Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't receive anything, but I am from the Midwest.

I was talking about the first. Great, we should receive a letter today then!

Members don't see this ad.

They mailed the letters yesterday

Nothing in the mail today! What is going on? I got an acceptance from my 9/24 interview before I got anything from Western and I interviewed here 2+ weeks earlier.

P.S.
tumblr_m0uqpy4mSz1qjrxbg.gif

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the letter today. Accepted! Hello to another four years in beautiful So Cal!

About a 1 hour drive from the campus. I drove around and hunted my mailman down though. He said he would have arrived at my house 2 hours later if I hadn't approached him.

Sorry to hear that MooCowJoe. Good luck on the other schools!

giving up my interview spot due to kcumb acceptance. good luck guys

Hey guys,

Anyone flying into LAX on the 16th and want to share a shuttle bus from LAX to Pomona?

Message me if interested!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrat! is this your first choice? where did you say that you were from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Congrat! is this your first choice? where did you say that you were from?

I'm definitely leaning toward it. I'll have to do some serious analysis but it has been one of my top choices since the beginning. I'm from SoCal.

You email them for isac. So did it reallt take exactly 15 days to get a response?

The dreaded waitlist. Not surprising consider my stats.

The very last one

So you're willing to see past all that stuff you said you didn't like earlier?

Yeah. The thing is no school is perfect from having done some serious research. I rather go to school that I know the best than have to deal with a scholl which I don't reallt know what to expect. Plus I am comfortable here and think I can do well knowing thay there is nothing I do not know about socal.

Yeah. The thing is no school is perfect from having done some serious research. I rather go to school that I know the best than have to deal with a scholl which I don't reallt know what to expect. Plus I am comfortable here and think I can do well knowing thay there is nothing I do not know about socal.

I completely agree. I'm glad we finally see eye-to-eye. Good luck!

I just got my acceptance letter here!! Pretty sure ill be withdrawing in favor of AZCOM though.

Good luck everyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app, forgive my typos!

I like to bitch and whine like crazy. Keeps me alert. I reallt said all that stuff about western because I wanted someone to disprove me. I cared to much

Are you OOS guys?

My stats weren't bad. But, still, I'm an OOS.

dsoz mentioned way back in August that Western is a private institution and doesn't get state funds. Therefore they have no preference for instate applicants. But apparently they're hard on people with lower GPA's

I just got my acceptance letter here!! Pretty sure ill be withdrawing in favor of AZCOM though.

Good luck everyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app, forgive my typos!

Congrats dude!

dsoz mentioned way back in August that Western is a private institution and doesn't get state funds. Therefore they have no preference for instate applicants. But apparently they're hard on people with lower GPA's

3.90sci / 3.88 non-sci / double-major + masters

3.90sci / 3.88 non-sci / double-major + masters

I guess it was something else in your case then :confused: those numbers are crazy high!

::gets even more insecure::

Their stats prove that they prefer in-state, 84% from california, not to mention the dean himself said that they prefer in-state... and they also tend not to pick the people with super high gpa's all the time, they are looking for a specific type of student for their school which takes personality into account. I respect that because they are not all about having high numbers.

Their stats prove that they prefer in-state, 84% from california, not to mention the dean himself said that they prefer in-state... and they also tend not to pick the people with super high gpa's all the time, they are looking for a specific type of student for their school which takes personality into account. I respect that because they are not all about having high numbers.

I think a lot of that is self-selection bias. When I was there nobody mentioned anything about in-state preference, but the majority of the interviewees were from CA. I just think with all the qualified applicants from CA that want to stay there leading to a high number of CA residents who choose to enroll.

I think a lot of that is self-selection bias. When I was there nobody mentioned anything about in-state preference, but the majority of the interviewees were from CA. I just think with all the qualified applicants from CA that want to stay there leading to a high number of CA residents who choose to enroll.

clearly the admissions will not outright tell interviewers they prefer instate, that would be really silly, but as I stated, their own dean said it when he came to speak at one of the California universities a few months back. People can believe what they want, but I spoke with him personally and the stats only further justify this.

clearly the admissions will not outright tell interviewers they prefer instate, that would be really silly, but as I stated, their own dean said it when he came to speak at one of the California universities a few months back. People can believe what they want, but I spoke with him personally and the stats only further justify this.

Hahaha what if the dean says that Western prefers Cali residents when he goes to a Cali university but says that Western has no preference when he goes to speak at universities outside of California? (kidding)

In all seriousness though, it sounds like we have conflicting information. I went to a Western Preview Day and the first FAQ on the 1st page of the packet says that they don't give preference to California residents. I guess if the dean himself told people that they prefer Cali applicants then it has more weight than my Preview Day packet though...

+1

Below are from the Interview Day Orientation and Admissions Guidebook, page 25, Fast Facts:

Legal State of Residence
California 77%
Rest of the western US 8%
Mid-west, South, East 13% ... this is related with my case

Ethnicity
White non-hispanic 37% .. this is where I'm in
Asian 43% .... interestingly I saw a majority of students & applicants as Asians in the campus

Besides, I do exactly recall that I was asked by my interviewer that if it'd be hard for me to relocate from Florida to California, which I told a definite no.. Well, here I'm in the alternate list.

He basically said they want people from cali because they want them to give back to the community (in california) they want their students to graduate and serve the area

+1

Below are from the Interview Day Orientation and Admissions Guidebook, page 25, Fast Facts:

Legal State of Residence
California 77%
Rest of the western US 8%
Mid-west, South, East 13% ... this is related with my case

Ethnicity
White non-hispanic 37% .. this is where I'm in
Asian 43% .... interestingly I saw a majority of students & applicants as Asians in the campus

Besides, I do exactly recall that I was asked by my interviewer that if it'd be hard for me to relocate from Florida to California, which I told a definite no.. Well, here I'm in the alternate list.

Wow I didn't know there were that many asians at Western...but then again, this is socal :rolleyes:.

Maybe it had something to do with your ECs. Your numbers are high enough so that it wouldn't make that much sense to waitlist you, even if you are OOS.