University of Tennessee c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting for somebody to come on here and say something along the lines of "everything was great, except one of the tour guides seemed surprisingly cynical and dark about the whole thing."

This is why they probably shouldn't let us 3rd years give tours...
We had a second year for our tour. I guess he wasn't quite twisted up enough from the program to give us the cynical and dark overview. It was a great tour... the guide liked to talk. I'm trying to be as nonspecific as possible, but I'm sure the current students have an idea.

I'd actually prefer the dark and cynical approach, but I guess that comes with my twisted sense of humor.

Thanks again to the current students for hosting us. It was great and I hope to return this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I was told that we should hear back about admissions sometime toward the end of February-beginning of March. Anyone hear a more concrete date?

I need something to stress about now that the interview is done.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, so I was told that we should hear back about admissions sometime toward the end of February-beginning of March. Anyone hear a more concrete date?

Don't stress! It's entirely in their hands now. You've done everything you possibly can :happy: I interviewed on 1/16 and was told by Dr. Kirk that they hoped to have decisions by 2/15.

Members don't see this ad :)

The other thing to keep in mind is that there may be a little more delay from the expected 2/15 response due to the weather that caused them to open up one more weekend of interviews to accommodate those that could not attend. I'm sure they'll do what they can to get decisions out on time, but ya never know.

Just be patient - it'll come when it comes.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't stress! It's entirely in their hands now. You've done everything you possibly can :happy: I interviewed on 1/16 and was told by Dr. Kirk that they hoped to have decisions by 2/15.

So there's a chance they could be out earlier? I know they said they'd email everyone at once (or was that another school I'm thinking of...?).

But, like mentioned above, since they apparently opened up another weekend of interviews, there's also a chance they could be a bit behind. It was kind of them to open that extra weekend, though. UT really is a great school as a whole.

So there's a chance they could be out earlier? I know they said they'd email everyone at once (or was that another school I'm thinking of...?).

But, like mentioned above, since they apparently opened up another weekend of interviews, there's also a chance they could be a bit behind. It was kind of them to open that extra weekend, though. UT really is a great school as a whole.

I also talked to Dr. Kirk after my interview with my family (1/23) and she was joking about how she said they had finally gotten everything back on track timewise (After all the problems with VMCAS) and then the winter storm happened so she said she hoped to do everything she could to keep up with the 2/15 notification date but things come up and are often unforseen. They know it adds to our anxiety but they also want to make sure its a thorough process so every applicant gets reviewed fairly!

Hope this info helps! (even if it means we mostly like will be told 2/15 at the earliest!)

Just cancelled my interview for this Saturday. I hope someone on here takes my spot! :)

Good luck to everyone interviewing this weekend! Everyone is nice, I promise!

Is anyone else having dreams about admissions almost every night? I keep dreaming that I missed my interview!

UT is the only school I'm waiting to hear back from; I'm IS. It's my last hope of getting in this year (1st year applicant).

Has anyone had the same experience I had: I got an interview at UT, but all my OS schools flat out rejected me. :( Of all schools, why did the only IS school find me even remotely worthy of an interview?

UT is the only school I'm waiting to hear back from; I'm IS. It's my last hope of getting in this year (1st year applicant).

Has anyone had the same experience I had: I got an interview at UT, but all my OS schools flat out rejected me. :( Of all schools, why did the only IS school find me even remotely worthy of an interview?

If it makes you feel better, my IS, back in last year's cycle, didn't think I was worthy of an interview. I said this to other people before, it's literally like monkeys throwing darts or 52-card pick-up. They just throw everything up in the air and whichever ones stick or come closest to the bullseye, get in. Keep your chin up - you're still waiting on UT! :D

Reactions: 3 users

It has a lot to do with your academic score. You can visit the admissions procedures page of each school to see who gets an interview. UTCVM calculates your academic score and your holistic packet review score. The sum of these two scores determines whether or not an applicant is granted an interview. There is a cut-off point for in-state students and a separate cut-off point for out-of-state students because the two applicant pools are separate. The cut-off changes each admissions cycle such that only a certain percentage of applicants are interviewed each year. It is worth noting that the cut-off for out-of-state interviews is usually significantly higher than that for in-state students due in large part to the higher number of out-of-state applicants and fewer number of seats for out-of-state students.
Most schools grant interviews based solely on academic scores - as UTCVM once did - so it is very common for applicants with mid-range GPA's (while often still very high GPA's) and/or GRE's to not be granted interviews at out-of-state schools.

