West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And me too!!! Accepted today! Congrats...I really enjoyed our interview group. Hope to see y'all there for the Fall!
It was a fun group :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Prestige isn't so much a factor for me but they did mention during the interview yesterday that WVSOM had the highest board scores of all DO schools this year, which tells me that if I'm willing to put in the work I could do very well here.

I am currently an OMSI and I can tell you that this person is absolutely correct. This school goes above and beyond to help students to the point that administration asks students for feedback after every block and actively changes the course every year. The student government here is also incredible with talking to the dean and president about issues. I do admit the tuition is quite a lot but I have never been happier with my choice.

The town of Lewisburg is small but you have to keep in mind that you won't have much time to do anything. The Greenbrier (Google it!) is about 15 minutes away and it's an incredible place to explore when you're bored. I think the best part of this school is that it's a campus and is only dedicated to medical students. This is advantageous because you are all on the same schedule and it's a small enough campus that you don't get overwhelmed. If any of you guys have any questions about this school, feel free to message me!

Sincerely,
A VERY happy WVSOM student :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently an OMSI and I can tell you that this person is absolutely correct. This school goes above and beyond to help students to the point that administration asks students for feedback after every block and actively changes the course every year. The student government here is also incredible with talking to the dean and president about issues. I do admit the tuition is quite a lot but I have never been happier with my choice.

The town of Lewisburg is small but you have to keep in mind that you won't have much time to do anything. The Greenbrier (Google it!) is about 15 minutes away and it's an incredible place to explore when you're bored. I think the best part of this school is that it's a campus and is only dedicated to medical students. This is advantageous because you are all on the same schedule and it's a small enough campus that you don't get overwhelmed. If any of you guys have any questions about this school, feel free to message me!

Sincerely,
A VERY happy WVSOM student :)
Thank you so much for this post Lovealy! It's nice to know that their sentiment carries through once accepted. If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about the potential clinical and community rotation sites? Good luck in your studies!

Thank you so much for this post Lovealy! It's nice to know that their sentiment carries through once accepted. If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about the potential clinical and community rotation sites? Good luck in your studies!

As a first year so far, we don't get too much exposure into what rotations will be like just yet (because we all are still grasping onto this whole studying thing haha) but every year, there is an event at the Greenbrier called Hospital Day. There you can talk to rotation and residency sites from all over the east coast (mainly in WV). From what I've experienced so far, there is a large variety of rotation sites to choose from. You do have to do one year of rotations in WV but our school is very well-connected to these sites. It ranges from mostly rural to metropolitan sites. I wish I could give you more information but if you have specific questions, I can pass on information from 2nd and 3rd years. :)

As a first year so far, we don't get too much exposure into what rotations will be like just yet (because we all are still grasping onto this whole studying thing haha) but every year, there is an event at the Greenbrier called Hospital Day. There you can talk to rotation and residency sites from all over the east coast (mainly in WV). From what I've experienced so far, there is a large variety of rotation sites to choose from. You do have to do one year of rotations in WV but our school is very well-connected to these sites. It ranges from mostly rural to metropolitan sites. I wish I could give you more information but if you have specific questions, I can pass on information from 2nd and 3rd years. :)
Excellent! Happy Thanksging :)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the adcoms meet?

For anyone who has interviewed at WVSOM, what are the nearest hotels/airports to campus?

For anyone who has interviewed at WVSOM, what are the nearest hotels/airports to campus?
Greenbrier Valley Airport is 5 minutes north of Lewisburg, and has twice daily connecting flights through DC and Atlanta through Silver Airways. There may be other connecting cities, but those are the ones I'm aware of. There may be hotel shuttles that run to the airport, if you want to call and ask them (I don't know).
Charles Yeager Airport in Charleston, WV is 1h40m away.
Roanoke, VA airport is about 1h50m away, and is the biggest of these three.

The hotels in Lewisburg are all less than 2 miles from WVSOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, what do you think about facial hair on men and interviews? If it is nice and styled would it be okay? Thank you

Hi guys, what do you think about facial hair on men and interviews? If it is nice and styled would it be okay? Thank you

I don't imagine trimmed and clean would be any kind of an issue - besides, it's getting cold!

I've kept a trimmed beard/goatee for all of my interviews and never really thought it was looked down upon. Just trim up some clean lines and knock 'em dead

Members don't see this ad :)
I've kept a trimmed beard/goatee for all of my interviews and never really thought it was looked down upon. Just trim up some clean lines and knock 'em dead
+1. Wasn't rejected post-interview once..

There is an airport in Lewisburg, but you will pay through the nose. You can fly into Charleston, WV, but in my experience that is pretty expensive too. Roanoke has always been the cheapest option for me but you do need to drive (the drive is quite pretty). Take highway 220 to I-64 and it will take you 1h 40 mins assuming the roads are clear. If you don't mind spending the extra cash, Lewisburg may be your best option. All the hotel options are solid, just pick one that fits your budget.

Also, although the hotels are really close to campus, leave a few minutes earlier than you probably should, as 219 (the main highway in Lewisburg) gets congested at times.

To all of you who have interviewed, I was wondering if you could fill me in on how the day was at WVSOM/interview formatting!? My interview is this week. Anything you recommend I prepare/prepare for (certain questions that caught you off guard/things you wish you would have thought of, etc)!?!?!

