West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today, North Carolina resident..stats to those interested: 3.7c/3.7s/25 (8p/8v/9b), then 504 aka 27-28 (11p/7v/9B still a 9 despite 11% improvement in percentile in this section.. /9P+S)

Your stats should be good for this school. but I believe this school has a pretty strong regional bias. I'd skip applying if you don't live near West Virginia or the Appalachian area. Then again, you don't have to pay upfront. So no loss in giving it a go.

Good to know thank you! And congratulations on the II! I have found the following attachment really helpful in determining if COM are regional biased or like students from all over. It looks like WVSOM is slightly biased with accepting more students from directly around the state but it also looks like they like students from all over too :)

Members don't see this ad.

II today, North Carolina resident..stats to those interested: 3.7c/3.7s/25 (8p/8v/9b), then 504 aka 27-28 (11p/7v/9B still a 9 despite 11% improvement in percentile in this section.. /9P+S)

Your stats should be good for this school. but I believe this school has a pretty strong regional bias. I'd skip applying if you don't live near West Virginia or the Appalachian area. Then again, you don't have to pay upfront. So no loss in giving it a go.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 1.48.46 PM.png
Sorry I forgot to add the attachment my bad. Here it is in this mesage

Reactions: 1 user
The only reason there are more instates because how low the tuition is comparing to the tuition for out of state students.

Members don't see this ad :)
frick it is expensive/time consuming to get there from Chicago.. round trip direct flights are like $800+!!!! To Charleston, no less... then imma have to drive like 2 hours south at like 11:30 PM the night before I interview? rabble rabble

At that price why not just take the day and drive in? It'd be like a 9 hr drive? Still be way cheaper than flying if your car isn't on its deathbed.

Considering applying now to this school. 497 mcat with 3.4 cgpa. Is it worth applying here with these stats?

At that price why not just take the day and drive in? It'd be like a 9 hr drive? Still be way cheaper than flying if your car isn't on its deathbed.

Unfortunately I have a lab I can't miss and every other day they offered me to interview I have five classes so I needed a direct flight... haha

Denied. Suxxx really liked the school.

Last edited:
Denied. Suxxx really liked the school.
dang sorry to hear that! I am rooting for you
Did you contact them, what do you think went wrong?
Good luck, I hope you hear some good news soon!

frick it is expensive/time consuming to get there from Chicago.. round trip direct flights are like $800+!!!! To Charleston, no less... then imma have to drive like 2 hours south at like 11:30 PM the night before I interview? rabble rabble

Did you look into flying into Roanoke, VA? When I fly back to MN, I use the airport in Roanoke. It's always been cheaper, and you don't have any tolls you have to deal with getting to Lewisburg. It's even a tad quicker to go to Roanoke that it is to Charleston from Lewisburg.

Oh snap I'll look into it!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just waiting for transcripts to be sent to ACOMAS for my application to be submitted. I hate that I dragged my feet for so long out of nervousness, but I guess that's what I get. I'm in state with a 3.25 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 508 MCAT, and a strong passion for rural medicine. I'm hoping I'm not too late in the cycle.

How long does it take to get an interview after completing secondary?

How long does it take to get an interview after completing secondary?

Last cycle when I applied it took 2 months, but I had slightly non-competitive application. Your stats play a large role in the speed of your IIs.

I'm just waiting for transcripts to be sent to ACOMAS for my application to be submitted. I hate that I dragged my feet for so long out of nervousness, but I guess that's what I get. I'm in state with a 3.25 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 508 MCAT, and a strong passion for rural medicine. I'm hoping I'm not too late in the cycle.

MCAT should save you. Go ahead and apply!

Considering applying now to this school. 497 mcat with 3.4 cgpa. Is it worth applying here with these stats?

Can't hurt because you don't have to pay until you have been invited to interview. You'll be on the less competitive side unfortunately.

Hi guys, I have my interview scheduled here for 10/19. I wanted to know how your interview experience was. Specifically the mini 7 minute interviews. Are they with someone portraying a patient or just a random person? Hopefully all goes well on interview day.

