University of Missouri CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has any other OOS accepted or will be accepting their seat?!
As of now I am highly considering it! But I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Got into my IS, so I will also be declining my OOS seat! Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 user
When I visited Mizzou I got the impression that *everyone* had a dog! Can anyone speak of their experience on this? I have concerns about not being able to support a pet financially (due to cost of living and essentially being out of work for a while while trying to focus on studying) as well as not being home enough to give him/her the required attention and love.

Lol... I came to vet school thinking "Oh I probably won't get a pet until second year because I'm a responsible adult and know my limits."

I made it until our first "midterm" week and decided I was sad and wanted pets to love. So I adopted two baby rats and I love them. I would say a lot of people adopt dogs and cats after the first semester (if they didn't already bring their animals with them) after you're "adjusted" to your awful schedule. So my advice would be to wait until you're comfortable with balancing your schedule and then add a crazy pet to the mix. We get discounted food through companies, and I believe discounted vet care (but I'm not sure since I think it's mainly for dogs and cats). And if you want pet love without committing there's the greyhounds that need love (and homes!) and plenty of students that want to socialize their animals. (Like my rats need to be handled by other people, haha.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I'm trying to remember some of the things I heard on my tour and am having some trouble...can any current student weigh in on these questions?
  • Are you on a quarter system? You have one set of classes for 8 weeks and then start new classes, correct?
  • How many quizzes/exams do you have per week or quarter?
  • Is there a specific computer required?
  • What's the dress code?
  • Is there anything you wish you would have known before you started?
  • If you could change one thing about the program, what would it be?
Sorry for all the questions - just trying to make some decisions! Thanks.

Hi all,
I'm trying to remember some of the things I heard on my tour and am having some trouble...can any current student weigh in on these questions?
  • Are you on a quarter system? You have one set of classes for 8 weeks and then start new classes, correct?
  • How many quizzes/exams do you have per week or quarter?
  • Is there a specific computer required?
  • What's the dress code?
  • Is there anything you wish you would have known before you started?
  • If you could change one thing about the program, what would it be?
Sorry for all the questions - just trying to make some decisions! Thanks.
-> Yes, we are on an 8 week block system. Besides the gigantic classes (anatomy, microanatomy, systemic pathology, etc.), you switch up your schedule and classes every 8 week. Also, the first two blocks are really a "semester," to ease you in to the schedule.
-> The first "semester" is relatively light in terms of exams and quizzes, but I think there's a normal 1-3 exams per week depending on the block. Keep in mind that while you make have more exams, it's less material per exam, prevents you from majorly falling behind, and you still fit in 3-4 exams per class per block.
-> No specific computer needed! Lots of us LOVE our versatile Surfaces, though others have little tablets to take notes on, or Macs, or Dells, or whatever else your heart desires.
->The dress code prohibits flip-flops, athletic wear, or T-shirts from schools that aren't mizzou/vet med related. Most people wear Jeans + Hoodie/T-shirt/blouse.
-> I wish I would have known how easy it was to fit in/belong here. I was SO WORRIED that I wouldn't make friends or that the professors would be snobby/mean.... that's so very far from the truth. The professors frequently give out their numbers to those that have questions or need them, will sacrifice their weekend to come help you in anatomy lab, and are great people overall. Your classmates will become your war buddies, and you will quickly forge friendship through the fire that is vet school. We are all pretty close knit as a result.
-> Hmmm... If I could change something I would: 1) put first year parking closer to the school 2) Move around classes/exams to where they fall a little better and where we wouldn't have classes during finals week. That being said, there is a survey we fill out every single block about how things could improve, and they are actively trying to make this better so for future years it will probably be less of an issue. We can also vote on changing a few things schedule wise so most of it isn't an issue.

Hoped that helped! If you have any other questions feel free to ask entire on this thread or by PMing me!