Long story short, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since UT will probably be the least expensive for you!

That's what I'm thinking, as far as IS tuition goes; if I get in there, I'll be very happy regardless of the fact it wasn't my first choice school (weird, I know lol).

My GPA is/was a 3.81 and my GRE was a lousy 300--but GREs don't count a whole lot for the schools I applied to, plus their minimal score was set as way lower than that. One of them was like 238 or something O_O You'd basically have to go to the testing center and simply log into the test to make that kind of score.
Plus my other (non-academic) stuff was good.

But like you said, I suppose the cut-off was a bit higher for OS.

Oh well. If I don't get into UT, I get to wait some more for May to arrive before I can frantically find out what I need to improve on and then begin the arduous, frustrating, time-consuming process of applying once more. Then more waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes you feel better, my IS, back in last year's cycle, didn't think I was worthy of an interview. I said this to other people before, it's literally like monkeys throwing darts or 52-card pick-up. They just throw everything up in the air and whichever ones stick or come closest to the bullseye, get in. Keep your chin up - you're still waiting on UT! :D
My IS rejected me without an interview last year too. I'm pretty sure the dartboard theory is correct for all schools ;)

My IS rejected me without an interview last year too. I'm pretty sure the dartboard theory is correct for all schools ;)
Yep, my IS also rejected me this year and I am a pretty competitive applicant. You just never know. Each year it changes as well. I've received interviews at a couple of schools I never thought I would, and rejected from those I felt strongly about. This is why it's important to not get wrapped around the axle about stat comparison. It's simply a guide, not a rule. Good luck with the rest of the cycle. :=|:-):

Yep, my IS also rejected me this year and I am a pretty competitive applicant. You just never know. Each year it changes as well. I've received interviews at a couple of schools I never thought I would, and rejected from those I felt strongly about. This is why it's important to not get wrapped around the axle about stat comparison. It's simply a guide, not a rule. Good luck with the rest of the cycle. :=|:-):

I agree with the "dartboard theory", however incredibly unfair as it is. If even the really competitive applicants don't get in just because they weren't noticed first or got covered up by other applications, then that's a huge sign that the admissions methods are very unfair. In fact, I'm sure that some of the worst vets in the field today likely stole seats from applicants with much, much more potential and ability to make a difference.
It disgusts me. Outsiders are always like, "Oh your GPA is high? You're TOTALLY going to get in!!" Then, no matter how much you try to explain otherwise to them, they won't listen -_-

I agree with the "dartboard theory", however incredibly unfair as it is. If even the really competitive applicants don't get in just because they weren't noticed first or got covered up by other applications, then that's a huge sign that the admissions methods are very unfair. In fact, I'm sure that some of the worst vets in the field today likely stole seats from applicants with much, much more potential and ability to make a difference.
It disgusts me. Outsiders are always like, "Oh your GPA is high? You're TOTALLY going to get in!!" Then, no matter how much you try to explain otherwise to them, they won't listen -_-

Look, you can't be "disgusted" with people that may be your future colleagues fairly getting a vet school seat. GPA means a lot, but it's not everything. And we won't know what was wrong with our apps until file reviews. It's okay to speculate but it doesn't help to call admissions unfair, or to say your app got covered up like an adcom to could be so forgetful to botch a job they're paid to do. I'm sorry you're hurt by this but you're unintentionally insulting vet students and adcoms by saying they voluntarily chose to ignore you. Vet admissions are INSANELY competitive. It's not in our control.

In fact, I'm sure that some of the worst vets in the field today likely stole seats from applicants with much, much more potential and ability to make a difference.
It disgusts me.
Maybe this is hurting your chances. Positive attitudes are just as important as grades and the like.

