Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did Western send out any rejections post-secondary yet?
I was complete 8/20 and I still haven't heard back from them.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the "application complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee for review" email. How long after this email did you guys hear back for a II or rejection?

Just got the "application complete and being forwarded to the admissions committee for review" email. How long after this email did you guys hear back for a II or rejection?

Probably depends on your stats; they might just keep you in the dark til interviews end if they don't want to reject you yet but also don't have room to offer you an interview...

I have a Lizzy of 63; I had the completed email since 9/6 and haven't heard anything since for a reference!

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 9/29.. pending the complete email.
How long did it take for you guys to be complete?

Submitted 9/29.. pending the complete email.

Finished 8/30 and had my completed email 9/6, so about a week.

This was back in August though, I think if you submitted it end of September, I wouldn't be too surprised if it might take a 2-3 weeks? But if you don't hear anything by next Tuesday, maybe call them or send an email?

Finished 8/30 and had my completed email 9/6, so about a week.

This was back in August though, I think if you submitted it end of September, I wouldn't be too surprised if it might take a 2-3 weeks? But if you don't hear anything by next Tuesday, maybe call them or send an email?
Awesome, thanks! I'll probably call, as you stated, next Tues if I don't hear anything.
It also seems like being complete to an II is dependent on the applicant, ranging from 2 days to weeks/months.

In a previous year's thread, someone stated:
"from aacomas verification/complete to secondary offered: 2 weeks
from time my secondary was turned in for COMP to mark as complete: 2 weeks
from that time to interview invite 2 days
from interview to decision notification: ~2 weeks (15 days)"

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, thanks! I'll probably call, as you stated, next Tues if I don't hear anything.
It also seems like being complete to an II is dependent on the applicant, ranging from 2 days to weeks/months.

In a previous year's thread, someone stated:
"from aacomas verification/complete to secondary offered: 2 weeks
from time my secondary was turned in for COMP to mark as complete: 2 weeks
from that time to interview invite 2 days
from interview to decision notification: ~2 weeks (15 days)"

This is helpful, thank you! For the people asking above, I submitted my secondary 9/21 and was complete as of this morning.

Does your app say "Application Materials Received"? By the looks of it, not everyone has received an actual complete email... Not sure exactly what to expect.

Does your app say "Application Materials Received"? By the looks of it, not everyone has received an actual complete email... Not sure exactly what to expect.
Yes it does. It seems like people are receiving complete emails though.
How did you get notified of your completion of Oct 1?

Got my acceptance call earlier today

GPA 3.6/SGPA 3.54/MCAT 506

Reactions: 5 users
Yes it does. It seems like people are receiving complete emails though.
How did you get notified of your completion of Oct 1?
I never received an email explicitly stating I was "Complete". My application status changed to "Application Materials Received" on 10/1, ~1 week after I submitted my MCAT scores through AMCAS.

I never received an email explicitly stating I was "Complete". My application status changed to "Application Materials Received" on 10/1, ~1 week after I submitted my MCAT scores through AMCAS.
Awesome, I guess I'm complete then! Even better. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an acceptance call earlier today as well. Interviewed 9/24.

Reactions: 3 users
Received an acceptance call earlier today as well. Interviewed 9/24.
Are they delayed? Because that's way longer than the 5-10 business days that they said we should hear back within.

This campus along with its sister campus notify accepted students by phone calls. If you don't receive a phone call when everyone starts getting acceptance call, you're likely waitlisted.
They may have changed things? At our 10/8 interview we were told decisions would only be sent out by snail mail. But maybe it's all a ploy to make the phone call that much more dramatic... lol

This campus along with its sister campus notify accepted students by phone calls. If you don't receive a phone call when everyone starts getting acceptance call, you're likely waitlisted.
Then looks like it's bad news for me. Interviewed 9/24 and still no call. :(

My secondary was received Sept 23 (with everything else, like MCAT scores and stuff mid/late August), but I haven't heard anything since...

