Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
either 8/22 or 8/13

last thing they received was on 8/13 but didn't get approved for a review till 8/22 :confused: what ever that means

If that was in an email, I definitely didn't get one. They got my last science LOR something like 8/7, and they got my last set of MCAT scores around 8/16. I think we still have a while before we hear anything, whether it's good news or bad news

If that was in an email, I definitely didn't get one. They got my last science LOR something like 8/7, and they got my last set of MCAT scores around 8/16. I think we still have a while before we hear anything, whether it's good news or bad news

yeah,,, i really hope hope and hope that they give me ii and eventually accept me,,,,

yeah,,, i really hope hope and hope that they give me ii and eventually accept me,,,,

I submitted my application around the 5th of July. Received the invite two weeks ago. I never got a complete email or anything like it so try not to worry too much about when you were complete. It's a long process and can be very stressful if you're worrying about everything.

Got an interview invite at Western Pomona this afternoon! Didn't get a phone call like everyone else; only got an email. Is that a bad sign?

Anyways, they only gave me two dates (Sept. 24 and October 4). Sept. 4 it will be since I will be in Philly on the 4th of October.

Got an interview invite at Western Pomona this afternoon! Didn't get a phone call like everyone else; only got an email. Is that a bad sign?

Anyways, they only gave me two dates (Sept. 24 and October 4). Sept. 4 it will be since I will be in Philly on the 4th of October.

yeah, its a horrible sign, you should just call and withdraw :eek:

Well that's different. Maybe they tried calling you a bunch of times and then sent you an email because you weren't getting back to them or something? When were you complete btw?

Well that's different. Maybe they tried calling you a bunch of times and then sent you an email because you weren't getting back to them or something? When were you complete btw?

Complete in mid to late July. Maybe they did try calling me, but I never got any missed calls or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the congrats!

I have a 3.4 cGPA/3.3 sGPA and a 31S MCAT.

i really meant to say congrat., i was being sarcastic.. good luck with the interview and i really hope i get an ii there as well

Six interviews? That's great! Congratulations!

I'm also waiting to hear from Western. It's my top DO choice. I already have a scheduled interview in CA in October, so it would be nice if they send me an invitation some time around then, so that I don't have to fly back. Though, I think this is the only school I'd be willing to fly back to interview.

:xf:

If you contact the admission office and tell them you are flying into CA for an interview and would love to see if you would be able to interview there at the same time, they might accomodate you - that's if they had planned on inviting you in the first place. Worth a try.

Still haven't heard back.

Which airport are you guys flying into? Ontario is the closest but also the most expensive. Long Beach and SNA/Orange County are relatively close; both are around 40 miles from Western. I might as well buy the tickets to Ontario if the shuttle costs for the other airports end up costing a lot.

Which airport are you guys flying into? Ontario is the closest but also the most expensive. Long Beach and SNA/Orange County are relatively close; both are around 40 miles from Western. I might as well buy the tickets to Ontario if the shuttle costs for the other airports end up costing a lot.

if you guys time it right, you guys can ride public transportation from LAX to Pomona via metrolink. there are two lines that go to pomona from downtown LA

if you guys time it right, you guys can ride public transportation from LAX to Pomona via metrolink. there are two lines that go to pomona from downtown LA

Thanks for letting me know. I will definitely look into this option.

Thanks for letting me know. I will definitely look into this option.

bit tedious, but def doable and saves money.

shuttle from lax to long beach costs around 60 bucks...

I'd pick-up a rental car from the airport and become independent in order to be able to check around the school and places around a bit. I'll do the same.

Just got off the phone, and... Interview! scheduled for 10/20 :D:D

This will be the closest and cheapest interview and my top choice!

congrat!!!,,, since getting invite from NSU, I am getting stoked about the possibility of attending a school that is only 20 minutes from the beach

CONGRATS! I have been frantically checking my missed calls/voice mail but nothing so far.

I never got any complete email but my online portal indicates that they have received everything. did you ever get a complete email?

Nope, they don't send complete emails. Sorry I guess I should have asked when they received everything haha

Received my secondary app today
Do they accept fee waiver?

I am attending an interview at this School, and was wondering, any one who might have any tips, anything they wish they would have known before their interivew. Also could I take a folder or a notepad, to write down questions, if I have any?