Reactions: 7 users
I applied to 6 schools this year and I was rejected from 5 without an interview. UT is the only school that granted me an interview.
I'm crossing my fingers and toes about it, but also looking into ways to make my app more competitive for next year because the likelihood of starting vet school in 2016 is low.

Many vets I know had to apply multiple times before gaining admission. If they can do it, so can I!

So chin up, guys. There is always next year.

Reactions: 4 users

Or maybe the adcoms saw their SDN posts and realized they aren't yet ready for vet school? SDN isn't as anonymous as people think it is.

If you stand out, you won't get "covered up." Trust me, I was super frustrated my first try. Not even an interview. I worked my butt off to get some really unique stuff on my application, and it paid off. You have to realize that a certain percentage of applicants really look the same. Good grades, good experiences, good essay. You have to break out of that. If you weren't accepted, you couldn't compete against those who were. The file review is when you find out why. Sometimes it seems like there isn't a real 'reason' why you were rejected. I've taken that to mean I just didn't stand out from the herd of applications that were nearly identical to mine.

It's also worth noting that the average vet student applies 3 times before acceptance. As you also know, average matriculation GPAs are very high. A high GPA in no way guarantees a first time acceptance. I also agree that you need be very careful of how you speak of schools online.

Not only are you insulting other vet students, but you are also insulting the adcom who spend hours upon hours going through every single application. If you were rejected, it was not because you were covered up, it's because your app was scrutinized and determined you weren't competitive enough for that school. Period. I'm sorry you're hurt from rejection, but at the end of the day it was something in your application that was the problem (GPA is NOT everything, by the way), not the adcom or the other applicants "stealing" seats from you.

Reactions: 7 users
The real issue is the conceitedness of that statement. You have *no* idea about these other applicants and if they are any less "worthy" than you are. Nobody is stealing any seats, either. They were offered seats and accepted them.

Reactions: 9 users
Just to emphasize that GPA isn't everything: I applied twice, both times with the same GPA. The only thing that changed is that I was able to add something unique to my application the second time. It's easy to fall into the trap of blaming everyone else for your own shortcomings, whatever they may be. If/when you do make it to veterinary school, you're going to need to start taking responsibility for yourself and your actions. You can't blame someone else for your own drug miscalculations, surgical mishaps, whatever. Don't blame someone else for your rejections, either.

I'm so thankful for these vet students and vets going in for the reality check. I have a lower end GPA and have an IS and an OOS interview that I thought I would NEVER have. Seeing someone say 3.7+ is basically the only solid applicant and lower GPA is a bad vet and a seat stealer really grinds my gears. I'm sorry if you don't think someone like me will be a good vet one day because I had a bad freshman year of UG but I don't know you and you don't know me. Don't know if I'll be accepted anywhere but I am so thankful to even be considered as a first time applicant with my stats. I'm sure you're not meaning to say these things but please think before you speak. Best of luck to you, I'm done with the conversation.

20ff9085951ad9d920473b4f910eb3e4.gif
I'm just grateful to have a passion shared by so many great hearted people who love helping people and their animals and the world. Inserting a bit of positivity this midweek because I think we need more of it in the world.... Also less than two weeks until notification and that's so exciting to me. :) YAY UT-CVM

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to go ahead and assume you've read through the multitude of SDN threads on topics that explain how each application cycle is its own monster. Each cycle school's accept a slightly different group of applicants. Why? Who knows, other than to "build" the best class they feel will fit their program that year. Really competitive applicants - high GPA, good GRE, lots of hours - are almost a dime a dozen, especially as we grow in numbers each cycle. I have stalked this career path for multiple years and have done everything I can to build diversity in hopes that I will be recognized as someone with potential to the field. Although I felt I was a fairly strong applicant at the start, I knew there was a 95% chance I would reapply next year. As has been stated, the statistics show that the vast majority of applicants apply 2.4-2.6 times before being accepted. Schools are accepting an applicant as a whole person, not as a packet of numbers. Anyone getting in on their first round should be freaking thrilled.

