University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol I got the exact same PCAT mark as you mate, slightly less GPA, and I'm in first year.

Members don't see this ad.

How does UBC Pharmacy calculate pre-requisite percentage for non-UBC students? For example, I have a pre-requisite GPA of 3.7 (on a 4.33 scale) and want to convert that to percentage?

Hey all,

I got a 3.58 GPA on all of the pre-reqs, but unfortunately got a poor mark in 2nd year Organic and dropped that average down to 3.29.

Will they really ignore all of my other marks completely and only look at the 3.29 GPA?

I took the PCAT yesterday and the preliminary score sheet put me at 91 composite PR. I bombed the last section (quantitative) because I let myself get hung up on a couple hard questions at the beginning, so I ran out of time and guessed a ton of them.

Verbal Ability - 92
Biology - 90
Reading Comprehension - 88
Quantitative Ability - 39 :(
Chemistry - 95
Composite 91

I was amazed, because on my practice tests I always breezed through Quantitative and did terribly on Chemistry. How is the essay question factored in to the composite? Writing has always been easy for me, so hopefully the essay will bump that up as well.

So I am likely to get an interview?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I got a 3.58 GPA on all of the pre-reqs, but unfortunately got a poor mark in 2nd year Organic and dropped that average down to 3.29.

Will they really ignore all of my other marks completely and only look at the 3.29 GPA?

I took the PCAT yesterday and the preliminary score sheet put me at 91 composite PR. I bombed the last section (quantitative) because I let myself get hung up on a couple hard questions at the beginning, so I ran out of time and guessed a ton of them.

Verbal Ability - 92
Biology - 90
Chemistry - 95
Composite 91

I was amazed, because on my practice tests I always breezed through Quantitative and did terribly on Chemistry. How is the essay question factored in to the composite? Writing has always been easy for me, so hopefully the essay will bump that up as well.

Sweet score, and definitely down for an interview with a properly completed application. The essay isn't factored into the composite score, which is why that section could have "technically" been skipped (if applying to UBC only).

As for your GPA, they will only use your pre-req's so 3.29 (converted into a %, so about 75-77% (?)) is what they'll review your application as. If you don't feel comfortable enough with that, you can always take more pre-reqs if you still have some leftover - statistics and anatomy are always good GPA boosters. And as with most people, an average or slightly above average interview score will likely get you into the program :thumbup:

What people should really understand is that when they say the acceptance average is xx%, that means it is the average. This means that there are people who got in with marks above that number, as well as marks below that number. If you are 5-10% below average don't worry too much. Your application, marks, work history, education history, as well as extracurriculars will get you an interview, and your people skills will get you through that.

Source: 2nd year student.

What people should really understand is that when they say the acceptance average is xx%, that means it is the average. This means that there are people who got in with marks above that number, as well as marks below that number. If you are 5-10% below average don't worry too much. Your application, marks, work history, education history, as well as extracurriculars will get you an interview, and your people skills will get you through that.

Source: 2nd year student.

What was the acceptance average for your cycle?

Probably the high 70s or low 80s but I've never looked into it. The point being though that there are many many many factors they take into account besides marks when making a selection. And as an average there are people above it as well as below it, and at a certain point communication skills and life experiences weigh in as much as academics.

September 2011 admission averages:
???

September 2010 admission averages:
Academic: 81%
PCAT: 86%
MMI score: 81%

September 2009 admission averages:
Academic: 80.2%
PCAT: 87%
Pharmacy application: 58 (don't know what this is out of and did not appear during the 2010 request for averages)
Classic interview score: 75%

Last edited:
???

Pharmacy application: 58

Hi,

Are those officially released stats or just estimates?

I did quite poorly on the PCAT (71 percentile) and I was wondering what are the chances that I'll have to redo my pcat again.

My gpa is ~80 (still doing chem235/micb202)
EC: avg? (not sure how involved other applicants are)

Is there a good chance I can get an interview?

