Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I completely rewrote mine, but I've had some rather significant things happen this year. If I hadn't I still would have reworked it to be more story-like, as that's what feedback has shown me people like.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up almost completely re-writing mine based on feedback and what my gut was telling me to write. It wasn't too bad though, since a lot of my main points easily transferred from the old essay. Mostly I changed a lot of transitions to help the essay flow and swapped out some paragraphs for ones that felt more personal (I had a problem with showing vs. telling).

Reactions: 1 users
haha, well I don't know how much it was my PS vs not applying until last week of November (late committee letter) and/or being Canadian, so I wasn't sure how helpful a new PS would be.
I was in a similar boat - I think mine had more to do with a late app, but I still rewrote my PS fairly substantially, since I thought med schools might think, "If it wasn't good enough last time, why would it be good enough this time?" I also shifted the focus a bit, tried to improve showing vs. telling, etc. It was excruciating, though. XP

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting on 2 schools and am contemplating sending a final copy of my transcript to then. For both schools, I completed all the required prematriculation courses before submitting my application, so this new transcript likely isn't absolutely necessary.
Do you think I should send the schools a copy?

I'm still waiting on 2 schools and am contemplating sending a final copy of my transcript to then. For both schools, I completed all the required prematriculation courses before submitting my application, so this new transcript likely isn't absolutely necessary.
Do you think I should send the schools a copy?
I don't know anyone who is considering new information at this point, but if they are open to updates (check first), and you'll feel better, go ahead.

for those of you reapplying, how much are you changing your personal statement? aside from more volunteering and a few extracurricular activities, my motivation to become a doctor has stayed the same.

Rounds 1-3 had the same personal statement.

For round 4, I was advised that two of the paragraphs were too personal, so I merged them and added more objective things that were a little less personal.

@gyngyn any idea what is happening at UCLA? I know they sent rejections recently..but I feel like nothing is really going to move from this point and don't want to keep delaying housing :-\

3.6GPA, 27MCAT -- Interviewed at 2MD and waitlisted at both. Recently accepted off WL at my top choice (UNC)! Keep the faith.

Reactions: 19 users
Is it safe to say that wait list movement has ended at 90% of the schools now?

@gyngyn any advice on the reuse of personal statement?
I spoke to the dean at one of my waitlisted schools and she stated that it's not a great idea to reuse the exact same PS if you're reapplying to any schools. Many will pull up your old app to compare to the new app and look for improvements/changes so it's important to show that you've been making an effort to improve. You don't have to completely rewrite your PS, but a paragraph or two that refer to some new activities/experiences is a good addition. The same advice goes for secondary essays--try not to use the exact same essays if you're reapplying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke to the dean at one of my waitlisted schools and she stated that it's not a great idea to reuse the exact same PS if you're reapplying to any schools. Many will pull up your old app to compare to the new app and look for improvements/changes so it's important to show that you've been making an effort to improve. You don't have to completely rewrite your PS, but a paragraph or two that refer to some new activities/experiences is a good addition. The same advice goes for secondary essays--try not to use the exact same essays if you're reapplying.

That is what Mercer said too. She said at the very least change the first line.

That is what Mercer said too. She said at the very least change the first line.

This seems like a very broad and unspecific piece of advice. This assumes that your reasons for choosing a career (aka your PS) suddenly changed in a year even though you applied one time already? That makes no sense to me. One would hope that the first time you applied you knew what your reasons were. Now, if your PS was bad, then of course you'd want to change it. But I feel like if you're confident in your PS and you're rewriting parts of it for the sake of rewriting it, it could disrupt the flow and sound forced. There are tons of things that could go wrong in an application season and changing things just to change them makes little sense to me.

I say this because one particular interviewer seemed almost offended I didn't get brand new LORs and have a brand new PS. I knew they were strong already so I did not bother changing them. Timing was my issue and I was confident that was my problem. It was clearly her problem since I got 10 II and 4 acceptances. I dislike how so much of our fate rests on the hands of so few biased people.

Wow. I got really lucky then. I reapplied and used my same PS. But I honestly thought it was a good PS.

4 programs where I interviewed I had not applied to previously (Case, CCLCM, UVA, OSU)
1 program I interviewed I was rejected pre-II previously.

Got into the latter.

This seems like a very broad and unspecific piece of advice. This assumes that your reasons for choosing a career (aka your PS) suddenly changed in a year even though you applied one time already? That makes no sense to me. One would hope that the first time you applied you knew what your reasons were. Now, if your PS was bad, then of course you'd want to change it. But I feel like if you're confident in your PS and you're rewriting parts of it for the sake of rewriting it, it could disrupt the flow and sound forced. There are tons of things that could go wrong in an application season and changing things just to change them makes little sense to me.

I say this because one particular interviewer seemed almost offended I didn't get brand new LORs and have a brand new PS. I knew they were strong already so I did not bother changing them. Timing was my issue and I was confident that was my problem. It was clearly her problem since I got 10 II and 4 acceptances. I dislike how so much of our fate rests on the hands of so few biased people.

It's all part of the game. Yes, your reasons for medicine may not have changed substantially since you last applied, but having the same exact PS leaves a strong impression that nothing has changed. Even if it has. Better to avoid that negative (and inaccurate) perception by tweaking your PS. Obviously, you can still do very well with the same PS, but I think it's risky.

I strongly agree about our fates being left in the hands of so few, and very human, people.

It's all part of the game. Yes, your reasons for medicine may not have changed substantially since you last applied, but having the same exact PS leaves a strong impression that nothing has changed. Even if it has. Better to avoid that negative (and inaccurate) perception by tweaking your PS. Obviously, you can still do very well with the same PS, but I think it's risky.

I strongly agree about our fates being left in the hands of so few, and very human, people.

That is what Mercer said as well. Change it slightly or else some adcomms will not go through the new application

hey. so with all the agony of being on waitlists and not being accepted anywhere- especially if you're a reapplicant- and your credentials are good or more than good (and I mean well over a 30 mcat and over a 3.8 gpa and good extracurriculars).... do you ever think "ehh, maybe a Caribbean school isn't THAT bad." im not gonna do it, but im just saying... ive thought about it. if I ever did do it, I really wouldn't feel that terrible. sometimes I think American admissions are a little unfair.

hey. so with all the agony of being on waitlists and not being accepted anywhere- especially if you're a reapplicant- and your credentials are good or more than good (and I mean well over a 30 mcat and over a 3.8 gpa and good extracurriculars).... do you ever think "ehh, maybe a Caribbean school isn't THAT bad." im not gonna do it, but im just saying... ive thought about it. if I ever did do it, I really wouldn't feel that terrible. sometimes I think American admissions are a little unfair.
If you are in the mid 30's+ on MCAT and 3.8 gpa, good EC's, no red flags you are clearly doing something else very wrong in your application/interview that is closing doors for you. It is too hard to guess at what it could be since it could be anything from your PS, to school list, to interviewing skills and many other possibilities, but if your stats are truly as good as you are saying, there is no reason why you shouldn't have a shot at US programs.

I applied internationally, was rejected. Wasn't Caribbean though.

If you are in the mid 30's+ on MCAT and 3.8 gpa, good EC's, no red flags you are clearly doing something else very wrong in your application/interview that is closing doors for you. It is too hard to guess at what it could be since it could be anything from your PS, to school list, to interviewing skills and many other possibilities, but if your stats are truly as good as you are saying, there is no reason why you shouldn't have a shot at US programs.

im not saying MY stats are that good. im just saying in general. im sure there has to be at least 1 person with those types of stats who got unlucky during the cycle. and a good amount of it is luck.

I have a question related to financial aid and wait lists.

Some background. I am currently set to matriculate at an out of state school that I love. However, because it is OOS it is expensive. I am also currently wait listed at two of my in state schools. I would choose to attend either of the IS schools over the OOS school at which I am set to matriculate, should a space open up for me from the wait list.

I filled out the FAFSA and included all three schools. I was "awarded" a Federal Stafford Direct Loan for the OOS school. Obviously I did not receive any financial aid from the IS schools because I haven't been accepted.