How long is the usual response time? I understand that my secondary got in during the busy period.

My secondary was received Sept 23 (with everything else, like MCAT scores and stuff mid/late August), but I haven't heard anything since...

How long is the usual response time? I understand that my secondary got in during the busy period.

They said they've been through 1,300 applications of 3,800 received since you could submit your AACOMAS primary to offer 160 II's. I'd say sit back and keep your self busy.

Reactions: 1 users
They may have changed things? At our 10/8 interview we were told decisions would only be sent out by snail mail. But maybe it's all a ploy to make the phone call that much more dramatic... lol
This whole phone call thing must be new. I don't know anyone in the Class of 2019 (granted, I haven't spoken to everyone) who received a phone call. We all received letters in the mail.

Hi all, long time observer of SDN here and just decided to sign up to share with you that I also got accepted via phone call today. For the lack of better words, the call really made my day since I have been waiting to hear from COMP since last week when people started getting acceptance phone call. The silence really worried me. FYI, I was in the blue group! For those who are still waiting to hear from COMP, don't worry. I believe that the admissions committee is constantly reviewing the applications and making their decisions. My caller mentioned that they made the decision on my application yesterday (Tuesday). If you think you have a stellar application and your interview went well despite a glitch or two, I believe you will soon get the 909 phone call.

I have a question for those who have gotten the call, did your caller say that you will soon receive an acceptance letter or an email with what we have to do? I was so happy that I was speechless and did not clarify that with my caller. Thanks in advance for your response.

Congrats! What are your stats:

Thanks, ~3.2/~3.1/3.8 masters/33/IS

I have a question for those who have gotten the call, did your caller say that you will soon receive an acceptance letter or an email with what we have to do? I was so happy that I was speechless and did not clarify that with my caller. Thanks in advance for your response.

I was told I will receive an e-mail with all the instructions within 2 days!

Can some of you that interviewed give your view of the school? How did you see the school? The school has a reputation of being really cutthroat and malignant and I was wondering what people thought when they visited the school?

Hi all, long time observer of SDN here and just decided to sign up to share with you that I also got accepted via phone call today. For the lack of better words, the call really made my day since I have been waiting to hear from COMP since last week when people started getting acceptance phone call. The silence really worried me. FYI, I was in the blue group! For those who are still waiting to hear from COMP, don't worry. I believe that the admissions committee is constantly reviewing the applications and making their decisions. My caller mentioned that they made the decision on my application yesterday (Tuesday). If you think you have a stellar application and your interview went well despite a glitch or two, I believe you will soon get the 909 phone call.

I believe she mentioned that letters would be mailed out shortly after with more information about how to put the deposit down etc etc. However, I have not received anything yet :(

My application was completed and ready for review on 8/18. Think it would be ok to call in and check on the status of my application?

So are we supposed to get a complete email or not? I never got an email saying my application is complete, but on my portal, my status is that all application materials have been received.

How can I send an application update? Is it to a certain email address? If so, does the one update go to both the NW and the Pomona campuses?

My application was completed and ready for review on 8/18. Think it would be ok to call in and check on the status of my application?

I was complete that week as well. I called them last week and all they could tell me was that my file is in under review by the committee. They told me that they are having to deal with a lot of applicants, and that I will get either an email or a phone call if they committee makes a decision on my application. There was really nothing else that they could tell me.

Seeing as that people have been rejected post secondary, and that other people complete after our date received an ii, they must like us enough to not reject us yet, but not enough to give us an ii. Hopefully we'll hear back soon from Western!

Can some of you that interviewed give your view of the school? How did you see the school? The school has a reputation of being really cutthroat and malignant and I was wondering what people thought when they visited the school?
Just going to bump this

The school has a reputation of being really cutthroat and malignant
The school or the students? Care to cite a source for this? Definitely the first Ive heard anything like this, and quite contrary to the "reputation" I was previously aware of...

The school or the students? Care to cite a source for this? Definitely the first Ive heard anything like this, and quite contrary to the "reputation" I was previously aware of...

