University of Tennessee c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few questions for current students:
1. My tour guide said she worked within the university up until her last semester. Have you guys felt like working is manageable?

2. Dress code - I'm a SUPER casual, sports wear person. How strict is the dress code? From what I've read its business casual. I'll probably end up weaseling in my workout gear, honestly.

3. Are any of you part of the dual program (masters/DVM)? They mentioned it on interview day, and I discussed it a little with my interviewers and they said, because of my interests, it would be a good for me to consider.

All responses/opinions are greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Who else started crying when they opened the email? I was in the library, but I just burst into tears.

I definitely started crying. I have waited a long time for this, so very emotional. I am so happy we get to be classmates!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I definitely started crying. I have waited a long time for this, so very emotional. I am so happy we get to be classmates!!!
Absolutely. I was at work when I read the email and sat there, numb, for 20 minutes. Then cried every time I called someone to tell them, haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. My tour guide said she worked within the university up until her last semester. Have you guys felt like working is manageable?

2. Dress code - I'm a SUPER casual, sports wear person. How strict is the dress code? From what I've read its business casual. I'll probably end up weaseling in my workout gear, honestly.

3. Are any of you part of the dual program (masters/DVM)? They mentioned it on interview day, and I discussed it a little with my interviewers and they said, because of my interests, it would be a good for me to consider.

I'm not a current student, but...
1. I worked while I was in school. There are several student rep positions that pay decently (various food companies, etc). You probably won't want to work much in school at least during the 1st semester so you can figure out what works for you. There are also lab tech type positions that are on call.

2. Not super strict

3. I was not. But the MPH program seemed pretty reasonable..

Who else started crying when they opened the email? I was in the library, but I just burst into tears.

I was in the library too!! I dropped my phone and started crying!

I hate to tell everyone this, but to those of you folks that are accepting your offers... you'll get the pleasure, and torture, of having me as a classmate. I apologize in advance for your suffering :naughty:

Reactions: 6 users
made it almost the whole day at work before finally finding the "right" moment to tell my mentors and coworkers that I got in: while holding for an abdominocentesis . Completely ready to bring my awkwardness to UT! Can't wait to meet you all!

I was in the library too!! I dropped my phone and started crying!
Thank god I was in a study room because I was UGLY crying and thanking everyone who helped me along the way. It must have looked pretty weird.

glad we can be cry buddies!

YES, so emotional!!!!! It's hard to believe our dreams are coming true!!!!!

I bet I gave your tour then. ;)

1. It's manageable. Only around 15-25% of people work a real hourly job during the school year. Others work as a student drug rep, on-call student for various things (clin path, surgery).

2. I wore jeans 90% of the time. The dress of the class diminishes as you move up until it goes back to business causal on clinics.

3. A few of my friends did it. Seems doable within your 4 years if you dedicate a good part of your summer to it.

Let's be DVM/MPH buddies!

Surprisingly didn't cry but was basically hyperventilating telling my parents :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I almost threw my tablet out a window when I got the email last year, and then I immediately burst into tears. Thankfully I was in my room at the time. And then I got a phone call too ( it was a funny situation - they had accidentally sent me an alternate letter first, so called to confirm I had gotten the second email) and had to pull myself together long enough to be coherent.

Current student, see you in the fall :D

1. I'm a weird case - I'm in the army reserves (not veterinary, completely unrelated job), and it's extraordinarily difficult! I have friends and classmates that have outside jobs that sometimes interfere with school work, but they manage as best as they can. Some have had to quit their outside jobs. Those who work within the university, the vet school, or as company reps find it much easier to manage since their employers are in the veterinary school at UT and understand the demands of our school schedule. I would say it's a case by case, personal choice/evaluation that you would need to make, but a legit 20/hr week part-time job is out of the question - we're talking one day or night a week if that!

