University of Minnesota c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How much did your waitlist seat jump post deadline update?
Mine jumped 7 spots at deadline update, and I sat at number 1 for an entire month after that. It was incredibly stressful

Should I stay hopeful at IS #14? How likely is that?
Once again it varies so much each year it's hard to say. I'd be optimistic, but have a solid plan for what you will do in case you don't get called.

I got waitlisted IS #40, is it even worth hoping to get an offer? I've never heard of an IS waitlist getting up that high
It's not impossible, but I'd assume it won't make it that high. Crazier things have happened though, so I'd at least keep your name on the list

Members don't see this ad.

So sitting at #48, I should still stay pretty hopeful?
Honestly no idea. It varies so much from year to year... I'm trying to predict based on what's happened in the past but who knows what it'll do this year. Hopefully we'll know more after April 17th.

I interviewed a few of you this year. Sometimes the list moves a lot, sometimes a little. It's not over if you are on the wait list! Congrats to everyone either way :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how frequently UMN sends waitlist number updates? I know we won't hear anything until April 17th at the earliest but does anyone know how often we hear updates after that?

Does anyone know how frequently UMN sends waitlist number updates? I know we won't hear anything until April 17th at the earliest but does anyone know how often we hear updates after that?
Now that I've graduated I'm questioning if this is out of date now, but in the past there's usually a few waves where they do all the updates at once. The first is after the initial decision deadline in April; anyone pulled off the list at that time gets a time period within which to accept or decline. Once that period is past, the next wave goes out, and so on. In 2018 it was roughly 1-2 weeks between those. At each wave there'd be a new mass update. From what I remember that's how it tends to go for the first month or so. After that the list movement slows enough that they pull people off as spots open and the mass waitlist updates are less frequent.
After the second or third wave you can ask them where you are at and they can give you an update.

Reactions: 1 user
Was just accepted into my IS school! I will be giving up my OOS seat. Congrats and good luck to everyone!!

• Care
How much does the admissions deposit cost? Just wondering in case I get into my in-state school last minute and have to withdraw!

Who else is doing the admitted students' day/tour on March 4th?

Reactions: 1 users
Are many people who are on the IS waiting list accepting a position at another school while also accepting a spot on the IS waitlist?

Hello! First year UMN vet student here. Feel free to ask any questions regarding school life!
I'm also a student ambassador so I am excited to meet some of you at the admitted students day!

For those of you on the waitlist, they sent their first updated waitlist in April after deposits have been finalized. Then, they emailed around every 2-3 weeks for the first couple times. Once it slows down, they won't update as much and I just emailed them.
This is coming from personal experience being on waitlist last year so if things changed this year it might be different.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you on the waitlist, they sent their first updated waitlist in April after deposits have been finalized. Then, they emailed around every 2-3 weeks for the first couple times. Once it slows down, they won't update as much and I just emailed them.
This is coming from personal experience being on waitlist last year so if things changed this year it might be different.
This is super helpful, thank you!

• Care
I'm going! Are others bringing a guest with or going alone?
My sister is coming with me. She’s a veterinarian and she’s excited to check out the school with me.

confused as to how she posted so quick

Do I get SDN street cred for being complimented by thee @supershorty ???
She is just as informative and awesome via Zoom as she is on this forum. Now I want to go to UMN. *cries in confusion*

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
My sister is coming with me. She’s a veterinarian and she’s excited to check out the school with me.
My dad is coming with because he is a UMN alum, so I think he may be even more excited than me

• Care
Yes, straight into the signature with that
Tell me why I have yet to figure out how to make a signature or the little blurb thing under my name..it is truly disgusting how bad I am with technology lol

• Care
Tell me why I have yet to figure out how to make a signature or the little blurb thing under my name..it is truly disgusting how bad I am with technology lol
Click your avatar at the top of the page, then click signature for the siggy.

Undertitle is under Account Details

• Care
Hello! First year UMN vet student here. Feel free to ask any questions regarding school life!
I'm also a student ambassador so I am excited to meet some of you at the admitted students day!

Hi, I look forward to meeting you at the admitted students day.
I was wondering if you have any recommendations on the best hotel to stay at during my visit that weekend. Also, do you have any suggestions for places to live? I want to be as close to school as possible. I'm from southern California and I am not accustomed to driving in snow.
Thank you for offering to help answer our questions.

Hi, I look forward to meeting you at the admitted students day.
I was wondering if you have any recommendations on the best hotel to stay at during my visit that weekend. Also, do you have any suggestions for places to live? I want to be as close to school as possible. I'm from southern California and I am not accustomed to driving in snow.
Thank you for offering to help answer our questions.
Oo I don't have any particular recommendations on hotels because I've also never stayed at a hotel here. There aren't many hotels super near the St. Paul campus (from my knowledge) so most of my classmates stayed in a hotel in Minneapolis and took Ubers back and forth. It also depends on if you are planning on renting a car or if you want to explore the city as well.