I live about 2 hours away and have visited the school multiple times. I also have friends in OMSI and OMSIII who have mentioned multiple times that the school has a very competitive spirit and students don't generally support one another as much as other schools. I'm not a student there and haven't interviewed yet so I was curious what other's thought. If you've heard other things, I welcome/appreciate your input as well.

Any 10/8 interviewees get a call? Just curious if they finished all of the 9/24 interviews

Reactions: 1 users
Based on separate preview and interview days, my impression is that they have an big emphasis on teamwork. They talked a lot about being a part of a team beginning even from the interview day where they had us in colored groups that we stuck with for the day and going on to the case study learning format. Maybe that was just me?

I live about 2 hours away and have visited the school multiple times. I also have friends in OMSI and OMSIII who have mentioned multiple times that the school has a very competitive spirit and students don't generally support one another as much as other schools. I'm not a student there and haven't interviewed yet so I was curious what other's thought. If you've heard other things, I welcome/appreciate your input as well.
I don't really know how students could support each other any more than they already do. We have a Facebook page with constant posts about study tips, online resources, and deadline reminders. If you walk up to any person in anatomy lab, they are always more than happy to answer questions for you or show you things that they have found. We are assigned a 2nd year student to help "guide us through" first year (called a COMP-anion) and my companion, as well as those of my friends, have been more than happy to answer questions, share study resources, etc (although, the level of interaction really depends on who you happen to be matched with). The TA's for our ECM (Essentials of Clinical Medicine) and OPP (Osteopathic Principles and Practice) classes are second years and they are more than happy to help answer questions during downtime in classes, as well.

Are all of the students hardworking and hoping to get good grades? Of course. But I have never witnessed that getting in the way of teamwork.

Reactions: 6 users
Yo, got some snailmail today after interviewing 09/24/15. Not a complete rejection (whew) but not an acceptance either--but definitely better than being in the dark after 3 weeks. Verdict: I am on the alternates list.

Apparently here's how it works for those wondering:

1. Update your application periodically/send in letters of intent/additionally LORs.
2.They review your application again on a routine basis.
3.They'll notify you given an opening in the class--people dropping their deposits (typically around March --> August)

Congrats on those who've gotten in, GL to future interviewees~

Reactions: 2 users
Got the "on-hold pre-interview" email today. I was complete and ready for review on 8/25.

Got the "on-hold pre-interview" email today. I was complete and ready for review on 8/25.

Same. I mean...I guess it's better than a rejection, but makes me wonder if I'll ever hear from them again.

Yo, got some snailmail today after interviewing 09/24/15. Not a complete rejection (whew) but not an acceptance either--but definitely better than being in the dark after 3 weeks. Verdict: I am on the alternates list.

Apparently here's how it works for those wondering:

1. Update your application periodically/send in letters of intent/additionally LORs.
2.They review your application again on a routine basis.
3.They'll notify you given an opening in the class--people dropping their deposits (typically around March --> August)

Congrats on those who've gotten in, GL to future interviewees~

Thanks for the insight! Can you share anything else about your app/experience that may have resulted in the alternate list vs. rejection?

It would be interesting to see the OOS/IS ratio for II. A very large portion of their class traditionally comes from CA.

It would be interesting to see the OOS/IS ratio for II. A very large portion of their class traditionally comes from CA.

I wanna say there were about 5-6 out of state/international out of 50 total interviewing.

Same. I mean...I guess it's better than a rejection, but makes me wonder if I'll ever hear from them again.
hmm... i applied here last year as well and heard back sometime at the end of the cycle about a rejection. lol atleast this time they were "early" with their decision. I'll be withdrawing from here since I have already been accepted at my top choice schools but I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you get an II/acceptance here! :)

II !!

gonna turn it down so someone else can have it. Goodluck yall!

For those accepted and who received their snail mail acceptance, how did you "verify that you are able to access your WesternU email"? Did you send an email to Admissions? Thanks!