University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wasn't your application in several months ago?

Yea June, but I think it's due to my 26R mcat. At least I didn't hear that they rejected me. The lady said it just went under review to determine if I should get an interview, so I'm guessing there are multiple levels of review

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you that want to meet and talk here at the minority night, I'm wearing jeans and a button up shirt. I'm also Hispanic. PM me if you can't find me

Yea June, but I think it's due to my 26R mcat. At least I didn't hear that they rejected me. The lady said it just went under review to determine if I should get an interview, so I'm guessing there are multiple levels of review

Yea, that makes sense. Several ppl with < 30 mcats have posted IIs so there's no reason why shouldn't get one as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that want to meet and talk here at the minority night, I'm wearing jeans and a button up shirt. I'm also Hispanic. PM me if you can't find me

Hey Mrduralast,

I wasn't able to make it to the minority night, but, do you know or did you ask someone about the dress code for tomorrow? If you know anything I would appreciate if you post it here!

By the way bring all the questions you want answered, and I meant TOMORROW night, don't show up tonight because you will be alone there

Hi drjct,

What is the dress code for the open house?

Everyone was casual, anywhere between work casual and shopping mall casual, at the open house I went.

The dress code for today was causal. All the guys work button up shirts and usual khakis. Tomorrow will be causal as well. I was told to dress comfortably but I assume that doesnt mean to show up in gym shorts and t-shirt. Dress like you would to the movies on a date. I hope that helps a little bit with clarification.

Minority night was really great. I really hope to go here.

Like I said before, just be comfortable, relax no one is judging you, you can wear a casual shirt and slacks even a tie if you feel you have to but my advise is just be comfortable

Ok no doubt about it the open house affirmed this is my #1 pick

1. application based curriculum
2. Dedicated admissions and clinical staff
3. Amazing anatomy and simulation lab
4. State of the art facilities and library
5. Affable student body, professors and preceptors
6. Good rotation sites
7. Above average comlex and usmle scores
8. Overall great reputation allowing for awesome residency placements

The list goes on and on. It just felt like home

Ok no doubt about it the open house affirmed this is my #1 pick

1. application based curriculum
2. Dedicated admissions and clinical staff
3. Amazing anatomy and simulation lab
4. State of the art facilities and library
5. Affable student body, professors and preceptors
6. Good rotation sites
7. Above average comlex and usmle scores
8. Overall great reputation allowing for awesome residency placements

The list goes on and on. It just felt like home

Agreed.
9. The female students were hot.

Seriously though, did anyone understand how he broke down the DO/PhD stipend? He lost me with that one.

Agreed.
9. The female students were hot.

Seriously though, did anyone understand how he broke down the DO/PhD stipend? He lost me with that one.

Basically you do your first 2 years and you pay with your own money then you step out if the DO degree to do the phd and that's paid for and then they also pay for your last 2 years of do degree. However, they don't pay for your living expenses so that'll come out of pocket as well. Make sense? Also, yes they had some very pretty women walking around.

I interviewed this Friday (08/09)
The whole day was organized very well. The admissions staff and 2nd year students were all very friendly and answered everyones questions! We got to visit the lecture rooms, anatomy lab, and OMM lab. The buildings we visited were beautiful and had brand new equipment.

As far for my interviewers, they were both very laid back and just wanted to know more about my background and accomplishments. I did get asked a semi-difficult ethical question, but other than that it was great. I really hope I get an acceptance here because I loved the vibe of the campus and everyone in it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed this Friday (08/09)
The whole day was organized very well. The admissions staff and 2nd year students were all very friendly and answered everyones questions! We got to visit the lecture rooms, anatomy lab, and OMM lab. The buildings we visited were beautiful and had brand new equipment.

As far for my interviewers, they were both very laid back and just wanted to know more about my background and accomplishments. I did get asked a semi-difficult ethical question, but other than that it was great. I really hope I get an acceptance here because I loved the vibe of the campus and everyone in it!

One of the guys I meet at breakfast told me about a hard ethics question he had during the interview; probably was the exact same question. Mind sharing your stats?

One of the guys I meet at breakfast told me about a hard ethics question he had during the interview; probably was the exact same question. Mind sharing your stats?

My interviewer interviewed around 4-5 people so it could have been the same question.

