Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danimjo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application season has started and although last year's school specific threads hold a wealth of info. I'd like to start some dialogue around this years application process! Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a secondary from Western COMP yet?

Has anyone received a secondary from Western COMP yet?

danimjo,

I know Western screens the primary application heavily before sending out the secondary. Don't be surprised if it is the last D.O. secondary sent to you. I am sure they'll be sending you one shortly :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also interested to see if anyone has received a secondary yet.

I attended an info session in June and they told us that if you are getting a secondary you would receive it within a week of when they receive your primary

But, according to everyone on sdn, this is not a true statement. I am just concerned because this statement was directly from admissions.

Thanks for preparing me to receive Western's secondary last. It's good to know!

If they screen heavily do they then also make severe cuts at the secondary stage or do they pretty much send a secondary to everybody?

Thanks for preparing me to receive Western's secondary last. It's good to know!

If they screen heavily do they then also make severe cuts at the secondary stage or do they pretty much send a secondary to everybody?

danimjo,

From what I've heard, they are pretty selective in who they send secondary applications to. I don't know how severe the cut is at this stage, but there is one for sure.

danimjo,

From what I've heard, they are pretty selective in who they send secondary applications to. I don't know how severe the cut is at this stage, but there is one for sure.

Somehow that makes me feel good and bad at the same time, like if I get past this stage my chances are better, but there is a chance I won't make it past this stage... sheesh... the anxiety...

Just received Western's secondary today. Was browsing through the 08-09 cycle and many had interview invites w/ their secondary. I did not. Secondary apps are starting to pile up :( Will try to finish most of my essays be the end of this weekend and have them sent out and be done with the madness.

I received one too, no interview. I wouldn't sweat it, if you read enough of the thread you will see a lot of ppl that just got the secondary and then later got accepted.

Can one of you guys please share the secondary essay prompts? I haven't gotten it yet, but I really want to get working on it in my free time. Thanks!

Hm, I am wondering why I haven't heard from this school still...I was verified so long ago, and have heard from everyone else. :rolleyes:

Here's the link to it. You don't need to log in to get it, but I'm guessing they don't want secondaries unsolicited.

Woo Hoo! I just got the secondary for Western! I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know if it's tough or not, but I guess this means I made it past the first cut!

Anyone else get the secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are the essay prompts:

1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an
osteopathic physician?

2. What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high
level of expectation?

3. Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically
Disadvantaged community.

Wow! These are much different than any of the other essays I've encountered, and specifically Number 2! Looks like I've got a long weekend ahead of me!

Is it just me, or is there 2 threads for this school for some reason? :rolleyes: Still no secondary here for me.

I haven't been verified yet (submitted 7/10), but I have seen the Western secondary. I'm wondering if there's a word limit for the essays. From what I can gather, we're to simply fill up the white space beneath each question with our answers. Does anyone know what that white space roughly translates into as far as word counts are concerned? I'd rather write out my responses in Word and then copy/paste them over. A word limit would help in the process.

1. While shadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an
osteopathic physician?

2. What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high level of expectation?

3. Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically Disadvantaged community.

Wow, 1 is new and 3 is completely different than last years and would have given me drastic issues. Glad I applied last year and not this year.

osteopathic physician?

2. What criteria did you use to select a medical school and why does WesternU/COMP meet your high
level of expectation?

3. Describe your participation in community service activities in a medically underserved or economically
Disadvantaged community.

Wow! These are much different than any of the other essays I've encountered, and specifically Number 2! Looks like I've got a long weekend ahead of me!

Thanks for posting the essay questions. I still haven't got the secondary, but this heads up will definitely let me get going on it.

Good thing you didn't worry TOO much about not being able to make the secondary cut danimjo. :thumbup:

Is it just me, or is there 2 threads for this school for some reason? :rolleyes: Still no secondary here for me.

I think one of the threads is from last years application cycle 2008-2009... and people just keep adding on to it.

For the record for this years thread. The waitlist started moving on 7/22/09 for last year's application cycle.

posted in the wrong forum.... I'm ridiculous...

Last edited:
So what do you do if you cant really answer question 3? is it even worth filling out the secondary??

So what do you do if you cant really answer question 3? is it even worth filling out the secondary??

I don't know, but since they screen pretty heavily before sending out secondaries they definitely want you as a candidate even without your community service. Perhaps explain another volunteer activity, or explain why you couldn't participate in community service (for example: you are financially independent, were involved in research and the debate team, and worked hard to maintain a 3.7 GPA... you do believe that volunteering is important but while an undergrad you just didn't have the time... and then find a weekend volunteer opportunity to participate in before your interview?)

I wonder if only 1/2 page concise responses to each of their 3 essay question are sufficient? (I'm trying to finish Western's secondary this weekend because they said to complete it 'within 30 days'). I have writer's block now, haha..

I wonder if only 1/2 page concise responses to each of their 3 essay question are sufficient? (I'm trying to finish Western's secondary this weekend because they said to complete it 'within 30 days'). I have writer's block now, haha..