Secondary in 9/11- just got emailed rejection. Really loved this school too! :(

Why do you think that was? and it's okay keep your head up its a long cycle

My GPA was substantially lowered as my entire undergrad degree overseas didn't count towards verification, and two C grades in my few postbacc sciences courses lowered it more. I'm retaking those two classes now, and another new science class, and hoping for a second look in January.

That said, I got a really nice, supportive email from the adcom regarding it. Only strengthens my position that WVSOM is one of my top choices!

My GPA was substantially lowered as my entire undergrad degree overseas didn't count towards verification, and two C grades in my few postbacc sciences courses lowered it more. I'm retaking those two classes now, and another new science class, and hoping for a second look in January.

That said, I got a really nice, supportive email from the adcom regarding it. Only strengthens my position that WVSOM is one of my top choices!

I wish you the best of luck keep with it you really never know what can happen

I've bee complete since 9/15 and nothing since. Their website says that we can expect to hear back within 2 weeks of completion date , getting worried :(

I haven't heard anything from this school. I submitted by secondary back in late august. Does anyone else have this issue?

Got an email saying my letters were uploaded to my portal, but still in decision pending!

Got an email saying my letters were uploaded to my portal, but still in decision pending!
when did you submit your secondary? Could you share, plz? I am trying to figure out that for my app. Does it say decision pending or decision deferred?

Did you all get your letters confirmed on the checklist before getting an interview or after?
Thanks in advance

I have a couple of questions guys:

The secondary question regarding law infractions, would I have to list a ticket I received for not yielding on a left turn? I went to court and the ticket was dropped after paying fines.

Second, do med schools read LORS before sending II?

Application all submitted, now just waiting for for my last transcript to be received by AACOMAS and I'll hopefully be able to still get a secondary and eventually an II. Good luck everyone!

Can someone get an acceptance here in December, because I saw some schools on SDN start giving out wait list positions because they where full? Thanks

Can someone get an acceptance here in December, because I saw some schools on SDN start giving out wait list positions because they where full? Thanks
There are always positions opening up, even after they start wait listing good applicants. Many students end up taking a spot at another school, which leaves open seats. I interviewed in March last year and there were 3 out of the 8 students that interviewed with me that were accepted. Good luck!

I'm sure this has been asked, but does anyone know where i can a match list for 2015 or 2014? thanks

I have a couple of questions guys:

The secondary question regarding law infractions, would I have to list a ticket I received for not yielding on a left turn? I went to court and the ticket was dropped after paying fines.

Second, do med schools read LORS before sending II?

BUMP

I called the school when I applied and they said I had to include traffic violations. This may be different where yours was dismissed. I would contact the school directly with this question. They are super lax and will let you know what to do.

As for LORs it's all speculation on our part. I would assume they read them, but not sure.

I called the school when I applied and they said I had to include traffic violations. This may be different where yours was dismissed. I would contact the school directly with this question. They are super lax and will let you know what to do.

As for LORs it's all speculation on our part. I would assume they read them, but not sure.

I think they mean traffic violations that are misdemeanors. if not, then I forgot to disclose a speeding ticket from a few years ago.

I think they mean traffic violations that are misdemeanors. if not, then I forgot to disclose a speeding ticket from a few years ago.
I specifically asked about it, being that I have only minor infractions and they said to send an email with details but put yes. I wouldn't sweat it though.

Just submitted the secondary to WVSOM! Anyone have any examples on turn around rate from secondary submission to II for this school? After reading their entire website I am very interested in this school.

Just submitted the secondary to WVSOM! Anyone have any examples on turn around rate from secondary submission to II for this school? After reading their entire website I am very interested in this school.

I only had a turnaround of a day, but it was earlier in the cycle. Good luck!

I specifically asked about it, being that I have only minor infractions and they said to send an email with details but put yes. I wouldn't sweat it though.

I turned in my application and already got an interview. I'll send them an email... asking for non-criminal moving infractions is really just too much for them to know, but whatever.