2. Yes, there is a dress code, and if you try "weasling in your workout clothes" you'll be taken aside by Dr. Kirk and told to go home and change (not joking or being facetious). We have few leniency such as: nice jeans are allowed for classes, but if you go into clinics you cannot wear jeans. We're allowed to wear sweatshirts, but only if they're vet school sweatshirts. A few of my classmates have been showing up in less than appropriate attire and they are spoken to on a regular basis by faculty and Dr. Kirk. It doesn't look good, and I don't mean visually. I think they've been cracking down on the dress code because of previous years. The ONLY time when your workout clothing would be tolerated is on a weekend when you're only in a study room or the library, or during finals week when everyone is so zombified and on edge that they just leave us alone! I certainly wear much nicer workout clothes on weekends but I don't go anywhere near the clinics like that. If you stepped into the clinics with workout clothes on, even the super nice street kind, you'd better think twice! If a faculty member didn't get you, another student would. They take professionalism extremely seriously here and attire is their first impression. You don't have to wear a suit or anything - scroll through business casual in pinterest and you'll see what's appropriate. I'd say something to you myself if I saw you sporting workout clothes to class. It's a pride thing here, so please take that part seriously and don't make an effort to work in your workout clothes or find a way to sneak a piece into your class attire. I would take it as an insult and so would many faculty and other students. (off my soapbox!)

3. I am starting the "official as of 2016/2017" dual DVM/PhD program (there are only 3 of us in the entire school doing it). I'm insane, my class is filled with gunners, they call us the anal class, among other things! ;) Quite a few are doing the DVM/MPH program, and they're stressed with everything they're required to do. I advise waiting to commit to anything until you see what you can handle. Like I said, I'm insane to tackle the dual PhD program, but I need it for where I'm heading. The program is great and it's phenomenal that they're offering all of this to us, but gauge your capacity to maintain sanity with just the vet program first, then re-evaluate and decide if you want to take on anything extra. I hope I'm not sounding like a naysayer - I'm in the program myself and can't wait to get cracking - it's just the reality of the workload needs to be experienced before you decide if you can get slapped with more ;) Also on the plus side, they're NOT veterinary classes so it'll be a nice break from all the medical "stuff"!! :D

I hope this info helps!

Last edited:

1. I'm a weird case - I'm in the army reserves (not veterinary, completely unrelated job), and it's extraordinarily difficult! I have friends and classmates that have outside jobs that sometimes interfere with school work, but they manage as best as they can. Some have had to quit their outside jobs. Those who work within the university, the vet school, or as company reps find it much easier to manage since their employers are in the veterinary school at UT and understand the demands of our school schedule. I would say it's a case by case, personal choice/evaluation that you would need to make, but a legit 20/hr week part-time job is out of the question - we're talking one day or night a week if that!

2. Yes, there is a dress code, and if you try "weasling in your workout clothes" you'll be taken aside by Dr. Kirk and told to go home and change (not joking or being facetious). We have few leniency such as: nice jeans are allowed for classes, but if you go into clinics you cannot wear jeans. We're allowed to wear sweatshirts, but only if they're vet school sweatshirts. A few of my classmates have been showing up in less than appropriate attire and they are spoken to on a regular basis by faculty and Dr. Kirk. It doesn't look good, and I don't mean visually. I think they've been cracking down on the dress code because of previous years. The ONLY time when your workout clothing would be tolerated is on a weekend when you're only in a study room or the library, or during finals week when everyone is so zombified and on edge that they just leave us alone! I certainly wear much nicer workout clothes on weekends but I don't go anywhere near the clinics like that. If you stepped into the clinics with workout clothes on, even the super nice street kind, you'd better think twice! If a faculty member didn't get you, another student would. They take professionalism extremely seriously here and attire is their first impression. You don't have to wear a suit or anything - scroll through business casual in pinterest and you'll see what's appropriate. I'd say something to you myself if I saw you sporting workout clothes to class. It's a pride thing here, so please take that part seriously and don't make an effort to work in your workout clothes or find a way to sneak a piece into your class attire. I would take it as an insult and so would many faculty and other students. (off my soapbox!)

3. I am starting the "official as of 2016/2017" dual DVM/PhD program (there are only 3 of us in the entire school doing it). I'm insane, my class is filled with gunners, they call us the anal class, among other things! ;) Quite a few are doing the DVM/MPH program, and they're stressed with everything they're required to do. I advise waiting to commit to anything until you see what you can handle. Like I said, I'm insane to tackle the dual PhD program, but I need it for where I'm heading. The program is great and it's phenomenal that they're offering all of this to us, but gauge your capacity to maintain sanity with just the vet program first, then re-evaluate and decide if you want to take on anything extra. I hope I'm not sounding like a naysayer - I'm in the program myself and can't wait to get cracking - it's just the reality of the workload needs to be experienced before you decide if you can get slapped with more ;) Also on the plus side, they're NOT veterinary classes so it'll be a nice break from all the medical "stuff"!! :D

I hope this info helps!
Haha, thank you! I appreciate the advice! I'll do my best to put on decent clothes and look the part . I plan on coming up sooner rather than later to talk to someone about the dual program. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

And also, everyone else who has replied to my original post, thank you. I figure I'll save up at least enough to get me through the first semester, then see if I can handle a part time job after that! @Jamr0ckin - if you were my tour guide, you gave a phenomenal tour! The facilities at UTK are wonderful, regardless of what my focus is!

Haha, thank you! I appreciate the advice! I'll do my best to put on decent clothes and look the part . I plan on coming up sooner rather than later to talk to someone about the dual program. I'm glad you're enjoying it!

If you come up to speak with someone about the programs, try to make an appt with Dr. Steven Kania. He runs the PhD and MPH programs with another doctor whose name is failing me right now, but they would be the best people, other than current students, to speak with about those programs. If you can't find their emails on the UTK search tool, send me a PM and I'll send you their email addresses.

And also, everyone else who has replied to my original post, thank you. I figure I'll save up at least enough to get me through the first semester, then see if I can handle a part time job after that! @Jamr0ckin - if you were my tour guide, you gave a phenomenal tour! The facilities at UTK are wonderful, regardless of what my focus is!

If a blonde female 4th year student gave you a tour, then yes, it was me. :)

I'm glad you liked my tour! I really enjoy giving them

If you come up to speak with someone about the programs, try to make an appt with Dr. Steven Kania. He runs the PhD and MPH programs with another doctor whose name is failing me right now, but they would be the best people, other than current students, to speak with about those programs. If you can't find their emails on the UTK search tool, send me a PM and I'll send you their email addresses.
Thank you!!

I hope this info helps!

I don't mean to "pull rank" as they say, but what GAH is describing here in terms of dress code really only applies to the first years. As time passes and you start spending more and more of your day sitting in class, the dress gets progressively more casual and nobody in the administration seems to really care. I'm not suggesting you show up in gym clothes, but very few people are still dressing "business casual" in the classroom by the time first year is over.

But that's just in class. In the clinics the dress code is justifiably much more strict.

Reactions: 2 users
does Tennessee provide you with your number on the waitlist?

Haha GAH I totally agree about our class and the dress code. It almost seems many are trying to see just how much they can get away with. My biggest pet peeve is scrubs. Scrubs SHOULDN'T be worn as an everyday attire. Guys are fine with nice jeans and a button up or polo. What is sad about our class is that the guys aren't the ones with the dress code issues; the girls are the ones that seem to hAve problems looking professional.

Another pet peeve, right now this will not seem like a big deal to you but COME TO CLASS. You are paying lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and it is disrespectful to the professors for them to teach a near empty room. It also appears once you start skipping it's hard to stop. So come to class.

Another pet peeve, right now this will not seem like a big deal to you but COME TO CLASS. You are paying lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and it is disrespectful to the professors for them to teach a near empty room. It also appears once you start skipping it's hard to stop. So come to class.

Again, not to be Mr. Contrary, but: you have the right to decide for yourself what is the most efficient use of your time precisely BECAUSE you're paying so much money to be here. You pay the school, not the other way around. You are responsible for your education, not them.

Expect to be in class as much as possible, especially first semester. But classroom attendance isn't mandatory for a reason. If you don't learn well in a lecture setting, if you decide on a given day that you would get more out of staying home and studying, or if you're just worn out and need a break, you have the right to do so. There are enough people who enjoy being in lecture that the room will still be plenty full. Do not let your classmates guilt trip you if you skip a class.

My advice: don't worry about what your classmates are doing or wearing or whatever. Vet school is like a big family, which means there are way too many opportunities for petty drama anyway. Avoid it.

Reactions: 6 users
Can any current students talk about good living options? I would really appreciate some suggestions! :) I have a dog and a cat so I need somewhere that's pet friendly.

Hahaha! LOL - a family war is about to break out hahaha! ;)
But he's definitely right about the petty drama. It's just as easy to avoid it as it is to participate, save yourself the headache, you'll be glad you did! :D

Yeah I'm guilty of scrubs on days when I have labs in the afternoon. I got tired of fighting to change in the restroom before lab, plus after 14 years as a vet tech I have no real clothes. Before I moved I tossed all the stuff that didn't fit and didn't have too much left over haha. Plus it's expensive buying more.
My advice to the new peeps: buy things you can mix and match into a bunch of different outfits so you don't end up like me lmao.

Is there a Facebook group or anything for c/o 2020 yet?! can't wait to meet you all!

Generally speaking, are there any areas of Knoxville to avoid when looking to buy a house? Likewise, are there any areas that are more ideal for vet students due to ease of access to the campus or stuff nearby?

The weather was less than desirable when I was there for my interview, so unfortunately I wasn't able to scout out the city. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Although this is still extremely early in the process, I may be looking to rent a room to a fellow student if I end up with a place that will accommodate such a thing.

Generally speaking, are there any areas of Knoxville to avoid when looking to buy a house? Likewise, are there any areas that are more ideal for vet students due to ease of access to the campus or stuff nearby?

The weather was less than desirable when I was there for my interview, so unfortunately I wasn't able to scout out the city. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Although this is still extremely early in the process, I may be looking to rent a room to a fellow student if I end up with a place that will accommodate such a thing.
I was told to steer clear of the Fort Sanders area, and that West Knoxville tends to be on the expensive side. Beyond that I can't remember. I guess I should start looking into housing again...maybe I can find my list from last year.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

GPA:
Cumulative
Last 45 3.80
Overall Science 3.39

About 4000 hours of small animal experience in general and specialty practice. 500 hours in wildlife. 2 years spent in a research lab as an undergrad studying genetics in fruit flies. I think what made the difference this year was my last 45 had come up from taking post-bacc classes and I wrote what I'm pretty sure was my best admissions essay out of the lot. It sounds like you got accepted too, congratulations!!

South Knoxville is probably your best bet for affordable houses. But other than the Fort Sanders area and some of East Knoxville, anywhere will work. It's a pretty safe city and commuting from one side to the other isn't that hard.

To those of you who have mentioned thinking of buying a house, we are currently trying to sell ours. It is a two bedroom, two full bath in the west Knoxville area. Small fenced in back yard that is adequate for most dogs (our two mixed mutts did well in it). It's right off the interstate and about 20-25 minutes from driveway to vet school parking lot in morning traffic. We lived there the entire time I was in school and it was great. The layout is ideal for two roommates. Pm me if you are interested and I'll forward you the listing information.

Is there a Facebook group or anything for c/o 2020 yet?! can't wait to meet you all!

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS/tell me all about it. I want to meet everyone!!!!!

Ahhhh!!!! I can't believe that this is happening!!!! This is going to be the best 4 years of our lives!!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE THIS/tell me all about it. I want to meet everyone!!!!!

Ahhhh!!!! I can't believe that this is happening!!!! This is going to be the best 4 years of our lives!!!!!

I don't have a Facebook, I suppose I'll have to make one just for this . Also, I still don't think it's sunk in yet. I imagine it won't until Im actually looking for places to live and all that!

The class of 2019 will be given a list of the class of 2020, and they make the Facebook page and invite people.

I'm so excited!!!!! Class of 2020 sounds awesome too lol

Not yet. The 2019 class presidents will set one up once your class is solidified - I'm going to try and get this done earlier than it was for us (I'm not the pres - I'm the vp), but it will likely be another few months due to our academic demands and the flux of people deciding whether or not they're coming here.

Last edited:

Immediately north of campus is not a good idea. Within the "circle" (there's a loop of highway around the city), not a good idea. About 15 min North-East is ok, West is ok, areas of South are perfectly fine. I used https://www.raidsonline.com , which lists crimes and what they actually are with locations, when looking for my home. I HIGHLY recommend using it when looking up addresses. Also, keep in mind that you need to understand that Knoxville is only said to be an "unsafe" city because of the NUMBER of crimes - look at the TYPES of crimes being committed - they're mainly opportunistic or against known associates. Random violent crime is rare - check the statistics! If you keep your head on and be smart about common sense things, you should really be fine if you choose a home in a less expensive area.

I live 10 min, door-to-door from my house to school, in south knox. Several other classmates bought homes or are renting in south knox - it's very close to campus, but use raids online to look for a blank pocket around the homes you're looking at to buy. Also be careful with that wording of that website - USE THE LINK I provided!! If you misspell the link you get something you'd rather never see with your own eyes!!! :eek:

If you're in west knox, you'll get a smaller place for the same price as south knox, but it's relatively more "safe." You'll also be dealing with highway traffic to and from school. The same goes for North East, it may only be 15 min, but could take upwards of 25 min or more with traffic on the highway. South knox, just look for blank areas and it's super close to school.

It all depends on what you're looking for, what you're willing to do, how far to drive, etc. I also have 3 dogs, fence around the house, and ADT - so anyone who wants to randomly choose my house has to go through a LOT in order to get in - then they only have about 2-5 minutes before the cops show up (they happen to be down the road from me as well).

If I'm wandering or not making sense, anyone feel free to PM me, (I'm in class and we have a HUGE exam in about 3 hours from now :bored::dead::bucktooth: so it's hard to focus on anything except nerves and anatomy) so I could very well be rambling......:wacky::wideyed:

Last edited:
I don't have a Facebook, I suppose I'll have to make one just for this . Also, I still don't think it's sunk in yet. I imagine it won't until Im actually looking for places to live and all that!

So I was never a big FB person, but it's extraordinarily useful for classes and for school. We have a social page and a study page. We post questions about classes or exams onto the study page and then any random, either stupid things (funny memes :p), or what someone is doing for the weekend goes onto the social page. It's pretty efficient and I would imagine most, if not all of my classmates find them useful. I do know that classmates who don't hop onto FB miss information and sometimes show up to class or days before an exam find themselves going, "Huh? What do you mean, I didn't know that...." etc. It's a tool, you don't have to be married to the technology (thankfully) :D

So another question that it's quite possibly way too early to ask...

What is some technology you couldn't live without for Vet school? I currently have a very old laptop and I am considering getting a iPad to replace it.

So another question that it's quite possibly way too early to ask...

What is some technology you couldn't live without for Vet school? I currently have a very old laptop and I am considering getting a iPad to replace it.

I would get another computer, but an apple laptop. The iPad is great but just doesn't have the same capabilities as a laptop. If you have one in addition to a laptop, that's fine too, but I just don't think you want to rely only on an iPad as your only source of production/resources, etc. I can only speak for 1st years, and a bunch of my classmates have tablets, but they're all the convertible type. The ones that use an iPad, also have laptops that they use as well. Unless one of my classmates on here can chime in to provide more info, I don't know of any classmates who live by the iPad alone.

I never take my laptop to school. You have the option of getting your notes in digital form, and with a decent tablet you'll be fine for taking notes on PDFs etc. Or you can just do pen and paper, which is probably what the majority of my classmates do. There are also several computer labs in the building and the library has laptops you can borrow if you really need something for a couple days.

You can definitely get by without buying a new laptop or with an iPad if that's what you choose.

I used to bring my laptop everyday. I was much more efficient at taking notes for the most part. And I was recording audio while taking some notes. I don't think you could do an iPad. Maybe something more functional for note taking.

Current students: what are your favorite and least favorite things about UT? :)

When I was there:
Favorite: the family like atmosphere. The profs/clinicians really, really care about individual students. Their exotics program is AMAZING. I loved it.
Least Favorite: There is a little bit of drama because of the family feel and sometimes there can be some unprofessional results.

I use a Samsung Galaxy note to take ALL my notes. It works for me; however, if you want something like a tablet I would highly recommend the surface pro. My classmates who have that absolutely love it. But to avoid being contradicted, you don't have to have anything, you can just sit there and listen or skip and listen later. :)

Favorite: I'll second the supportive profs and family atmosphere.

Least favorite: The curriculum isn't always the most well-designed and consequently they've been changing a lot of things over the last few years, so sometimes it feels like we're guinea pigs in an experiment which doesn't always go well.