I think so, the word count for that half page of space seems about on par with the other essays I've filled out.

I still haven't heard anything from this school... :confused: Should I be concerned?

I still haven't heard anything from this school... :confused: Should I be concerned?
I'm not sure if they're behind in processing but I mailed my secondary early last week and they haven't yet received it. I think it's pretty unlikely it got lost in the mail.

haven't heard anything, as in you haven't received the secondary yet? or haven't heard anything as in you've submitted the secondary and haven't received confirmation?

If you haven't received the secondary, someone earlier on this thread told me not to be surprised if Western's was the last secondary I received.... so I'm repeating that sage advice to you...

If you've submitted the secondary and haven't heard anything I would call them...

I'm not sure if they're behind in processing but I mailed my secondary early last week and they haven't yet received it. I think it's pretty unlikely it got lost in the mail.

It's a little late for this for Western, but I always get delivery confirmation for my medical schools apps It only costs about $2 and that way you can go to usps.com and check to see when the school received it and who signed for it.

haven't heard anything, as in you haven't received the secondary yet? or haven't heard anything as in you've submitted the secondary and haven't received confirmation?

If you haven't received the secondary, someone earlier on this thread told me not to be surprised if Western's was the last secondary I received.... so I'm repeating that sage advice to you...

If you've submitted the secondary and haven't heard anything I would call them...

Okay, thanks. I haven't received the secondary yet, but I am going to shadow a DO before I send it in anyways. I still don't like that I haven't even heard anything from them, though. Makes me a little worried!

I finally got the secondary this week. I was verified in June and just barely got it.
I was told directly by Western that you should get the secondary within a week of been verified....but obviously that is NOT the case since it took over a month for me
I wouldn't worry if I were you, you could always call to ease your mind

Off topic a bit: is anyone here applying after having completed a post-bac/SMP? Am not sure how favorably/unfavorably they look upon this.

There are 2 Tufts MBS students in the class of 2013 at Western if that tells you anything.

There are 2 Tufts MBS students in the class of 2013 at Western if that tells you anything.
Damn... I guess things aren't looking too good then, that's only 2 out of over 100 right?

verified july 21st? released 23rd? received today 8/4 for all those curious!

verified july 21st? released 23rd? received today 8/4 for all those curious!

Exactly the same dates for me! haha

I don't know what to do though. I have a LOT of clinical experience but none of it was plain old shadowing. Makes the question on shadowing a little hard.

Damn... I guess things aren't looking too good then, that's only 2 out of over 100 right?

to me that says a lot That's two people from the same program. I have no clue about other program.

/brought to you my new writing tablet.

@HaveHope, yeah.... I actually HAVE shadowing experience with a DO but yet i'm still having a hard time answering the first question. The doctor I shadowed didn't perform anything very 'osteopathic-like' (OMM) I didn't get to witness any of that, honestly I hate when DO schools ask this particular type of question, it just puts me ina weird position where I feel like I have to lie about it or say something i dont believe in. I mean from what i hear, the DO curriculum is virtually identical to a MD school's curriculum and the DO philosophy with the whole body view is also held by MD.. so what the hell should we even write..?

Exactly the same dates for me! haha

I don't know what to do though. I have a LOT of clinical experience but none of it was plain old shadowing. Makes the question on shadowing a little hard.

I'm in the same boat. I think they just want to know how you arrived at your decision to enter osteopathic medicine, and the majority of pre-meds shadow doctors. I'm just going to say that I never shadowed a doctor, but based on my clinical and life experiences my reasons are x, y, and z.

I'm in the same boat. I think they just want to know how you arrived at your decision to enter osteopathic medicine, and the majority of pre-meds shadow doctors. I'm just going to say that I never shadowed a doctor, but based on my clinical and life experiences my reasons are x, y, and z.

Yup that's exactly how I'm doing it!

Hey guys I just started school at WesternU. Today is actually the first day of "real" class. Everyone here loves it and is really enjoying it thus far. I wish you guys all the best and hope to see you soon.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post up here and I'll answer them for you.

Also, if you get accepted join the "COMP 2014" FACEBOOK GROUP

Is it true that Western U COMP screens applicants aggressively for supplemental applications, that if you get one and complete it, you will be interviewed? This is what I have been hearing, wondering if its true.

Is it true that Western U COMP screens applicants aggressively for supplemental applications, that if you get one and complete it, you will be interviewed? This is what I have been hearing, wondering if its true.

This has been discussed previously on this thread, they do screen heavily, but I don't know that everyone who gets a supplemental gets an interview.

Well I was hearing that they don't send out that many supplementals so I heard the chances of getting an interview at COMP are supposed to be good.

Well I was hearing that they don't send out that many supplementals so I heard the chances of getting an interview at COMP are supposed to be good.

That sounds reasonable...

Is anyone else concerned with the high living expenses for Western? Just checked their site and it says that MS1's have to pay 70k.... second year 66k... third 76k.. that's scary as hell to me. Does it alarm anyone else? That's like 240k+ in loans by the time I get out.

Last edited: