Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there a facebook page started yet for the class of 2015 for COMP northwest? i got into several school and decided on WesternU - Lebanon! Would like to get to know some of my future classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

is there a facebook page started yet for the class of 2015 for COMP northwest? i got into several school and decided on WesternU - Lebanon! Would like to get to know some of my future classmates!

i just started one...i'm not sure if i did it right because facebook has totally changed since the last time i started a group but i think it's up and going. so everybody join! do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the status is regarding when the school will become accredited? Will it affect your ability to practice medicine if you graduate from an institution that isn't accredited?

Does anyone know what the status is regarding when the school will become accredited? Will it affect your ability to practice medicine if you graduate from an institution that isn't accredited?

I was under the impression that given that COMP-NW is a new campus and not a new school, it is already accredited. According to the website, WesternU was fully accredited in 1982. I couldn't find any mention of a second accreditation or pre-accreditation process for the new campus...

I hope I am right about this... it does seem important.

Accepted!!!!!! I can't wait to meet everyone and finally get started toward our future career! By the way, how amazing is the white coat ceremony going to be!!!!??? I'm pretty sure we might have the best one - DO and MD! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and getting ready to interview! All I've got to say is it's ridiculously worth the wait!

Accepted!!!!!! I can't wait to meet everyone and finally get started toward our future career! By the way, how amazing is the white coat ceremony going to be!!!!??? I'm pretty sure we might have the best one - DO and MD! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear and getting ready to interview! All I've got to say is it's ridiculously worth the wait!

Congrats!!!

Congrats! I got the acceptance phone call today!!! Great surprise because I was driving to another interview =).

Congrats! I got the acceptance phone call today!!! Great surprise because I was driving to another interview =).

Did you turn around and go home? ;o)

Members don't see this ad :)
Tempting ;)...but I was almost there.

Did it happen to be PNWU? If so, what did you think? I have to decide on Western before my interview there in Jan, but I am thinking about checking it out anyways... worth it?

I canceled my 12/11 interview I left a message with the office so if anyone wants to move their interview date up I'd call them ASAP.

Did it happen to be PNWU? If so, what did you think? I have to decide on Western before my interview there in Jan, but I am thinking about checking it out anyways... worth it?

I interviewed at PNWU last year. I liked it a lot, but I think I like western U more. I feel a lot better about attending a school that has a well established curriculum, as well as well established clinical rotations...
PNWU has a beautiful building and really friendly people, but western that as well.

Good guess :cool:. I'm going to have to mirror nads1219 on this one. It's hard to turn down a more established program for one that is new. That being said, I really liked PNWU; the rotations seem to being going well and they are working on more along with affiliated residencies. The rotations are community based, so very few students, which means a lot of hands-on experience. Also, all the core rotations are in one spot, so less moving around. The new building is allowing more space for research and there are already plans for another expansion. Overall, I feel like the programs are somewhat similar and people were friendly and supportive at both places. However, if I get accepted to PNWU also, I still think it will be a tough decision.

I would say go and check it if you think it's somewhere you'd like to be.

I think either way you go you will be happy. I know a lot of good people are invested in the success of both schools.

Question: I know most medical schools allow deferrals for medical emergencies, but I couldn't find it in their student handbook. Does anyone know for sure if they grant deferrals for medical reasons?

Seeing as though this is the last secondary I am filling out...my life skills are almost non-existent and I'm having some trouble understanding the directions...quick question....are all 4 essays supposed to total a page or less, or is each essay supposed to be a page or less...thanks, and congrats to all who are already accepted ;)

Seeing as though this is the last secondary I am filling out...my life skills are almost non-existent and I'm having some trouble understanding the directions...quick question....are all 4 essays supposed to total a page or less, or is each essay supposed to be a page or less...thanks, and congrats to all who are already accepted ;)

Great question! I feel as though it could be interpreted either way. Would appreciate clarification as well! :D

I was accepted last month and before that, I emailed them and asked the same question. The response was...

"Each question should be limited to 32,000 characters, which works out to be a page per question."

I think maybe one of my essays was a full page; other than that they varied from half to a full page. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch...mine are all about 3/4 of a page...wasn't sure if I'd be cutting out or adding to...now I can just send it off! Much appreciated and congrats!!

Interviewed yesterday.... They have something really amazing starting in Lebanon. I would encourage all who have been invited to interview to do so... It is worth the trip!

Has anyone in the 12/11 group gotten any news yet? I know they were shooting for tomorrow, 12/17, to have all of the letters out and decisions made.....but I was wondering if those who have other deadlines coming up (deposits, interviews) have heard anything. I leave tomorrow for the holidays and family wedding and won't be back until after New Years... I would hate to have my decision sitting in my mailbox for 2 weeks!

Has anyone in the 12/11 group gotten any news yet? I know they were shooting for tomorrow, 12/17, to have all of the letters out and decisions made.....but I was wondering if those who have other deadlines coming up (deposits, interviews) have heard anything. I leave tomorrow for the holidays and family wedding and won't be back until after New Years... I would hate to have my decision sitting in my mailbox for 2 weeks!

I interviewed 12/11 and have not heard anything as of yet.

Interviewed Dec. 11th.

Still no word.

I called them a little while ago, and they're apparently not done with the list yet. The woman I talked to said if they don't get it today, it's a possibility we won't be hearing from them for two more weeks because everyone's on vacation.

This includes the list for students that have already been accepted to other schools and have deadlines to meet.

Interviewed Dec. 11th.

Still no word.

I called them a little while ago, and they're apparently not done with the list yet. The woman I talked to said if they don't get it today, it's a possibility we won't be hearing from them for two more weeks because everyone's on vacation.