-> Yes, we are on an 8 week block system. Besides the gigantic classes (anatomy, microanatomy, systemic pathology, etc.), you switch up your schedule and classes every 8 week. Also, the first two blocks are really a "semester," to ease you in to the schedule.
-> The first "semester" is relatively light in terms of exams and quizzes, but I think there's a normal 1-3 exams per week depending on the block. Keep in mind that while you make have more exams, it's less material per exam, prevents you from majorly falling behind, and you still fit in 3-4 exams per class per block.
-> No specific computer needed! Lots of us LOVE our versatile Surfaces, though others have little tablets to take notes on, or Macs, or Dells, or whatever else your heart desires.
->The dress code prohibits flip-flops, athletic wear, or T-shirts from schools that aren't mizzou/vet med related. Most people wear Jeans + Hoodie/T-shirt/blouse.
-> I wish I would have known how easy it was to fit in/belong here. I was SO WORRIED that I wouldn't make friends or that the professors would be snobby/mean.... that's so very far from the truth. The professors frequently give out their numbers to those that have questions or need them, will sacrifice their weekend to come help you in anatomy lab, and are great people overall. Your classmates will become your war buddies, and you will quickly forge friendship through the fire that is vet school. We are all pretty close knit as a result.
-> Hmmm... If I could change something I would: 1) put first year parking closer to the school 2) Move around classes/exams to where they fall a little better and where we wouldn't have classes during finals week. That being said, there is a survey we fill out every single block about how things could improve, and they are actively trying to make this better so for future years it will probably be less of an issue. We can also vote on changing a few things schedule wise so most of it isn't an issue.

Hoped that helped! If you have any other questions feel free to ask entire on this thread or by PMing me!
Thanks so much!

When I visited Mizzou I got the impression that *everyone* had a dog! Can anyone speak of their experience on this? I have concerns about not being able to support a pet financially (due to cost of living and essentially being out of work for a while while trying to focus on studying) as well as not being home enough to give him/her the required attention and love.

Definitely not every student has a dog (or pet for that matter). I'd say a good majority of the class does have some kind of pet coming into veterinary school, but not having one that first semester can be a big advantage! There will be *plenty* of animals that will need homes (research animals, blood donors, animals who are given up at the hospital for various reasons, etc). I have two dogs myself. One I moved here with (when he was about 2). He has been great with the whole vet school thing. Able to stay out of a kennel and can go for 12+ hours without being let out. Really helpful for long days at the clinics now. I adopted a 10 week old puppy in Block 5 (June) of my first/second year. May not have been the greatest decision, but it was a good time to do it and he has been a wonderful addition. Now at almost 2 years of age, he's able to go for all day in his crate when I'm in clinics. Hopefully that helps? My guys are super low maintenance, though. They are happy with the love they get when I get home from clinics, sometimes a walk during the week if I can manage it, and dog park/off leash romps/parks/long walks on the weekends. Plenty of people here have just cats, or some other kind of lower maintenance pet (and it would be much easier on me if I didn't have my dogs). But I wouldn't change it for the world. If you want to have a dog, you make it work :)

Lol... I came to vet school thinking "Oh I probably won't get a pet until second year because I'm a responsible adult and know my limits."

I made it until our first "midterm" week and decided I was sad and wanted pets to love. So I adopted two baby rats and I love them. I would say a lot of people adopt dogs and cats after the first semester (if they didn't already bring their animals with them) after you're "adjusted" to your awful schedule. So my advice would be to wait until you're comfortable with balancing your schedule and then add a crazy pet to the mix. We get discounted food through companies, and I believe discounted vet care (but I'm not sure since I think it's mainly for dogs and cats). And if you want pet love without committing there's the greyhounds that need love (and homes!) and plenty of students that want to socialize their animals. (Like my rats need to be handled by other people, haha.)
Hahaha great to hear your experience with this, I'll try to be a responsible adult!

Definitely not every student has a dog (or pet for that matter). I'd say a good majority of the class does have some kind of pet coming into veterinary school, but not having one that first semester can be a big advantage! There will be *plenty* of animals that will need homes (research animals, blood donors, animals who are given up at the hospital for various reasons, etc). I have two dogs myself. One I moved here with (when he was about 2). He has been great with the whole vet school thing. Able to stay out of a kennel and can go for 12+ hours without being let out. Really helpful for long days at the clinics now. I adopted a 10 week old puppy in Block 5 (June) of my first/second year. May not have been the greatest decision, but it was a good time to do it and he has been a wonderful addition. Now at almost 2 years of age, he's able to go for all day in his crate when I'm in clinics. Hopefully that helps? My guys are super low maintenance, though. They are happy with the love they get when I get home from clinics, sometimes a walk during the week if I can manage it, and dog park/off leash romps/parks/long walks on the weekends. Plenty of people here have just cats, or some other kind of lower maintenance pet (and it would be much easier on me if I didn't have my dogs). But I wouldn't change it for the world. If you want to have a dog, you make it work :)
Ahh you're so right. And perhaps I got that impression seeing all the pet portraits around. You're very brave getting a puppy but glad to see it worked out. I've always known dogs have to be walked on the daily, how do your dogs get their business done?

