#WaitListedAndProud2016_A Post-April 30th Saga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well my school just sent an email saying they seated their class \o/

In celebration, is anyone willing to look at my PS? I'm like 80% there. I'm not feeling my conclusion, but everything else is almost there I think.. Just need to reword and shift stuff around. I want to submit by Monday (before it was the end of last week, but this is taking longer than I wanted) :(
I'd be happy to look at your personal statement!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Could anyone look at my PS too? It's my final draft but might need a little tweaking for flow.

Being on the waitlist instead of straight accepted could be due to something as simple as not smiling the right way at someone and putting some small ounce of doubt in one person's mind that happens to determine your future, honestly. Sometimes it seems like there is no rhyme or reason, it just happens. And it happens to very well qualified people.

And then I sit here reading articles about the doctor shortage in America projected for 2024 and get really sad that I'm watching all of you incredibly dedicated and qualified individuals sit there without acceptances. We need more medical schools to accommodate all of the qualified candidates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
We also need more residency spots for all these new doctors. Why the system is like this?...No idea. It would definitely lessen the workload for doctors in general.

Definitely needed some words of wisdom, so I hope you guys don't mind me sharing what my grandmother told me. If you didn't get in this year, try again if you really want it. If you want to be a doctor, you can always apply to a DO school or a foreign MD school. If you choose not to be a doctor, there's PA and nursing school. Remember that your goal is to be someone in the healthcare field who wants to make a difference.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man, this is why I love this thread you all are so amazing and supportive. Thank you guys and those that PMd me (not sure if you wanted recognition) again :)
Just fyi before you start judging, yeah I'm a pretty cookie cutter applicant; nothing too special, that's why it's kinda plain.
Also don't mind looking. :3 With the PS, as long as it answers "why medicine" and is unique to you, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Careful who you divulge your PS to. I'm just saying, this is an anonymous website with some very desperate people.

Reactions: 9 users
Careful who you divulge your PS to. I'm just saying, this is an anonymous website with some very desperate people.

Damn that would be so messed up to steal someone else's personal statement...I could only imagine if someone did and was asked about stuff in it during their interview....

Reactions: 3 users
Damn that would be so messed up to steal someone else's personal statement...I could only imagine if someone did and was asked about stuff in it during their interview....

Yeah seriously that'd be pretty messed up. Thankfully everyone reading besides @Aki the Mew have supposedly gotten accepted already, so I'm a little more comfortable with having it looked at by them. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity \o/

Reactions: 1 users
We also need more residency spots for all these new doctors. Why the system is like this?...No idea. It would definitely lessen the workload for doctors in general.

Definitely needed some words of wisdom, so I hope you guys don't mind me sharing what my grandmother told me. If you didn't get in this year, try again if you really want it. If you want to be a doctor, you can always apply to a DO school or a foreign MD school. If you choose not to be a doctor, there's PA and nursing school. Remember that your goal is to be someone in the healthcare field who wants to make a difference.

this system is fd up cuz the government isnt allocating enough money for increasing residency slots to meet demand. perks of having government butt its nose into everything

Yeah seriously that'd be pretty messed up. Thankfully everyone reading besides @Aki the Mew have supposedly gotten accepted already, so I'm a little more comfortable with having it looked at by them. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity \o/
Actually waiting on my first choice. (Got into a DO school, but I'm not in love with it. Especially that tuition.)

this system is fd up cuz the government isnt allocating enough money for increasing residency slots to meet demand. perks of having government butt its nose into everything

Wait, from what my understanding about residency is that there are MANY spots left open every year, at least for the fields that is not competitive. it just may not be the specific field that you would like. For instance, family med or whatever

Wait, from what my understanding about residency is that there are MANY spots left open every year, at least for the fields that is not competitive. it just may not be the specific field that you would like. For instance, family med or whatever
That's definitely true, but from what I gathered, it still leaves some students unmatched. There have been cases where a student graduates from med school and can't pay off their student loans because they can't get a residency. I know one person in this situation, but he went to a foreign MD school. Perhaps its more common in those cases.