This includes the list for students that have already been accepted to other schools and have deadlines to meet.

Ughhh....Waiting that long may kill me.

I interviewed Dec. 11 and was told last night (Dec. 17) that I got in! Good luck to you all and possibly "see you in Oregon!"

I interviewed Dec. 11 and was told last night (Dec. 17) that I got in! Good luck to you all and possibly "see you in Oregon!"

Maybe they only told those who were accepted over the phone... And the rest of us were told we need to wait for the list...because they don't want to give us the bad news over the phone. :(

Has anyone else received a call from Western University? What time did you get the call Ehdoo?

Hi All,
This is my first post. I just got my interview for Jan 8th and was reading through your comments. I got kind of a late start on my apps cause my mcat was scheduled later in the year. Does anyone got any advice on interview prep. I'm kinda nervous this will be my first one.

Thanks

Congrats! Look for our FB group :)

It's really surprising to me that they were going to try to have all of the decisions out in only 6 days. The first two groups had to wait 3-5 weeks! I guess that's a perk of the holidays :)
If you haven't heard anything yet, I wouldn't worry too much. Some from our group (Nov 6th) received letters 1-2 weeks before others. They don't get through everyone every time they meet.

Good luck to the January interviewees and Happy Holidays, Everyone!

Hi All,
This is my first post. I just got my interview for Jan 8th and was reading through your comments. I got kind of a late start on my apps cause my mcat was scheduled later in the year. Does anyone got any advice on interview prep. I'm kinda nervous this will be my first one.

Thanks

Be yourself. The faculty and interviewers just want to see if you will be a good fit for Western. My experience at Western was very positive and everybody was very warm and welcoming. It helps with the nerves a little bit, but I would think it would be weird to not be nervous for an interview at a school you really care about! Know your application and why you want to pursue becoming a doctor! Good Luck!

Has anyone else received a call from Western University? What time did you get the call Ehdoo?

I got the call at the odd time of 8:30 p.m.-ish Arizona time. Which would mean it was 7:30 p.m. in Oregon. I was amazed that someone was working that late. I didn't recognize the name of the person that called me. I actually missed the call, called back, and she was so busy trying to get notices out that she forgot if I was accepted or not. So, it was a tense minute waiting to hear that I was actually accepted. :luck:

I think I was notified first because I let the school know that I was in a time crunch for another university's deposit.

My husband and I drove to Lebanon to look at the building and even though it is not finished it looks great! All of the small study rooms have windows, the OMM and anatomy labs are very spacious as are the lecture halls and all the common spaces.
We went to a restaurant in town and I asked the server about the medical school opening up and he said that the town is enthusiastic and a bond measure recently passed to fund the building of a VA facility close to where the hospital and school are located.

Good Luck to all -

My husband and I drove to Lebanon to look at the building and even though it is not finished it looks great! All of the small study rooms have windows, the OMM and anatomy labs are very spacious as are the lecture halls and all the common spaces.
We went to a restaurant in town and I asked the server about the medical school opening up and he said that the town is enthusiastic and a bond measure recently passed to fund the building of a VA facility close to where the hospital and school are located.

Good Luck to all -

Can you go inside now? I was there last week to show my in-laws and it didn't look like anyone could get in.

It is NOT open at all - there is obviously still a lot of construction going on. This was a particular situation and required signing of releases and hard hats etc. But I CAN tell you it will be a lovely place to learn!

Did anybody hear if they got the letters out before they went on break? I am surprised that those from Oregon haven't received their letters yet since it is Wednesday.... I can't imagine mail in OR is that slow?!

Accepted!

Interviewed 12/11, just got the call this morning!

I really liked Western but now I have some tough decisions...

I'd be happy to go to Western, and might pick them anyway even if I have a choice, but I wish I didn't feel so rushed to pick them. I have two interviews scheduled after the deposit to hold my place at Western. What if there's a school that's a better match for me?

Oh well, one way or another I got in somewhere, and that's good enough for me!

:banana:

ACCEPTED:D

Just got the call as well. The person I talked to said that the letters would be going out next week.

It is NOT open at all - there is obviously still a lot of construction going on. This was a particular situation and required signing of releases and hard hats etc. But I CAN tell you it will be a lovely place to learn!

Dayamn! That's bold. :) Glad to hear it will be nice.

Just got a nice message from Western U COMP-NW and I got an offer of acceptance! I am so excited, I have 3 more interviews but think I will cancel them. With the brand new facility and the amazing staff I don't think that there is a better fit for me being an Oregon native. Congratulations to all that got accepted!

Last edited:
Congrats guys! Were you on the list to be notified early?

Congrats guys! Were you on the list to be notified early?

I was not on a deadline/deposit list. This was my first interview for medical school so I should of been lumped in with everyone else without any deadlines.

Last edited:
I'm glad I didn't read this thread in the past few days, I would've been stressing out since other people got calls. I got my call this morning, and was offered an acceptance. I have a couple other DO interviews (wvsom/azcom), but I'm thinking about ditching them and throwing my lot in with Western. I really enjoyed the interview day and it seems very promising. Oh, and they said letters will go out next week.

edit: I got the letter today. It was postmarked on the 16th.. Apparently the post office is very slow.

I would recommend you go to your other interviews. Are you really sold on WesternU? You might find something else that really speaks to you...

Congrats to everyone that has received an acceptance! I'm glad to hear that so many other interviewees liked the school as much as my wife and I do. We interviewed on Dec. 11, and got a couple of calls from WesternU-NW on the 17th and a few days ago. We have both decided that we want to attend WesternU because of the small tight-knit community, great curriculum, and friendly staff. I'll see you all in July/August!