Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just submitted my AACOMAS. will be applying here for next cycle :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's overall score... or maybe it's a hit or miss and they let some of the people in that they were suppose to screen out? Just guessing. Can anyone else verify this?

I think it's overall score... or maybe it's a hit or miss and they let some of the people in that they were suppose to screen out? Just guessing. Can anyone else verify this?

I shmoozed around MDApps for a while and found that almost all the DO schools consider overall score instead of individual subsection ones. I hope Western is friendly to me.

----

Last edited:
@lexi
Your scores are not that bad at all, as long as you explain that English is not your first language, you'll be fine I think. I have a 7 and during interviews, my interviewees seemed understanding

@lexi
Your scores are not that bad at all, as long as you explain that English is not your first language, you'll be fine I think. I have a 7 and during interviews, my interviewees seemed understanding

i don't think she mentioned English isn't her first language.
in fact, my guess is she was born in America.

but nice try being encouraging (?) haha

it happens. :laugh:

i don't think she mentioned English isn't her first language.
in fact, my guess is she was born in America.

but nice try being encouraging (?) haha

it happens. :laugh:

I posted a reply with the same type of response when I first read this, but I looked at Lexipi's other posts and she states elsewhere that she speaks english as a second language. However, Lexipi, you have the stats to be a competitive applicant! Good luck!

English is not my first language. Parents only speak Spanish so I grew up to be fully native is Spanish. I translate a lot for people at hospitals (live in underserved community where most people are Hispanic)

Thanks for the input linette and milkphlegm :)
Do you guys think that my glances will be hurt if I don't have a letter from a DO?
I do have letters from two physicians (who both emphasize my desire to work with underserved communities). I also have a letter from the prof I do research with and one from a chem prof. My fifth letter is from an English prof who is vouching for my abilities in writing (it's a really nice letter).

My problem really lies with reading under timed conditions (which I will work on during my gap year).

Thanks for the input linette and milkphlegm :)
Do you guys think that my glances will be hurt if I don't have a letter from a DO?
I do have letters from two physicians (who both emphasize my desire to work with underserved communities). I also have a letter from the prof I do research with and one from a chem prof. My fifth letter is from an English prof who is vouching for my abilities in writing (it's a really nice letter).

My problem really lies with reading under timed conditions (which I will work on during my gap year).

You should be fine with mcat scores
Some schools require do letter but western prefers it.
If you don't have a DO letter
Be prepared to answer what is osteoarthritis medicine? why you chose Osteopathy medicine? And to talk about experience shadowing a DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying too!
cGPA 3.25
MCAT 32
DO LOR
Hospital volunteer (4 yrs)
Couple hundred hrs of research
and other misc EC

Canadian!

You don't need a DO letter. Are you a California resident Lexipi?

Be prepared to answer what is osteoarthritis medicine? why you chose Osteopathy medicine? And to talk about experience shadowing a DO

Thanks for the advice! To be honest I really need to think about these questions.. I have shadowed a few DOs in the ER and I really don't find a difference between them and MDs...

That's great
As long as you have exposure

This schools Stats scares me. I am definitely below average, I hope they see beyond my 3.3 GPA. We will see Good luck everyone:luck:.

This schools Stats scares me. I am definitely below average, I hope they see beyond my 3.3 GPA. We will see Good luck everyone:luck:.

I feel you. I have 3.35/28 and don't secure about landing an interview there. The school is within 50 miles radius of top-tier MD programs (UCI, USC, UCLA, Loma Linda, and UCR). Students who don't get in these schools end up going to Western.

I feel you. I have 3.35/28 and don't secure about landing an interview there. The school is within 50 miles radius of top-tier MD programs (UCI, USC, UCLA, Loma Linda, and UCR). Students who don't get in these schools end up going to Western.

Loma linda is a top tier program? lol

Applied here as well, I would love to receive an interview to learn more about it than what's just online

This is my number one school. Traditional student, 3.4 cGPA/ 3.4 sGPA/ 33MCAT (11PS, 9VR, 13BS). OOS. Not an URM.