As for living, there are many apartments and houses right off of the southwest corner of campus. The Animal Science Building (where all first year classes will be) is close to that corner.
I'm not sure if the UMN Class of 2027 facebook group has been set up yet but last year they released a spread sheet of housing resources. There will also be plenty of upperclassmen that are looking for housemates/roommates once the facebook group is set up. Otherwise, you can also set up tours with apartments you are interested in when you are here. Although they most likely won't have late summer vacancies just yet, you could get a feel of what a unit is like for further reference. Looking for housing really depends on what people's priorities are.
I am also from California so I pretty much don't leave my house if there is a lot of snow. We've had our classes all turn over to zoom for the past 2 days because of snow. They are pretty good about plowing too.

Oo I don't have any particular recommendations on hotels because I've also never stayed at a hotel here. There aren't many hotels super near the St. Paul campus (from my knowledge) so most of my classmates stayed in a hotel in Minneapolis and took Ubers back and forth. It also depends on if you are planning on renting a car or if you want to explore the city as well.

As for living, there are many apartments and houses right off of the southwest corner of campus. The Animal Science Building (where all first year classes will be) is close to that corner.
I'm not sure if the UMN Class of 2027 facebook group has been set up yet but last year they released a spread sheet of housing resources. There will also be plenty of upperclassmen that are looking for housemates/roommates once the facebook group is set up. Otherwise, you can also set up tours with apartments you are interested in when you are here. Although they most likely won't have late summer vacancies just yet, you could get a feel of what a unit is like for further reference. Looking for housing really depends on what people's priorities are.
I am also from California so I pretty much don't leave my house if there is a lot of snow. We've had our classes all turn over to zoom for the past 2 days because of snow. They are pretty good about plowing it too.
Thanks!
The information you are sharing is very helpful.
I did not see a Facebook set up for the Class of 2027 yet, but I did hear on one of our webinars that the spreadsheet of housing resources is normally available around May.
Now that I have been accepted, I have had time to process this and I am getting a bit worried about being prepared. I am sure I will learn more when I visit the campus.
It is scary to think about how bad the snow can get that you are stuck at home, but it is great to know that Minnesota offers classes on Zoom.
I hope the weather clears up a bit to make my trip there a little smoother.

• Care
Thanks!
The information you are sharing is very helpful.
I did not see a Facebook set up for the Class of 2027 yet, but I did hear on one of our webinars that the spreadsheet of housing resources is normally available around May.
Now that I have been accepted, I have had time to process this and I am getting a bit worried about being prepared. I am sure I will learn more when I visit the campus.
It is scary to think about how bad the snow can get that you are stuck at home, but it is great to know that Minnesota offers classes on Zoom.
Glad I can be of any help!
I think the facebook group link might be sent once the deposit deadline is over.
As for the snow, it is intimidating but you are not alone and people are so willing to help! That being said I would invest in warm winter clothes and good winter boots. You've got plenty of time and the college will be giving you plenty of resources to be prepared.

For hotels, there are a few in Roseville along highway 35W that will be easy to get to campus from.
There's also a hotel on the Minneapolis campus; from there you can take the free shuttle to the St Paul campus where the vet school is. That might be hard to navigate as the hotel is not right on a shuttle stop, but if you want to check out the rest of the university it could be a fun option. It's also very close to the light rail, which goes to downtown minneapolis, the mall of america, and the airport. Not sure what their pricing is though

For housing the southwest corner of campus iyoun mentioned will be your best bet to be close. There's also a lot of options along Como avenue.
Honestly it's relatively rare that you are truly 'stuck' at home due to snow. This past week was predicted to be one of the top 10 snowfalls in MN record so places closed or moved online in anticipation. The road clearing system is pretty robust so it's usually just a matter of preparing for travel to take a bit more time, especially if you're close to campus.
MN has (or at least used to have) most lectures livestreamed anyway, so you can avoid going out in the snow if you really want to.

I was also very nervous about driving in the snow before I moved here, so I understand how you’re feeling and hopefully I can put your mind at ease a little bit. I even posted in this forum asking if my Prius would be able to get around! I do put snow tires on every winter to be extra cautious, but I’ve never had an issue driving in the snow so far. I live in Minneapolis and drive to St. Paul, and the roads are generally cleared very well over my whole drive.