Stats:
IS
GPA: 3.6ish
MCAT: 28

Anyone interviewing on the 22nd of August as well? Just curious :)

Did anyone have difficulty accessing some of the pages of the secondary? Whenever I click on one of the next tabs after the essay it gives me the loading icon but never does anything.

I'm really hoping I can get an II here. I live here and my whole family is close by and with a 3.77s/3.75c/29 I think this is my best shot for an acceptance.

Did anyone have difficulty accessing some of the pages of the secondary? Whenever I click on one of the next tabs after the essay it gives me the loading icon but never does anything.

I'm really hoping I can get an II here. I live here and my whole family is close by and with a 3.77s/3.75c/29 I think this is my best shot for an acceptance.

I think shooting for this school just cause you think it's your best chance at a acceptance is misguided. Basically, this school is more than that

I think shooting for this school just cause you think it's your best chance at a acceptance is misguided. Basically, this school is more than that

Never said that. Being excited for a school that graduates great physicians, is close to home and family and has students accepted with similar stats isn't misguided.

Never said that. Being excited for a school that graduates great physicians, is close to home and family and has students accepted with similar stats isn't misguided.

Oh okay just going off what your previous post seem to portray

Oh okay just going off what your previous post seem to portray

It is so much more than that, I have friends with a 4.0 GPA and 36 MCAT who have been rejected, the acceptance statistics are NOT different to most MD schools so if you think is TCOM as a fallback think again, they have a way to smell those applicants

It is so much more than that, I have friends with a 4.0 GPA and 36 MCAT who have been rejected, the acceptance statistics are NOT different to most MD schools so if you think is TCOM as a fallback think again, they have a way to smell those applicants

I completely agree, well said my friend!

Some applicants could have gone to any MD schools but chose to come here , that is what is changing the whole entrance pool into med schools

For the interview, did you guys get a parking permit? I thought we were meant to receive one, but I don't have one and my interview is tomorrow!

There is plenty of guest parking on campus. I have not heard of anyone getting a parking permit for the interview, but I could be wrong.

There is a large lot outside of the MET for guests and visitors.

For the interview, did you guys get a parking permit? I thought we were meant to receive one, but I don't have one and my interview is tomorrow!

On my interview day agenda email Caroline said to park on Parking Lot 6. On the day of the interview I arrived to lot 6, but I was told I needed a parking permit. You can park temporarily without one (the security lady is very nice) and go up to the Admissions Office and ask Caroline for a permit. She will give you a sheet of paper that you have to display on your dashboard..... this is ONLY for parking lot 6. The parking lot in front of the MET (tall glass building) is a visitors parking and you do not need a permit.

anyone have any idea on TCOM's curriculum or schedule?

something that looks like a weekly schedule format or something.

thanks.

anyone have any idea on TCOM's curriculum or schedule?

something that looks like a weekly schedule format or something.

thanks.

My student host gave me a glimpse of her schedule and it's pretty much classes/labs/OMT etc 8am-5 pm. She says she treats it like a job. The school makes the schedule on Microsoft Outlook and shares it with the students so if there is a sudden change (i.e a professor can;t make it to class) it will reflect immediately on the Outlook schedule. The day of my interview she actually got a class cancelled and they moved another lecture to replace that class... and she knew about it because she checked the schedule right before class.

From what I recall, MS1 students have lectures in the mornings, a break, then lab in the afternoons. By lab I mean anatomy, or OMT, or patient interviews. (Correct me if I am wrong people)

Also, either Thursdays or Fridays are reserved for test days every other week. You test the whole day. In the morning your have your lecture exam (say 8-12), then a 30 min break, and in the afternoon you have your anatomy practical (also 3-4 hrs long).

My student host gave me a glimpse of her schedule and it's pretty much classes/labs/OMT etc 8am-5 pm. She says she treats it like a job. The school makes the schedule on Microsoft Outlook and shares it with the students so if there is a sudden change (i.e a professor can;t make it to class) it will reflect immediately on the Outlook schedule. The day of my interview she actually got a class cancelled and they moved another lecture to replace that class... and she knew about it because she checked the schedule right before class.