My direct loan does not cover the total cost of the OOS school, so I am planning on applying for a PLUS graduate loan.

My concern: What happens if I apply and receive the PLUS graduate loan, but then get off a wait list at in IS school? In such a situation I will still need a PLUS loan but obviously a much smaller one. Can I apply, receive, cancel, and then apply to an IS school, receive, cancel all in rapid succession?

TLDR: When should you apply for a Graduate Plus Loan if you are on wait lists?

At the school where I'm currently holding an acceptance I was told to apply for the loans but wait to sign the MPN until I knew for sure where I was going to go.

im not saying MY stats are that good. im just saying in general. im sure there has to be at least 1 person with those types of stats who got unlucky during the cycle. and a good amount of it is luck.
I'm one of those people, and I know I'm not the only one. Luck may have been a part of it, but I know a big part of it was also applying late, which was my fault. I'm fixing that this time around. If I don't get in again, I'll give it another shot, then consider other healthcare careers (PA, public health, etc.) rather than think of Caribbean med school - I want to actually be able to work in the medical field, and I'd much rather go to PA school than Caribbean.

That's true. Play the game or get played.

Does anyone seem to know when Stanford is gonna stop and tell the rest of their Waitlisters they're done? I really need to find a place to live for another med school and sign a lease haha

I just got off my first waitlist!! I can't believe it; I'm so so happy and excited. Best of luck to everyone - I really hope it works out for you all. :) You've all been super supportive and wonderful. <3

Reactions: 25 users
I just got off my first waitlist!! I can't believe it; I'm so so happy and excited. Best of luck to everyone - I really hope it works out for you all. :) You've all been super supportive and wonderful. <3
Congrats!! Was it UConn?!

Does anyone seem to know when Stanford is gonna stop and tell the rest of their Waitlisters they're done? I really need to find a place to live for another med school and sign a lease haha
Often it's sometime around orientation.

Congratulations Keladry, its great to hear some good news going into the weekend!

Often it's sometime around orientation.

Oh dear...well if some miracle happens with that school, I'm going to have on pissed off apartment mate and/or bank account with this lease

Oh dear...well if some miracle happens with that school, I'm going to have on pissed off apartment mate and/or bank account with this lease
Yes, this does happen. Every week the chances diminish but they don't go to zero until you start orientation at the other school.

Yes, this does happen. Every week the chances diminish but they don't go to zero until you start orientation at the other school.

Anything from Stony Brook or Cincinnati? :D

Not today (at least not here in the golden state). At little at UCI and UCSD.

Thanks! I'm vowing not to think about apps this weekend (just glad I'm verified for 2015). :D Have a good one all! And congrats to all the newly accepted! :)

Reactions: 3 users
At this point in the cycle, are deferrals the main source of movement on the waitlist? Thanks!

At this point in the cycle, are deferrals the main source of movement on the waitlist? Thanks!
Pretty sure that's the case - that's what one admissions director told me on the phone.

Hey guys, WashU, Mt Sinai, UCSF, Einstein, NYU and BU have all reported movement in the last couple of days (on SDN at least)! There's another thread with columbia vs JHU so that's one more spot that will be opening up.

Yes, I'm stalking all these schools in hopes of them drawing away students from all the schools we're waiting on

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys, WashU, Mt Sinai, UCSF, Einstein, NYU and BU have all reported movement in the last couple of days (on SDN at least)! There's another thread with columbia vs JHU so that's one more spot that will be opening up.

Yes, I'm stalking all these schools in hopes of them drawing away students from all the schools we're waiting on
You forgot UCI and UCSD!

Just received my first acceptance from Stony Brook!!! Supper excited:) Good luck to everyone else who's still in it. Don't give up!

I'm Canadian if anyone is interested.

Reactions: 12 users
Just received my first acceptance from Stony Brook!!! Supper excited:) Good luck to everyone else who's still in it. Don't give up!

I'm Canadian if anyone is interested.

Congrats! Stony Brook rocks!