VMCVM c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eleanor713

Reaction score
Starting this thread for the year (sorry if there is already 1 that I didn’t catch)
2nd time applicant to VM but I hope to be counted as IS this year

Members don't see this ad.

First time OOS applicant! Is the link to the pilot SJT not working for anyone else or has it already been filled up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck y'all! :biglove:
There are a few of us floating around that can answer any questions you have!

Rising second year at VMCVM 🥳 good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Second time applicant, first time OOS :cool: Good luck y'all!

Second time IS applicant! I am struggling on these essays simply because the 5,000 character count is intimidating me. I feel conflicted between needed to use all of my space to showcase who I am, but rambling. Also, I'm not confident I can write that much about my life motto lol.. any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the "your application is currently under review" email first business day after submission automated? I didn't think schools would download our app before verification and had a handful of old experiences I was looking to add beforehand 🥲

Is the "your application is currently under review" email first business day after submission automated? I didn't think schools would download our app before verification and had a handful of old experiences I was looking to add beforehand 🥲
I think it's auto! I got the same email!

First time IS (MD) applicant!

I'm also seriously struggling with the "what is your life motto and why" question...I can't for the life of me think of something I've used as a life motto and everything I've come up with feels so forced and cliche when I try to write about it. Anyone have any tips or feel the same way?

I'm also seriously struggling with the "what is your life motto and why" question...I can't for the life of me think of something I've used as a life motto and everything I've come up with feels so forced and cliche when I try to write about it. Anyone have any tips or feel the same way?
I wish that had been a question my year!

I had a boyfriend way back in the day that used to say "the life of EngrSC: double the work in half the time". It became even more true years later with the career change so that's probably what I would've used!

I also grappled with this one pretty heavily because of the 5k character limit. I came up with a motto easily enough via searching quotes that matched some of my key attributes and values/brainstorming figures that inspired me and looking through some of their most famous sayings to see what resonated but really struggled to get even close to that character count without a ton of fluff, especially while avoiding touching on some of the same points from their resiliency essay.

Think I left it at around 2k and in a less than traditional (more creative writing than academic essay) format...but honestly, I'm happier with that than I feel like I would be if I somehow shoved another 3k of extraneous padding in there

Reactions: 2 users

I was thinking this too.. I have one that I LIVE by, but im wondering if it is too cliche/ something everyone says... Although if I spin it to my own story im wondering if that would be better?

I was thinking this too.. I have one that I LIVE by, but im wondering if it is too cliche/ something everyone says... Although if I spin it to my own story im wondering if that would be better?
Honestly I feel like they probably don’t care too much as to what it is but they are looking for how you explain it and your writing ability. It’s also just another way to learn more about you so if you have a motto that is important to you you should definitely use that instead of making something up to sound better.

Reactions: 2 users
they also didn’t ask this question last year (at least not that I remember) so it’s not like they have years of data to see who answers with which motto

I wish that had been a question my year!

I had a boyfriend way back in the day that used to say "the life of EngrSC: double the work in half the time". It became even more true years later with the career change so that's probably what I would've used!
And here I am wishing I could have a different question :rofl: thanks for the example though!!
I also grappled with this one pretty heavily because of the 5k character limit. I came up with a motto easily enough via searching quotes that matched some of my key attributes and values/brainstorming figures that inspired me and looking through some of their most famous sayings to see what resonated but really struggled to get even close to that character count without a ton of fluff, especially while avoiding touching on some of the same points from their resiliency essay.

Think I left it at around 2k and in a less than traditional (more creative writing than academic essay) format...but honestly, I'm happier with that than I feel like I would be if I somehow shoved another 3k of extraneous padding in there
Yeah the character limit is scaring me too and I'm also struggling to not repeat things I've already mentioned in the resiliency essay. I definitely won't be able to hit the limit lol

Honestly I feel like they probably don’t care too much as to what it is but they are looking for how you explain it and your writing ability. It’s also just another way to learn more about you so if you have a motto that is important to you you should definitely use that instead of making something up to sound better.
That's super helpful, thanks! I agree it's probably better to use a motto I've actually used, so I think I'm gonna try to go that route.

This was a similar case for me as well. I got ~3500 characters and felt that it was sufficient. I did a bit of important event storytelling in a creative way too, as I feel that if it was me on the board reading thousands of essays, I would want to read something interesting and creative rather than a flat typical essay!

The one that I used was also sort of "cliche" I suppose but I backed it up a fair amount with experiences etc. and related it back to the field. Do something that you can thoroughly support and believe in

Third time applicant and this is my first time applying to Virginia-Maryland!

Second cycle applicant, first time applying here OOS! Good luck everyone!

Any other OOS applicants not upload residency forms since VMCAS said not to? I happened to be poking around VAMD's website and it has a form for OOS residents to upload in VMCAS, but VMCAS itself explicitly said if you're not a VA or MD residents to select "I am not uploading any documents", which I did. Did I do the wrong thing/should I try and contact the school, or am I okay since I did what VMCAS said?

Any other OOS applicants not upload residency forms since VMCAS said not to? I happened to be poking around VAMD's website and it has a form for OOS residents to upload in VMCAS, but VMCAS itself explicitly said if you're not a VA or MD residents to select "I am not uploading any documents", which I did. Did I do the wrong thing/should I try and contact the school, or am I okay since I did what VMCAS said?
I saw this too and also just did what was on VMCAS. I figure they’ll probably contact us requesting if it turns out that they do need it, none of the other schools I applied to have residency forms for OOS and it wasn’t really clearly listed so I feel like a large chunk of OOS applicants likely didn’t do it.

Reactions: 1 users
I saw this too and also just did what was on VMCAS. I figure they’ll probably contact us requesting if it turns out that they do need it, none of the other schools I applied to have residency forms for OOS and it wasn’t really clearly listed so I feel like a large chunk of OOS applicants likely didn’t do it.
I applied OOS last year and we didn’t have to upload a form

Hi everyone! First time IS!
Did anyone get updates? portals?

Anyone else starting to get nervous since their posted timeline is late November to early December this year? 😬

Anyone else starting to get nervous since their posted timeline is late November to early December this year? 😬
Last year I heard from them on Dec 9th and I'm OOS. I heard from another person they were contacted by VMCVM on Dec 12th. So if I had to guess it'll probably be early to mid-December - especially since every year they get more and more applications. Hopefully I am wrong and they get back to us soon but idk

Last year I heard from them on Dec 9th and I'm OOS. I heard from another person they were contacted by VMCVM on Dec 12th. So if I had to guess it'll probably be early to mid-December - especially since every year they get more and more applications. Hopefully I am wrong and they get back to us soon but idk
I heard that the last 3 years were all the same day so I’m assuming it will be whatever Friday around 12/9 is. Last year it was like 4pm I believe

I think it was mid December during my ‘21 cycle as well, but this is what’s on their website for this year

23140999-95FA-463B-8651-F2F557168B6D.jpeg

2nd cycle IS applicant.
‘22 and ‘21 were on 12/9. I am anxiously waiting like the rest of y’all. Almost 2 weeks to go…

Has anybody reached out for an update on when interview decisions will come out? Anxiously waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anybody reached out for an update on when interview decisions will come out? Anxiously waiting!
Heard directly from Shelby's mouth today, "within the first two weeks of December."

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
2nd Time In state Applicant, Hoping to get interview again! I am so nervous. My hopes are not high lol