Life is not fair, so you need to get that out of your head. Life is about preparation, putting yourself out there, accepting the outcome, and moving forward. Perhaps there was something within your application that signaled to the ADCOMs that you were not ready, or perhaps your online anonymity was not as you expected. I assume everything I write on here has my full name hidden within each post and I would be fine answering to every post I make. Maturity is such a vital component to life in general, but will be even more important in vet school and as a veterinarian. People in this forum will be each others' colleagues and you need to treat this with more than a grain of salt.

Rather than being disgusted that some applicants are being accepted over others, I would strongly suggest you reevaluate some of your statements, take another look at your application, and make an effort to grow in a more positive direction.

Reactions: 6 users
Look, you can't be "disgusted" with people that may be your future colleagues fairly getting a vet school seat. GPA means a lot, but it's not everything. And we won't know what was wrong with our apps until file reviews. It's okay to speculate but it doesn't help to call admissions unfair, or to say your app got covered up like an adcom to could be so forgetful to botch a job they're paid to do. I'm sorry you're hurt by this but you're unintentionally insulting vet students and adcoms by saying they voluntarily chose to ignore you. Vet admissions are INSANELY competitive. It's not in our control.

I have a ton of friends who are vets (I've been a tech for 14 years) and you know what? I hear story after story about the students with the 4.0 GPA who fail out in clinics, and the vets who were C students who killed it in clinics. High GPA =/= being a good vet; everyone who makes the cut-off for the interviews has already passed the bar academically. That's why it's a holistic process and why they do interviews. You have no idea what was on others people's applications, so it would be wise to actually concentrate on yourself and what you can do to make yourself a better applicant if you don't get in anywhere this year. The people doing the choosing have a more experience in knowing what makes a good vet than any of us does.

Welp, now I'm never gonna mention the dartboard theory again. You've ruined a great joke.

Reactions: 10 users
On one hand, I want to empathize with you as I applied 4 times before being accepted. I understand how hard the waiting is and how "unfair" the process is. But your attitude and lack of understanding of the whole process is very frustrating. I'd be interested to know what your parameters for "worst vet" are. I think without going through veterinary school you cannot assess that very well.

You completely misinterpreted what I was attempting to say.
But thanks for trying to defend yourself, I guess?

You completely misinterpreted what I was attempting to say.
But thanks for trying to defend yourself, I guess?
I'm defending myself when 9 people who are either veterinary students or practitioners posted and backed up my point?

Ok - so who wants to keep it positive and ask questions that might help them decide to come here, should they be offered a seat? :D

Ok - so who wants to keep it positive and ask questions that might help them decide to come here, should they be offered a seat? :D

My sincerest apologies, just wanted to top it off, since for some reason, I was the only one addressed! I'm done being upset over someone who isn't going to change their attitude. Everything I've said has come from a place of wanting to help a fellow applicant put things into perspective and to know what's expected of us as potential professional students. I'm just blunt and type everything from my phone lol.

Just want to say UTK looks like an awesome place with helpful people. I'm very sorry for hijacking your applicant thread, guys. I hope you all get into the schools you're after and that we can all be in the DVM class of 2020 somewhere. So yes, get back to asking questions! Good luck to all :)

Out of all the places I interviewed at, I think I loved here the most (sorry Mizzo, you're lovely and amazing, but too far from home to be number one)! I really hope they liked me! To current students, how is housing? I am bringing my border collies, and was looking at buying something with a tiny bit of space so they could play fetch--can I get that without a crazy commute? I'll be looking at "fixer-uppers" as my brother demos and fixes houses for a living. :)

Out of all the places I interviewed at, I think I loved here the most (sorry Mizzo, you're lovely and amazing, but too far from home to be number one)! I really hope they liked me! To current students, how is housing? I am bringing my border collies, and was looking at buying something with a tiny bit of space so they could play fetch--can I get that without a crazy commute? I'll be looking at "fixer-uppers" as my brother demos and fixes houses for a living. :)

I bought a 3 BR, 2 bath, 1400+ sq ft home 10 min from school. It took me 1 week of searching (in May) with a realtor, after about 2 months of online searching. By July everything was signed and I moved in. There are a TON of "fixer-uppers" BUT, get one fast if you do because the vast majority of them around here require a LOT more work than first thought. And I'm relaying fixer-upper info from seasoned professionals here in K-ville, not my own limited experience. My mortgage, plus taxes, and insurance is roughly $670/mo. You couldn't rent a place my size for less than 1200-1800/mo. I have a sizable fenced-in backyard for my 3 dogs (a golden, a long-haired chihuahua-like mix, and an aussie puppy), plus a decent front yard. Rent for apartments runs anywhere from 600-1000/mo depending on # of rooms, roommates, etc.