I-I this morning. I have an interview scheduled for 9/24. I'll probably fly into LAX on the 23rd. Would anyone like to go in on a rental car? I'm thinking if 4 or 5 of us split up the cost, it could be cheaper than a shuttle... If anyone already has a car, I would be happy to go in on it. Please PM me if interested.

Pay the fee, then they give it back. I don't remember what the turnaround time was. I think it was within 7 days. There was a post about this a few pages back. I didn't really pay attention because it did not apply to me.

dsoz

Pay the fee, then they give it back. I don't remember what the turnaround time was. I think it was within 7 days. There was a post about this a few pages back. I didn't really pay attention because it did not apply to me.

dsoz

Yeah they say 5-7 business days but it took about 12 business days to get my refund. After you pay the fee email [email protected] and request a refund.

If you are going to interview here I highly recommend that you get a car and check out the surrounding towns where most of the students live like Claremont, Chino Hills and La Verne. Most people won't find Pomona very appealing, but there are several nice areas a 10-15 minute drive from campus.

If you are going to interview here I highly recommend that you get a car and check out the surrounding towns where most of the students live like Claremont, Chino Hills and La Verne. Most people won't find Pomona very appealing, but there are several nice areas a 10-15 minute drive from campus.

How about the school system in Pomona and around (middle schools)? Which areas are family friendly?

How about the school system in Pomona and around (middle schools)? Which areas are family friendly?

Claremont, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga are all really nice areas as long as you're north of the 10 freway. Stay north of the 10 freeway if you want to stay in good areas.

I got a phone call on my cellphone from a random number...

Me- :: omg is this it?!?!?! :: hello?
Person- Hi may I please speak to NekoBeats?
Me- Yes this is she..
Person- Hi NekoBeats, this is Person calling from SomeAutoShop. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Just wanted to let you know that the part you ordered has finally arrive, so you can bring your car by anytime and we can install it within the hour!
Me on the outside- Ohh awesome, thank you!!
Me on the inside-

ffuuu.jpg

Me- Yes this is she..
Person- Hi NekoBeats, this is Person calling from SomeAutoShop. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Just wanted to let you know that the part you ordered has finally arrive, so you can bring your car by anytime and we can install it within the hour!
Me on the inside-

ffuuu.jpg

Hahahahahahaha wow thats horrible....

Me- Yes this is she..
Me on the inside-

ffuuu.jpg

Wow, they called you by your SDN moniker! No wonder you were confused ;)

Good luck, and hope you get the real call shortly!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to re-extend the invitation one last time to anyone who wants to get an early dinner the night before the September 8th interview. I think it would be nice to interview with friendly faces, as opposed to bathing in the tension. PM me if you're interested. Good luck, everyone!

Me- Yes this is she..
Me on the inside-

ffuuu.jpg

ahahaha!! I am embarrased to admit that everytime I see an unfamiliar phone #, I have the exact same reaction. I have even pictured in my head how I am going to break the ii news to my parents, who would react as if they won the lottery if they find out that I have the possibility of going to a school so close to home. On the other hand, I am ready to go to a school in the middle of nowhere as long as its in America!:)

I would stay out of Pomona. In addition to the cities listed San Dimas is nice too. I live in La Verne and really like it. It's quiet, housing is reasonable (i live in a 2BR townhouse for 1150), and the schools seem nice. I would check out Claremont and La Verne first then Chino Hills and Rancho Cucamonga.

May I ask why everyone is saying to stay out of Pomona? What, specifically, made each of you prefer to stay away?

May I ask why everyone is saying to stay out of Pomona? What, specifically, made each of you prefer to stay away?

its just not the nicest part of socal. Pomona gangs are bit notorious although i don't think you will be effected on campus. the campus is also kinda funny looking since it was converted from an outdoor shopping mall. far from those glimering towers and buildings of other socal medical centers and univerisities.

its just not the nicest part of socal. Pomona gangs are bit notorious although i don't think you will be effected on campus. the campus is also kinda funny looking since it was converted from an outdoor shopping mall. far from those glimering towers and buildings of other socal medical centers and univerisities.
Muy interesante. I'm from the Inglewood/Redondo area way West; so I've never heard about Pomona Gs. I'll take everyone's word for it if it's the consensus, though...