From what I recall, MS1 students have lectures in the mornings, a break, then lab in the afternoons. By lab I mean anatomy, or OMT, or patient interviews. (Correct me if I am wrong people)

Also, either Thursdays or Fridays are reserved for test days every other week. You test the whole day. In the morning your have your lecture exam (say 8-12), then a 30 min break, and in the afternoon you have your anatomy practical (also 3-4 hrs long).

Thats ridiculous.... I guess its one of the few programs left that does a full schedule like that.

Personally i think its overkill because you have so much less time for independent studying compared to schools like UTMB, UTHSCSA, TTEP, TTUHSC..

Edit: Issue Resolved

Last edited:
Thats ridiculous.... I guess its one of the few programs left that does a full schedule like that.

Personally i think its overkill because you have so much less time for independent studying compared to schools like UTMB, UTHSCSA, TTEP, TTUHSC..

Then don't go to lecture, few are mandatory first year.

Only two months until those of us who are OOS start to hear back! I'm super excited about this school. I haven't stopped thinking about it since my interview day.

Only two months until those of us who are OOS start to hear back! I'm super excited about this school. I haven't stopped thinking about it since my interview day.

How was your interview? What did you like about the school?

How was your interview? What did you like about the school?

I absolutely loved it. Everything about the school was what I could dream of in a medical school. I felt like all of the students were INCREDIBLY nice and the staff were very helpful and welcoming. Both of my interviewers were great and really made the school seem great. The emphasis on primary care and community health was very appealing as well. I felt the facilities were top-notch with excellent simulation and anatomy labs. One thing I really liked about the anatomy lab specifically was it's all one giant room. A lot of the other med schools I've seen and toured have the anatomy lab broken into different rooms rather than being all connected.

I'd be very happy to attend here and really hope to hear some good news in two months.

I absolutely loved it. Everything about the school was what I could dream of in a medical school. I felt like all of the students were INCREDIBLY nice and the staff were very helpful and welcoming. Both of my interviewers were great and really made the school seem great. The emphasis on primary care and community health was very appealing as well. I felt the facilities were top-notch with excellent simulation and anatomy labs. One thing I really liked about the anatomy lab specifically was it's all one giant room. A lot of the other med schools I've seen and toured have the anatomy lab broken into different rooms rather than being all connected.

I'd be very happy to attend here and really hope to hear some good news in two months.

Sounds fantasic. The focus on rural and family med is also appealing to me so I hope I'll be able to pull an ii here eventually. Having anatomy all in one room maybe makes it easier to look at other group's cadavers and a prof close by possibly? Thanks for sharing.

To everyone who has interviewed so far: where did you stay? I saw a couple of posters mention Homewood Suites; I also noticed on TCOM's site that Fairfield Inn has a discounted rate for visitors of the school. After the discount they appear to be the same price. I was hoping to find something a little cheaper though. Any suggestions?

Whoever is interviewing Friday, I'll see ya'll then.

You can stay with a current student for free, just call the school and they will pair you up, that way you get free stay and more insight (ask all you can)

You can stay with a current student for free, just call the school and they will pair you up, that way you get free stay and more insight (ask all you can)

You have to schedule this a week in advance (according to the email), which I would have done had I not opted against staying with a student. Not that I have a real problem with it, I'd just prefer my space that morning.

It is a great school, hoping that medsci preference carries on into their decision to interview me (was wait listed this summer, which happened to be the year of hell to be on a wait list)

To everyone who has interviewed so far: where did you stay? I saw a couple of posters mention Homewood Suites; I also noticed on TCOM's site that Fairfield Inn has a discounted rate for visitors of the school. After the discount they appear to be the same price. I was hoping to find something a little cheaper though. Any suggestions?

I live in a little town north of TCOM called saginaw. You might be able to find a hotel here or perhaps try one of the other small suburbs assuming you're renting a car. Feel free to pm me if you need help

So I stayed at a super 8 that was ~7 mins from the school for the recruitment event and paid $57.50/night including tax. Here is the info:

7318 Calmont Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76116 US
Phone: 1-817-244-7444

Is it me or does it seem like they've been sending out their interviews on Thursdays? Or at least the portal status change.

Is it me or does it seem like they've been sending out their interviews on Thursdays? Or at least the portal status change.

I think they said the committee meets on Wednesday, so yea that would make sense

Not sure, but I got the call on a Monday.