I'm super nervous! As you guys have said, this school is GPA-lovin' and I don't have that. :( Last year's thread was super nice and had lots of good input, hopefully this year's would be the same. :oops:

hey guys Im OOS (3.66 GPA, 27 MCAT) How do I look?

hey guys Im OOS (3.66 GPA, 27 MCAT) How do I look?

Try for the WAMC section. But your stats look a bit above average. No guarantees but you stand a chance.

Try for the WAMC section. But your stats look a bit above average. No guarantees but you stand a chance.

Hey starry I think you have very good chance with your MCAT. Apply MD you can get in there too :).
Ibn Alnafis : I am not at all relying on that school for obvious reasons.

Are you guys CA residents?
WAMC = what are my chances Thread

know someone who currently attends Western and their GPA was below the average but had MCAT above 30.

Western LOVES high MCAT scores.

They apparently weed out before sending secondaries from what I remember. Is this correct?

know someone who currently attends Western and their GPA was below the average but had MCAT above 30.

Western LOVES high MCAT scores.

I heard that they LOVE high GPA, but it's nice to hear someone say the opposite :D

Hey starry I think you have very good chance with your MCAT. Apply MD you can get in there too :).
Ibn Alnafis : I am not at all relying on that school for obvious reasons.

Are you guys CA residents?
WAMC = what are my chances Thread

Thanks!
They apparently weed out before sending secondaries from what I remember. Is this correct?

Yep. And about 60% of the people interviewed received acceptances.

has anyone received secondaries yet?

Finalizing my primary app ....can't wait to submit

--just submitted my primary application...7/9/13

Last edited:

Osteoarthritis medicine? Pretty sure they won't ask you that...

Anybody receive the supplemental yet?

Nothing either

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Essay prompts:

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the
experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to
become an osteopathic physician?

What was your most memorable community service
activity and how did it impact you?

I don't know what campus I choose. I applied to both California and Oregon. Is there much of a difference between the two?

So when you submit one secondary, you're automatically submitting to both schools if you sent a primary to both? Or are they two separate secondaries?

The instructions say that if you applied to both schools you should go ahead and complete the other secondary. On the drop down list for type of secondary, you can choose Lebanon Campus.

So when you submit one secondary, you're automatically submitting to both schools if you sent a primary to both? Or are they two separate secondaries?

I only applied to Pomona, but there is a little agreement you click off saying that you understand that submitting that secondary only means you're applying to Pomona. So I'm guessing Oregon will send another one.

I'm assuming that for those who didn't shadow a DO, we just substitute what we learned from the MD? Tricky question..

I applied to both Pomona and Lebanon. After looking at ~150k population of Pomona and ~15k population of Lebanon, I ended up choosing Pomona as my primary.

Finished application and submitted!

I applied to both Pomona and Lebanon. After looking at ~150k population of Pomona and ~15k population of Lebanon, I ended up choosing Pomona as my primary.

Finished application and submitted!

How long did it take you to write those essays?

How long did it take you to write those essays?
Couple minutes. I have written both essays for other secondaries. Just had to tweak them for this particular school. If I get an interview, it was the right call. If I don't, it wasn't. Took me longer to write why being a teaching assistant was a valuable experience, as I hadn't been asked that so far.

Couple minutes. I have written both essays for other secondaries. Just had to tweak them for this particular school. If I get an interview, it was the right call. If I don't, it wasn't. Took me longer to write why being a teaching assistant was a valuable experience, as I hadn't been asked that so far.

Did you write a long response to that? I was thinking about writing literally a sentence or two...do they want a full paragraph essay?

Did you write a long response to that? I was thinking about writing literally a sentence or two...do they want a full paragraph essay?
EDIT: Short answer, yes...full paragraph essay. I'd rather delete personal info as this will keep me anonymous on this site :)