I still have pcat books incoming from the library that I ordered like half a year ago but never came until now so if I need to redo my pcat I have to start reading the pcat books as they come. =/

Hi,

Are those officially released stats or just estimates?

Official. 71 is on the lower end of the PCAT range but it won't hurt to apply anyway (I know it's possible to get an interview with < 70 on the PCAT, or it was a few years ago). Regardless, complete a thorough application and see where it takes you; if it doesn't work out, redo it in the summer when you have more time to study.

Last edited:
???

Pharmacy application: 58

Woow thanks! Where did you get these stats.. like is there a site where they post all of this?

Also, im not sure what was meant by "pharmacy application"?

Woow thanks! Where did you get these stats.. like is there a site where they post all of this?

Also, im not sure what was meant by "pharmacy application"?

http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/programs/degree-programs/BscP/aboutus
Refer to "Application Procedures" - basically the online application that you need to complete (like a resume/CV), probably should have worded that better.

Stats are available upon request from the Faculty's student services office, to students who were not accepted into the program after each admission cycle. Generally a comparison between an applicant's marks versus the averages of the admitted class to help students figure out where he or she needs further improvement on to be competitive. Unlike UBC MED, there isn't a page for Pharmacy application/admission averages and what not.

http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/programs/degree-programs/BscP/aboutus
Refer to &quot;Application Procedures&quot; - basically the online application that you need to complete (like a resume/CV), probably should have worded that better.

Stats are available upon request from the Faculty's student services office, to students who were not accepted into the program after each admission cycle. Generally a comparison between an applicant's marks versus the averages of the admitted class to help students figure out where he or she needs further improvement on to be competitive. Unlike UBC MED, there isn't a page for Pharmacy application/admission averages and what not.

what's the application out of? 100?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I go to a community college and have finished all my pre-reqs for pharmacy and am applying this year! However, my community college doesnt offer any of the additional courses I could have taken if I were at a bigger community college or an university

I was just wondering how 1st year in pharmacy school will be like? I heard that if I havent taken any additional courses that are part of the 1st year curriculum, (Organic chem, microbio, stats, physiology, anataomy), I would be bombarded by the amount of work load in the first year. I see that most people have taken some of these additional courses before getting in...I was wondering if any of you who have not taken any of these courses before getting in??? How is it like to suddenly take 5~7 courses in 1st year of pharmacy?? The maximum I have taken each term is 3....Any advice would help! thank you!

So my average is about 79%. PCAT 97 percentile. Will my PCAT actually affect my ranking that much, or am I doomed?

So my average is about 79%. PCAT 97 percentile. Will my PCAT actually affect my ranking that much, or am I doomed?

As Shiim has already inferred, an average of (80 +/- 5)% is solid enough to get into the program now. At the end of the day, you need to remember that the interview is worth a large portion of your overall "point" total when you're being ranked for admissions. Even if someone has a 90% average, a weak interview will still severely hurt his or her chances of getting in (I'm sure you've heard this happen a lot to medical school applicants...).

All I can say is that you're far from being "doomed" and don't see how you could miss out on an interview with a 97 PCAT score. So, relax, follow through on the interview and you'll breeze in :D

How do you guys calculate your percentage averages based on a 4.0 GPA scale?

I got in with 79% average and 83 on PCAT. So no, you're not doomed.

Hey all,

Verbal Ability - 92
Biology - 90
Chemistry - 95
Composite 91

Yes, you'll get called for an interview unless you leave the personal essay section blank. lol

Hi
I am a second year student at UBC.

My current GPA is 86.7 but I believe I can raise it up to around 87%
(I haven't finished the second term part of the PHYS)

I have finished all the pre-requites (except second term PHYS), and STAT 203 so far.

However, I have not received good PCAT percentile.

I was ranked in the PCAT composite as 74th percentile... :mad:
I got 94th in BIOL, 81st in Math and Chem but got 20th on the reading. WTH? :confused:
Would UBC look specifically what ranking I received in the each section, or only the composite?
I thought the reading was very easy; it was second easiest section among other sections, but apparently not.