Ahh you're so right. And perhaps I got that impression seeing all the pet portraits around. You're very brave getting a puppy but glad to see it worked out. I've always known dogs have to be walked on the daily, how do your dogs get their business done?
Really depends on the dog, honestly. I refused to live somewhere without a fence when I moved to CoMo, so we've got a small fenced in backyard for potty trips. It is wonderful and I would never go the apartment/no fence route. Some dogs really do need to be walked daily. Mine are the kind who will go out and be active if I am, but are also more than happy to lounge around the house with me, too. The puppy was definitely an accident (I did tell myself I wasn't going to get a puppy in vet school, look how that worked out). But he's a wonderful dog, very sweet and laid back like my first guy. I love the pictures they hang on the wall, but even if you don't have a pet, you can still get your picture done with friend's animals :)

So pretty much..

ImageUploadedBySDN1455945175.454173.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
There is a super cute Newfie who was posted to our class page who needs a home (she is in need of a TPLO surgery). I REALLY wanted to take her. I'm at my dog limit, though. With my two boys. Plus I don't have a car big enough for 3 dogs.

There is a super cute Newfie who was posted to our class page who needs a home (she is in need of a TPLO surgery). I REALLY wanted to take her. I'm at my dog limit, though. With my two boys. Plus I don't have a car big enough for 3 dogs.

I knew you would have your eyes on her!! She really is pretty!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has any other OOS accepted or will be accepting their seat?!

I will likely be declining my OOS spot within the next week or so!

Any reason why?
Because I had to narrow down my choices and decided to attend Ohio state (still waiting on my Instate ). I really liked Missouri, but not as much as I liked Ohio- everyone at Missouri seemed to love the school- but everyone at Ohio absolutely LOVED their school.

Does anyone recall approximately when/or in what month the orientation and retreat takes place?

From what I remember, it's the week before classes start and that would be August. Am I right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone recall approximately when/or in what month the orientation and retreat takes place?
From what I remember, it's the week before classes start and that would be August. Am I right?

Your orientation will be the week before classes! It *should* (It's been a few years and my memory isn't the best), be the Sun-Wed, so the 13-17th of August.

I can not recommend orientation enough! It's an AMAZING program and as a very nervous and shy introvert, I LOVED V.E.T.! You get to know classmates, professors, play on water inflatables, get some communication/mental health advice, climb on high ropes (ziplines galore!), and eat good food. It's seriously an awesome orientation!

Quick question- in anatomy lab, how many students per dog or cat?

Quick question- in anatomy lab, how many students per dog or cat?
If they continue the trend of the last few years, you will have 3 other labmates to share a dog and a cat with. However, you will be put into two groups (A and B) the first semester, so you technically switch off with another group of 4, but besides review sessions you aren't there at the same time and are encouraged on weekends/after hours to look at cadavers from other groups.

Your orientation will be the week before classes! It *should* (It's been a few years and my memory isn't the best), be the Sun-Wed, so the 13-17th of August.

I can not recommend orientation enough! It's an AMAZING program and as a very nervous and shy introvert, I LOVED V.E.T.! You get to know classmates, professors, play on water inflatables, get some communication/mental health advice, climb on high ropes (ziplines galore!), and eat good food. It's seriously an awesome orientation!
Thanks!! I appreciate your enthusiasm, you make everything sound so fun! I've always wanted to zip line

If they continue the trend of the last few years, you will have 3 other labmates to share a dog and a cat with. However, you will be put into two groups (A and B) the first semester, so you technically switch off with another group of 4, but besides review sessions you aren't there at the same time and are encouraged on weekends/after hours to look at cadavers from other groups.

