Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a stilly question for western secondary. One of the questions is: Describe your participation in community service activities and state why this experience was important to you.
Do they want us to talk about all of the experiences and how they were important. Or mention all, and pick one and explain why that particular experience was imporant. How did you guys tackle this question?
Also, volunteering in hospital and shadowing will count as community service or no?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a stilly question for western secondary. One of the questions is: Describe your participation in community service activities and state why this experience was important to you.
Do they want us to talk about all of the experiences and how they were important. Or mention all, and pick one and explain why that particular experience was imporant. How did you guys tackle this question?
Also, volunteering in hospital and shadowing will count as community service or no?

Since it says "why this experience was important", I would talk about just one specific community service activity. It's up to you if you want to talk about the activity broadly or if you want to describe a specific situation that had an impact on you. I did the former for my secondary, worked out okay I think. They make the question vague on purpose so it can be interpreted differently between applicants.

I would count volunteering in a hospital as community service, but not shadowing.

Hope that helps!

I just picked a couple things I did and elaborated why they were important. I would only list the experiences that you actually learned something from. I used volunteering at a hospital as one of mine. I wouldn't list shadowing though. Although you could say you were able to shadow while volunteering at the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a little confused right now. I just got an email saying my app was ready for review..but I was complete and got a complete email in July..I'm lost.

I'm just a little confused right now. I just got an email saying my app was ready for review..but I was complete and got a complete email in July..I'm lost.

Haha got the same email. I was like "WTF?" But I was complete over a month ago. Hopefully they accidentally sent that when they MEANT to send an email inviting us for interviews?

Haha got the same email. I was like "WTF?" But I was complete over a month ago. Hopefully they accidentally sent that when they MEANT to send an email inviting us for interviews?

I think they call for interviews.

I think they call for interviews.

I know they do, but according to the email, "Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via phone or email to schedule a convenient interview date."

No, they said they'd have the letters out within 2 weeks, but there were some delays this time

That would be awesome. I guess it just means that even if we were complete way back when, there were too many apps on their plates to even look over ours. I guess they are telling us that our applications are finally going to get some face time. This could be very good or very bad. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any of the people who have INTERVIEWED OR BEEN INVITED received this e-mail???

so i got the email saying my app is being forward to lebanon adcom, which is my second choice, so is this pomonas way of telling me "thanks but no thanks?" lol

just got this email too: Good News! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via phone or email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time.

Sigh, this school giving me few seconds of joy with the "Good news" and then taking it away by telling me I haven't even been reviewed yet even though I have been complete for over a month.:bang:

just got this email too: Good News! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via phone or email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time.

Sigh, this school giving me few seconds of joy with the "Good news" and then taking it away by telling me I haven't even been reviewed yet even though I have been complete for over a month.:bang:

I've been complete since Mid-July. I emailed them asking about it. I'll let you guys know what they say. I'm just worried something was/is wrong with my app.

I've been complete since Mid-July. I emailed them asking about it. I'll let you guys know what they say. I'm just worried something was/is wrong with my app.

I have called them regarding my application status and they have told me that my app. is still under review. This is the reason why that recent email baffles me as it says my application barely got sent for review. WTF?!?! :mad:

I have called them regarding my application status and they have told me that my app. is still under review. This is the reason why that recent email baffles me as it says my application barely got sent for review. WTF?!?! :mad:

They emailed me back saying they sent it out to anyone still under review. Which I guess is better than no communication at all but is still frustrating.

They emailed me back saying they sent it out to anyone still under review. Which I guess is better than no communication at all but is still frustrating.
Well that might not bode very well for me. I was just recently complete and didn't receive that email...

Well that might not bode very well for me. I was just recently complete and didn't receive that email...

Everyone that received this email (I think) has been complete for months. If you were just recently complete I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Everyone that received this email (I think) has been complete for months. If you were hear recently complete I wouldn't worry about it.
images

my application supposedly went to adcom a few weeks ago. complete since end of august. How concerned should I be?

30-32 mcat, 3.55 gpa

I've been complete since july and mine only went to adcom yesterday. Wtf.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Same on that email.. seriously what a slow school.

Same on that email.. seriously what a slow school.

1. Not as slow as CCOM
2. They are probably busy getting our decisions to us (from first interview)

1. Not as slow as CCOM
2. They are probably busy getting our decisions to us (from first interview)

2 is the best troll comment I've ever seen. Lucky for me I already have 2 acceptances.

Is anyone interviewing tomorrow, 10/4?

2 is the best troll comment I've ever seen. Lucky for me I already have 2 acceptances.

They did say 10-15 days to hear back and yet not a peep since September 8th.

Searching for the rentals around Pomona, I'm shocked with the prices. No offense, but I've started being scared about how to afford the living with my family in California during medical school, by just depending on the student loans. Thinking about the long commuting costs during clinical years makes me scared more. :scared: I guess, I'll not stop but continue searching with my other school options, even I'll have an acceptance from here... money matters.

how far is that walk from the parking lot to the HEC? it looks like a long walk!!!

does anyone know if DO is Western's main focus? it seems like they spent a lot of money on their dental and vet program

Last edited:

I thought u withdrew all your other apps? Am i mistaken :confused:

Searching for the rentals around Pomona, I'm shocked with the prices. No offense, but I've started being scared about how to afford the living with my family in California during medical school, by just depending on the student loans. Thinking about the long commuting costs during clinical years makes me scared more. :scared: I guess, I'll not stop but continue searching with my other school options, even I'll have an acceptance from here... money matters.

Yea a few people I know who go to western are spending big bucks just to live in a decent apt, lol ahhh the thought of how much debt is killing me :-/ Western's surroundings aren't even nice enough to be charging what they charge for a place to rent, you would think you'd be getting an ocean view for the price of living lol

Argh no decision letters yet. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow.

how far is that walk from the parking lot to the HEC? it looks like a long walk!!!

does anyone know if DO is Western's main focus? it seems like they spent a lot of money on their dental and vet program

It looks like a far walk but the campus is actually pretty small.

For anyone who is curious, I received the "your application is complete and being forwarded to COMP Northwest" e-mail even though I have already been invited to interview at Pomona.

Not to sound bad, but it seems that Western's main focus is to generate income so they can expand the school. They started with the DO school, then kept adding more and more programs. They diversified instead of saturating the physician market in the area. Actually it is a pretty good investment model.

dsoz

Not to sound bad, but it seems that Western's main focus is to generate income so they can expand the school. They started with the DO school, then kept adding more and more programs. They diversified instead of saturating the physician market in the area. Actually it is a pretty good investment model.

dsoz

After talking to more and more people from this and other DO schools (physicians), I've started feeling that way, too. It's ironic, I used to love this school at first. However, day after another, my heart's getting farther and farther. :( We'll see..

i think most people fall in love with this school because it is presumably close to LA (without the usual traffic) and its in southern california even though it gets over 100 hot there in the summer

Please Western... Let me know your decision today.

I just called admissions. The lady said she's not sure when letters are going out and that the staff that might know are currently doing interviews. She said to call back after 1pm. Everyone call and bug them! jk

I just called admissions. The lady said she's not sure when letters are going out and that the staff that might know are currently doing interviews. She said to call back after 1pm. Everyone call and bug them! jk

They told us that that sent them out on Tuesday. Are you talking about for the second interview date in September or the first?

Maybe the second interview date will find out before the first.