I come home for lunch as often as I can, sometimes the schedule just doesn't permit. And sometimes parking can be a hassle getting back to school after lunch for 1pm classes, but several of us have pups and live close enough to do it!

Definitely, if you get in, choose to come here, and want to do a fixer-upper, send me a PM and I'll give you my realtor's info. She's amazing! I was in Germany and we were doing things over the phone and online, she would take me out of a house if she noticed something wrong, etc. BUT, contact me ASAP b/c you'll want to get cracking on a reno ASAP!! Things here take a little extra time to get done for some reason. ;)

I bought a 3 BR, 2 bath, 1400+ sq ft home 10 min from school. It took me 1 week of searching (in May) with a realtor, after about 2 months of online searching. By July everything was signed and I moved in. There are a TON of "fixer-uppers" BUT, get one fast if you do because the vast majority of them around here require a LOT more work than first thought. And I'm relaying fixer-upper info from seasoned professionals here in K-ville, not my own limited experience. My mortgage, plus taxes, and insurance is roughly $670/mo. You couldn't rent a place my size for less than 1200-1800/mo. I have a sizable fenced-in backyard for my 3 dogs (a golden, a long-haired chihuahua-like mix, and an aussie puppy), plus a decent front yard. Rent for apartments runs anywhere from 600-1000/mo depending on # of rooms, roommates, etc.

I come home for lunch as often as I can, sometimes the schedule just doesn't permit. And sometimes parking can be a hassle getting back to school after lunch for 1pm classes, but several of us have pups and live close enough to do it!

Definitely, if you get in, choose to come here, and want to do a fixer-upper, send me a PM and I'll give you my realtor's info. She's amazing! I was in Germany and we were doing things over the phone and online, she would take me out of a house if she noticed something wrong, etc. BUT, contact me ASAP b/c you'll want to get cracking on a reno ASAP!! Things here take a little extra time to get done for some reason. ;)

Wow!! Thank you so much! I definitely will contact you if the adcoms think I am worthy! That sounds amazing!:)

Awesome info! If I'm lucky enough to get offered a seat, then I'll definitely be looking to buy a place and I'm not scared of a reno. Were the fixer-uppers you saw manageable to work on during school or should that be something I tackle before school starts and hope I have time to tighten nuts and bolts during the year?

Is there an actual Farmers Market? Or are there fake Farmers Markets with prices that are just as bad, if not worse, than the basic grocery stores?

Also - any idea if there are any changes to the program from your year that may not have been discussed during the overview/tour? My experience was beyond thorough, just not sure if they fine tune small things here and there between classes.

Awesome info! If I'm lucky enough to get offered a seat, then I'll definitely be looking to buy a place and I'm not scared of a reno. Were the fixer-uppers you saw manageable to work on during school or should that be something I tackle before school starts and hope I have time to tighten nuts and bolts during the year?

Is there an actual Farmers Market? Or are there fake Farmers Markets with prices that are just as bad, if not worse, than the basic grocery stores?

Also - any idea if there are any changes to the program from your year that may not have been discussed during the overview/tour? My experience was beyond thorough, just not sure if they fine tune small things here and there between classes.
There's a real farmer's market from what I recall.

Fixer-uppers around here are NOT manageable when school is in session. That's why I emphasized that if you get a seat and choose to come here, get cracking on a house ASAP. Small things are manageable during school when there is a long weekend, but those are few and far between. You're not going to want to leave anything undone unless you can absolutely do without it until Christmas or the summertime.

There are a LOT of farmer's markets around here. Most notably the Saturday one in Market Square. Lots of local produce and products for sale. Prices are more expensive than grocery stores in general.