To all of you who have interviewed, I was wondering if you could fill me in on how the day was at WVSOM/interview formatting!? My interview is this week. Anything you recommend I prepare/prepare for (certain questions that caught you off guard/things you wish you would have thought of, etc)!?!?!
I PM'ed you the info on how my day went.

I just added WVSOM last week and per AACOMAS my application was released Thanksgiving (11/27) lol. The WVSOM website makes secondaries sound automatic to all applications... should I begin working on them since I'm already late?

I just added WVSOM last week and per AACOMAS my application was released Thanksgiving (11/27) lol. The WVSOM website makes secondaries sound automatic to all applications... should I begin working on them since I'm already late?

Yes, everyone fills out a secondary, but you only pay for it if you get an interview invite.

Yes, everyone fills out a secondary, but you only pay for it if you get an interview invite.
Thanks I will start working on it right now! When do you think I should expect the secondary?

Thanks I will start working on it right now! When do you think I should expect the secondary?

I received mine the same day, but that was in September so the timeline may be a little different now. It did take awhile for me to hear back after the secondary submission (beginning of October) though.

Just got an ii this morning. 99% sure I am going to withdraw due to LMU acceptance, OOS tuition and that I'm trying to spend as little money as possible right now. Hope it goes to one of you guys!

Just got an ii this morning. 99% sure I am going to withdraw due to LMU acceptance, OOS tuition and that I'm trying to spend as little money as possible right now. Hope it goes to one of you guys!
Congrats on the acceptance. You mind letting us know when you were complete for WVSOM? I submitted in mid October and havne't heard since. I called maybe last week and they said they haven't reviewed mine yet.

Interviewing soon and wanted to know some tough questions they asked and what is involved in the standard portrayers part of the day. I have no clue what to expect with this.

Congrats on the acceptance. You mind letting us know when you were complete for WVSOM? I submitted in mid October and havne't heard since. I called maybe last week and they said they haven't reviewed mine yet.

I was complete 10/21 and didn't hear anything until yesterday they sent me an email saying they got my letters. Then the ii this morning. Just be patient lol.

I called as well... Complete 9/2, and they haven't reviewed my app yet either. Just trying to be patient like everyone else!

I PM'ed you the info on how my day went.
I'm interviewing next week, anything that caught you off guard or surprised you? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated! This is my first interview of the cycle and I'm quite nervous!

I'm interviewing next week, anything that caught you off guard or surprised you? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated! This is my first interview of the cycle and I'm quite nervous!
I PM'ed you. It's easier to copy and paste there. Although I can't give specifics on the interview I think I can provide a decent amount of incite.

So in the portal it says decision pending. Will it just one day switch to interview offer extended or will I get an email?

I was complete 10/21 and didn't hear anything until yesterday they sent me an email saying they got my letters. Then the ii this morning. Just be patient lol.

Thanks this helps out a lot. I have been complete since 10/27.

So in the portal it says decision pending. Will it just one day switch to interview offer extended or will I get an email?

When I interviewed one of the students told me the portal switches, and then you get the snail mail acceptance letter. No email though. Hope that helps!! :cat:

That is correct, my portal swapped to "accepted" days before I got the letter in the mail. Just don't find yourself hitting F5 on that page all day :)

I realize now that I was not very clear in my previous post. How do they tell you that you have an interview? Is there a portal change or an email? Both? And if so, is there a lag?
Cause, I'll be honest. I'm pounding the portal website hoping for something.

I realize now that I was not very clear in my previous post. How do they tell you that you have an interview? Is there a portal change or an email? Both? And if so, is there a lag?
Cause, I'll be honest. I'm pounding the portal website hoping for something.
The portal will change and say something about your letters being uploaded. This is a sign of a forthcoming II. Sometime after, usually a few days, you'll receive a phone call for an II.

Anyone who interviewed on November 24 th at WVSOM heard back anything yet?

Interviewed here! I'm loving it. People are so welcoming :)

Now praying for my acceptance here lol

Hey Everyone! Interviewing this friday (during finals week, yikes!). Do any of you that already interviewed have any advice? Any insight on questions that may have stumped you or ethical questions that i should be prepared for? I know you can't get into the SAEs but any guidance on what to expect at all? Any way to prepare for those?

Accepted! Interviewed 11/14 . Found out through the portal. :cat:

Hey Everyone! Interviewing this friday (during finals week, yikes!). Do any of you that already interviewed have any advice? Any insight on questions that may have stumped you or ethical questions that i should be prepared for? I know you can't get into the SAEs but any guidance on what to expect at all? Any way to prepare for those?

Good luck! Two of my friends will be the first years you will have lunch with this Friday. They're both really great and open to any question so don't be afraid to ask them anything!

Does anyone know how long from getting a complete email to getting a decision on an interview invite takes? Do they silently reject pre-interview?

Does anyone know how long from getting a complete email to getting a decision on an interview invite takes? Do they silently reject pre-interview?
I submitted on 10/17. The only contact afterwards was when they requested a document clarification yesterday from me before they will review my file. I did call on 11/25 and they said my file wasn't reviewed yet but may be pushed back a bit due to an issue I had on my file. They are pretty swamped also.

Accepted!!! :):):)

Interviewed 12/01. Found out through the portal today!!

Good luck to everyone else! And if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me :)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!!! :):):)

Interviewed 12/01. Found out through the portal today!!

Good luck to everyone else! And if anyone has questions, feel free to PM me :)
When were you complete?