, hahaha. CONGRATS! Where are you from?

Yeah, that's what I understood it to be too. Kinda worried to have an interview all about my life being hard, hahaha. CONGRATS! Where are you from?

Yeah, I did not expect a separate interview...or if I knew about it before then I definitely forgot! lol Congrats to you too! I am from FL, you?

I think we should be proud though! I feel I really poured my heart into that application. I was definitely able to touch on things that the VMCAS application does not have the space for.

Yeah, I did not expect a separate interview...or if I knew about it before then I definitely forgot! lol Congrats to you too! I am from FL, you?

I think we should be proud though! I feel I really poured my heart into that application. I was definitely able to touch on things that the VMCAS application does not have the space for.

Agreed. It was a hard application to write, but I am so very glad they have it and actually consider it. I have always heard that Davis is committed to looking at diverse people and especially those who have overcome obstacles. I am in state from California. :) I am very proud for anyone who applied VMOP! Even if they did not get an interview, if it was founded, I think it takes a lot of bravery and humility to fill something like that out.

I spoke with some current veterinary students who applied VMOP. It sounds like the VMOP panel is made of faculty combined with upperclass vet students. Apparently, the VMOP interview is a little more intense....and some students did feel like they were in the hot seat, but really they just want to make sure that you can succeed at UC Davis despite hardships, etc. Supposedly, the VMOP committee can plead your case if you are on the cusp of admissions or even rejected after your regular interview pending you did well at the VMOP interview. This is just what I have heard from current students though so I can't promise this is actually how it works. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
I spoke with some current veterinary students who applied VMOP. It sounds like the VMOP panel is made of faculty combined with upperclass vet students. Apparently, the VMOP interview is a little more intense....and some students did feel like they were in the hot seat, but really they just want to make sure that you can succeed at UC Davis despite hardships, etc. Supposedly, the VMOP committee can plead your case if you are on the cusp of admissions or even rejected after your regular interview pending you did well at the VMOP interview. This is just what I have heard from current students though so I can't promise this is actually how it works. Good luck everyone!

Thank you for asking around for us! Are the questions similar to the regular interview or more pertaining to what was written on our VMOP application?

Yes! Thank you. Correct me if I said anything wrong about VMOP! By the way, you are hilarious....I love how you left a note correcting yourself after the interview. Classic :)

I got the impression they were much more focused on your VMOP application and how you are going to succeed in vet school given challenges. I would ask nyanko though, she knows all about it!

Hey! I received my interview invite (IS) today too and also will have a VMOP interview. :horns:

Does anyone know when people that DON'T get interviewed get their rejection letters?

I absolutely adore Kathleen - she is one of the sweetest people I have ever met and I know she absolutely loves being part of the admissions process, welcoming all of you when you come for your interview and providing a smiling, friendly face to help calm your nerves. :)

It is SO hard to get through the phone line! Hahaha.

Why do I feel like its game over??

It's easy to assume the worse in these types of situation. Try to stay upbeat, though. After all, you haven't received any decision yet and the process is not over. Plus, there are waitlists and what not. Hang in there. At least you know what you want to do with your life. That puts you ahead of the vast majority of folks out there.

Are you considering other programs as well?

It's easy to assume the worse in these types of situation. Try to stay upbeat, though. After all, you haven't received any decision yet and the process is not over. Plus, there are waitlists and what not. Hang in there. At least you know what you want to do with your life. That puts you ahead of the vast majority of folks out there.

Are you considering other programs as well?

Yeah but Davis is my top choice. I just find it odd that I've heard positives from OOS schools but buptkiss from Davis. Unless they are still sending out interview invites, but it's already been 3 days.

Yeah but Davis is my top choice. I just find it odd that I've heard positives from OOS schools but buptkiss from Davis. Unless they are still sending out interview invites, but it's already been 3 days.

Hang tight. As mooshagen said, the phone line is still being bombarded from the invites they sent out 2 days ago. At least you've heard good news from OOS. It's not over until the first day of vet school!

I don't find it odd. I find it promising. I have yet to hear a peep from Western and Penn. :shrug:

Enjoy your weekend. Things will sort themselves out.

I feel ya TigerWillow. I'm in the same boat as you. It's so hard waiting and not knowing :scared:

As far as the VMOP interview goes, I felt that they actually took it pretty easy about my past. They only asked me one question about how I felt my past had made me stronger. It is a little more daunting because there are 6-7 people interviewing you instead of 3. But I remember leaving thinking that it was odd that they didn't actually dig into my past. There is no tracking of students once they get it accepted. So the program basically grants you the extra interview to help fight for you with the general interview committee. Be prepared for lots of ethical questions. :)

I absolutely adore Kathleen - she is one of the sweetest people I have ever met and I know she absolutely loves being part of the admissions process, welcoming all of you when you come for your interview and providing a smiling, friendly face to help calm your nerves. :)

I finally got past the busy signal today! I was sooo impressed by how friendly and upbeat Kathleen was after spending three straight days on the phone with jittery applicants.

Tigerwillow and Wildlife Woman, we are all in the same boat. I haven't heard from Davis either.

Tigerwillow and Wildlife Woman, we are all in the same boat. I haven't heard from Davis either.

Me either. I choose to believe that they're just being slow and we'll hear from them next week (with good news!) Take care everyone and don't eat too many cinnamon rolls or ho hos over the weekend! :)

Me either. I choose to believe that they're just being slow and we'll hear from them next week (with good news!) Take care everyone and don't eat too many cinnamon rolls or ho hos over the weekend! :)

I've moved on to my second pint of Ben and Jerry's. Ive gained 3 pounds.

On the other hand, I don't really need to worry about gaining weight since I'm still under my normal BMI. Blerg