No idea if they changed anything! Best to call the front office if you have questions about the program.

This convo has me thinking about what day to day schedule will be for my dog if I get in... Any thoughts on when the day starts and ends for an average first year student (I understand this may be completely impossible to answer)?

There are actually several different farmers markets that meet in different locations on different days. One of them meets literally right next to the school, but it's a smaller one. I think the prices depend on which you go to. I know that the biggest one downtown isn't too bad even though it's fairly crunchy/hipster focused.

This convo has me thinking about what day to day schedule will be for my dog if I get in... Any thoughts on when the day starts and ends for an average first year student (I understand this may be completely impossible to answer)?

On average our day begins at 8am and can end anywhere from 1pm to 5pm depending on the day. No two days are alike, and I'm quite sure this is the same across the board with vet schools. The 8am is pretty reliable, but as I said, the afternoon can be a free-for-all day to day thing.

Well it looks like I'll have to explore the different markets if I land in Knoxville. I'm used to being surrounded by cheap fresh food since I grew up in CA and the markets here in So. FL leave a lot to be desired. I definitely appreciate the input though.

Although I know that, as of right now, my mind is made up (barring any changes at my next interview)... but what have you all come to love about the program that you did not know about prior to being a student? We can do our research about what the school offers until the cows come home, but just curious if there were any Easter eggs you've found that reconfirmed your choice was the right choice.

In-state tuition was my favorite Easter egg...

But, more seriously, the friendliness and availability of the faculty is probably.my favorite thing about this school. I came out of undergrad expecting to have apathetic teachers who weren't invested in student success, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. Even moreso, the familial atmosphere that the faculty create has helped our class become very close and willing to help each other. I feel totally supported by my classmates and we lean on each other a lot. From what I've heard from other students, that is not the case at every school, nor are the faculty at every school so open to helping their students.

Well it looks like I'll have to explore the different markets if I land in Knoxville. I'm used to being surrounded by cheap fresh food since I grew up in CA and the markets here in So. FL leave a lot to be desired. I definitely appreciate the input though.

Although I know that, as of right now, my mind is made up (barring any changes at my next interview)... but what have you all come to love about the program that you did not know about prior to being a student? We can do our research about what the school offers until the cows come home, but just curious if there were any Easter eggs you've found that reconfirmed your choice was the right choice.
In-state tuition was my favorite Easter egg...

But, more seriously, the friendliness and availability of the faculty is probably.my favorite thing about this school. I came out of undergrad expecting to have apathetic teachers who weren't invested in student success, but it turned out to be quite the opposite. Even moreso, the familial atmosphere that the faculty create has helped our class become very close and willing to help each other. I feel totally supported by my classmates and we lean on each other a lot. From what I've heard from other students, that is not the case at every school, nor are the faculty at every school so open to helping their students.

I couldn't agree more with Doktor Timo! I had an illuminatingly wonderful, happy conversation yesterday with a director of a program and one of the veterinarians whose specialty I hope to enter; and the words, "We take care of our own," and "We'll take care of you," were mentioned repeatedly. I was on the verge of tears at one point with the generosity being demonstrated on the other side of the conversation. This all sounds very dramatic, but when you're pursuing a specialty with a 28% board pass-rate, every bit of help counts and I promise you will find that help HERE.

I believe I only had a slight inkling of a similar feeling at U-Ill, as they also did not feel like a machine school, and the professors I met seemed to care about their students a bit more, but here at UT, it truly is a family. And that's not even getting into my class! I just had a big glass board delivered to my house that I can't put up on my own, so I phoned a friend. That friend happened to be removing a cabinet from his kitchen and had another one of our classmates on their way over to help him. They're coming to help me tonight.

Oh! And one other thing that's really cool now, is the dual DVM/PhD program that they're starting with next year's incoming class (Fall 2016), should you choose to participate :D

The real issue is the conceitedness of that statement. You have *no* idea about these other applicants and if they are any less "worthy" than you are. Nobody is stealing any seats, either. They were offered seats and accepted them.

I totally stole my seat. From AniSci. Neener neener.

Reactions: 11 users