That's definitely true, but from what I gathered, it still leaves some students unmatched. There have been cases where a student graduates from med school and can't pay off their student loans because they can't get a residency. I know one person in this situation, but he went to a foreign MD school. Perhaps its more common in those cases.

students that's left unmatched are usually from foreign MD schools. There can be many reasons why like bad USMLE scores, competitive fields, or program's biased toward IMG. So, I'm pretty sure a few new medical schools in the U.S. shouldn't be a issue residency wise

My understanding is that to not match from a US allopathic school, you really have to screw something up dramatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
if only US premeds had a 95% match rate to med school on a good year
what-a-wonderful-world.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
students that's left unmatched are usually from foreign MD schools. There can be many reasons why like bad USMLE scores, competitive fields, or program's biased toward IMG. So, I'm pretty sure a few new medical schools in the U.S. shouldn't be a issue residency wise
Oh for sure. Maybe they're less equipped with getting their students ready and that leads to the lower board scores. And definitely for that bias part. I shadowed a physician in NYC and there is a lot of bias against anything not US MD. When I was accepted into the DO school, she literally said, "Oh. Get into a real med school." </3

That match rate is the primary reason why I want to get into an MD program in the US. (The second being price. *cough* Still broke from undergrad.) But the first problem is getting into one. For that reason, a couple of my friends chose to go to St. George's or apply for DO programs. But again, we have to compete with the US MD students and there is a chance we might not get a spot.

Plus with opening new med schools, you have to make sure there are enough rotation spots for them. Syracuse University wanted to do it a few years ago and SUNY Upstate was against it. They said it was because there weren't enough resources in Central NY.

only two weeks to july...

This thread has gotten quieter each passing week.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Like this post if you ended up not getting off a waitlist and are reapplying

Well my school just sent an email saying they seated their class \o/

In celebration, is anyone willing to look at my PS? I'm like 80% there. I'm not feeling my conclusion, but everything else is almost there I think.. Just need to reword and shift stuff around. I want to submit by Monday (before it was the end of last week, but this is taking longer than I wanted) :(
If you still need, I'm more than willing to help out with the PS!!! Gluck :) I am sure you will rock this cycle :p

I use to have this thread to look forward to everyday. now its been pretty much silent for the past 2 weeks. It's like the high school crush. Its going good and going great when you get to know her, but then silence because she found some jock quarterback in the football team.
This may or may not be me.....damn you tom brady

there should be an association for medical school waitlisters...soooo who has a law degree?

Reactions: 13 users
I use to have this thread to look forward to everyday. now its been pretty much silent for the past 2 weeks. It's like the high school crush. Its going good and going great when you get to know her, but then silence because she found some jock quarterback in the football team.

there should be an association for medical school waitlisters...soooo who has a law degree?
Waitlisted, the friend-zone of medical school admissions.

Reactions: 18 users
Another day. Here's to one less wait listed person on this forum.

:luck::luck::luck:

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know about y'all, but if a school went all Yakuza and asked me to cut off my pinky to show my commitment, I'd do it at this point. I mean....when do you need your pinky?

I think the silence is coming from either the inability to stay hopeful or because others are taking the time to reapply to schools and don't want to be tantalized by the hope. But, I (and others) are all here to be your cheerleader at this point. I started this thread such that we can all get things off our chest and not have to get that irking hive-developing feeling when we look at the threads of the schools that we hope (or at one point hoped) to attend. Are you still waiting on a school?

I can be your shoulder to cry on.

I think the silence is coming from either the inability to stay hopeful or because others are taking the time to reapply to schools and don't want to be tantalized by the hope. But, I (and others) are all here to be your cheerleader at this point. I started this thread such that we can all get things off our chest and not have to get that irking hive-developing feeling when we look at the threads of the schools that we hope (or at one point hoped) to attend. Are you still waiting on a school?

The Father of the Thread returns!

I just registered for Fall classes to continue my Master's -- not because I gave up hope, but because I'm attempting to ignite some kind of beneficial Murphy's Law cascade.

"Aw, man! I finally got a seat for that neurobio class I've been trying to get into, and--wouldn't ya know it--I've just been accepted to medical school. What are the odds?! Oh, well..."

I just registered for Fall classes to continue my Master's -- not because I gave up hope, but because I'm attempting to ignite some kind of beneficial Murphy's Law cascade.