Do you ever think 4 per dog/cat is too much? In other words, does it at all feel like groups of 4 is too large to work with when there is only one dog/cat on the table? Does everyone get a good amount exploring the cadaver when working in these groups?

Do you ever think 4 per dog/cat is too much? In other words, does it at all feel like groups of 4 is too large to work with when there is only one dog/cat on the table? Does everyone get a good amount exploring the cadaver when working in these groups?

You get a dog AND a cat for 4 people the first "semester." And it depends on your group. Some groups split into 2 and had two on the cat and two on the dog. My group got along well and we all worked on the dog together and then would switch and try to identify things on the cat (since it's typically harder we found). I never felt like 4 was too much until we got to the head section, but if anyone in the group spoke up and said they didn't understand or wanted help we all helped each other. You aren't going to have your hand held. If you speak up and ask people to repeat what they said or make sure YOU know what they said (instead of just saying yeah I got it next thing).

The first few weeks of large animal (I'm in it now and I can't even tell you how many people) felt like too many people and I didn't mesh with my group (they're great people I just don't study anatomy the same way they do) so I'm kinda hanging around our neighbor group and I'm doing a lot better and the specimens are big enough everyone can get around or you can sit in the back of the group and work on bones / lecture material.

She is absolutely gorgeous and I would steal her if I had extra money for her surgery.

Hi everyone! ✋✋ I finally decided to make an account, although I've been watching this thread for some time! I am currently on the waitlist, and I'm wondering how people are pulled from the list. I read that some schools "don't rank people", and I know Missouri does not give us a ranking. What does it mean when they say there is no ranking? How do they select people??

Just curious if any "older" students (i.e. 30+) will be accepting a spot at Mizzou?

Anyone else get the "congratulations/we look forward to you joining us" email/video? I just got it, but I haven't accepted my seat yet. Was I supposed to be sent this?

I got it too. I think it's just a "hint, hint, you should choose us, because we're awesome and super nice" I think it was a nice gesture

I did too! I thought it was really nice because it's actually personalized. I thought it was really a great gesture from the school.

I got it too and thought it was super cute! Absolutely loved it and it made me even more excited about attending MU! Cannot wait!!!

My friends and I have watched the beginning part probably 50 times. It's the best. :laugh:

I have had a day full of signs and will be accepting my OOS position at MU this week or the next! I can't wait to meet all my fellow classmates!

Reactions: 4 users
I have had a day full of signs and will be accepting my OOS position at MU this week or the next! I can't wait to meet all my fellow classmates!
Ah! Hi future classmate! Are you still waiting to hear from other schools? Is MU REALLY it for you?

Ah! Hi future classmate! Are you still waiting to hear from other schools? Is MU REALLY it for you?

Yes, I've heard back from all school. I never expected to like Mizzou as much as I did but I truly do love it. I felt so comfortable and easily saw myself there. The only con I could come up with was the cold weather but I'm willing to brave that. I knew in the back of my mind all along that I was going to end up accepting this offer but I wanted to give the other schools a chance since Mizzou was my first interview and I was worried I was making a hasty decision since it was the first and everything seemed so wonderful. But now I know its just because MU REALLY is for me :)

Yes, I've heard back from all school. I never expected to like Mizzou as much as I did but I truly do love it. I felt so comfortable and easily saw myself there. The only con I could come up with was the cold weather but I'm willing to brave that. I knew in the back of my mind all along that I was going to end up accepting this offer but I wanted to give the other schools a chance since Mizzou was my first interview and I was worried I was making a hasty decision since it was the first and everything seemed so wonderful. But now I know its just because MU REALLY is for me :)
AHHH! So excited for you! I honestly applied to Mizzou for he hell of it. I added it to my list right before submitting my applications. But when I interviewed there I fell in absolute love! The community feel to it was just so amazing and the staff and professors are so funny! They had me laughing so much! No other schools I interviewed at gave me such reaction. I'm so glad you're choosing Mizzou! We will soon begin our journey and will get through it together! Have you been looking for apartments? Also, where are you from? I'm guessing somewhere nice and warm... I'm from good old cold MA :p