Would you guys think that I have a shot at an interview with such low PCAT mark?
I am deeply concerned with my PCAT score.
Please help me get some sense of where I might be at :)

Thank you
I know someone who got in with 65 on PCAT so you do not need to worry THAT much. You're GPA is way above average so you should get called for an interview for sure.

At the end everything counts !!!

Last edited:
Hi
I am a second year student at UBC.

My current GPA is 86.7 but I believe I can raise it up to around 87%
(I haven't finished the second term part of the PHYS)

I have finished all the pre-requites (except second term PHYS), and STAT 203 so far.

However, I have not received good PCAT percentile.

I was ranked in the PCAT composite as 74th percentile... :mad:
I got 94th in BIOL, 81st in Math and Chem but got 20th on the reading. WTH? :confused:
Would UBC look specifically what ranking I received in the each section, or only the composite?
I thought the reading was very easy; it was second easiest section among other sections, but apparently not.

Would you guys think that I have a shot at an interview with such low PCAT mark?
I am deeply concerned with my PCAT score.
Please help me get some sense of where I might be at :)

Thank you

Are you kidding me??? 87% will for sure get you an interview !!!

Are you kidding me??? 87% will for sure get you an interview !!!

From what I understand, the committee doesn't look at the academic average until post-interview, just the application and your composite score on the PCAT. But regardless, no problem getting the interview.

^^^ Scratch this. May or may not be correct ^^^

Last edited:
From what I understand, the committee doesn't look at the academic average until post-interview, just the application and your composite score on the PCAT. But regardless, no problem getting the interview.
I have to disagree on this one. I'm not sure how the application procedure works but ignoring the academic average until after interviews seems a bit weird. It does not explain how students with 65 to 70 on PCAT get invitation for interviews. Can you please clarify where you got this information? :)

I rmb Margaret came into our 201 class during the first week and she said basically pre interview its 50% gpa 25% pcat 25% application, post interview its 40% interview 50% gpa 10% application. However these % can change slightly from year to year depending on the incoming pool of applicants.

I have to disagree on this one. I'm not sure how the application procedure works but ignoring the academic average until after interviews seems a bit weird. It does not explain how students with 65 to 70 on PCAT get invitation for interviews. Can you please clarify where you got this information? :)

One of my friends called last year and that's what one of the ladies told him. Perhaps he misunderstood. Although one may argue that there would be a larger imbalance in the number of courses taken by each applicant (having a first year student taking only about six of the required pre-reqs by that time, so a possible inflation or deflation of marks?) if they were to rank individuals for the interview process using marks too?

*shrugs* Maybe we should just rely on JHTu's information instead :)

Hello, I just have a question about pharmacy requirements. I'm currently in high school and I'm taking AP Chemistry. On the UBC website, it says if I get 4+ on the AP exam I will get credit for CHEM121. As well, it will convert AP mark to a percentage (for example if I got 4 I would get a 86% mark) which could be used for admission average. I was wondering if AP Chemistry could be used as a prerequiste replacing CHEM121? Or would I still have to take CHEM121 first year anyway?
Thanks (if no one knows, I'll just email UBC I guess :p)

No marks are awarded; just exemptions, meaning you are not required to take that course.

Hi
I just finished submitting the online application form.
However, I saw on the application status that I am missing PCAT result, and 2 reference letters.
I have submitted the two reference letters last month and I have taken PCAT in January.
I am really worried now that the deadline is coming up soon. :(

Did anyone went through the same experience as this before?
Would it change to "received" once the people working at the office update it?

Thanks

Hi
I just finished submitting the online application form.
However, I saw on the application status that I am missing PCAT result, and 2 reference letters.
I have submitted the two reference letters last month and I have taken PCAT in January.
I am really worried now that the deadline is coming up soon. :(

Did anyone went through the same experience as this before?
Would it change to "received" once the people working at the office update it?