"Aw, man! I finally got a seat for that neurobio class I've been trying to get into, and--wouldn't ya know it--I've just been accepted to medical school. What are the odds?! Oh, well..."

For me I precipitated the Murphy's Law reaction by registering and starting research for a PhD program. Best $100 enrollment deposit I've ever lost.

Haha *Mother; I am flattered.
I know exactly how you feel. To be completely fair, I finally got into school about a month ago. But, when I hadn't been admitted, I was studying for the MCAT again, writing my personal statement again, and applying for jobs again. You are right in that we aren't giving up hope when we do that... but we are attempting to put our frustrations into something productive and realistic.
At that point, I hadn't given up hope... but I was fully prepared to take (yet another) year off and had a super positive attitude about applying this time around; getting into medical school this year would just be the cherry on top of it all. (But if it didn't happen, it wouldn't be the end of the world). This year, you all will be more qualified, more worldly, be more well-versed in the application process compared to EVERYONE ELSE who is applying for the first time. You will have that edge... and perhaps that is why others had a leg-up on YOU the first (or even second time) around. Now, the power of historical perspective is in your hands. As dramatic as that sounds, it is true. Use the knowledge to your advantage... and you guys will kick butt this time around.

Reactions: 4 users
Haha *Mother; I am flattered.
I know exactly how you feel. To be completely fair, I finally got into school about a month ago. But, when I hadn't been admitted, I was studying for the MCAT again, writing my personal statement again, and applying for jobs again. You are right in that we aren't giving up hope when we do that... but we are attempting to put our frustrations into something productive and realistic.
At that point, I hadn't given up hope... but I was fully prepared to take (yet another) year off and had a super positive attitude about applying this time around; getting into medical school this year would just be the cherry on top of it all. (But if it didn't happen, it wouldn't be the end of the world). This year, you all will be more qualified, more worldly, be more well-versed in the application process compared to EVERYONE ELSE who is applying for the first time. You will have that edge... and perhaps that is why others had a leg-up on YOU the first (or even second time) around. Now, the power of historical perspective is in your hands. As dramatic as that sounds, it is true. Use the knowledge to your advantage... and you guys will kick butt this time around.

Well, Mother: congratulations :)

Last edited:
Well, Mother: congratulations :)
Lol thanks.

Also, I realized that I may have come off as a tiny bit pretentious, but I really am trying to give you all some positive energy. These 2 years have been pretty dark for me with the applications.... and I know some (if not most) of the sentiments that are being felt here. You guy got this! If anyone needs any help with PSs or secondaries, it would be my honor to help!! I feel your pain.

I don't know about y'all, but if a school went all Yakuza and asked me to cut off my pinky to show my commitment, I'd do it at this point. I mean....when do you need your pinky?

I think you probably need BOTH pinkies for an effective golf swing.

Reactions: 2 users

do u want to go into surgery? might be a good idea to keep the pinkies

Positive vibes here

Cavs were down 3-1...came back & win it all. Guess the moral of the story is: Don't let anyone convince you that you can't do something and it is not how you start, but how you finish.

I am sure that everyone who is still waiting will become a doctor. Don't throw in that towel ;). Some schools didn't start yet.

Positive vibes here

Cavs were down 3-1...came back & win it all. Guess the moral of the story is: Don't let anyone convince you that you can't do something and it is not how you start, but how you finish.

I am sure that everyone who is still waiting will become a doctor. Don't throw in that towel ;). Some schools didn't start yet.
Or for us Warriors fans: When the Warriors were down 3-1 and came back against OKC to make it to the finals :) Let's not talk about the last 3 games of finals though :p

As a person who has been accepted, I assume you have mailed body parts in the past? Did you pack it on ice, put it in a plastic bag, etc?
Depends on the school. If you're shipping across state lines, it might be a good idea to throw some ice in there. But more importantly, you should be sure to include a nice note. When I sent a school my leg, I said, "Just trying to get my foot in the door." When I sent them my ear I left a note saying, "Are my ears burning, or is that an acceptance email you're writing?" And of course when I sent them my hand I just said, "Give me a hand! An acceptance would work too ;)"

Sent from Cook County Prison

Waitlisted, the friend-zone of medical school admissions.

It's more like being ghosted because they just stop talking to you and won't tell you what went wrong. Just break up with me so I can move on.