And as mentioned above, there will usually only be 1-2 days a week you’re required to be on campus, depending on the semester. All of our live lectures are simultaneously broadcast on Zoom so you can watch live from home, and they’re recorded so you can watch later. It’s really just active learning sessions and labs you have to be on campus for, so most of my class doesn’t even come to campus most days.

Honestly, as someone who is from Minnesota, I never considered people being worried about the weather! Do not worry you will learn to love it and there are so many fun things to do in the winter. I think we need a class field trip to go skiing and snowboarding :) Snow tires are good for cars or you can simply put a few sandbags in the back to weigh it down. Also not a bad idea to keep a shovel, snowbrush, and extra blankets and clothes in your car in case you get stuck.

• Love
On the topic of driving in Minnesota winters, I am a current undergrad at UMN and my front wheel drive stick-shift Corolla does fine! They do a pretty good job of clearing the roads. I had never driven in the snow before moving here. Even though the first few times were pretty anxiety-inducing, I got used to it pretty quickly!

I have a Prius and didn't bother with snow tires for the first 10 years I had it out here and did okay. It has snow tires now because my parents were out visiting for my thesis defense and drove it in the snow and then they insisted on buying snow tires for me :laugh:. I will say they have made a difference, but in general, the roads are cleared fast enough that you can get around pretty decently without them.

Honestly, as someone who is from Minnesota, I never considered people being worried about the weather! Do not worry you will learn to love it and there are so many fun things to do in the winter. I think we need a class field trip to go skiing and snowboarding :) Snow tires are good for cars or you can simply put a few sandbags in the back to weigh it down. Also not a bad idea to keep a shovel, snowbrush, and extra blankets and clothes in your car in case you get stuck.
I'm so thrilled to do stuff in the snow. And have white Christmases. And go for chilly snowy walks 😍

• Care
When is the 2023-2024 FAFSA deadline? If I am on the waiting list for UMN, should I still fill out a form?

When is the 2023-2024 FAFSA deadline? If I am on the waiting list for UMN, should I still fill out a form?
I would fill it out.
You never know.
My sister is a veterinarian. She went to Colorado State and she said she remembered someone went to orientation and when they “found out” how much CSU was going to cost, they backed out of attending. Alternates were contacted and a student showed up but my sister said it sucked for him because he missed out on participating in the orientation, which she said was a lot of fun because you get to meet fellow students, and the alternate was also seated at the end of their study cubes. The study cubes is an area the students are given to study and everyone is seated in alphabetical order. The alternate was a last minute add-on so he was seated at the very end.
Of course, it was awesome to be accepted, but I can just imagine how stressful it was for this student who scrambled together everything so they could make it before the first day of class.
Just don’t understand how the student who gave up their seat didn’t realize the cost of vet school until they went to orientation.
I’m sure everyone has heard a crazy story.
It’s just best to be prepared.

I was wondering if Minnesota has a preference for Macs or another type of computer.
Should we have an iPad/tablet?
Other recommendations for other things we should have in our 1st year?
Thank you!

I was wondering if Minnesota has a preference for Macs or another type of computer.
Thank you!
I think they said they would send out more info for tech, housing, etc in may

Thank you!
I think there are specs for screen size but no specific brand requirements or anything. I’ve had various Surface Pro models (that tbh didn’t meet the screen specs lol) and they’ve been more than adequate during my time here.

I think there are specs for screen size but no specific brand requirements or anything. I’ve had various Surface Pro models (that tbh didn’t meet the screen specs lol) and they’ve been more than adequate during my time here.
Good to know.
I was thinking about getting a Surface…
Do you love having the Surface, or do you wish you had gotten something else?

The screen specs are a lie! I bought a brick of a laptop based on the specs they sent, then had to haul it around for 3 years (heavy!) and it never became necessary. Still bitter about it clearly

• Haha
Good to know.
I was thinking about getting a Surface…
Do you love having the Surface, or do you wish you had gotten something else?
The Surface Pros have been great. I recommend homing your notes on something cloud-based rather than the tablet itself - that saved my life when my first one died shortly before my preliminary exam in my PhD and I thought I had lost all my vet school notes, but they were salvaged because I save them all on dropbox instead of on the hard drive. Also makes the device run faster since the storage isn't all being used up.

The screen specs are a lie! I bought a brick of a laptop based on the specs they sent, then had to haul it around for 3 years (heavy!) and it never became necessary. Still bitter about it clearly
I'm pretty sure talking to you about your brick was what prompted me to get the Surface Pro initially and I've never regretted it :laugh:

• Haha
Who’s all going to the admitted students days this weekend??

I wasn't able to go to admitted students day or join the zoom (at work), I would really like to hear the opinions of anyone that was able to go!