Thanks

Status updates are done in mid-March, or that's what has been done historically. As long as you sent your stuff to the right address and selected UBC during the PCAT registration, you're good to go :)

Do I have a chance for even getting an interview?
Graduated with biochemistry 2011.
Avg GPA: 72%
PCAT: 69%
pretty solid extra-curriculars, work experience, and LORs.

Everyone has a chance. Seems like they've changed the application process a bit this year with a decrease in the number of words on the person statements (which may mean they could be reading them more thoroughly this year?) and in the number of individuals chosen for interviews.

Can't do too much now so just relax until the results come out :xf:. Sounds like you had a solid application though :) - best of luck to you!

Just curious- Does anyone know how UBC pharmacy converts from letter grades on a 4.0 scale to percentage grades? I found a conversion chart on the UBC medicine website but nothing specific to pharmacy...

Faculty of Pharmacy doesn't calculate your GPA. It is the Student Service Center ( UBC General admissions ) who calculates your GPA and send it to the Pharmacy department . So there is no specific GPA conversation table for Faculty of Pharmacy. The GPA conversion table for the med should be similar to what you expect for the pharmacy or any other faculty!!

This information is too good also provide more information on pharmacy student resume which is required for us.

hey thanks for your words of encouragement! but what do you mean they decreased the number of individuals chosen for interviews this year? i thought it was 350 people being interviewed with 224 being accepted.

Yep, I think they went a little over 350 last year but they're probably going a bit stricter on the 350 person cap. Good for when you get the interview :)

I applied for the UBC pharmacy program this year. got 84 as a composite PCAT score and my cumulative GPA is 3.8. I'm graduating with a BSc in Biology this year and really hoping to get into UBC this fall. Are my GPA and PCAT score competitive?

Status says pcat grades have been received but reference letters haven't been seen. It was sent in January... anyone having the same issue?

I applied for the UBC pharmacy program this year. got 84 as a composite PCAT score and my cumulative GPA is 3.8. I'm graduating with a BSc in Biology this year and really hoping to get into UBC this fall. Are my GPA and PCAT score competitive?

Very much so :)

Status says pcat grades have been received but reference letters haven't been seen. It was sent in January... anyone having the same issue?

They take a while to update. Check mid-March.

I sent my references letters at the end of January. a few days ago, it said they hadn't been received. but today I checked and it said received. It could be until March 15, so don't worry. Hopefully yours will say received soon :)

thanks for the reply. I'm really hoping to get an interview

hey thanks for your words of encouragement! but what do you mean they decreased the number of individuals chosen for interviews this year? i thought it was 350 people being interviewed with 224 being accepted.

Margaret actually sent out an e-mail saying 350-400 will be invited... so its actually INCREASING slightly!

Margaret actually sent out an e-mail saying 350-400 will be invited... so its actually INCREASING slightly!

Good to know :) - more room for everyone to showcase their talent.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I just finished reading last years forum, and this year it seems so dead. where is everybody haha

Anyone else applying from Uvic this year? Does anyone know how UBC calculates grade percentages from letter grades? Uvic only gives out letter grades unfortunately. I really hope they don't take the lower end of the scale..

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I just finished reading last years forum, and this year it seems so dead. where is everybody haha

Anyone else applying from Uvic this year? Does anyone know how UBC calculates grade percentages from letter grades? Uvic only gives out letter grades unfortunately. I really hope they don't take the lower end of the scale..

Thanks

Like pharmlover22 mentioned above, it's really a mystery since the Department does not do any of the conversions. You could refer to the one UBC MED uses but use caution.

Quoted from the Physiotherapy Department: "As universities and colleges have varying grade point scales, all grades will be converted to percentage using grade conversion tables provided to us by UBC Enrolment Services and/or information found on the back of official transcripts. The Admissions Office does not disclose its grading conversion tables to applicants. Official English translations are required for all Foreign transcripts that are not already in English." (http://www.physicaltherapy.med.ubc....ve_students/mpt_admissions/admission_faqs.htm).

Regardless, prepare for the worst case scenario and move forward with that in mind.

When r interview invites usually sent out? Thanks!