AHHH! So excited for you! I honestly applied to Mizzou for he hell of it. I added it to my list right before submitting my applications. But when I interviewed there I fell in absolute love! The community feel to it was just so amazing and the staff and professors are so funny! They had me laughing so much! No other schools I interviewed at gave me such reaction. I'm so glad you're choosing Mizzou! We will soon begin our journey and will get through it together! Have you been looking for apartments? Also, where are you from? I'm guessing somewhere nice and warm... I'm from good old cold MA :p

I was the same way, it was the only interview where the interviewers and I both laughed and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I agree with you, I've never been in a nicer community, everyone made me feel so comfortable and welcome. I'm from Texas actually so no where near that cold. I haven't looked for any apartments yet, that is the next step. Its just hard not being nearby to go and check places out. Have you looked into any?

The personalized video was indeed a welcoming gesture! How nice of them to take the time.

I was the same way, it was the only interview where the interviewers and I both laughed and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I agree with you, I've never been in a nicer community, everyone made me feel so comfortable and welcome. I'm from Texas actually so no where near that cold. I haven't looked for any apartments yet, that is the next step. Its just hard not being nearby to go and check places out. Have you looked into any?
I will be living with a friend (she's currently a first year at mizzou)! The neighborhood she lives in is really nice and the complexes are nice as well! I'll have my own room and bathroom and rent is really cheap! Let me know if you want the name of the complexes. It's like a 10 min drive to school I believe! Also, have you joined the MU c/o 2020 FB page? :)

I will be living with a friend (she's currently a first year at mizzou)! The neighborhood she lives in is really nice and the complexes are nice as well! I'll have my own room and bathroom and rent is really cheap! Let me know if you want the name of the complexes. It's like a 10 min drive to school I believe! Also, have you joined the MU c/o 2020 FB page? :)

I would love the name, any help is appreciated. I don't know anyone so flying solo. And I have joined the page!

I would love the name, any help is appreciated. I don't know anyone so flying solo. And I have joined the page!
The neighborhood is called Rock Quarry Village and my apartment is managed by KPO properties! Also a student named Molly Ross just posted pictures of her appartment and it looks AWESOME! Definitely check it out!

The neighborhood is called Rock Quarry Village and my apartment is managed by KPO properties! Also a student named Molly Ross just posted pictures of her appartment and it looks AWESOME! Definitely check it out!

There are a lot of older students looking for roommies on the page, hint hint. ;)

Officially accepted my OOS seat as of this afternoon. Can't wait to move to Missouri. :)

Could any current Mizzou students talk a little bit about their food animal program? How's the caseload in the hospital? Do you guys get to do any hands on work with food animals? Do you have any clubs and if so, what activities are the clubs involved in. Thanks!

Could any current Mizzou students talk a little bit about their food animal program? How's the caseload in the hospital? Do you guys get to do any hands on work with food animals? Do you have any clubs and if so, what activities are the clubs involved in. Thanks!
@scb44f is one of our food animal interns, so I'm sure she could give you a good rundown of what to expect clinic/caseload wise. :)

As far as clubs go, we have a pretty active Bovine club here that can get you into a whole bunch of wetlabs (palpations, fetotomy, etc), and there's lot's of food animal conferences to go to too. One of my classmates helped/shadowed one of the clinicans this last summer and got some experience that way too. There's also all sorts of research and externships you can do to get food animal experience here.

If anyone on here has lived in and loved a particular housing complex or area, please share, it would be a great help

I can't speak for the caseload but I'm in Bovine club! I am actually more interested in Swine and Poultry (which we do not have clubs for :( but I have been encouraged to start one). However, a lot of the food animal industries work together so a few of the Bovine club presenters and Lunch and Learn discussions have given me a decent amount of exposure. To get to do Bovine wetlabs you have to show up to the meetings. There's one about every month and they draw names based on who has been showing up and hasn't been able to do one. I got picked a few weeks ago to do the fetotomy one! I had a blast. We got to practice on the weird tables that are "cows" (have a narrow opening to show the difficulty of calf pulling) and reposition and manipulate calves.

There are a lot of older students looking for roommies on the page, hint hint. ;)

I'm starting to feel like my messenger isn't working. I've messaged a ton of people and haven't gotten a response :/